[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What killed the side-scrolling beat em up?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 4

File: Final Fight 3 (U)001.png (460KB, 827x724px) Image search: [Google]
Final Fight 3 (U)001.png
460KB, 827x724px
What killed the side-scrolling beat em up?
>>
Mostly the fact that the first games in the genre were made to be quarter munchers. There's not a lot of strategy in those games outside of just feeding in more credits. More modern beat em ups like the Scott Pilgrim game (RIP), Castle Crashers, and Mother Russia Bleeds shows people like the genre if you add more to the game than just "Go right and hit everything)
>>
Streets of Rage Mania when
>>
Strangely enough, they were one of the few genres that successfully transitioned into 3d spawning the 3rd person character action stuff and the musou style games.
>>
>>388535436
There's a new Kunio-kun game coming out soon isn't there?
>>
File: Sengoku3_.png (212KB, 569x427px) Image search: [Google]
Sengoku3_.png
212KB, 569x427px
Best game.
>>
File: gauntlet_onlocation_front.jpg (71KB, 480x640px) Image search: [Google]
gauntlet_onlocation_front.jpg
71KB, 480x640px
>>388535436
games like this made the traditional side scrolling seem antiquated and old tech
then you had games like those single player MK adventures that convinced people to stop buying 2D beat em ups
and now you have bamham games that have essentially modernized the genre
>>
>>388536846
Only the RPG I think, none of the others have been localized yet and the JP ones are already out.

>>388535718
There's plenty of strategy involved if you want to 1cc those old games, it's just not something care to delve into because it's more about learning how the AI works and how to counter it rather than how to play your character which is the big difference between beat em ups of olde and modern beat em ups. Modern beat em ups have way more character involvement and much simpler AI and are designed around the player tearing through it as long as they are sufficiently proficient at the combat. The only modern beat em up to involve both learning the AI and learning your character is River City Ransom Underground, everything else makes the player a Juggernaut and calls it a day.
>>
>>388535718
is mother russia bleeds worth the money? i fucking love beat em ups and that is the only one (aside from the new Power Rangers one, which was surprisingly good) to catch my eye in the last year
>>
Just played this last night with my friend. Beat it on the hardest difficulty
>>
File: 1471929484220.png (592KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
1471929484220.png
592KB, 600x600px
>>388538946
I really enjoyed it the hell out of it. Some of the levels are specialized so that you mainly use a certain weapon, but there's not too many of those. I wouldn't say it's very deep, but the game feels fast and fluid, and it's a satisfying ride from beginning to end. I was expecting the Russian aspect to be really obnoxious and in your face, but it's treated like an actual setting, and the characters are surprisingly reasonable (not that they have a lot of dialogue). It almost feels like the winners don't do drugs slogan translated into a nightmarish drug-fueled beat 'em up story.
>>
>>388539369
sounds like fun, will pick up if i ever see it on sale. i'm glad that some indie devs have the nostalgia and courage to make beat em ups years after the genre went under, i can never get enough
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.