[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

PoE Thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 112
Thread images: 6

File: header.jpg (54KB, 460x215px) Image search: [Google]
header.jpg
54KB, 460x215px
Hello /v/ I'd like to have a discussion about pic related. I'm about 20 hours in? Investigating that undead district. Although the game is the definition of "it gets good 10 hours in", I'm finding myself pretty immersed and enjoying the game a lot.

Lets discuss this game and possibly it's sequel
>>
it's shit
>>
>>388483182
It's a masterpiece.
>>
>>388483264
>>388483390
???
>>
>>388483182
Got a lot of flak from /v/ and other gamers online, but it's actually pretty dope, imo.

Kind of generic on the whole chosen one angle, but has some really neat ideas (like the dungeon underneath the fortress). + the personality system is nice. Quite enjoyed the combat, too.

I sitll feel like Tyranny is a better story (ruined by that ending), but PoE has a special place in my heart.

The sequel better be fucking good.
>>
>>388483541
This. My main complaint of PoE is that the setting feels way too safe. Your typical green farmlands, Western European boringness.

PoE2 looks a lot more ambitious though, so that should be wonderful. Can't wait.
>>
>>388483821
I mean, it went away from European boringness for a bit towards the second half.

I'm hopeful. Obsidian didn't shit on my soul yet
>>
>>388483821
>>388483541
I just play those games like I'm reading a Brandon Sanderson novel.

I'm just not a fan of real time turn based rpgs, the combat always turns into a cluster fuck.

Turn-based Tactical is where its at.
>>
It was a solid 8/10. I am looking forward to a smoother combat in the sequel. The way spells work is kind of clunky and I feel that having spells share accuracy stats with attacks was not a good idea.
>>
>>388483182
What class are you rolling OP? I'll be playing PoE for the first time soon an I'm torn on what class to play. Monk and Cipher both sound great. I'm leaning towards Cipher since it's unique to the setting and all the that.
>>
File: 1500976700650.png (1MB, 1125x900px) Image search: [Google]
1500976700650.png
1MB, 1125x900px
>get 15 hours into the game
>find out about "builds" and how important they are
>have the choice of grinding out a new character for another 15 hours or just continuing on
>say "fuck it" and delete the game

feels bad man
>>
>>388485352
Can't go wrong with Cipher. Abuse the blunderbuss for maximum memes.
>>
>>388485702
If only you could decrease the difficult, or make use of the PC platform to edit the save files or cheat.
>>
>>388485352
ciphers are a good combination of ranged damage and utility spells (debuf/crowd control). Monks are really good single target dps machines, but some people don't like their Wound System, which basically consists on the monk having to take damage in order to deal damage
>>
>>388485702
You know you can just respec, right?
>>
>>388485702

Builds are a meme you can even beat the game on path of the damned with unoptimized characters.
>>
>>388485352
OP here, I'm rolling a frost/shock pale elf wizard. Been having a good time so far

Question for you guys who played tyranny. Is this 7 buck dlc worth it for my first whirl?
>>
>tfw no mod to remove backer NPCs
>>
>>388486312
Did you imply that Tyranny is a 7 buck DLC, or...?
>>
>>388486448
I didn't even realize all that shit was backer shit. I thought at some point all that "backstory" I was reading about characters would be relevant to the plot of future sidequests or something

If you took them out the game would barely have any fricken NPCs at all like holy shit they overdid it
>>
>>388485939
The wound system isn't the most intuitive out of the box. Far from unplayable or anything, but you probably need a solid understanding of the defense system if you want a monk to be your top dps. I know the first few times I tried making a monk I ran into either being way too tanky and not generating wounds fast enough or being too squishy and being blown up immediately
>>
>still $40+ on steam
Sale when? I really want to play it and I check steam daily for a sale on this.
>>
>>388486529
No this Tales of Tiers or some shit is like 7 bucks. Has mixed reviews because it was "cut content" resold back. But like I got the game today so I'm not burned over it.

Sorry my wording was weird
>>
>>388486942
Dang. I got it on sale at xmas time 2015 for 20 bucks off Amazon
>>
>>388485352
Priest here. I feel like this is the best class for me - I always have good control of the situation in any fight, insane buffs and insane damage. The damage is almost as good as a wizard.
I'm thinking about going Priest/Monk or Priest/Rogue in the second game. Probably Priest/Monk to outheal the damage and have infinite wounds.
>>
can i just ditch durance or am i missing a good story from him
he's just so boring and fucking weird
>>
>>388487489
He has a good story that ties in with the plot of Waidwen and the Godhammer.
>>
Lots of cool ideas, mostly under utilised.

The personality system was neat. I pretty much always told the truth so it was nice that by the end of the game everyone would believe me on even outlandisg things.

The little narrative event things were interesting but weren't used enough. And even when they were it was mostly 'do this or take an injury'. The first expansion had really nice one early on though.

The combat gets pretty samey after a while. Lots of trash. And it runs into the same problem of other rpgs where you have to ration your per day stuff but the enemies can soam everything they have.

Plot was fairly by the numbers. But still interesting enough.

That said i found the expansions to be much, much better. So I'm reasonably optimistic for the sequel.
>>
>>388487489
After like your first vision of him you get a lot more information out of him and by the time you hit the city he's more of a person. Like holds a non Fucked conversation and even makes some jokes
>>
>>388486979
Can't say. I don't think I've played it. Sorry, anon.

>>388487489
Durance doesn't really get deeper, but you do realize a method behind his madness. Whether or not that is interesting to you - is up to you. I wasn't sorry I stuck with him. It was a nice, wholesome and enjoyable revelation, but not absolutely mindblowing. If you really hate him - don't be afraid to dump him. Point is - he's definitely not underwritten or something.

>>388487674
>i found the expansions to be much, much better

fucking this.

It's insane. The expansion also, imo, adds one of the most unique companions in recent RPGs.
>>
>>388487489
Keep him until you get to a point where you can get rid of him story wise, probably one of the best stories in this game. Also he's not going to be in the second game so you don't need to worry about continuity with him or even use him if you really wish.
>>
>>388487815
Which companion? Haven't hit the DLC but I wanna make sure I take said person.
>>
Also why is Edér the best Fucking party member in vanilla? I can't bring myself to not use him on any play through.
>>
>>388488071
Devil of Caroc

>>388488352
Relateable
>>
File: 1496885425335.png (83KB, 392x267px) Image search: [Google]
1496885425335.png
83KB, 392x267px
>having a good time with the game
>get to twin elms
>get a quest with two shitty options
>get another quest with two shitty options
>refuse a quest because I don't want to help that guy
>get quest with two REALLY shitty options

what the hell happened?
>>
>>388488457
I don't like when games force bad options upon you when if you were in the situation you could do things better.
>>
File: 265px-Pallegina-portrait.jpg (18KB, 265x420px) Image search: [Google]
265px-Pallegina-portrait.jpg
18KB, 265x420px
Has anyone ever tried a paladin or priest playthrough? How did it go?
>>
>>388483182
dozens or crucible knights OP?
>>
>>388488754
Good chunk into my dictator damage bleakwalker Paladin Play through. Accuracy Aura is so Fucking good. Started with like 18 int, the debuffs/buffs last forever. I like the bleak flavor and their flames attack. Using the Estoc from Dunstan that lets you cast blizzard. Having a blast man.
>>
>>388488754
Pretty fucking good >>388487198
I am my team's absolute power house and ultimate boss fighter. It was a drag in the beginning but the pay off is fantastic, I dropped even my mage character to continue my priest character. Since my spells I knew eventually my spells will become crits almost all the time I got merciless hand which increases crit damage by 30%. I really really really like how my priest is turning out. Don't know how it is on POTD because this is my first playthrough so i'm on hard.
>>
>>388488923
I went Dozens because Fucking Medieval robocops can only go poorly. Also animancy consistently fucks up and the knights forgot their roots to play "dress up order"

PS the Dozens squad during the Card Nua war obliterating the enemy battle mages was great
>>
>>388488754
aye, they can be played a tanky support or a hybrid of support and dps thanks to their auras
they're a welcome addition to any team
>>
>>388488754
Yup, my first playthrough (which I'm still on, I come back every now and again and play it for a couple of hours). I am a Death God-Like Bleak-Walker Paladin. It's a bit of a departure from my usual way of playing RPGs, i.e. be good guy and do good guy things of my first playthrough and then be le ebin badguy on my second playthrough. But I'm enjoying it so far.
>>
>>388489179
priests are one of the best classes in the game

the final boss is one
>>
>>388489504
Thaos ain't got nothing on my faith when I get to him.
>>
>>388489304
House Doemenal all the way for me.
>>
>>388489094
roleplaying wise, does it change the game a lot? I like the order thing.
>>
>>388489654
i forgot about those, i ended up killing them, are their quests good?
>>
priest, chanter, or paladin
i want to play as a full time supporting leader while my companions do all the manhandling for me
>>
>>388489664
Depends on your take on "game" I guess. Overall no. But it does let you make some order specific dialogue choices and since you're forced to play within your bounds to keep your stat buff (trait withheld) you won't do something just because it's efficient. I'm ending up with a lot more fights than necessary because my set up. Although you could do it as another class.
>>388489654
I didn't know you could even side with them until my 2nd play through. Pretty neat
>>
>>388489812
They're pretty dirty but they're the most neutral of the bunch. Worth it alone just to get the perk that makes you do 30% more crit damage imo.

>>388489856
Depends what ''type'' of support you want to do but the priest will be the strongest in general. You'll also be able to take out the toughest of enemies and bosses with just a priest if you give it time to bloom
>>
PoE slowly patched in things that should've been in when it launched like the party AI so you could automate all the per-encounter skills instead of having to micromanage every goddamn knockdown and holy smite and barbed arrow and whatever else. Hell, when it came out you couldn't even respec, i saw the Inns had that option though. I had replayed it sort of recently and the difference between PoE 1.0 and 4.0 (or whatever their current build is) did show a lot of improvement in some aspects. They couldn't clean up the rough draft writing which was such a shame.

heard PoE2 is entirely doing away with the Vancian shit casting system which has never worked in any cRPG thanks to unlimited resting, so maybe the gameplay will be a bit better thanks to that too.
>>
>>388490032
>heard PoE2 is entirely doing away with the Vancian shit casting system which has never worked in any cRPG thanks to unlimited resting
Really now? That'd be neato.
>>
>>388490032
Steal cooldowns from Tyranny. The way spells were handled were probably the best thing about that game.
>>
Sorry OP but, just bought Tyranny; hope it lives up to PoE's level
>>
>>388490895
It doesn't, but it's still a decent RPG. The problem with the game is that it's just blatantly unfinished and could have been so much more.
>>
>>388490965
Fuck
>>
>>388491098
Just play it, nigger. It's worth a playthrough just to get disappointed at the thought of what could have been for sure.
>>
>>388491260
Once it finishes DLing ill boot it right up.
>>
>>388490895
>>388490965
I think they're releasing an expansion soon.
Takes place during the story so it won't clear up the sequel-bait ending but it might feel a bit more complete.

Voices of Nerat > Graven Ashe
>>
>>388491441
I hate them both but I think Nerat is less of a hypocrite than Graven Ashe.
>>
As someone who somewhat enjoyed PoE I have been debating about getting Tyranny. I prefer shorter games and the improved combat mechanic may be what I am looking for.
>>
Can they just take a page from ToEE and make combat turn based

Real time/pause combat plays and handles like ass I dont know why obsidian is so obsessed with it
>>
Do I go frost magic or shortbow lads?
>>
>>388493509
if you prefer forced turns rather than taking turns at your own lesuire you're a plebian of the highest caliber
>>
>>388493789

I haven't used bows, but ice based spells are pretty fun. Chill fog at level 1 is pretty imba since it can blind and the blind roll is triggered every 2 seconds, so it's one of the few spells that don't rely on good accuracy.
>>
File: 7,62.jpg (742KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
7,62.jpg
742KB, 1024x768px
>>388493509
>I dont know why obsidian is so obsessed with it
Because, theoretically, RTwP is far superior to any iteration of turn based combat when it comes to tactical depth. The problem is that RTwP combat system is much harder to make than a TB one, but if Obsidian keeps trying, they will eventually reach the level of picrelated and then any and all TB RPGs will become obsolete overnight.
>>
>>388493881
except that's wrong because my tastes are superior and you are a tool

>>388495104
please recommend me some games with good RTwP
>>
>>388495724
it's not a matter of taste
in one you're forced to take turns
in the other you take turns whenever you want and let the game run when you don't need to
it's objectively superior
>>
>>388495724
When it comes to squad tactics, 7.62 High Caliber is king, no other game or system comes even close. Once you're done with 7.62, play Marauder, it uses the same combat system, but the game itself is a much more linear and story focused experience while 7.62 is JA-like in its freedom.

If you want a bigger focus on stealth and infiltration, play the Commandos series and then the new Shadow Tactics game.

If massive battles are your thing, Total War games are what you want. I would advise you to start with Total War Warhammer, due to the simplified and streamlined grand campaign map gameplay it has, so that you can focus mostly on RTwP tactical battles.

Once you play these games, you'll know enough about the genre to find more.
>>
What is a good class to use in PoE for a newcomer? Would a Sword and Board Fighter be any good?
>>
>>388495104
>TB becomes obsolete

What, you are full fucking retarded.
>>
>>388495854
and my tastes are objectively superior to yours considering you lack the ability to demonstrate right from wrong

>>388496096
I loved JA2 and Xcom, so I'm curious to see what you mean in 7.62 by its JA-like freedom. Thanks for the rec anon.
>>
>>388496353
Yes. A Fighter with a shield is very solid and can become pretty much untouchable. You can solo the game on PotD ironman with a shield&weapon Fighter.
>>
>>388496353
thanks to balancelord josh sawyer they're all the same shit really and you can't fuck up no matter what you do
>>
>>388496405
TB systems are simplified and casualized RTwP systems, kiddo. Sad, but true.
>>
>>388496441
Neat, sounds great.

>>388496456
That is good. I fell for the "classmixing memes" of D:OS and ended up with garbage party members that can't cast well or tank well. Restarted and went with more straightforward builds, things went so much better.
>>
>>388496353

Fighter is fine as a beginner class. You don't need to focus much on defensive talents. They are latently potent on defense already so grab offensive ones like Discipline Barrage, Confident Aim, Weapon Specialization, Armored Grace, Clear out.
>>
>>388496353
if you choose weapon specialization feats it usually gives you a range of weapons that deals with various situations. Don't be afraid to drop your sword and board and pick up a DR-piercing two handed estoc against resilient enemies because your feat will likely support it.

also >>388496456
>>
>>388496573
Multiclassing doesn't work in DOS at all. Whoever suggested you to do that is a fucking retard.
>>
>>388496413
>you lack the ability to demonstrate right from wrong
you lack the ability to form a coherent sentence and to seperate facts from opinions
>>
>>388496621

Can't forget charge. That's the ability that greatly boosts Fighter damage.
>>
>>388496573
>That is good.
if you have a choice and every choice you can make is the right choice are you really making a choice?
>>
>>388496776
I mean, I get where you are coming from, but it's nice that everything is viable.
>>
>>388496776
Mongoloid, if you have shit classes in the game then those classes stop being viable choices. PoE classes are balanced in such way that you can finish the game on the hardest difficulty setting with each and every one of them. They do not offer the same functionality, gameplay mechanics or even flavor, but they do offer usefulness on a level that is high enough to overcome any challenge in the game solo. You are fucking retarded and your comment about classes being "all the same shit" is retarded as well.
>>
>>388497062
>You are fucking retarded and your comment about classes being "all the same shit" is retarded as well.
every class is the same, WoW inspired cooldown masher, they all play basically the same. Yeah, having useless classes is bad game design, but at least in old unbalanced game you had to strategize and figure out the optimal party lineup, if everything just works what decisions are you really making?
>>
>>388496776

This is not remotely close to being true. Playing as a spellsword with Fighter or going tanky with Rogue is a lot less effective than many of the choices. Just because it's possible to complete a game with any choice does not mean they are equal.
>>
>>388497264
>every class is the same
Wrong, you are fucking retarded, you haven't even played the game. Fighters, fr example, do not have the CC capacity of Wizards. Another example would be Monks, who do nto have the defensive capabilities of Fighters and have to rely on taking damage instead. This alone is enough to prove that you're full of shit.
>>
>>388497456
I finished the game on the 'super hard' path of the damned difficulty which they claimed I would need to abuse mechanics and create a custom party on my second playthrough with the default characters
>>
>>388497650
How does that make you not retarded? You're a fucking mongoloid if you think a CC focused Wizard plays in the same fashion or has the same capabilities as a Fighter, end of story. Now go neck yourself for spouting bullshit and spreading disinformation.
>>
>>388497816
how are you this mad over someones opinion on the internet
compare PoE classes to Baldurs Gate for example, every class in PoE just feels incredibly homogenized with the same amount of cooldown spells and the same general effectiveness in combat (and no class actions make a difference out of combat)
>>
>>388498449
>compare PoE classes to Baldurs Gate for example
You mean compare PoE with a game where all other classes apart from the Wizard might as well not exist because of how broken the magic system is? BG classes are trash, just as your shit opinion based on complete nonsensical bullshit.

> every class in PoE just feels incredibly homogenized
Stop spouting words you don't even understand. There is nothing "homogenized" about PoE classes. All of them have different functionality in various tactical aspects (damage output, tanking, CC, healing, buffing and others), all of them have different flavor, all of them play differently. You have no clue what the fuck you're even talking about, dumbfuck.
>>
>>388498449

Each enemy has different immunity to ailments and damage type, so no, similar effectiveness does not describe the spell system, or even the damage system in general.
>>
>>388498828
in baldurs gate, fighters attack on autopilot and only require positioning, mages require micromanagement, and thieves do out-of-combat utility
of course bg is an unbalanced game and the thieves are pretty much useless, but at least the classes play fundamentally differently, I'm not talking about the specific application of their spells
>>
>>388498828
Also, forgot to add: the only thing that's actually "similar" between the classes is their combat effectiveness potential, but this potential can be achieved through different means not only by different classes, but, in some cases like the Wizard, by different means within a single class as well. And even then the power ceiling is not really the same, it's just that all classes in the game are powerful enough to deal with the biggest challenges on their own, but that doesn't make them "same".
>>
>>388498990
>but at least the classes play fundamentally differently
How does a Fighter and a Wizard NOT play fundamentally differently in PoE, shitstain? You are literally insane, fuck off.
>>
>>388499060
read my post
>>
>>388483182
This game is as mediocre as you can get. I neither loved or hated any aspect of PoE
>>
>>388499117
Already read it, it's nothing but bullshit. Again, mongoloid, how does a Fighter and a Wizard NOT play fundamentally differently in PoE?
>>
>>388498828
He's clearly drawn his opinion (at least in part) from this:
https://youtu.be/NLIq4ceXZAw?t=135
The lack of balance in Baldur's Gate was part of the fun. It's a single player game, who cares if people do cheesy things?
>>
>>388499060

He's just copy pasta, but to play devil's advocate, Wizard can melee, but they don't become effective until they have enough levels to overcome their stat deficiency and have at least 4 spell uses for their first 3 levels.
>>
>>388499224
>The lack of balance in Baldur's Gate
Is nto the only problem with the class system of that game. All classes apart from, arguably, the Cleric are highly underdeveloped and lack functionality compared to the Wizard/Sorcerer in BG. This jarring disparity in class development is as shitty as the lack of balance itself.
>>
>play game blind
>get to first stronghold
>learn that its haunted and being fucked with by some "master below" that I must take care of if I really want to run the place
>since its my stronghold and I want to be comfy in it, decide to go down and take care of him
>kill like 6 bosses each one I tell myself "surely this is the master below" but its not and the shit just keeps going
>end up spending literally 30 hours in the "endless" paths, start to believe that this is actually the whole game and that the master below is the last boss
>reach a point where I cant continue because I need some secret password or key
>go back to the top and begin searching for it
>realize I barely even started the game yet and that theres like 90% of the story left
>>
>>388499397
not every class needs to have alot of abilities or micromanagment, considering you have a party of characters and not just one
>>
>>388499504
>not every class needs to have alot of abilities or micromanagment
So some classes should be trap options for the player and should feature only simplistic, barebones gameplay compared to other classes? Is this what you consider good class design? Holy shit, you are literally insane.
>>
>>388483182
I really want to enjoy this game put it runs like shit on my computer even though look like it was made 2003. Has anyone heard if they'll improve performance in deadfire.
>>
>>388499579
did I say classes should be trap options? I said not every class needs the same amount of micromanagment, seeing the gameplay is the sum of your party members and not just your created character
>>
>>388499659

It's something they talked about. I don't think there should be any issue in the sequel.
>>
>>388499659
I haven't heard anything official but I'd say it's unlikely.
POE ran fine for me but Tyranny cooks my computer and I doubt that they'll make POE2 less intensive to run than Tyranny.
>>
>>388499674
>I said not every class needs the same amount of micromanagment
Except it's not only about the micromanagement, you dumb cuck. In fact, it's not about micromanagement at all. It's about all classes having similar gameplay mechanics depth, so that the player would not get cucked out of tactical depth when playing the game.

As an example, compared, a Fighter and a Wizard in BG2. What can the fighter do until he reaches his ToB HLAs? Autoattack, that's fucking it. What can the Wizard do? Absolutely everything the game has. It's trash class design with every single class that is not Wizard/Sorcerer and maybe Cleric being a trap option that drastically dumbs down the gameplay for the player.

>the gameplay is the sum of your party members
Yeah, in a game that allows you to have arbitrary party composition, mongoloid. Not every party is guaranteed to have a Wizard, some people would simply like to not pick any casters at all. In BG games, such players would be reduced to a shitty, soul-crushing slog consisting of nothing but autoattacking and potion gulping. In PoE, the non-caster classes have drastically more tactical options and can do most things in the game TO A CERTAIN EXTENT. This, however, does not make them "same", because different classes are good at different things and bad at others, but the overall depth of gameplay mechanics for each class is similar in PoE, which is good.
>>
>>388500094
>As an example, compared, a Fighter and a Wizard in BG2.
*As an example, compare a Fighter and a Wizard in BG2.
>>
>>388496521
What?

I honestly don't believe you.
Thread posts: 112
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.