[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

big empty spaces

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 75
Thread images: 19

File: ScreenShot496.jpg (89KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
ScreenShot496.jpg
89KB, 1024x768px
Everyone complains that open world games have too much empty space. But does anyone else actually like this? I enjoy walking around pretty hills, or mountains, or deserts, and just soaking in the landscape.I always appreciated well put together fields of purposelessness. I don't necessarily like it when there is content in every nook and cranny because it feels intrusive and takes me out of the experience. In more city focused games I also look walking around all the alleys and random buildings and parks, even if there is no special content there. I just like seeing how the world was put together and designed, like I'm walking around some diorama.

I was always partial to the open world genre. Whenever i play games from other genres, I wished I could just walk around. Mario golf (N64) for example, I always wanted to just walk around the courses, not for any special content, but just to walk around and explore and map out the landscape.
>>
>>388345842
I also enjoy totally empty out of bounds places like pic related. But when it comes to the actual world I prefer it to be smaller and more handcrafted.
>>
if i wanted to play around in a big empty spaces i'd become a gynecologist
>>
I hate it.
>>
Big empty spaces cannot convey the feeling I get from them in the real world. There's always something to look at, be it a bird or some other shit in the distance.
Empty spaces in games are just empty and mostly kept together by the background music.
>>
Real life tends to have a lot of big "empty" spaces too
>>
>>388345842
This honestly sounds like a joke but its not. No Man's sky. Trying to reach the center of the galaxy and I'm like 699`000 light years from it, and each little 450-500lys I jump its all the same, each planet is shit, and theres nothing. I even took black hole jumps 1`000lys off my journey and its still fucking boring and empty. No mans sky would have to work on the game for another year just to make this shit NOT boring. Also Kenshi on pc is quite empty.
>>
I agree with you. Following a quest should be a fucking adventure. You should travel there and it should take time. Walking 5 min from the nearest city to your waypoint to kill some lich sucks dick.
>>
>Breath of the wild
>>
It's good when it actually serves a purpose, like if it's clear something happens there later or there's little worldbuilding details around so you know it was lovingly crafted

It's bad when it's just filler to make the game longer/more tedious. The Long Dark is the worst example of this, you spend half the game trudging through copy-pasted snow terrain in the middle of nowhere because muh atmosphere
>>
>>388345842
I think it's fine if that's not all there is. I'll take it over invisible walls along little corridors any day.
>>
File: RESPECT.jpg (182KB, 497x798px) Image search: [Google]
RESPECT.jpg
182KB, 497x798px
>>388345842
Finally someone who understands that, big "empty" spaces are *NOT* an intrinsecally bad thing!
Thank you anon, you restored my faith in humanity.
>>
>>388345842
Me too, OP. You can't walk 30 seconds in Skyrim without bumping into some kind of little set piece. Kinda devalues discoveries.

I've always dreamed of an open world RPG that would take literally months to traverse on foot; so big you'd actually feel relief to find a settlement, or fear when encountering raiders
>>
File: lotromap downscales.jpg (3MB, 4480x4290px) Image search: [Google]
lotromap downscales.jpg
3MB, 4480x4290px
>>388345842
no, I agree with you OP. Open world games get a lot of shit on /v/ for being empty, and too big. I spent several hundred hours in Just Cause 2 just roaming around the world cause I liked how big it was, and tried to see how long it would take me to cross parts of it on foot.

The problem is they're never really big enough for me, even in the biggest open world games it still feels like stuff is jammed in too close together. Stuff like RDR, GTA, Elder scrolls all feel like I'm exploring somebody's farm, rather than a whole country. I'd be perfectly happy with more space in between. The mountains are never big enough, I never feel dwarfed by them. The Kaer Morhen mountains in W3, were perfect in size, I would love a skyrim style map with a whole mountain range of that size rather than just one area, though.

My ideal game since I was a kid was a Lord of the Rings RPG in a gigantic open world with vast open spaces, think 3-4 times the size of Just Cause 2's map.

LOTRO actually did a pretty good job of capturing that feeling though though it was all cut up into little MMO areas and they went and ruined that game when it went f2p. every few months I go back and check what they've added, I have some idea of waiting until they finish mordor some time this year then doing one final trek across the world, from the shire all the way to mount doom.

The full size map is worth checking out though, it's fucking huge (the jpg is 25mb so I can't post the whole thing here)

http://danielmoravek.com/lotro/LotroMap-Update20.jpg
>>
File: Space Engine.webm (3MB, 1600x900px) Image search: [Google]
Space Engine.webm
3MB, 1600x900px
>>388345842
I'm a big fan of big empty space. It has an atmosphere all its own.
>>
Big empty spaces of nothingness in video games are like big blank pages of nothingness in novels or big black screens of nothingness in film.
>>
>>388350679
>walk ten feet from a major "city" (that has 10 people)
>find a bandit fort
>walk another ten feet
>attacked by wolves because apparently the game is afraid you'll get bored without constant stimulation
>another ten feet
>find an ancient dungeon full of mystery and artifacts and draugr (that is really just a different dungeon with the map layout reversed)
>ten feet later another wolf attack
>repeat for the entire game
>>
>>388346263
the only good post in this thread
>>
>>388345842
If I was playing a game right now that showed me what's on your pic all around me, I'd immediately feel bored. What joy do I get in pressing W for prolonged periods of time?
>>
>>388345842
I love it too. It was particularly great in oblivion.
>>
>>388348663
How do you make travelling an adventure?

You say walking there is the boring part, so how would you do it better
>>
>>388351151
Nah, you press CAPS LOCK for auto-run
>>
My absolute worst memory of GTA:SA is not having a vehicle in the middle of the countryside
>>
>>388351274
That just gives me PTSDs of being in a WoW city without a mount.
>>
File: 1486464900924.jpg (100KB, 900x900px) Image search: [Google]
1486464900924.jpg
100KB, 900x900px
>>388351280
>gta iv
>flying a helicopter around
>it gets shot down and flies into the water
>on the edge of the map and have to spend 45 minutes swimming back to the city
>get sidetracked by npc boats and try to steal them
>always get right beside them before they just drive away
>>
>>388350679
Not trying to be asshole but you could just go roaming in the woods in real life.
>>
>>388345842
OP here, just to clarify a bit: I like it when things are in games, when they don't necessarily have a purpose or a reason to be there, but are just there to add some interest or ambiance to the world. It's like exploring a diorama. When I play a game like GTA I often just walk around and see every block. I wouldnt necessarily like it if there was a REASON to do everything, sometimes things should be there just to be there
>>
>>388351249
Jumping over puts, climbing cliffs, overcoming obstacles. Setting camp or sleeping in a friendly settlement. Walking over thin ice, struggling in a sandstorm and so
>>
>>388345842
I loved that in Asheron's Call, which was just one big connected world with vast tracks of wilderness.
>>
>>388351607
>I like it when things are in games, when they don't necessarily have a purpose or a reason to be there, but are just there to add some interest or ambiance to the world. It's like exploring a diorama
people like you are why bethesda adds those stupid fucking skeletons scenes everywhere
fuck you
>>
>>388351476
Encounters with bears aren't nearly as fun irl.
>>
File: dBScE.jpg (310KB, 1920x1017px) Image search: [Google]
dBScE.jpg
310KB, 1920x1017px
>>388350979
Right.

It's funny, the game that for me best captured the wonder of wide open spaces was Minecraft. I remember playing vanilla and being totally awed by the scale of the world. First and only time a game has successfully made me feel small.
>>
Imo you might love ghost reacon wildlands. Theres alot of hills, mountains and different types of terain. You do run into groups of enemys but theyr not all clogged up in one area. As for gameplay, thats a different topic.
>>
>>388351717
Haven't encountered bears, but that would probably be exciting to be honest.
>>
>>388351476
No, you have a point. My ideal game is basically a real life fantasy world. I know it's impossible, but I like it when games capture a glimmer of such a world.
>>
>>388345842
try proteus, you'll love it. Just give it half an hour and see what you get from there.
>>
It can totally work, Mad Max did a good job with big "empty" areas. Basicly they made varied and good looking deserts with small outposts scatered around, those outposts were usually very detailed with plenty of backstory to make it interesting.

Another thing is how in the big picture (looking at the entire map) the way the map is layed out makes a lot of sense, half the map is in a dried out sea and you can feel the change in the visuals when you get to the what was once a city. It is actually interesting to go see the various locations even if by the end of it all you get is a vista. Since the vista adds to the backstory of the game it feels rewarding enough.

Then you have GTA V where a lot of it is filled with details (some spaces arent as much like the nature part), roaming around the city and exploring alleys feels great with plenty of interesting spots like the dog park and the trannies spot in the beach
>>
File: smug lion.jpg (113KB, 1600x1000px) Image search: [Google]
smug lion.jpg
113KB, 1600x1000px
>>388351710
Not him but I think that's wrong, those are put there for and by ADD idiots who need a "novel sight" every fucking where. All those are put there for the purpose of entertaining a horde of mouthbreathers and to "add to the deep lore of the wasteland without words but using YOUR imagination".

Something like this is more what I'm thinking of.
>>
File: 1499397872196.jpg (50KB, 540x540px) Image search: [Google]
1499397872196.jpg
50KB, 540x540px
>>388351280
>fall into water in bumfuck nowhere
>no easy to get back on shore or boat in sight
>gotta enable fps limiter or else swimming speed is halved if not slower
>>
File: wadi-rum-desert-landscape.jpg (93KB, 620x413px) Image search: [Google]
wadi-rum-desert-landscape.jpg
93KB, 620x413px
Is the problem with random-gen worlds simply that we just haven't made good enough algorithms to develop them yet? The real world isn't hand-crafted, it's developed by the same basic algoriths that create everything, from niagra falls to deserts to sweet mountain passes.

I'd love if somebody took a few years to make a generator that would actually build real, natural feeling landscapes, then a team of developers went through and put in all the human, handcrafted elements.
>>
>>388352302
dwarf fortress. If you can enjoy its adventure mode it's a fantastic thing to explore but I can understand it's not really what anyone in this thread is looking for.
>>
>>388350596
agree
>>
>>388352302
The real world also isn't an amusement park.
>>
>>388352426
Yeah, I've given it a shot a few times in the past and will devote a good amount of time to it at some point, but atm I find it difficult to get immersed in it. Stonesense helps a lot but I wish I could explore it from an insider's perspective.
>>
>>388352302
the real world has a lot more variables, and with that you also have boring shit to look at.

walking through a real desert probably wont keep your interest for that long either, probably just some specific courses would be up for that.
>>
>>388352479
>>388352302
I think someone should try to make an open world game out of the real world then.
>>
>>388345842

would a hiking game ever work?
>>
>>388351410
Kill me, Pete.
>>
>>388350679
same thing happened to me in witcher 3. Very good game, but I felt a bit of claustrophobia wile playing it. Fuck everyone think that i'm joking since it's an OPEN WORLD game, kind of a oxymoron
>>
>>388352826
Sure.
>>
>>388352826
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5rAkUGyJBWE
yes
>>
>>388352248
nice
>>
Oh damn

>>388352918
>>388352964
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ry93SPMvesE

Haven't touched this since the thing first came out but it looks like they've figured things out
>>
>>388350728
What about a game like pic related but with no enemies to have to worry about so you can enjoy your big open empty space in peace?
>>
>>388353245
don't know what you meant to post, but the forest has a lot of wide open areas and there's a cheat to disable all the cannibal stuff and just enjoy the game
>>
File: Rimworld4.jpg (2MB, 1920x1086px) Image search: [Google]
Rimworld4.jpg
2MB, 1920x1086px
>>388352670
Have you checked out Rimworld? It's like a sci-fi western Dwarf Fortress but less complex. Really fun, and recent updates have it possible to venture out across the whole planet
>>
>>388351993
I kind of get what you mean. Just exploring the game world and see if you find anything interesting.I don't know if there's any games that have actually pulled it off. I just now that i've spent weeks in forests and mostly seeing squirrels and rabbits.
>>
>>388353245
would love it, give me a satisfying way to move and nice music
>>
File: desert-view-2.jpg (221KB, 1280x853px) Image search: [Google]
desert-view-2.jpg
221KB, 1280x853px
>>388352675
I think the problem with games like NMS or minecraft is that they don't have enough variables that encourage weird, interesting and entirely unique shit to form. You should occasionally run into things you've absolutely never seen before and actually do want to explore.

And besides, it still has those handcrafted towns/sites so you're not just exploring deserts forever. The desert is just something you need to cross for 10-20 minutes to find the next town.
>>
>>388352670
>>388353431
Sorry, that doesn't address your point about wanting an insider's perspective
>>
I'd much rather have a polished but linear experience than a huge map of nothing.
>>
three games with big maps that I dont think did a good job at keeping it interesting

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uqHNavOJbSI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3gLm-qNcmlk

The crew I kind of get it why, its a racing game in the current US, you cant really do much with the map.

Fuel however shit the bed, it made it so big that in the end its all mostly the same inside each zone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jZ1K_1Xpc_U

Just Cause 3 fucked up by having it all follow the same exact visuals with the same fauna and color scheme, Just Cause 2 (even if somewhat bland in a more detailed level) kept the interest in visiting new areas since they looked so different.

A map I would like to talk about is the one on the Division, you cant use vehicles so it being small isnt that much of a deal breaker, the thing is that even if its just a recreation of New York (limiting a lot of what kind of places you end up being) it does end up being very varied due to the attention to detail and the noticeable situations spread out across the city
>>
>>388353431
this game is really coming along from where it was a year or so ago
i find myself playing it instead of dorf fort simply because i enjoy watching raiders cross that threshold between "safety" and "impassable hailstorm of bullets"
>>
File: 1478283958671.jpg (65KB, 637x1024px) Image search: [Google]
1478283958671.jpg
65KB, 637x1024px
>I dont want to play video games the thread
>>
>>388353431
This was made by the same people who made Prison Architect, right? The art style looks exactly the same.

I hated Prison Architect though
>>
File: 1485228960629.jpg (62KB, 665x842px) Image search: [Google]
1485228960629.jpg
62KB, 665x842px
>>388353957
I want to call you an idiot for thinking wide-open video games aren't video games but you posted best girl so I'll let it slide
>>
>>388353159
The slight issue with the 4x4 is that they didn't consider the camera and, so it works independently of your controls when you're driving and takes some time to get used to.
>>
What are the games where walking is the most common method of moving instead of running or sprinting, for example I noticed in Hitman that I walk a lot more then run. Is there any game that even with long stretches to go through it manages to keep it interesting enough to the point that the player is walking and soaking it in? GTA V managed that with me during the first week.
>>
File: 1503033760207s.jpg (2KB, 125x118px) Image search: [Google]
1503033760207s.jpg
2KB, 125x118px
>>388353957
>how dare people enjoy parts of video games that I don't, the thread
>>
>>388353745
I think the big maps with lots to explore and houses to find and buy was one of the things that made TDU2 somewhat interesting.
>>
>>388353991
No, it was made mostly by one guy, Tynan Sylvester. He acknowledges that he got the unit/"pawn" style from PA.
>>
>>388345842
This issue isn't big empty spaces, it'a an abundance of them. If your game has more pretty hills, mountains and deserts then stuff to do then it would be better off as a fucking painting. Much like everything else in videogames they work best in moderation.
>>
>>388345842

Are there any games that actually have realistic topography?
>>
File: 314160_20170809233620_1.png (3MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
314160_20170809233620_1.png
3MB, 1920x1080px
>>388357408
Flight Simulator?
>>
>>388357675
Racing games?
Thread posts: 75
Thread images: 19

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.