[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>emulating the game is legal >downloading the bios is not

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 5

File: 1422282043014.jpg (108KB, 628x478px) Image search: [Google]
1422282043014.jpg
108KB, 628x478px
>emulating the game is legal
>downloading the bios is not
>>
Has any court touched on the bios issue?
>>
I mean ******THE LAW******* says you can't download anything, you have to dump it all by yourself for yourself.

Thing is that no one wants to do that for good reason
>>
>>388418181
>Writing your own code is legal
>Distributing someone elses code is not
Woah
>>
Yo young Steve is a pretty handsome guy
>>
>sitting on a chair is legal
>stealing one isn't
>>
>>388418308
>writing a code that can emulate hardware
>legal
lost sales
>>
>>388418317
For you
>>
>>388418269
No, that's wrong.
>>
>>388418181
Yes it is you retard
>>
>>388420105
how???
>>
>>388419497
yo nigga, i passed an exam on this shit and can drop some knowledge for ya
EU has a principle that is called interoperability, which is protected by law.
It means if you buy HW or SW, it's your fucking right to feed it any kind of input and get out any kind of output. No company can sell you a DVD and clam that you are only allowed to stick it inside their "DVD player 3000™".
Now, EU also doesn't allow to patent code, it has copyright like songs or books, so if you create a machine that reads DVD's, and someone else makes a machine that can read DVD's without copying you directly, that's free market nigga and you have to swallow that hard.

You'll be now thinking "Why the fuck should i give a shit about EU?", well, if you don't follow EU rules you can't trade inside EU, so every company just sticks to it. You should see how buttblasted companies like facebook or google are about the new privacy law that will come out may 2018, read about it and laugh.
>>
File: steve.png (198KB, 365x379px) Image search: [Google]
steve.png
198KB, 365x379px
>>388418181
>killing is against the law
>humans do it anyway
>>
>>388418181
Isn't the bios download legal if you have a physical copy of the game?
>>
>>388420159

The EU can seem fucking authoritarian fro countries like my native one (Portugal), and it's a cesspool of easy money for politicians (european parliament), but when it comes to their citizen's rights or to every form of capitalistic attempt at global evil (like you mentioned, google and facebook's privacy infringements) they are the fucking bosses. I'm living in the UK atm, and watching these lanky brits get completely fucked in brexit negotiations has been a missive pleasure.
>>
>>388420627
I meant, massive pleasure
>>
>>388420479
BIOS is licensed and bundled to the HW, so creating a copy of it for any other purpose that is not backup is illegal. You agree to that when you buy the product. Putting you original game disk into a pc and emulating it is not illegal, it's your game and you can play it however you want, but you can't copy it (unless you're doing a backup)
>>
>>388418181
Emulating the game isnt legal either because you circumvent the copy protection. Its also illegal if you own the real game, regardless of what some retards claim.
>>
>>388420627
Wait couple of years and they'll implement a law to search private property without warrant.
>>
>>388420816
Copy protection is meant literally as copy protection. You can't copy it (unless you're doing a backup), but if you have an original copy of the software, usally on a physical device, the way you use it is up to you. So putting a ps1 disc into PC and trying to run it is fine. However, having a copy of BIOS to run it might be illegal,but that's another story.
If what you say would be true, it would be illegal to put PS1 disk into PS2 and play it, since when you bought that PS1 game you agreed to play it only and solely on PS1, because PS2 didn't existed at the time. Any device capable of running a software is legal to run that software
>>
>>388420627
A million times this.

Pushing for net neutrality, cookie policies, privacy protection, buyer protection (refunds only exist to conform to EU laws), actually fighting monopolies (whereas US helps them fuck everyone over), keeping the place free of shit like salmonela,...

They fuck up a lot, but they also do a lot of things right.
>>
>>388418317
Now I know where the inspiration for Sanji came from
>>
File: Jealous.jpg (36KB, 620x387px) Image search: [Google]
Jealous.jpg
36KB, 620x387px
>>388420627
The EU is a totalitarian nightmare in some cases, but their consumer protection laws are an inspiration. Basically, their governments fuck over the people, but if a corporation tries to, they will be fined and humiliated.
>>
>>388420978
They have actually been pushing for more personal privacy, my nig. While the usual speech in the US and UK against terror is "WE NEED LESS PRIVACY, IT'S DANGEROUS", in the EU everyone says "we need to keep our principles, we will not yield on our values". France is the perfect example of this, since they have been targeted the most.
>>
>>388421427
>>388421571

Exactly this. When phone Roaming charges ended I basically started using my portuguese number again and calling my parents and friends free of charge everyday. It was a fucking blessing, fuck the phone companies that were obviously jewing on us for the past decade.
>>
>>388420150
officially you have to use "your own" bios to emulate, they say it on all the sites
>>
>>388422124
so as not to be liable to instruct people to pirate it, but i am not sure if you can even rip a bios legally or how you could utilize it
>>
>>388420795
>>388422406
>BIOS is licensed and bundled to the HW, so creating a copy of it for any other purpose that is not backup is illegal
>>
>>388418269
I've dumped my own games before. Mainly SNES, Game Boy, Game Boy color and Game Boy Advance.

If it wasn't just easier to download a bunch of roms, I'd bet people would do it more often. I only ever bought Flash Carts so that it would make playing games I already owned more convenient.
>>
>>388420795
>You agree to that when you buy the product.

Don't you usually agree to it during the first boot?
Meaning that if you dump the BIOS before booting the device for the first time, you haven't broken any enforceable license agreement?
>>
>>388420479
Nooo. That's a huge misconception. It's not even legal to make one from your personal copy. The old laws that surrounded VHS/cassette tapes are much different than modern technology.
>>
>>388420159
>have to use bios from the original
>without copying you directly
Pick one.
>>
>>388423502
I guess you could somehow jury rig your emulator and PC to the original hardware in some sort of weird ass fashion to circumvent this if you wanted to, at least technically
>>
File: smug laugh.png (267KB, 1032x774px) Image search: [Google]
smug laugh.png
267KB, 1032x774px
>>388418269
Not in my country
>>
File: 1494862855397.jpg (35KB, 498x495px) Image search: [Google]
1494862855397.jpg
35KB, 498x495px
Figure this is the best place to ask
Do mods from sites like the nexus and loverslab work with downloaded versions of games?
>>
>>388420159
>No company can sell you a DVD and clam that you are only allowed to stick it inside their "DVD player 3000™".
But Sony can sell me Bloodborne™ and claim I'm only allowed to stick it inside their "Playstation 4™"? Video game people sure are stupid to not only allow such consumer unfriendly practices, but praise them, sometimes even going so far as to avoid investing in platforms that don't have them.
>>
>>388423869
>downloaded versions of games?
As opposed to?
>>
>>388418181
Isn't it only legal if the game is really old or you own it?
>>
>>388424408
Games you need a DVD to install obviously
>>
>>388423869
As long as you have the same version(update) of the game the mod wants you're okay.
t.pirated Skyrim and Witcher 3 player with 20GB mods folder
>>
>>388424408
Downloaded as opposed to legit copies
>>
>>388424646
Is there a way to update the version of the game you've got or do you have to just keep searching for the correct one?
>>
>>388423502
IBM compatible machines used to be developed like this.
Software and operating systems were originally written to work with IBM machines only. The way other computer manufacturers were able to get in on the game was they'd have a guy who reverse engineered IBM mobos to read the BIOS. This guy would then translate the binary code to whatever assembly language (translations not that hard, contrary to popular belief). He'd then describe the whole boot process to some programmer, who would then implement it with his own assembly code. This way, IBM's BIOS code was never copied directly and they couldn't sue up and coming manufacturers, and new machines would work with only IBM compatible software.
If the guy who saw the reverse engineered code was to write the new BIOS, IBM would have a fucking field day suing the shit out of whatever company built the machine.
>>
>>388424182
Well, you can stick it inside every device you own, it's not guaranteed to work though. If you managed to build a machine that works with all ps4 games without using or copying any sony intellectual propriety, you could play it as much as you want
>>
>>388424660
You do know that legit copies are basically download only since a few years now, right?
>>
>>388426101
In fairness I haven't been a PC gamer for very long ago so I'm still learning how a lot of this shit works

What concerns me is how a lot of mod descriptions say 'This mod will not work with pirated copies of the game' but I don't want to buy games I already paid for back on console
>>
>>388424182
If i got it right sony can't sue you for creating a device that can read bloodborne.
However they can sue people uploading some copies of bloodborne on the internet??
>>
>>388424452
>Isn't it only legal if the game is really old
No game has entered public domain due to time, and if Disney keeps getting their way, no game ever will.
>or you own it?
Nope. You can't legally download a copy even if you own the exact version of the game you're downloading.
>>
>>388426786
That's right.
>>
>>388426293
>What concerns me is how a lot of mod descriptions say 'This mod will not work with pirated copies of the game'
They just write that so that you won't complain if it doesn't work (which isn't often the case)
>>
>>388426793
>No game has entered public domain due to time, and if Disney keeps getting their way, no game ever will.
What are abandonwares
>Nope. You can't legally download a copy even if you own the exact version of the game you're downloading.
Except you can
>>
>>388427018
>What are abandonwares
A very very small amount of games that have no legal holder. Games don't just become abandonware after x many years.
>Except you can
Nope, it's copyright infringement.
>>
>>388427018
>Except you can
Sure, you can download it, and there is literally no damage to the publisher (civil code), but it's not legal (criminal code).

>What are abandonwares
Fringe cases, since the copyright owner doesn't fucking care anymore.
Doesn't make it legal, though.
>>
>>388419497
Then tell me why the court sided with Bleem when they did exactly that?
>>
>>388427216
>A very very small amount of games that have no legal holder.
Well that's what most people think of abandonware when they make the argument of copyright loopholes, but that's actually more specifically orphaned technology. Actual abandonware is still copyrighted and it is illegal to download, but no one gives a shit.
Thread posts: 55
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.