[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How I'd design Half Life 3

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 7

File: 1501920181791.gif (1MB, 400x533px) Image search: [Google]
1501920181791.gif
1MB, 400x533px
I'd probably have the Borealis still have half the crew alive, and occasionally travelling to other universes, having to live off of whatever they can find as they are unable to find Earth again.

The game takes place in 6-dimensional space, with the familiar 3 spatial dimensions, but also 3 universal dimensions.
If one were to render the latter 3 dimensions, it would be a shell of universes surrounding Xen; and every point in this shell is an entire universe.

The player acquires at some point in the game a portal gun, but instead of creating a hole in the wall you are facing towards, it translates spatial orientation to universal orientation and creates a tunnel facing towards the universe you're pointed at.
This would explain something of Half Life's canon: The difficulty of same-universe teleportation.
A "horizontal" teleportation would send you to the universe next to yours, a "upwards-diagonal" teleportation would send you to some other universe, an "upwards" teleportation would send you to Xen, and a "downwards" teleportation would send you god-knows where. None of those send you to the same universe, only a clever trick with upwards teleportation sends you to the same universe.
cont.
>>
Your goal, of course, is to track down the Borealis wherever it is in 6 dimensional space.
However, the Combine are also capable of multiversal travel, so they're trying to track down the Borealis too.
And the Borealis itself is often on the move, and modified to the point of unrecognisability, having salvaged mostly-biological components from hundreds of alien planets.

Unlike the Borealis, the player doesn't get lost, because their portal gun actually keeps track of where home is.
But however they track down the ship will probably be something crazy like detecting minor fluctuations in 6-dimensional space, so if they're near (close universally or spatially) to a place that was teleported to/from, they can detect that teleport.

It's meant to be a game that's hard to win (you don't get guided through a linear campaign), but fun and interesting to play, since you're travelling through a multiverse.
Technology has come a long way, enough that a supercomputer could populate this multiverse with tens of thousands of strange and unique aliens.

cont.
>>
>>388462152
nice
>>
When the player finally does track down the Borealis, the game still isn't over.
Does the player join the crew, explain everything to them, and help them hide from the Combine?

Does the player attempt to destroy the ship, as they were told to?

A third, even crazier option is to attempt to destroy the Combine; the Borealis would be the ultimate weapon, given that it has collected some of the most useful biological specimens in the multiuniverse, and could be easily set up to fuck up an entire planet with portal technology.

The resonance cascade was an accident, imagine what would happen if a ship deliberately caused as strong a resonance cascade as possible, and one that interacted with a planet way more dangerous than Xen.

It'd turn the entire planet into some Lovecraft nightmare.

Of course, allowing that would mean that the ending is hard to continue anything from, since depending on the type of ending the bulk of the Combine may or may not exist.
>>
File: bap bap bap.webm (254KB, 392x176px) Image search: [Google]
bap bap bap.webm
254KB, 392x176px
>every HL3 complaint/speculation thread gets loads of replies easily
>a game design that builds on canon while still being something radically different is a trip straight to page 10
This board sucks.
>>
>>388463808
Sorry, dude. I appreciate your passion for the game and the fact you put thought into this, but I ain't reading all this shit. Learn how to summarize.
>>
>>388463808
try not being a fucking faggot animeposter next time
>>
File: 1499571150457.png (139KB, 479x471px) Image search: [Google]
1499571150457.png
139KB, 479x471px
>>388464032
get a load of this nerd
>>
>>388464134
Get a load of this neogaffer
>>
>>388463941
Actually I haven't played any Half Life games, I just like screwing around.

And the problem with summaries is that although in theory, people should read the summary and then the exposition, people read the summary and then complain about things that are explained in the exposition.
>>
File: yeah ok.jpg (15KB, 342x345px) Image search: [Google]
yeah ok.jpg
15KB, 342x345px
>>388464184
>Actually I haven't played any Half Life games, I just like screwing around.
Are you fucking kidding me? You wrote all of this shit and you haven't even played one god damn game in the series?
>>
File: 1501458872451.gif (20KB, 80x70px) Image search: [Google]
1501458872451.gif
20KB, 80x70px
>>388464308
look at me go
>>
>>388463808
>Why isn't my fanfiction getting attention.

Because you attached it with an unrelated image and quite frankly, it's trash and literally has nothing to do with the series besides shoehorning Borealis and Combine in it.
>>
>>388462152
ANIME GIRL
>>
File: 1472958497351.jpg (37KB, 348x342px) Image search: [Google]
1472958497351.jpg
37KB, 348x342px
>>388464785
>has nothing to do with the series besides continuing the story where it left off
The only part that deviates from canon is that in HL2, it's implied (but not clearly) that the Borealis still exists in our universe.
Which doesn't make sense; given how difficult same-universe teleportation is, malfunctioning teleporters should send you anywhere BUT the same universe.

That, and that it removes any sense of vagueness from how the Half-Life multiverse works.
Usually fanfiction adds vagueness to be edgy.
>>
File: 1488711231934.jpg (280KB, 731x1000px) Image search: [Google]
1488711231934.jpg
280KB, 731x1000px
>>388465391
AMINE RIGL
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.