[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

D44M

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 4

File: doom-2016-walkthrough-640x325.jpg (45KB, 640x325px) Image search: [Google]
doom-2016-walkthrough-640x325.jpg
45KB, 640x325px
I thought this was supposed to be a big middle finger to cinematic gaming.
>>
>>388470817
Whatever nerd
>>
who said that?
>>
Haha why is MAster Chief in Doom now?
>>
>>388470817
its fun but bows to a lot of modern conventions that /v/ conveniently forgets about when shilling for this game.

to be clear, i like doom. BUT its definitely not a purist experience.
>>
>>388470927
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t1qQRMonLZc
>>
>>388470927
Someone made a video saying it did that.
Don't watch it: it's just another nobody thinking they understand game design.
>>
It's kind of amazing how they convince people to regurgitate the PR lines like this.
Doom and the new wolfenstein games are a complete joke btw
>>
>>388470989
nobody who likes this game is old enough to have played pre-console fps games
>>
>>388471689
>I am very old and le proud of still posting on 4chan!
Kys
>>
>>388471689
I liked new order too, fag
>>
>>388471851
no im not proud of being here I wish I could leave but there's nowhere to go
>>
>>388470989
Not all modern conventions are bad, what's wrong with it?
>>
This is the first game I legit had to stop playing because of its pacing. I ended up trading it in.

What I wanted (and thought I was getting thanks to expectations + reviews) was a balls-to-the-wall FPS with over the top gore and barely a moment to breathe. What I got was an okay FPS that schizophrenically went from 100 to 0 to 100 to 0 to 100 every two minutes, with the 0 sections lasting considerably longer. No, funnily enough I don't want to spend ten minutes wandering around looking for keys and doors while trying to use a god-awful 3D map, I just want to play with my new shotgun in an orgy of gore that lasts longer than thirty seconds.

I'm just glad I picked it up second hand.
>>
>>388474489

>What I wanted (and thought I was getting thanks to expectations + reviews) was a balls-to-the-wall FPS with over the top gore and barely a moment to breathe.

The only FPS I can think of that legitimately delivers that kind of experience is Serious Sam, and that game is an affront to level design. Doom has always been bursts of action with keyhunting (unless we're bringing Nuts.wad into the argument), so I don't see why you'd think a modern interpretation of Doom would be any faster than it used to be.
>>
>>388470927
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HQGxC8HKCD4
>>
>>388473834
i really dont like how the game pushes you to do the collectibles, theres mini doom guys you collect, theres praetor tokens which you put into your doom suit like letting you use powerups longer, theres challenges which you spend on a weapons skill tree, and then theres the big balls i cant remember that you collect to upgrade your total health or ammo or shield.

you have glory kills which they pretend are EPIK but on higher difficulties (and in challenges) are required because they yield the most ammunition and health

they have alternative firing modes which i actually like

they have jumping and double jhumping which i actually like

they have excellent level design which i like

they have an opening cutscene that doomguy skips for you which i like

but then they have these shitty YOUR STUCK IN THIS SPOT WHILE EXPOSITION IS DUMPED ON YOU segments which seems a bit contradictory to the opening.

they have frequent checkpoints which is kind of a wash, some of them are fair and send you back a little ways, some are like "OH YOU DIED IN THIS FIGHT, JUST REDO THIS FIGHT"

enemy animations and movements are pretty good too.

like i said, i like the game, but its not JUST LIKE OLD DOOM like lots of people on /v/ were saying, its a brutal FPS that does what it does very well, but also adopts a lot of shitty conventions(namely the skill trees and collectibles)
>>
NuDoom is more similar to Painkiller than any of the classic Doom games
>>
>>388474709
Fair point, my expectations were misguided. I really loved SS and Painkiller, that was more what I wanted from doom.
>>
File: tfw serious.png (21KB, 557x605px) Image search: [Google]
tfw serious.png
21KB, 557x605px
>>388475092
its okay
i also like serious sam more than doom
>>
I couldn't keep playing beyond the first level because of the glory kills.
>>
>>388471689
>Tastes can't change over time
>Pong is the only good game you faggots
>>
>>388475092

If you can tolerate the retro graphics, STRAFE might satisfy your cravings, since it's pretty hectic and doesn't really have keyhunts (unless you want to find secrets). Otherwise it's pretty straightforward run'n'gun gorefest.
>>
>>388470817
Arcade Mode cuts out all the cinematic shit, it's the best way to play the game.
>>
>>388475452

>Pong
>not Colossal Caves

goddamn casuals
>>
>>388470817
....and you'd be correct?
>>
File: 1503778360511.png (2MB, 1543x6892px) Image search: [Google]
1503778360511.png
2MB, 1543x6892px
>>388475457
STRAFE is junk. You can't procedurally generate good level design. Just play Doom wads if you want more Doom.
>>
>>388474874
>YOUR STUCK IN THIS SPOT WHILE EXPOSITION IS DUMPED ON YOU segments
They really should just make cutscenes instead. At least you can usually skip a cutscene if you want.
>>
File: doom2_cybersky01.jpg (67KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
doom2_cybersky01.jpg
67KB, 800x600px
>>388475457
If you've already played all the Sam games, some custom maps, and are looking for more, you may want to try Shadow Warrior (2013)/2

>>388475092
I thought STRAFE was trash tbqh, half the enemies from any point on the map just rush to you, meaning most of the level is empty after a boring meat grinder

>>388475743
my nigga beat me to it, even with the new chart. specifically you said you prefer less exploration and more hoards, so slaughtermaps and gameplay mods are probably more your speed

I'd recommend combining any of these following gameplay mods that appeal to you:
>Russian Overkill
>Trailblazer
>Demonsteele
>D4T

with any of the following maps:
>CyberskyXXXI
>Slaughterfest2012
>Alien Vendetta
>Going Down

I can vouch personally for Russian Overkill and CyberskyXXXI in particular being a riot, especially with thrash metal playing in the background.
>>
>>388476554
russian overkill is a fucking meme wad full of overpowered weapons that make the game trivial
>>
>>388470817
>OHHHHHH MY GOD THIS GAME TOOK CONTROL AWAY FROM ME FOR 5 WHOLE FUCKING SECONDS IM GONNA NEED THE EXTRA THICC BUTTPLUG FOR THIS

lol
>>
>>388476648
the nigga said he liked painkiller
painkiller is the definition of mindless shooter
i was curating to his tastes you autist
Thread posts: 32
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.