[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is Age of Empires 3 underrated?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 1

File: WC_Wallpaper1_1280.jpg (294KB, 1280x800px) Image search: [Google]
WC_Wallpaper1_1280.jpg
294KB, 1280x800px
Is Age of Empires 3 underrated?
>>
>>388524781
I like how it tried to introduce new things, but somehow forgot to implement things that make AoE 2 was so much fun to play. Naval battle sucks btw.
>>
>>388524781
I tried to figure out how to play this game for about an hour and eventually gave up.
>>
It was literally the best in series. People shitting on 3 are just parroting.
>>
It wasn't bad from what I remember.
>>
>>388524781
I like the campaign more than 2
2 has better melee
>>
>>388524781
nah, the amount of hate and enjoyment people give it (skewed toward extra hate because /v/) is appropriate for the quality of the game.
>>
it's pretty good with user expansions
>>
>>388527302
It tried to be AoM campaign but failed spectacularly.
>>
>>388526716
It takes 10,000 hours to master a skill scrub
>>
>>388524781
I love it. I hated all the resource micro in AoE2, like constantly having to remake farms (no one uses queues because they take up precious wood) and constantly having to build new lumber camps.

I'm wondering what they are going to change in the upcoming "definitive edition." Are they just going to update it so it runs better on newer systems, or are they going to make balance changes and try to improve the game?
>>
Bought AOE3 collection from some microsoft site years and years ago because it was like 10 cents.
Anyone know how the hell I even download it nowadays? I can see it in my purchase history, but there's no download link anywere.
>>
>>388524781
The civilizations are far more unique, the system of cards and experience allows very diferent strategies (90% of the competitive matches in aoe2 is a hit and run of crossbows until someone spams knights), bonus multipliers against certain units encourages the player to mix units and not spam only one unit, matches are more brief but equally as intensive as in aoe2.
Only downside is how hard is to micro compared to aoe2 (in aoe3 all ranged units basically start with ballistics researched and the speed of the projectiles are three times as fast the projectiles in aoe2).
Personally I also find the early gameplay more interesting (in aoe2 the only interesting stuff you may see during the first 7 min is some villagers dying from drush or scrush or a double boar stealing at best, while in aoe3 most matches are already over by that time).
Aoe3 is also less comfy, the map is smaller, and therefore less immersive and you'll hardly be able to keep units from dying. On the other hand is greatly optimized and graphics are still a 9/10.
>>
>>388529241
I hated that the cards required grinding and cheating with the .txt.

The civilizations were awesome, specially the New World ones.

>hard to micro
I never thought of AOE as a game that requires micro, except maybe a little bit when you are using horse archers.

>less comfy
Really weird since it's a game about colonization. All maps should have been bigger and there should have been more native trading outposts.
>>
>>388526716
Sucks to be retarded.
>>
>>388524781
I thought it was pretty good.
Not AoE2, or AoM good, but good on it's own right.
>>
>>388528060
>(no one uses queues because they take up precious wood) and constantly having to build new lumber camps

apart from everyone? rebuilding farms costs the same amount of wood as a que? have you never played aoe2? educated yourself
>>
>>388530098
The problem is that if you put 10 farms into the queue, it uses up 600 wood right away, rather than using up the wood as the farms are built. That's 600 wood you are tying up that you could be using to make archers or buildings.
>>
>>388530514
well maybe you should get good, its a part of the macro and general strategy, go watch high level games of AoE2 and see how smooth it is and how well it works with players skill

also learn 2 play
>>
>>388530596
Maybe try reading the post next time before you say "git gud"
No pro players use the queue because it ties up wood that you could use for other things.

They could fix it by making it so the wood is used as the farm is built rather than as the farm is added to the queue.
>>
>>388528645
If you download the Microsoft Games for Windows Marketplace client to your PC and sign in through that, you should be able to download it. I remember doing it like a year and a half ago. I'm on a fresh install now though and just tried it, and got a bullshit "error retrieving your purchase history, log out and try again later" which sucks. Since you can see it in your purchase history though, I imagine this might work for you.
>>
>>388524781
No it was shit at the time and nobody liked it.
>>
>>388531975
Tried that. It just instantly says connection error when I tried to launch that marketplace. Probably just easier to pirate it. Just annoying that can't legitly play a game that I paid for.
>>
>>388532995
What windows version are you on? I'm on Windows 7 and the application itself launches fine and lets me sign in.
>>
>>388524781
Nope, it's just bad in comparison to 1 and 2.
>>
>>388532995
On w10. Got it now working by uninstalling and reinstalling the marketplace, but now I get that "error retrieving your purchase history"
>>
>>388533746
Yeah, that's where I'm stuck too. I'll probably shoot them an email if it still doesn't work in a day or two. I do remember being able to download it about a year and a half ago and since this service has been dead for far longer than that, maybe there is still hope.
>>
>>388534446
Downloaded it last time maybe 4 years ago, but I think GFWL was still alive at that time. Oh well this was just a massive time waste. Sucks for those who had many games bought from that place. At least I only lost 10 cents.
>>
>>388534880
Welcome to the future, where everything is in the cloud and you don't really own anything.
Thread posts: 29
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.