[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why does nu-/v/ mistakenly believe this game to be good?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 208
Thread images: 31

File: 1493080787362.jpg (99KB, 602x792px) Image search: [Google]
1493080787362.jpg
99KB, 602x792px
Why does nu-/v/ mistakenly believe this game to be good?
>>
nobody actually thinks this series is good
>>
nostalgia
>>
Because it was pretty fun, had a compelling story, and was easy to pick up and play with friends. Really don't need more than that.
>>
File: 1365381442286.jpg (27KB, 233x249px) Image search: [Google]
1365381442286.jpg
27KB, 233x249px
>>388319275
>tfw Halo threads used to be deleted on sight

Good times. Unfortunately with new people pouring in all the time that's no longer the case. Soon people who played Black Ops will be posting threads out of nostalgia and Halo faggots will feel exactly as I do now.
>>
>>388319275

> 16 years old

> retards here still think it's a underage game
>>
File: 1490341314246.jpg (55KB, 400x303px) Image search: [Google]
1490341314246.jpg
55KB, 400x303px
>>388319275
Because it is good and the only people who continue to hate the first three Halo games are people that probably weren't even born when Halo 1 came out and hate it because "lol it's the popular thing to hate" or people that blamed the """"death"""" of the fps genre on it when in reality Halo 1 was a very open-ended game in terms of its level design and was just a fun arena-styled game. Hell, it didn't even have regenerating health, Halo 2 started it.

If you want to point to a real babby's first person shooter, point to shit like CoD:MW1.
>>
As the years moved along people who actually played the games have a say now.

Halo has a unique and valuable position in gaming (that it lost with Halo Reach).

PC should still focus on Arena FPS but for console a slower experience with an emergent sandbox design is best.
>>
>>388319883

How old are you grandpa? Or are you just role-playing?

I'm 28 and I played Halo as a 12 year old.
>>
>>388319275
t.halflifefaggot
>>
>>388319960
The only people who played and loved it were young children who didn't know any better because they had no frame of reference and now glorify it purely out of nostalgia despite the game being completely mediocre. It's the exact same case with Goldeneye.
>>
Halo is the height of generic yet no one's really seem to do done what it did (FPS with a buff-as-fuck protag shooting aliens).
>>
>>388320071
29 and when faggots were playing Halo I was laughing at them. It was bad during the whole fad, it's bad now.
>>
>>388319859
/thread
>>
>>388320192
Dude you're so cool haha, being contrarian is so fkn cool im gonna grow up and be like you some day
>>
File: 1.gif (35KB, 830x350px) Image search: [Google]
1.gif
35KB, 830x350px
LOL
>>
>>388320192

Lol okay bub, I'm sure 12 year old you only had PATRICIAN taste
>>
>>388320284
>>388320383
>you have to like everything that's popular or has ever been popular at all times or you upset some faggot on the internet

I laughed at you faggots because I tried it and thought it was nothing special yet you asshats were jeking your little cocks to it like it was fucking Quake. Still funny now actually.
>>
>>388320416
t. assblasted Playshitstation2 owner that didn't have any friends to play multiplayer games with
>>
>dedicated grenade button
>regenerating "shield"
>reclearing identical hallways 4 times on flood missions
>blood gulch, a fucking valley, is considered the best multiplayer map
>>
>>388319275
Halo Combat Evolved on PC was incredibly fun. Of course, most people played this on Xbox and never got to experience the online multiplayer.

The racing in particular was a great time. The little nuances you needed to know on some of the maps as a driver combined with having someone gunning for you on the back of the warthog... I haven't encountered anything close to that in terms of gameplay and fun with other games. It just doesn't exist.
>>
>>388320162

Tell me about all the hidden classics that completely eclipsed Halo and Goldeneye at the time of their releases?
>>
>>388320176
>generic
What game was like the first Halo aside from Marathon which was still very different?
>>
File: IMG_2364.jpg (970KB, 858x1200px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2364.jpg
970KB, 858x1200px
>>388319883
I miss the day when mods just deleted any casualfaggotry threads instantly and banned anyone who posted in them unironically. The board would be instantly better if they started doing the same again.
>>
>>388320416

> Quake
#REALPCGAYMERS

I played that as a kid too. Halo was more fun and had an actual story with it's campaign.
>>
The first Halo was an interesting and unique romp through an alien landscape playing the vidya equivalent of a Pak protector. neo-/v/ at the time did not realise the deep scifi roots of the story and wrote it off as typical microshit, because /v/ is retarded.
>>
>>388320749
Shit taste, eternal underagefag.
>>
>>388320525
>he's still insulting it!
>it's got to be because he didn't have the system that's got to be it!

Sorry champ I had an XBOX how else did you think I tried it? not very smart are you? then again Halo fan so no surprise there.

>>388320749
So you only care about stories in your video games? because Quake had all the gameplay Halo wished it had.

>>388320739
I've seen people discuss fucking Uncharted. /v/ is too far gone anon.
>>
because they grew up with it rather than Doom, duke, quake etc
>>
>>388319275
>nu-/v/
/v/ used to have amazing halo threads. What are you? 12?
>>
>>388320609
That's what I'm saying. You really don't find a lot that is actually like it, despite every component of it being completely flavorless when taken by itself.
>>
>>388320983
>Sorry champ I had an XBOX
Sure you did
>>
>>388320983
>>388320949

> muh quake

It's not bad, but it's still a boring maze-shooter. Halo had a certain linear-yet open feeling with tons of space to tackle battles differently, fun vehicle segments and good story-telling.

Quake was only good at putting you in a labyrinthine map made of corridors.
>>
>>388320990

> Doom, duke, quake

All literally the same game, except the last one is in 3d.
>>
>>388321269
I'm playing through quake 1 right know and even I know that's not the quake they're talking about
>>
File: 1477864734516.png (727KB, 800x800px) Image search: [Google]
1477864734516.png
727KB, 800x800px
>>388319275
>>
Halo is a fantastic game, the first truly great FPS.

A big part of that is Marty O'Donnell's involvement. While he wrote the soundtrack, he also acted as a part of the creative team in terms of cutscene direction, story, etc. This is why the music fits the visuals so well, and why every cutscene in this otherwise somewhat standard SciFi game is elevated to the status of serious art.

It also plays really well, the AI is fantastic to fight, the guns all work well, etc.
>>
>>388321065
>when taken by itself
Well, that's why that's the wrong way to look at games. This is why the people who say 2 weapon limit is bad are stupid, because they disregard the fact that the games were balanced for that limit and that there's actually no problem at all with that system while you're playing.
>>
File: IMG_0695.gif (483KB, 243x270px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0695.gif
483KB, 243x270px
>>388321269
I stopped giving a shit about your opinion once you said that you like Halo. Honestly, casual westcucks like you should just be permabanned.
>>
The first halo aged rather poorly imo.

I played the remaster a couple of years ago after playing through halo co-op on legendary as a kid and it felt like chore to get through. Little enemy or scenario variety and big, empty maps. Some cool setpieces/level design but they are overshadowed by the long streches of mediocrity.

I havent played the remaster of halo 2 but i remember it being much better when playing it as a kid.

Halo 3 on the other hand has aged very well. Strange really because 3 was the start of the decline of the series. The multiplayer was the best it had ever been and the single player was great, although not at all what i expected when i took a day off school to complete it back when it released.

ODST was a fun experiment and was the perfect length, but didnt add much to gameplay from 3.

Reach was solid imo, but its campaign is vastly ovverated on here almost as much as it's multiplayer is underrated. The forge made maps in MP sucked, but the gameplay itself was top notch and a good direction to spring from after 3.

i only played 4 breifly and it sucked. I fucking trounced the casuals on multiplayer and it felt more like cod in space than halo.
>>
>>388321459
>the first truly great FPS
You didn't play early marathon. Halo is part of an obvious lineage.
>>
>>388321486
He's a nufag and a weeaboo. Jesus that's a bad combination
>>
>>388319275
Here's my theory. The people who liked halo in old /v/ are now at least 25 years old if not older and probably moved on from shitposting. The new demographic of /v/ is now the degenerate trash born out of the cesspit that was 2011 onwards of endless shitposting between console fanatics and neogaf users who bought into all the memes and news surrounding muh SJWs, gamergate, xbox always-on DRM, gabe newell the saviour of PC gaming, EA and so on.

So, now you have a group of radicalized gen Z neckbeards who are on track to becoming the latest addition of /r9k/ where they will retroactively judge games based on popular opinions of today and will believe anyone who disagrees with them is a shill for the company they dislike.
>>
>>388321568
I mean the first FPS with actually good story, setting, writing.

I don't care about Doomshit.
>>
>>388319370
The series is trash

The first halo was pretty fuckin good
>>
Had a lot of fun with it when it released. It doesn't hold up today though.
>>
>>388319275
because the first one was on pc
>>
>>388321486
Halo is unironically a better series than 90% of any garbage that japan has shat out
>>
>>388321616
You don't sound judgmental at all.
>>
Here's what actually happened:

The 18 year olds ITT didn't get to play Halo in its prime (2000-2007) and so they base their opinion of the series on Reach, 4, and 5.

Now fuck off children.
>>
>>388319370
Halo CE
Halo 2
Halo 3
Halo 3: ODST
Halo Wars

Great games, eat a dick you faggot.
>>
File: 1480222967392.jpg (29KB, 640x519px) Image search: [Google]
1480222967392.jpg
29KB, 640x519px
>>388321723
But on the flipside, what japan has shat out is unironically better than 90% of any garbage that comes from the west.
>>
>>388321486

> westcucks
> anime reaction

Nice argument bro, what nip-trash are you comparing Halo to again?
>>
>>388321774
Don't forget Reach. I played the hell out of Reach.
>>
>>388321723
>>388321832

Both these statements are true, and?
>>
Why is there a guy with a collection of poop images in this thread?
>>
File: gaylo.png (854KB, 828x530px) Image search: [Google]
gaylo.png
854KB, 828x530px
>>388321774
The best taste in gaming
>>
>>388321952
Switch Wars and Reach, and this image is correct.
>>
>>388321947
Just ignore him, he'll get banned.
>>
>>388321779
>>388321849

Is this your first day here?

Do you think posting images like that will shock us?
>>
>>388321947
This is your mind on weebs
>>
>Best Singleplayer
Halo 1
>Best Multiplayer
? Halo 2 or Halo 3?
>>
>>388321661
Here's the thing: future Halo players will think of Zanzibar like they think of every map in every other game. Either Zanzibar is part of a lineage, or Zanzibar is dead. There is no free-standing lineage independent of the games.

Either you admit to the Doomshit relationship, or you die.
>>
>>388321661
>Doomshit
Bungie made Marathon, you retarded monkey.
>>
>>388319980
I'm an old fuck and we always considered Halo to be a watered down, vanilla shooter with no redeemable qualities.

Still feel that way, though I understand its legacy.
>>
>>388319275
I miss Foehammer :(
>>
Halo (pre-reach) has a very important place in FPS games and I believe it is the gold standard for Sandbox FPS (as apposed to Arena FPS)

It all has to do with the ratio of speed and reaction time to amount of decisions made per encounter.

Arena Deathmatch like Quake is all about twitch reflexes and quickly traversing the maps. This works because the mouse is a precision tool, and can handle the speeds necessary for this system. The decision making usually boils down to which map path you are going down, incentivized by tiny bits of Health and Armor or Ammo to always keep moving (like a 3D pacman) and shoot the other people zipping by. The speed at which you play can be overwhelming with too many choices, so the maps reflect that, they tend to be extremely path based and linear. Arena FPS is fun as fuck, but it doesn't scratch the same itch as Sanbox FPS.

Halo incentivizes more methodical gameplay, the slower movement system and shields requires you to eye the map differently. Instead of a waterslide or direct path to the action it has become an ever shifting source of cover and advantage. Halo is ALL about map control and positioning, each fight (excluding power weapons) has the potential to be a complex dance of exploiting the environment for advantage. The two weapon limit changes the experience of every combat engagement as every weapon and every weapon combo has a different strength and weakness and range.

The result is a much more open map and a much higher likelihood of an engagement ending in both players alive, or a player dealing with more than one enemy at once. The decreased speed allows for vehicles, the usefulness of Plasma vs Human, stealth and assassinations, sniper play and more.

In conclusion, simple sandbox FPS has a place and a unique position in gaming. It fails to be a Quake clone because it isn't trying to be a Quake clone.
>>
>>388321686
>>388321779
>>388321849
>>388322136
>>388322202
>>388321967
>>388322043
>somebody actually has assorted jpeg images of turds saved on thier computer to upload to a video game forum
were reaching levels of pathetic unseen before by man
>>
>>388322003
Reach was the beginning of the end, everything wrong with 4 was passively introduced in Reach. I don't mind Wars so much since everything in the game was isolated nicely from the rest of the franchise, I remember someone in bungie called it 'whoreing' out the franchise, which I agree with, but weeks after Reach came out I knew the franchise was never gonna be the same
>>
>>388322256
Nobody cares what you think grandpa. Halo 1-3 are great games. I will literally never understand the hate they get. The one reasonable thing I can think is "MUH 2 WEAPON LIMIT!"
>>
>huurbrlr its a kiddys game its not muh superior quaek
None of you faggots are good at Quake, youd get your ass beat in either game.
>>
>>388322256

Watered down and generic compared to what?

There were no similar games at the time.
>>
>>388322338
They just want to be contrarian. Even if they don't like the halo franchise it did a lot of things right. It had great co-op, fun multiplayer, and it was a great after school game.
>>
>>388322132
Halo 3 > 2

Barriers to entry like button combos make the game faster but >>388322267
That is not what Halo is about.
>>
File: 1478749337336.gif (379KB, 500x374px) Image search: [Google]
1478749337336.gif
379KB, 500x374px
>weebs have resorted to literal shit posting
>>
>>388322256
I don't understand how it's watered down. It had great multiplayer level design and offered a different experience to what most other FPS did at the time in combining regenerative and non-regenerative health systems allowing players to use cover for movement and flanking without having to consider getting shot to the face by a pistol. Both have merit, but in halo's case it rewarded risk with reward. Some of the most overpowered weapons like rocket launchers, swords, sniper rifles, power ups and such were in heavily exposed areas that had teams of players fighting to control for the advantage of winning said item to your side.

I always viewed as having more strategic elements than other FPS and I'd say it required as much communication as counter strike if not more while games like COD would literally just have silence all the way through except when some guy would start raging because his kill was stolen.
>>
It's actually amazing how a game like halo, with incredible scenery, reasonably interesting enemies, open world map design, one of the best implementations of vehicles in a FPS game, perfect co-op and all that can be viewed as inferior to fucking dungeon mazes like doom and quake just because of "muh go fast" and "muh regenerating health".
>>
>>388321952
This is actually exactly right. Reach ruined the Halo formula with classes and armor abilities, turning it into a disgusting hybrid of class shooters and sanbox shooters that didn't deliver on either.
>>
I'll never understand why the majority of this board hates Halo. There seems no rhyme or reason for the hate, even if it's just not your thing. But why the fuck isn't it your thing anyway?

>classic and cool pulp scifi premise - you are the last Spartan, a supersoldier from an illegal research project who was bred to combat a religious alien allegiance devoted to wiping out the human race, who in the process of fleeing the annihilation of Reach stumbles upon a mysterious construct in space that houses a horrible monstrosity that could end the galaxy
>the concept of the constructed ring and its virtual atmospheric layers, and being a foreign entity landing on said construct and exploring it, is analogous to playing a new video game, like a simulation
>you actually feel like a supersoldier because the marines beside you are terribly weak and you can handle hordes of Covenant while they can't handle a single platoon
>marines and Covenant have all sorts of characteristics that make them feel like they're alive, they respond to you and others in a variety of ways, have a variety of lively animations, vocalize a ton, etc.
>the game takes you through a variety of environments, which was very uncommon in older FPS - the narrow corridors of a spaceship, forest and tunnels and beaches and arctic valleys and swamps etc. etc.
>easy to learn, fun to co-op on Legendary, you can use pretty much any gun to get out of any situation reasonably
>tons of situations where you can attack a platoon from different angles and take on different strategies
>vehicle physics, very fun vehicles, even circling a platoon with a warthog and a friend in the gunner seat felt good
>doesn't overstay its welcome
>not too many boring maze-like areas which burdened older FPS games, fairly linear with minor deviations
>INCREDIBLE soundtrack and ambience
>cute AI for the waifufags

It was just fucking good.
>>
File: 175x175bb.jpg (5KB, 175x175px) Image search: [Google]
175x175bb.jpg
5KB, 175x175px
>>388319275
Say whatever you want, but at least Halo has more games than Half-Life. I think having games is superior to killing off your IP in order to become a company that is killing PC gaming. Gordon Freeman is synonymous with shovelware garbage that is Steam Greenlight, while Master chief is still renowned for killing aliens and blowing up shit.
>>
>>388322606
>>388322814
Pretty much everything you listed looked pretty bland compared to the art direction, atmosphere, and sheer gaming perfection that games like DOOM and Quake achieved many, many, years before.
>>
>>388322606
Quake is a good game but I honestly believe Doom is shit. As soon as Blood came out it made Doom irrelevent, sadly it wasn't nearly as popular.
>>
>literally saving pictures of shit to your hard drive to post when people call you out on being mentally challenged when you spam
>muh quake
>muh anime
>muh peecee
>muh consoles
>muh oldfag
Not surprised in the fucking least.
>>
>>388322871

> Nonstop corridor crawl in industrial grey maps

Lol are you kidding?
>>
>>388322871
https://youtu.be/S3tSN3L5InQ?t=927
This was pretty good atmosphere.
>>
>>388322871
>>388322267
>>
>>388322871
DOOM and Quake were okay but they weren't nearly as interesting. They confined you to less diverse environments and their environments were far more maze like, as in they were ugly and repetitive.
>>
>>388323008
Enjoy your ban.
>>
File: The Ring.jpg (117KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
The Ring.jpg
117KB, 1024x768px
>>388322871
>Pretty much everything you listed looked pretty bland compared to the art direction, atmosphere
Sarcasm? For 90% of the time in Doom and Quake you are look at brown, red and grey. Ambience was non existent in the former. Doom is probably one of the most boring games I've ever played from a visual standpoint. Gameplay is great. If you want to argue for visually interesting games before Halo I'd say Thief, Duke Nukem and Unreal 98
>>
>>388322871
Doom has terrible art direction especially compared to Halo.
>>
>>388321774
2 and ODST are mediocre. Wars is garbage. Why is it on there and not Reach? Reach is at least as good as 2.
>>
>>388322871

> responds to a detailed argument with one sentence of dumb-down generalization and opinion

Well done, you are making halo kiddies look smarter than you
>>
Reach's MP was dogshit compared to 2 and 3 but I don't see the problems with the campaign/story in it. Is it because people are frustrated over the fact Bungie retconned some of the things from the novels and comics in the game with the Spartan IIIs?
>>
>>388322871
Halo CE actually felt pretty iconic. For one thing I can remember each of the levels and what they looked like. This is after having not played it for what feels like a decade. Can't say that about every game.
>>
>>388323191
>2
>ODST
>mediocre
No.
>>
>>388321952
>halo wars
>good
>>
>>388321952
What's wrong with CE Anniversary edition?
>>
>>388323191
>Reach is at least as good as 2
Fuck off. Literally Bungie saying "THIS IS FOR THE CALL OF DUTY CROWD". Have fun getting your banshee or ghost fully destroyed by one players full DMR magazine. Or getting two shot by a guy sprinting at you at 30mph. Or getting denied a kill because some guy has a get out of jail free card on a ten second cooldown. Or instantly sworded because the enemy has a roll that sends them flying at you at near unreactable speeds.
>>
>>388323331

But it was. Not like RTSfags have much to pick and choose from in the last 5 years lmao.
>>
>>388322871
>art direction of DOOM and Quake
doom and quake look like generic garbage dude, there's many things to praise about those series but the art direction isn't one of them
>>
>>388323245
The Fall of Reach was so good and they made it about people we don't care about.
>>
File: 1498775760030.gif (2MB, 512x384px) Image search: [Google]
1498775760030.gif
2MB, 512x384px
>>388322871
>art direction
dude a dungeon lmao
even if things like cyberdemons and eldritch space gods were cool as fuck, quake and doom feel like games, where you're just running around killing shit to finish the level. Halo feels like an actual sci-fi adventure. Quake and Doom aren't bad games, they're some of the first games I played, but the gameplay-art direction fusion of halo beats them every day. Even if the best artists in the world worked on a game like doom, they could never beat halo, it's fundamentally superior. It's like comparing a platformer with a third-person RPG, the systems of the latter ARE an aesthetic, and a fundamentally deeper and more immersive one.

And fuck, if you believed DOOM or quake (or even halo) achieved gaming perfection, you've got a bleak view of the future, or very poor imagination.
>>
>>388323435
You wanted to play as Fred didn't you?
>>
File: 1473113780415.gif (4MB, 700x298px) Image search: [Google]
1473113780415.gif
4MB, 700x298px
post yfw turd guy got banned.
>>
>>388323401
Reach was the moment the series shifted from a true sandbox FPS into a "badass simulator" like CoD.
>>
>>388323419
dunno why you would touch it over starcraft or dawn of war unless it's simply because you didn't own a PC at the time
>>
>>388319275
>Console FPS
At least you Halo-fags aren't as nostalgia blinded as Goldeneye-fags.
>>
>>388320192
So you've not played them?
How do you know they're bad?
Please don't tell me you just blindly followed what was posted on here
>>
>>388323481
Any angle from the point of the Spartans. Make it all about the invasion of Reach or include backstory with the insurrection.
>>
>>388323454
>achieved gaming perfection
Then what game has? Quake 3 would be one of my votes
>>
File: IMG_3946.jpg (81KB, 300x427px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3946.jpg
81KB, 300x427px
>>388319275
Bungie's Halo are goat imo, it's the only fps next to the battlefield I play.

Pic related is definitely goat though.
>>
>>388323580
I don't get Goldeneyefags either, I was 7 when it came out and I played it and even then I had enough sense to think something was really wrong about how it controlled.
>>
>>388323580
>>388322267
>>
>>388323698
I really don't think there's much redeemable about Goldeneye aside from the OST. It was literally "FPS's can be okay on consoles" the game
>>
>>388323554

Because I like playing more than 2 games, and Halowars was good, simple fun that respected the source materiel.

It also had lots of love put into it with some interesting levels(fighting flood off the hull of your ship while traveling through the mantle of a artificial planet) and cool kill animations.
>>
>>388323662
You can't achieve gaming perfection, you can always be better, deeper, more beautiful, more complex, with more guns, enemies, features, story, interactions, a bigger world, more life-like, etc. You can't reach the horizon, but you can always travel towards it.
>>
>>388323580
I look at Goldeneye like I do airplanes. Pretty important for the time but would you really enjoy riding on one of the first models of the airplane for legitimate transportation needs?
>>
File: Spelunky.jpg (15KB, 204x247px) Image search: [Google]
Spelunky.jpg
15KB, 204x247px
>>388323662
>>
>>388323847
>>388323662
And you may confuse this with what I call flawlessness courtesy of the diablo 2 gem quality tiers, which is when a game fills out the model it has set for itself. Like tetris, they made all the tetronimos, there's not much more to add, but to call tetris a perfect game? That's just idiocy.
>>
File: CnzjPJc.jpg (428KB, 1895x1581px) Image search: [Google]
CnzjPJc.jpg
428KB, 1895x1581px
>>388323484

Absolute retard, he's probably fuming
>>
>>388323395
They didn't make many of their own assets and just copy/pasted models from Reach and 3 so they completely fail to recapture the original's visual style. They added walls in certain areas that don't appear in the original so you can walk through them and see through the map, stuff like that. The most offensive change is in the level that introduces the flood because they remove any spooky ambiance that was there in the original such as blood splatters on the wall, flickering lights and dark areas to use your torch. Halo 2 Anniversary is far superior as a remaster but unfortunately it's tethered to the broken MCC
>>
>>388323395
They fucked up the face models and 343 Guilty Spark
>>
>>388324160
>Halo 2 Anniversary
Probably one of the few cases where the remake is better than the base game. Only bad part being that it's tied to the remastered songs where the majority are just downright inferior to the originals
>>
Captain King is the coolest vidya protag. Prove me wrong.
>>
>>388319275
this image still tickles me. I was 18 when halo came out, and played it after spending years on QWTF and CS. back then, everyone claimed halo was a copy of arena shooters, but you could clearly see that it wasn't. halo was extremely popular with console games, but I remember all of my mIRC friends hating it. they gave me so much shit for playing which.

good times, good game. too bad it stopped being good after odst.
>>
>>388324308
Has the MCC been fixed now?
>>
>>388321952
>>388322003
>>388321774
>>388319370
What's wrong with Reach? I only played Forge with my cousins.
>>
File: 1498421072714.jpg (177KB, 887x933px) Image search: [Google]
1498421072714.jpg
177KB, 887x933px
>>388319275
>slow, floaty movement
>regenerating shield
>primarily played with a gamepad of all things
In an era of Quake, UT and HL, this game had no chance. Except it was a launch title.

All these kids got introduced to FPS through the wrong game, and it set the tone for all the years of garbage FPS that followed to appeal to that group. Two decades ago, you could not have convinced anybody that anyone would accept gamepads for playing FPS. This shit shows how powerful it is to appeal to children, because no matter how shitty your product is, it's their first experience. Even the biggest turd will become "nostalgic" and set the standard for the next generation. But it gets even worse. Looking at the phone garbage kids play these days, I think we may have a pretty terrible time ahead of us.
>>
1-Reach and 5 are all good games. Some better than others but they all have something to offer.
>>
>>388321580
>>388321723
>>388321838
It's a phoneposter. 99% of phonefags are shitposters.
>>
File: 1499015760637.jpg (7KB, 250x241px) Image search: [Google]
1499015760637.jpg
7KB, 250x241px
>>388324741
>DUDE EVERY SHOOTER MUST HAVE THE SAME SPEED AND GAME MECHANICS
>>
File: h2ost.jpg (49KB, 500x427px) Image search: [Google]
h2ost.jpg
49KB, 500x427px
>>388324308
I don't mind that Incubus' licenced banshee flying song was cut since it's shit, but surely they could have made some kind of deal to get Breaking Benjamin back in there. God knows how many sniper montages that song has spawned

>>388324567
Still a mess but it actually works now, it's a polished turd
>>
>>388321661
We're talking about Half-life right?
>>
>>388324641
Reach fucked this up:
>>388322267

And turned it into a bastardized class based shooter. The maps were phoned in because they had to balance for sprint and thruster pack and the visual design went for realism and made everything muddled in over detail.

Reach gets a big pass because the amazing H3 community mostly came over and bungie made it, but it doesn't deserve it.
>>
They're old enough to have grown up with it. Anything older than you has aged badly, everything younger is dumbed down.
>>
>>388324641
start of the decline from halo being it's own unique series into wacky futuristic sprinting ADS lootbox garbage like ever other series
>>
>>388323720
Uh, wow maybe they really are that delusional.
>>
>>388324741
>>388322267
>>
File: 1488210611206.jpg (46KB, 596x628px) Image search: [Google]
1488210611206.jpg
46KB, 596x628px
>all these butthurt halo babbies that can't accept their beloved series was always mediocre garbage
>>
>>388319275
Considering /v/ likes shit like dota 2 and Pokémon Go, are you really all that surprised?
>>
>>388324976
feel free to have a crack at his argument instead of just dismissing it like an old bigoted fart
>>
>>388325080
has anyone argued against it being mediocre? I enjoyed it when I was younger, but I never thought of it was a great shooter. just something fun to fuck around with.
>>
>>388325080
name a non-mediocre FPS
>>
>>388325080
Why don't you state why it's mediocre or give some shooters that aren't?
>>
File: Holy_Trinity.jpg (353KB, 1453x640px) Image search: [Google]
Holy_Trinity.jpg
353KB, 1453x640px
>>388325135
It can't be mediocre if it's part of the Holy Trinity of Immersive FPS.
>>
>>388325135
Halo is not mediocre, it pioneered Sandbox FPS and i'd argue that Halo 3 is the peak of that genre even though it is imperfect.
>>
File: 1427913691210.jpg (36KB, 716x419px) Image search: [Google]
1427913691210.jpg
36KB, 716x419px
>>388325080

> butthurt because you won't accept my opinion as your own

my whole life was a lie, I can see now I never had fun with Halo at all.
>>
>>388325263
Deus Ex barely even qualifies as FPS
>>
>>388325268
you can pioneer while still being somewhat mediocre at what you do. many think EQ pioneered the MMO(which is false), but when compared to WoW, EQ was a shit.
>>
>>388325263
>no Dark Forces II/Jedi Knight included
>>
File: IMG_20170125_011320.jpg (23KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170125_011320.jpg
23KB, 400x400px
>>388325217
Why Doom of course! And Quake!! They're so original! Mazes, you know... It's old-school!!
>>
>>388325374
Name a better Sandbox FPS.
>>
>>388325374

But Halo has always been the best FPS franchise that did linear, but large and open levels
>>
> all these half-life fags lashing out at Halo because they now know they will NEVER EVER get a third installment
>>
>>388324792
But Reach and 5 arn't Halo games.
>>
>>388325268
What makes Halo a Sandbox FPS?
>>
>>388325673
As a Halo fan, i'd rather Halo died after ODST with the hope for another real Halo to come back some day over the fundemental transformation Halo has taken now.
>>
>>388325673
Hey I'm a half life fag and I love halo. Fuck off
>>
>>388319275
It was terrible on xbox, but Halo CE PC was GOAT.
Sniping noobs across the map with the pistol was fun. If you learned to compensate for the lag by aiming a little in front of their head you were virtually invincible since there were only a few people that did this.
>>
>>388324741
>slow, floaty movement
Not a bad thing, the game overall is slow paced and atmospheric, if you were zooming and sliding through its levels like Road Runner covered in lube, like you do in Doom and HL, it'd ruin all that deliberate pacing and tone.
>regenerating shiled
Incredibly important to the game's combat system. Weapons in Halo are designed to be inaccurate, melee is just as valuable as weaponry, and even grenades work better the closer you get to the enemy due to their very limited splash. The combat is all about getting in close range and taking risks, and a standard health system where you have a finite amount of HP would discourage that. But with regenerating shields, the player is encouraged to get in close and play risky, since if they manage to survive their shield will regenerate anyway. Implimenting it was all about making the game cohesive and play well. In its time, it was an innovative piece of game design.
>primarily played with a gamepad of all things
Yes, because the entire game was built around using it. There's no design element in Halo which would wrok better with a keyboard setup.

As someone who grew up with Doom and Quake and still considers HL1 one of his favourite games, I can tell you that Halo 1 is every bit as well crafted and innovative as those games.
>>
>>388321616

halo used to be banned on old /v/ idiot
>>
>>388325673
I'd gladly trade halo 4 and beyond for a half life 5

it's better to kill a series outright than to drain it to dust over time
>>
>>388325926
>halo used to be banned on old /v/ idiot
Explain the friday night halo 3 custom game threads then faggot
>>
>>388325814

Yeah but it's more like Halo dieing at H2 instead, with absolutely noting resolved.
>>
>>388319275
people think goldeneye is good too when it's fucking awful
>>
>>388325926
I distinctly remember Halo: Custom Edition threads so, no, get fucked.
>>
>>388326017

Not him but if you have to post /v/ when Halo 3 was out, that isn't old /v/. Old /v/ would be when Halo 2 was new and before.
>>
>>388325926
No it wasn't you retard.
>>
>>388319883
They would remove them because Sonyfriends would shitpost and porn dump every fucking MSthread.

Kids are asleep threads were used to talk halo and phantom dust because it was impossible to discuss otherwise
>>
>>388325806
Emergent gameplay.

The player model is easy to control and simple. The complexity doesn't come from execution of input commands or pure reaction time but of meaningful decision-making utilizing the environment and the tools in that environment.

It encourages play and experimentation.

Basically if the time to kill (TTK) is slow enough to warrant positioning and weapon juggling to be viable and the gameplay is conducive to many different styles of play (stealthier, more vehicular, long range, aggressive), and if all players are equally simple and dependent on the environment (no speed manipulation, aim mode) it is a sandbox game.
>>
File: wolf&doom.jpg (174KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
wolf&doom.jpg
174KB, 1920x1080px
honor thy father and thy mother
>>
File: ww8Xlo4B0ow.jpg (492KB, 2339x1753px) Image search: [Google]
ww8Xlo4B0ow.jpg
492KB, 2339x1753px
>>388325916
Don't bother, anon. It's all buzzwords for them. Regeneration, fps on gamepad, slow-paced. They've been repeating this mantra for ages.
>>
>>388325926
Oh yeah I'm sure your an expert on old /v/ you fucking memester
>>
Alright fellas, what was the best Halo vehicle?
>>
>>388326430
I know, but occasionally it feels good to shove reality in their face, even if I know they won't take it in.
>>
>>388326543

Scorpion
>>
Thank goodness for Halo. It completely fucking galvanized FPS games as a genre and Quake babies have been shitting themselves over it ever since, which is great because Quake fans don't deserve happiness.
>>
>>388326543
Warthog is the most balanced, Ghost is a lot of fun for free for all.

FUCK BANSHEES
>>
Goldeneye is held pretty high because its a classic, and the reason its seen as a classic among first-person shooters is because we've never had a shooter as immersive, graphically beautiful, excellent gunplay, a good multiplayer, or expansive as it on consoles when it came on the N64. Same reason is why Halo is so highly acclaimed and popular is because it touched up the shooter formula with a bigger world and vehicular gameplay which was not something with precedent on consoles before it.
>>
In what decade do you think we'll finally see a masterful movie trilogy for Halo 1-3?

It's inevitable in my opinion. If you can cut away the bumps and poorly tied ends in the story that were due to the nature of game development, there is an amazing military scifi epic embedded in it that a passionate director and set of writers could adapt.
>>
>>388326543
Ghosts. You can move fast and shoot at the same time. The drawback is of course being exposed but still the most fun.
>>
>>388319980
>halo 1
>open ended

literally 70% of the game you are locked on copy pasted rails
>>
>>388326796
Halo is timeless.
>>
There was a fucking nigger working at the counter the day Halo1 was originally released. The game itslef is is a fucking CASUAL PIECE OF SHIT but I had a shit experience buying it considering it was some smug fucking NIGGER working the counter that day. Nigger is fucking lucky I didn't decide to bust out the fucking niggerknocker and crack him over his fucking disgusting nappy head. I'm sick of these niggers walking around trying to pretend they're equals to us when their skin resembles actual shit and they were working our farms and cotton fields not even 300 years ago. They're fucking disgusting and have no humility or shame when around Whites. God I seriously fucking hate niggers so fucking much. It's about time someone they time to die.
>>
>>388319275

Multiplayer is still fun.
>>
>>388326834
I just want Fall of Reach and Halo CE: the movie, after that they can do whatever they want.
>>
>>388325509
ARMA
>>
>>388326894
Did writing this make you feel good? Violence is never justified, least of all racially motivated violence.
>>
>>388326894
Nice halo thread guys
>>
My top five shooters:

Halo CE
Half-Life
Dark Forces II: Jedi Knight
Return to Castle Wolfenstein
Duke Nukem

Honorable mention: Painkiller and Serious Sam.
>>
>>388321765
true
>>
File: 74088500.jpg (50KB, 500x491px) Image search: [Google]
74088500.jpg
50KB, 500x491px
>>388326894
>It's about time someone they time to die.
>>
>>388327060
Might as well give mine too

Halo 3
Half life 2
One Unit Whole Blood
Tribes 2
Quake 1
>>
>dude lets make the enemies have a bazillion of health and let them regenerate too

how the fuck does people have the brain to play this shit on anything over normal? even the fucking devs say that the game is supposed to be played on heroic, what the shit
>>
>>388326986
An actual argument can be made there, good job.

ARMA is interesting but I believe it is an extremely niche game. Realism can be cool but isn't always conducive to a fun game. The weapon sandbox isn't the best either.
>>
>>388327356
Because there's multiple ways to kill them in like 1 second. Like splattering them, or stickying them, or grenading them to break their shields and then one shotting them with the pistol, or assassinating them, or sniping them... etc.... The only time that enemies take more than one magazing of ammo to kill is on LASO
>>
>>388327060
Halo 3
Halo CE
Blood
Doom: Ultimate Edition
Bioshock
>>
Since there are some people who seem like they actually know what they're talking about when it comes to FPS in this thread:
What's wrong with Overwatch's core gameplay?
>>
>>388327707
cooldowns
too many shields
too low ttk for the speed
absolutely godawful map design
>>
>>388327707
Depends on what you're looking for. Overwatch is a mixture between class-based shooter and arcade shooter. The game is unbalanced and can turn into a clusterfuck with all the different clashing playstyles, but some people enjoy the over the top mess of situations where you are overpowered and some where you're fucked.

Basically if you're looking for a fair class based shooter where you have a balanced role to contribute to a team than Overwatch isn't your game.

But if you are bored of modern FPS and want to play a CUUURAAAZY clusterfuck of mayhem than Overwatch can work.
>>
>>388319275
>nu

Opinion discarded
>>
>>388325114
Feel free to kill yourself, son.
>>
File: halo4ads.jpg (28KB, 631x335px) Image search: [Google]
halo4ads.jpg
28KB, 631x335px
>>388322814
>classic and cool pulp scifi premise - you are the last Spartan, a supersoldier from an illegal research project who was bred to combat a religious alien allegiance devoted to wiping out the human race, who in the process of fleeing the annihilation of Reach stumbles upon a mysterious construct in space that houses a horrible monstrosity that could end the galaxy

Reading this, and realizing where the plot of the series has gone with 4 and 5, made me so sad.

Just look at this picture. This is what it has all come to.
>>
>>388327707
It's shallow as shit and in most scenarios you quite literally can't do shit to counter what caused your death.
>>
>>388328331

>Halo 1
>An Ancient Evil is Discovered

>Halo 4
>An Ancient Evil Awakens

Really percolates the brainpot
>>
>>388327060
Halo: CE
Far Cry
Serous Sam 3: BFE
Call of Juarez: Gunslinger
Titanfall 2 (skipped the first)

Honorable mentions: Crysis, Metro: Last Light, Halo 3 custom games, Timeshift, Ghost Recon (original), R6 Vegas
>>
>>388326017
>>388326180

that wasn't even old /v/ you faggots
>>
>>388330360
>that wasn't even old /v/
I don't give a shit about what old /v/ was like, the same place where shit like porn dumps would just happen because the mods were to shit to care. /v/'s always been the worst board, side by side with new /b/
Thread posts: 208
Thread images: 31

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.