[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Starbound

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 6

File: 1499518410211.png (128KB, 1074x386px) Image search: [Google]
1499518410211.png
128KB, 1074x386px
If this game was made by anyone else that isn't Tiy and Chucklefuck would it have been good?
>>
Nah, probably slightly worse. Most of these games suck.
>>
It took one person to make Terraria good and a team to ruin Starbound.
>>
The problem was hiring a pedophile as lead programmer and the inevitable setback/DELETE FUCKING EVERYTHING once he got busted. If they had hired someone normal well, at minimum no removed content and 1.0 basically being 1.3 at minimum if not more content.
>>
>>388386196
>hiring pedophile
Sources? I only know Chucklefuck as puppy killing faggots but this is new to me.
>>
>>388386483
their head dev bartwe or whatever his username was got caught trying to hook up with kids using their forum

iirc that was why they removed so much between the last koala build/first giraffe build. The 1.0 removals was just finishing that.

Learned that fact from reading /sbg/ threads in 2015/here so no sources on hand.
>>
>>388386601
>bartwe
wrong dev
>>
>>388386821
only dev name i could remember. ~____~

Honestly, SB's improved quite a bit but I'm still glad I used bing rewards money to get it and not paying for it with my own cash. Going by what I've heard about happened with the old content removal between koala/giraffe versions, nevermind the gayness that is the post 1.0 forced storyline I'd be annoyed if I'd spent $15 on it, lol.
>>
File: 1502455047063.jpg (311KB, 714x1000px) Image search: [Google]
1502455047063.jpg
311KB, 714x1000px
>>388386601
Holy shit, how much more sad can you get? I just wanted a good space game with thicc flowers. Also the update name's for this shit was so fucking retarded.
>angry koala
>pleased giraffe
>>
>>388387034
with the "make the universe a cuter place mod"+the added content from Frackin Universe and the anime clothing mods on workshop you can get your space game with thicc flowers.

agree 100% on the update names. Really, really gay.
>>
>>388387126
But those mods can't fix an already shitty game like Starbound. A game in a setting like this should focus entirely on guns, energy weapons, explosives and ammo types not longswords and spears. For an entire company made of artist and ideas guys they have pretty shit ideas.
>>
File: laughing haruhi.jpg (58KB, 451x288px) Image search: [Google]
laughing haruhi.jpg
58KB, 451x288px
>>388387594
>resource and tech-intensive weaponry in a setting with relatively few settlements
>realism for once working WITH gamer's expectations with this kind of game

anon...

We get few enough games that factor in logic re: ability to acess weapons as is. Cucklefish's Starbound, Pixel Privateers and rimworld are about it for games I can think of now.

We need more space games that feature on-ship swordfights with boarding.
>>
>>388387929
Fuck that shit, you want your melee go play Warhammer. I want vastly superior firepower just devastating everything. With maybe the few close weapons like a ballistic fist or super sledge, but why use that garbage when you have a gun that shoots flames or holograms.
>>
>>388384595
I like it
>>
>>388388649
What do you like about it? It's incredibly boring and repetitive.
>>
File: please clap.gif (436KB, 342x342px) Image search: [Google]
please clap.gif
436KB, 342x342px
>>388388863
really open-ended games aren't for you, anon. SB is basically terraria-lite with some elements of star countrol/the ur-quan masters at this point. it's not for everyone.

definitely not worth the normal $15 asking price. Still not worth even the $10 it was on sale. Maybe $7-$9 depending on how much you like some of the mods. maybe.
>>
The question is, how do you handle the idea of "home" in a game like this?

If you make your home your spaceship, there's no real point in making bases on planets. Like, you could contrive some reason to build colonies, but why the fuck would you? And when that happens, you have to ask yourself what the purpose of exploring planets even really is. Why are you going down there? To mine more fucking ore? Terraria's finite space in some aspects made it far better for exploration because at least you were covering ground and establishing things. But when your exploration just becomes plundering sessions it kinda loses its marvel.
>>
>>388387929
>relatively few settlements

This is more due to devs being lazy than anything, with that level of technology and abundant resources there should be fuckhuge cities everywhere like there were in the original promo shots.
>>
>>388389381
That's true, but look at birthrates in developed countries.

Chucklefish are lazy idiots but for once can use the MUH REALISM card. >_< X_X

Still kind of pissed off they didn't do ANY large settlement tho. For fuck's sake, the Gyrusen mod guy managed to do it but yet CF can't.

>>388389162
you can bookmark worlds, anon. No reason you can't create themed colonies on different worlds.

That said you're still right here. If chucklefish had been less ambitious and done it as one solar system or something like Firefly's little cluster of stars with hand-crafted procedurally generated worlds they would have done better. A step above would have been fitting thematically-appropriate biomes on each world like Junk Jack does.
>>
>>388386601
That explains the fuck ton of shit removed then, oh jesus i always wanted to know why before the beta (alpha) were actually more content than the "final" beta that was a fucking letdown, but even if was a legit pedo, why they needed to remove it? doesnt make too much sense
>>
>>388389571
honestly probably a mix of DELETE FUCKING EVERYTHING b/c of PR plus given it's tiy's team probably some of them being stolen assets

also its chucklefish. I like starbound but im not going to white knifght for cucklefish.
>>
>>388389525
Don't need to consider birthrates when they've had star travel long enough enough for that many races to have met, colonies should already be well established. Plus you don't make a colony by dumping 10 people and waiting for babies, you dump 1000 people from your already populated homeworld. Literally no excuses.
>>
>>388389525
>birthrates in modern countries
That's thanks to decades worth of post-modernist Jewish scheming to destabilize the modern west. When everybody is wageslaves and MUH gender equality takes females out of their roles as caretakers and mothers into wageslave life birthrates, marriages plummet and divorce skyrockets because nobody is happy or has time for family in such a dystopian society.
>>
Starbound seems like it would have been fun on like, a 30 person server locked into one solar system with a healthy amount of planets. Everyone builds a cozy house and just chills.
>>
>>388389802
Civilization in-game has been stagnant since at least 500 years, and thanks to canon background both old lore and what stuff exists even now is inclined to be in decline in general.

Also lol @ assuming people would want to go en masse. We can't even really fill alaska despite it being on the same planet without any of the issues with new colonies.
>>
At this point I'm just waiting for the sex mod to finish
>>
File: 1502993243522.jpg (51KB, 900x900px) Image search: [Google]
1502993243522.jpg
51KB, 900x900px
Oh, I've played Starbound alright?
>Framerates are butchered for a pixelated game
>Entire fucking game is a grind where you are pooty-trained and your hand is held the whole way with the aid of several quests that are literally "fetch this fetch that kill the baddies in the area" with the actual story quests forcing you to go on multiple planets of a certain type to find a town of a certain alien theme
>Ranged is vastly overpowered merely because the enemies are at a distance
>Erchius moons have been re-done over and over again until the current design of "stick too long and you die" remained, completely unnecessary as you can just recall and go back
>Did I forget to mention that being beamed up to your ship used to be decent and require you to be in an un-walled environment first? Decent to get out of the deep cave system, not so decent as you can GTFO most combat situations with absolutely no effort
>Community is quite literally roleplaying garbage
>Community is actually 60% kids and teens
>Multiplayer is buggy because the game allows custom-coded items in it, people can shoot crash items into your inventory that render your character completely unusable unless you edit it out
>It took 3 years of beta to be released
>They used the classic loophole of "can't review us if we didn't announce it to be finished, please buy our game"
Detailing my experiences with the community would require another greentext, Jesus Christ
>>
>>388390064
Colonies would make sense if it was for land, a valuable resource or simply better life away from overcrowded, polluted Chinese hive city shitholes. Also Alaska is mostly abandoned because it's a desolate, frozen hellhole with no means to sustain a country size population and mosquito swarms in the summer.
>>
>>388390371
no, cleve we're not going to buy grimoire.

>>388390415
alaska is like club med compared to even perfectly terraformed worlds since it's at least tied into a world economy tho. That's only covering the "lush"/garden worlds, nevermind the less habitable ones.

the only way you'd fill that up is with penal colonies imo
>>
>>388390371
>ranged is vastly overpowered
Melee outperforms ranged at least 99% of the time, especially if the melee user has the dash tech.
>>
>>388390635
I still Don't get why they made melee with swords and spears the main thing in a fucking sci-fi game. Isn't this some retarded oxymoron? It's not like it's post apocalyptia where means of production are lost and the world regressed to savage tribals.
>>
>>388390635
Melee cannot out-perform ranged as long as you can safely shoot things from a distance
>>
>>388390064
Only for humans and that's because they had to make up some bullshit about them wanting to stay on Earth. Nearly every other faction has a section that wants nothing to do with the rest of their race, Florans and Hylotyl spread around due to their war and should have built up where they are now. There should be absolutely no shortage of settlers wanting to fuck off to some tropical planet.
>>
>>388391267
Melee can kill anything in like two hits while you're trying to outrange something through three energy bars trying to kill it. Ranged weapons are so laughably weak its a wonder why they even bother including them.
>>
>>388391267
Melee does significantly more damage. I find it's more useful for shit like the Vault bosses due to their limited weakness windows.
>>
>>388392605
>energy
Holy shit this reminded me of how fucking autistic this "system" was. Ruined the whole point of playing a gunslinger. You have all these ores and can't craft some fucking ammo?
>>
>>388384595
What a stupid, ignorant question :^)
>>
>>388393131
Are you implying the current Starbound is good and not a steaming pile of shit? You must feel incredibly silly right now.
>>
I enjoyed Starbound once it reached release. However, it feels like it's lacking a lot. For all it's gigantic scale it feels like every planet is the same as every other planet of its type. Story is meh. Combat is rather lame, then again you're mostly just slaughtering wildlife. Precise movement is annoying, probably due to framerate issues or something. Certain trap sections of dungeons are really aggravating because I can't move only slightly, it's like sprint or nothing.

I do appreciate each race's unique reactions to objects, and how you really only get the context of certain objects when playing as the race it belongs to. It has a bunch of functions for RPing but I don't think I'll ever really do that. Wanted to build a colony, but I've never really enjoyed building aspects in games like that so I got disinterested and quit before doing so. Soundtrack is good.
>>
>>388386601
>>388386821
So uh, was it Omni then?
>>
>>388390371
Do greentext some more, please.
>>
File: 1407191675104.jpg (107KB, 685x600px) Image search: [Google]
1407191675104.jpg
107KB, 685x600px
>>388393376
He's probably just referencing Tiy's fallback response for whenever someone called him out on his bullshit on the forums years ago.
>>
>>388384595
it's good desu
Thread posts: 43
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.