[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why are gamers so jaded now? 10 years ago if we got the games

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 7

Why are gamers so jaded now? 10 years ago if we got the games we are getting now were would be going crazy

Now we just pick them apart for every small flaw and act like every game is shit while praising games from 10 years ago.
>>
because they're ten years older than they were then
>>
Because the whole world sucks
>>
>>388361852
Still on need to hate on your hobby so hard I know guys who have played tennis for over 15 years with me but don't disrespect tennis players.
>>
>>388361792
You're right.
I'm going to sell and delete all my classic games so I can buy the newest CoD (it's newer so it's better)
>>
Despite a lot of trash that I don't like (Open world games, Early Access, Free to Play shit, Nu-Valve), there are still a ton of games that come out and I love.

Dishonored 2 and the new Hitman, for example. Those games are excellent. The new Prey is great too.

It's a great time to be playing vidya. You just gotta know where to look for the good shit.
>>
File: 1503713066002.jpg (94KB, 371x309px) Image search: [Google]
1503713066002.jpg
94KB, 371x309px
>>388361792
>10 years ago if we got the games we are getting now were would be going crazy

I'm replaying games I missed out on from the PS1/PS2 era and I love them far more than anything that came out this past decade.
It can't be nostalgia because I never had either systems when I was growing up.

They're simply better designed and funner to play. They have more heart in them too.
>>
>>388362351
Nice strawman
>>
Because the "le depression" meme got too big and now everyone acts like everything sucks.
>>
>>388361792
>Why are gamers so jaded now?
The mainstream video game press planted the seeds. Then people realized they were all corrupt hacks and suddenly gaming news became irrelevant.

The rest is the fault of image chans and gaming forums. Most of the people on /v/ don't even play games.
>>
Because we have such a saturated market, we can afford to be as jaded and picky as we want and still be entertained by something out there.

A friend recently tried to talk me into playing some F2P game, and after figuring out that I already had an account with them, I realized it was a very very old name because they incorporated a game I played very long ago into their system, and grandfathered the shitty name in. I sent in a ticket if they could fix my name. They said no.

So I just dropped it. Fuck 'em. I never actually played it. I have a hundred other games I can play, because we are in such a saturated market.
>>
>>388361792
I don't know where you've been, but a ton of games have come out between now and 10 years ago. They already did the shit that makes up the good parts of modern games, while having less of the cancer.
>>
>>388361792
More newfags trying to fit in
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CY0Qjx5K53o
>>
>>388362523
Please name the PS1 games because it was a fucking rough transition from 3D to 2D. I didn't fully accept 3D until 1999 and I think N64 and Dreamcast made me like it far more than PS1
>>
File: 1500746789757.jpg (258KB, 630x782px) Image search: [Google]
1500746789757.jpg
258KB, 630x782px
People just figured out that the best way to have a successful thread on 4Chan is by being overly confrontational. Most of these shitposters don't really care, they're just farming (you)s.
>>
File: 645365436543.jpg (68KB, 512x384px) Image search: [Google]
645365436543.jpg
68KB, 512x384px
a lot of the industry flaws present 10 years ago have only gotten worse, and with the advent of new trends and technologies new ones have appeared in force, and a lot of gameplay has been dumbed down to appeal to mass audience that wasn't present 10 years ago, publishers got greedier as the market size ballooned, developers got more preachy, and consumers either became more entitled or got shafted altogether, game series that should have ended continued long past their expiration date and eventually died or became too routine, and even after all that those games 10 years ago were still just better quality in general even the bad and forgettable ones
>>
>>388362523
Or you grew up around the mechanics, gameplay, graphics, and mood of games from that era and are more comfortable in that environment from when you were a kid, allowing yourself to simply enjoy a game for what it is.
>>
>>388363887
This. Most of the time, you have to shitpost or do the template meme thread starter about a game to actually get discussion about it. /v/ is retarded
>>
>>388361792
Excited for FLCL 2 and 3?
>>
>>388361792
Because we don't like the direction gaming has gone, popular gaming trends offend our learned sensibilities from our gaming youth.
>>
>>388361792
Name changes that happened in the past 10 years that are honestly great. Even the change on graphics has been pretty unremarkable
>>
>>388364524
Yup
>>
>>388361792
what was this girl's problem
>>
File: bottoms up.gif (3MB, 240x135px) Image search: [Google]
bottoms up.gif
3MB, 240x135px
>>388361792
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M2j8prBt-68
>>
>be me playing metroid prime on wii
>GAME IS FUCKING FANTASTIC SON!
>only 1.5 gb on release
>challenging, fantastic and no retarded voice acting
>lore be optional, even on 100 percent yust get the red lore and don't even bother
>even loading rooms have fucking plant life and shit
This fucking game is almost 20 years old and fit in a fucking gc game disc of 1.5 gigs... HOW?
>>
>>388361792

People are going crazy, that's why these games are popular and selling well while v stews in their daily "I don't get it" threads
>>
>>388362523
>I'm replaying games I missed out on from the PS1
>It can't be nostalgia because I never had either systems when I was growing up.

Cos you're a tryhard faggot.child trying to impress /v/irgins. Does my head in when kids claim to like certain unplayable classics. Goldeneye 64 is one of those, fun game at the time, but when I play it today it's aged quite horribly, control and frame-rate -wise at least. (Did every game benefit from the expansion pak?)

>>388363114
>The mainstream video game press planted the seeds. Then people realized they were all corrupt hacks and suddenly gaming news became irrelevant.
It seriously took you that long to realise that most gaming reviews (after a certain point) were just advertisements?
>>
File: 1493002454441.gif (2MB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
1493002454441.gif
2MB, 320x240px
>>388361792
>10 years ago
We grew up. Also...
>Internet became a soapbox for anyone across the globe haughty enough to think their 2 cents matters
>Gaming has become a trend, inviting literal casuals to flood the market and saturate the demand for high quality games with replay value
>/v/, like any board, exists to spur arguments. It's almost a requirement to be jaded, else the board would become a circlejerk
There's many factors, anon. Pick your poison
>>
>>388361792

>10 years ago if we got the games we are getting now were would be going crazy

You mean crash bandicoot and sonic the fangame? I'm pretty sure those were a thing already 10 years ago
>>
>>388365393
yeah she was pretty shit tier desu
>>
>>388363774
MGS
Ape Escape
FF7
RE/RE2
Parasite Eve
Playing Silent Hill right now.

>>388364346
I didn't play console games until I was 16 and by then the PS2 was almost at the end of its lifespan. Most of the controls for these games suck ass but they're still far better games than what we have today.

>>388366181
Controls aren't everything. Also learn to spell, nigger.
>>
>>388361792
>Why are gamers so jaded now?
Lots of lying and misleading by devs contributed, but it's just also that people don't want to put up with bad games anymore. With the internet and having more games available, we can see what truly great games are and it makes games that would've been okay to good 10 years okay seem bad now.
>>
Because today's games try to shove as much micro transactions down our throats as possible.
>>
>>388367206
That's not even what it comes down to, it's that they try this shit without the decency of at least being worth it.
>>
File: aXMNIJU.jpg (248KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
aXMNIJU.jpg
248KB, 1920x1080px
If you think having armor unlocking being tied to RNG loot cards is better than unlocking it through either getting an achievement than you're sick in the head.

Fuck you 343
>>
>>388366745
>Controls aren't everything

Twin stick fps layout is what made console shooters a whole lot more enjoyable.
>>
>>388367854
console shooters are and always have been and always will be trash
>>
>>388362523
This desu senpai. I'm 18 so I'm not an oldcuck with nostalgia goggles. I get bored to dead playing most of modern games and never complete them, they just feel so soulless. Recently (curiously a little bit before the announcement of ManĂ­a) I started playing the classic Sonic games for the first time. (Sonic 1, 2 and 3&k) and I had a blast, after that played NG black and felt the same, so much fun, finally picked up GTAv, Witcher Iii and they were shit, why do modern games feel so shallow in comparison? The only company that keep making great games with soul and passion is Nintendo.
>>
>>388366181
Games like Goldeneye can be hard to "step down" to, but if you're willing to put up with it for a while you can find yourself adjusting. I think what's important is that the game was designed from the ground up with those limitations in mind, so it's not too frustrating if you're not the DSP type to blame every failing on something other than yourself. That being said, the game is quite fun to speedrun. I think it's stage design is quite nicely set up for something like that, rather than just being a linear series of shooting galleries.
>>
>>388367854
So does a mouse and keyboard but you're still probably going to buy the next consoletrash.
>>
>>388361792
more people in gaming than there ever was
many of which are new which means they never experienced the older gems with actual design put into the game
there are way too many of the same games whether it be an over saturated genre or series that just keep adding 1 to their number with minimal differences between the games
the industry needs a crash so that the big companies realize they need to actually try to earn people's money
also it seems devs are forcing and being forced to have political statements
>>
Too many shit games. Too many boring games. Too many mediocre, uninspired games.

Too many games.
>>
>>388366181
>Goldeneye 64
I loved that game when I was younger but trying to play it now just makes me laugh. Seeing the enemies do those awfully slowly combat rolls is hilarious.
>>
>>388368078
>but if you're willing to put up with it for a while you can find yourself adjusting.
Not for modern games, though. Those are just irredeemable garbage with nothing good going for them.
>>
>>388368923
When did I say that?
You're a touchy little bitch, aren't you.
>>
>>388369702
You didn't.
I did.
>>
>>388361792
A handful of amazing games among the usual dumpster fires, sure, but also with the baggage of shitty business practices having become the new norm, like pre-order culture, digital distribution price gouging when digital should logically be LESS expensive, content cut to be nickel-and-dimed as DLC, online DRM for consoles, holding your own internet hostage behind a paywall for p2p connections aka fucking NOTHING, the list goes on.

For every game truly worth being excited about or appreciating there are a thousand putrid feces and a new anti-consumer cancer introduced to ruin everything forever. Gamers are jaded now because they may be dumb but not being jaded would require being too dumb to live.
>>
>>388361991
Tennis is largely the same game. A person who has been a 20 year Mario fan is unlikely to bemoan the state of Mario. I think comic fans would be a better parallel and they're definitely bitter
Thread posts: 49
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.