[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Source 2

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

File: L4D2-1.png (585KB, 950x531px) Image search: [Google]
L4D2-1.png
585KB, 950x531px
Okay, so now that HL3 is kill, what ended up being the point of Source 2 and Rubikon?

>This recreation of an L$D2 map
>Used for Destinations, where people found L4D3 materials and test-maps, along with Half-Life related code strings
>DotA got ported to it aeons ago
>Still iffy on whether or not CSGO is getting ported
>TF2 is a no go

Why?

Why develop a new engine with a completely new, advanced proprietary physics engine to boot, only to use it on nothing cool? They have to have something in the works to justify all the engineering/effort/money that went into making Source 2 and show off its tech, right? Did they pull a fucking Square/Konami, like with Final Fantasy XV and MGSV, developing a fancy new engine only to use it on a single game?
>>
Artifact wouldn't work on Source 1
>>
>>388290468
They've said many times that Source 2 wasn't just one thing - it's many different things that all together make it. But considering how they've been confirmed literal liars now, who knows. My thought is that it just makes updating already existing games easier (maybe this proves TF2 is stuck on Source 1 because it breaks every time they update it?).
>>
There is L4D3, Portal 3, [New Game].
Even TF3 is possible, but I would bet in a brand new game.
Also, Source 2 is kinda disappointing (compare to what ScrGold/Source achieved).
>>
>>388290793
>they've been confirmed literal liars now
what?
>>
This may be a shitty theory, but I think Source 2 was in development before DOTA 2 really exploded, and as more and more of Valve became devoted to DOTA and Steam itself, development slowed to a crawl.

Also, "a third" of Valve is working on VR. They said they were working on multiple VR releases not too long ago, so maybe that's in Source 2. I dunno.
>>
>>388291101
They say CSGO is coming to source 2 this year, plus all of their other recent projects use it. It's dumb to say it's unfinished, look at OP's pic. They even gave GDC talks on their new tech.
>>
>>388291101
Not a shitty theory, there is some leaks since 2007 or 2009, don't remember.
L4D3 has been positively leaked in '11 / '13, also don't remember.
>>
>>388290793
I heard they didn't want to port tf2 into source 2 due to the amount of manual work it would require to port the billions of cosmetics. I don't have a source on that though.
>>
>>388291240
They also said source 2 would release in 2014
>>
>>388290468
>what is the point of source 2
dota and csgo hat money
>>
>>388291968
Where?
>>
>>388291968
2014 in valve time is like 2020 anon.
>>
>>388290468
Graphical updates for post 2010 engines are incremental that requires no ground up rebuild unless marketing decision states, no matter what it's called they're mostly incremental improvement of the old, unlike vehicles or physical objects.
Current game engine updates are mostly infrastructure on stupidly named "IoT" that touches the network side, future expansion of assets and supports of more complex digital distribution systems.

Graphics have been at a stop since 2010, the only thing we go up is the power to push higher resolution and framerates.
>>
>>388290569
Artifact will probably use unity anyway so they can easily port it to android/ios like hearthstone.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.