[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Never played pokemon, where should I start? 3ds only tho

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 10

File: 103.jpg (190KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
103.jpg
190KB, 1000x1000px
Never played pokemon, where should I start?

3ds only tho
>>
firered/leafgreen
>>
Don't start play Pokemon with 3ds. There pretty medicore.

I would wait for switch games or wait For ultra sun and moon in November
>>
>>388450724
Well you're on a pc, so you actually have access to all of the handhelds if you spend the 5 minutes to download an emulator. Should you go with that, start from either red/blue or FireRed/LeafGreen. Follow Chronological Order.

If you insist on starting with 3ds, DL the yellow virtual re-release, then gold/silver at the end of next month. Following that would be XY, ORAS, Sun/Moon, UltraSun/UltraMoon.
>>
File: 1342890714438.gif (109KB, 730x730px) Image search: [Google]
1342890714438.gif
109KB, 730x730px
>>388450724
Red or Blue on the 3DS Virtual Console
Or just emulate them on PC as suggested, although I'd say the portability factor is pretty important and playing something like that on a phone with no buttons sounds less than ideal to me
>>
G/S/C/HG/SS
>>
So there isn't any must-play release?
>>388451030
>>388451827
Thanks anons, the reason i don't emulate is that I don't really have time to play on PC, hence the 3ds
>>
The 3ds games are pretty bad.
>>
File: nintenbabbies.png (9KB, 213x236px) Image search: [Google]
nintenbabbies.png
9KB, 213x236px
Play pokemon emerald and beat the battle frontier. Congrats you played the only pokemon game you need to play after gamefreak nuked the series with bullshit.

>or just play a mystery dungeon game where all the cool kids hang out and where pokemon is fun
>>
>>388452191
This.
>>
File: [tips hat].gif (968KB, 499x374px) Image search: [Google]
[tips hat].gif
968KB, 499x374px
>>388452590
>So there isn't any must-play release?
The fanbase is huge as fuck and people like different things about the games, if you've ever visited a 4chan Pokemon thread before you'd know people can fight endlessly about which games they think are the best in the series. It's better to just form your own opinion. Personally, although I recommended you to start with the first games, I like the '5th gen' games best (Black & White Versions, and their sequels Black 2 & White 2).
>>
Do you have any interest in playing the whole series and seeing its history and how it has developed? Or do you just want to play the best that the series has to offer?

If it's the first, play them in chronological order right from the beginning. If the latter, feel free to pick either Emerald, Platinum or HG/SS. Fire Red and Leaf Green are also good (although not quite up there in the top tier) and playing them first allows you to appreciate some parts of HG/SS better.

And the fact that you have only 3DS? Doesn't matter, anything can emulate the older ones perfectly.
>>
>>388453306
This, but don't play them one after another because you WILL get burned out.
>>
>>388453306
This, but also add BW and BW2 to those recommended entries.
>>
>>388453486
Yeah, this is something that you have to be very wary of. They are longer-than-average games and the core gameplay pretty much stays the same from the beginning to current day, so it's simply just not a good idea to plan on a Pokemon marathon. Better to have long breaks between each one unless you really, really end up loving the series.
>>
>>388450724
If PC emulation is just not an option, then use your phone to emulate fire red/leaf green and emerald. Pretty sure the 3DS can play heart gold/soul silver, Platinum, BW (maybe), and BW2. XY and up probably aren't worth playing, should just wait until ultra sun and moon.
>>
>>388452590
Single must-play release that stands above the rest? Not really. The debate about the best Pokemon game is eternal and will never end, so it's just better to list the releases that most people like: Emerald, 2nd gen remakes Heartgold and Soulsilver, Platinum, Black and White, and Black and White 2.

Of course, that doesn't mean that the rest of the games are shit, it's just that those listed above are generally accepted as the peak of the series.
>>
File: 1500196502183.jpg (5KB, 224x224px) Image search: [Google]
1500196502183.jpg
5KB, 224x224px
Cool, thanks. I thought that i might need to play in chronological order or something to not get confused, but seems it doesn't matter if i played previous releases
>>
Just don't. Pokemon is gay and for fucking loser nerds.
Only virgins like this shit, and unlucky "lucky" scum date each other. That means fat boys and girls who are so ugly they have only each other.
Every person in this thread who actually likes this chink game is 100% ugly, beta, and a complete failure in life.
>>
>>388454694
And what are you? Some kind of Chad? Fuck off nigger stop projecting.
>>
>>388454637
This. Seriously, kill yourself if you're thinking about playing Pokemon when you're over 12 years old.
>>
>>388454419
Aside from missing out on some of the lore stuff first hand and not experiencing the regions yourself, you could jump into any Pokemon game and be just fine.

I suggest that if you ever think of playing the older games to start with them first. The new ones are more streamlined while there's a lot of janky gameplay stuff in the older ones that aren't there in the newer.
>>
>>388454909
Yea, I'm fucking gorgeous you sad ugly faggot. Keep walking bitch, with your shit posture.
>>
File: 1457622223973.jpg (96KB, 500x424px) Image search: [Google]
1457622223973.jpg
96KB, 500x424px
>>388454419
Well. Later games always have some fun nods to past ones, but no, you do not need to play everything. Probably the more important thing you'll be missing out on if you skip earlier stuff is how the series has evolved mechanically. Longtime fans will be the first to say that the series is always the same or that newer games even take steps back, but for a completely new player to jump into the newest installments would likely be a pretty overwhelming experience. Not in the sense that the game would be difficult for them, no; the single player adventure in Pokemon is always pretty easy. But just the sheer amount of different game mechanics to sink in and learn.
>>
That's right, don't reply. Keep it moving. I will body any beta in here.
Don't let me catch you, I'll snatch your DS and noogie you punk asses.
>>
>>388455904
Watch out boys, we have an Internet tough guy right here!
>>
>>388455904
t. virgin who acts like hot shit on an anonymous website
You have too much time on your hands, get a job neet
>>
>>388450724
they're all the same
>>
>>388455904
Pokemon after Pokemon go has the most casual audience. Your stupid if you think all of the fans are beta
>>
>>388450724
Try Omega Ruby or Alpha Sapphire. People here are just going to recommend outdated, tedious shit instead because they're contrarians. Games like Emerald, where the main selling point is a miserable island filled with RNGfests, or Platinum/HG/SS, where it takes you *eight frames* to walk one tile.
>>
>>388450724
You're honestly too old at this point.
Pokemon needs to set its seed in you young so that you keep coming back
Unless you're 12 and under I'd say don't bother
>>
Don't play BW or GSC/HGSS first.
GSC/HGSS are fun, but you really want to have played a previous game (ideally RBY or FRLG) to get the full impact of them.
BW was a soft reboot that's really polarizing, and even if you end up liking it, it doesn't have any Pokémon that most people give a shit about or that you would recognize.

I'd personally recommend staying away from Diamond/Pearl and Sun/Moon as first entries as well, but that's just me.
>>
FireRed/LeafGreen --> SoulSilver/HeartGold --> Emerald --> Platinum --> Black/White --> B2/W2 --> if you've made it this far you might aswell play the rest in a random order, they're not as good as the games listed.
>>
>>388456447
what if i watched pokemons and just didn't play them?
>>
>>388456852
Don't listen to this guy, he has all-around terrible advice.
>>
>>388452590
I would the series as a whole is a 'must-play'. Pokemon games are a distinct experience. Whatever singular game comes down to personal preference.
IDK how much you know or don't, or if you want to go in blind. Do a little research and see which games have pokemon you think would be fun to use.

Although I recommended Red/Blue/Yellow in the 3rd comment, I'd at least advise you that they haven't aged terribly well. It's not until the first DS(gen 4) games where pokemon has become the modern version it is now (phys/special split, typings, etc.).
>>
>>388450724
FRLG -> Emerald -> Platinum -> HGSS -> BW1 -> BW2
This order takes you through all the regions worth playing while also following production order so you never move "backwards" and get hit by the lack of QoL features in an older game after you're used to them in a newer game.
The 3DS games are all trash, don't bother with them.
>>
>>388458240
Also if you want to play RBY or GSC those are also pretty good games, I just didn't mention them since they have competent remakes and most people who aren't into a series tend to like them. Emerald also has a remake but it's not competent in the slightest which is why it wasn't mentioned.
The anons telling you to pace yourself and not burn out by playing all the games one-after-another are definitely right, as well. Take a break for a few days or a couple weeks after you finish a game before moving to the next one.
>>
>>388457590
>Gold/Silver and HeartGold/SoulSilver are sequels to the first games, don't play them first
>Black/White are styled after the first games in a 'soft reboot' way, don't play them first if you care about the older monsters
What did he say that was so wrong to you?
>>
>>388459356
Both GSC and BW are great.
>>
>>388457372
BW2
>>
File: 1474233907458.png (157KB, 469x451px) Image search: [Google]
1474233907458.png
157KB, 469x451px
>>388459737
He didn't say that they were bad.
>>
>>388450885
That's GBA, dipshit.
>>
>>388450974
What are you talking about?
X & Y were one of the best games in the whole series.
Can't say anything about Sun & Moon, though, because I haven't played either.
>>
>>388450724
is ur 3ds hacced?
If not then play XY. It's shit but it's probably the best newbie friendly game.
>>
File: dickon.png (170KB, 338x294px) Image search: [Google]
dickon.png
170KB, 338x294px
>>388461617
>X & Y were one of the best games in the whole series.
>>
>>388461617
XY are abysmal, man. Terrible rivals, terrible boss teams, bland region, tons of handholding (though SM's handholding is even worse), and the old Pokémon completely overshadow the new ones due to the bloated regional dex.
>>
File: Sonic-the-hedgehog-thumbs-up.png (116KB, 300x464px) Image search: [Google]
Sonic-the-hedgehog-thumbs-up.png
116KB, 300x464px
>>388450724
>>388454419
Emulate FireRed/LeafGreen
Afterwards, play HeartGold/Soulsilver
Stop there
>>
Platinum and HGSS
>>
File: 1503868458681.png (20KB, 213x236px) Image search: [Google]
1503868458681.png
20KB, 213x236px
>>388453116
>>
>>388461958
They were.
>>388462212
Looking back, the battles were kind of underwhelming, but still kind of fun in my eyes. Also, yes, there were obviously more older pokemon than new ones, but not enough to ruin the game, at least to me. I still think they're some of the best of the series, though. Not THE best.
>>
>>388450724
Don't
>>
>>388456313
>>388456069
>>388456032
Show me how you do the virgin walk
>>
>>388450724
HGSS, Platinum, BW, BW2, you could honestly skip XY, ORAS, and finally SM.
Thread posts: 54
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.