[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Which one's better?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 129
Thread images: 8

File: portal 1 and 2.jpg (13KB, 586x192px) Image search: [Google]
portal 1 and 2.jpg
13KB, 586x192px
Which one's better?
>>
>>388277673

I liked 2 more, both very solid games though.
>>
>>388277673
Gameplay 1
Story 2
>>
>>388277673
Portal 2 is the better game, there is no way you can deny this. Portal 1 is pretty much a glorified tech demo.
Neither does that mean that Portal 2 doesn't have flaws, nor that Portal 1 is bad.
>>
>>388278569
Um, no sweetie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qvhjczPD1DA
>>
>>388278441
What do you mean by gameplay? Like actual portal mechanics or the overall quality of the puzzles?
>>
the only good thing stephen merchant's ever done.
>>
File: Laughing Crying Emoji 18.jpg (3MB, 4160x2340px) Image search: [Google]
Laughing Crying Emoji 18.jpg
3MB, 4160x2340px
>>388278615
>e-celeb
>>
>>388278639
puzzles
having less white surface damaged the creativity when solving puzzles
>>
>>388277673
First one. No question about it. Portal 2 was too focused on the story and a lot of the puzzle elements suffered. First half was pretty great, despite reusing old puzzles, but the latter half was a bit of a drag. The gels made for good puzzles and there was even more potential, but they were streamlined too far.
You can't really get creative with Portal 2, since the solution is clearly laid out in the form of single white panels and areas. You can only use your portals on very limited area, so it's much easier to brute force your way through a big portion of the game, while the first one forced you to use your brain more.
Not saying either of the games' puzzles were mind boggling, but for a puzzle game I think it's best to keep things at least a little open ended instead of holding the player by the hand. It's just more rewarding.
>>
The first game. 2 went from "figure out where to put the portals in these big white rooms" to "find the single white panel you can actually put the portal on."
>>
>>388278615
>e-celeb opinion
>>
>>388278870
>You can't really get creative with Portal 2, since the solution is clearly laid out in the form of single white panels and areas
but the latter half uses the blue, orange and white goo puzzles.
>>
>>388278939
if an e-celeb said 2+2=4 would they still be wrong?
>>
>>388277673
I prefer the first tone of the first one.
In the second game, GlaDos never felt like a serious threat and Wheatley was an atrocious character throughout the entire game.
They also didn't bother to properly edit GlaDos' voice into sounding robotic and instead had the voice actor attempt to sound like a robot. As for Wheatley, they did not even try.
Not to mention the butchered physics. Objects passing through one portal always exit the other in the dead center, and if I remember correctly, the angle is reset as well.
Whether or not this was for optimization, or to make it easier to play on console, I don't know, but I am not a fan of it.
>>
>>388278967
I said the gels were great and they were used in conjunction very well, but the puzzles themselves were still limited. Even the white gel never required much thought to figure out.
Portal 2 is a good game, but it's inferior to the first one.
>>
>>388279068

Of course not, but don't just drop a link to some retards youtube and act like it is your own opinion. Think for yourself you cucklord.
>>
1 had great puzzles but 2 had an amazing sense of scale. 2 also has the map making tools and the co-op was fun albeit short
>>
>>388279387
What if that is his opinion? You sort of contradicted yourself by first agreeing with the math analogy, then telling people to ''think for themselves''.
Consider the following. If someone has made a reasonable argument which convinced you to reconsider your stance on something and later on you find yourself in a debate about that same thing, only now you're arguing from the opposite side of what you used to. What's wrong with using that same argument that convinced you?
You can't own ideas. Someone having the same opinion as an e-celeb doesn't mean he can't think for himself. It just means he listened to the argument and agreed with it.
>>
>>388278639
Portal 2 holds your hand only covering "important" areas with the moon-rock walls, I'm certain someone has the image im referring to

The game was more entertaining because of the writing but I just felt like I was going through the motions while the first game I actually had to slow down and think about a few of them.
>>
>>388279778

then write it down. Don't link it to some cuckholds youtube.
>>
>>388279383
The white gel is the last one, it gets used very scarcely compared to the blue and orange ones, which is a given since it is the portal surface juice.

Really though, the orange and blue gel goo puzzles made me think a lot more than any puzzle in the first game, a lot more messing around with the physics too to make it so that you had an orange path that ended in a blue spot so that you could do the required long jump.
>>
Portal 2 was better made and better executed.
Portal 1, however, had a better setting because you didn't know what you were going into. You were excited to lean more about Glados, excited to learn more about your lonely condition and the hints that things were not all well in the facility.
By the second, you already knew too much about the setting for them to make any big surprises.
>>
>>388278887
>"find the single white panel you can actually put the portal on."
That was only in the old aperture area, and it was the minority of puzzles, instead they're about the gels.
>>
>>388280320
It was in the beginning of the game too because the facility was trashed and she was replacing all the walls
>>
>>388278615
Is the fat friend Gabe?
>>
>>388280406
the beginning of the game you didn't even have the gun, and when you do get it it's to do basic single-portal puzzles, then you revive her and regular portal 1-tier puzzles begin.
>>
>>388280506
I didn't even remember the single-gun stuff from 2 until you said it so you're probably right

My memory of the game is hazy
>>
File: 1481271699706.jpg (225KB, 599x563px) Image search: [Google]
1481271699706.jpg
225KB, 599x563px
>>388277673
Portal 2 is the better game gameplay-wise, but since it's a sequel it loses most of the charm the original had.
It doesn't try anything crazy and inovative like Portal 1.

So I rate Portal 1 higher. Specially for the moment when Chell "breaks out of the matrix" and escapes the test chambers. It can't be replicated.
>>
Portal 2 had J.K. Simmons in it so by default it's better.
>>
>>388277673
I like Portal 2 a little more thanks to the art and sound direction. Exploring old aperture is much more interesting than anything Portal 1 has.
>>
>>388280869
The feeling of finding that first ajar panel in 1 with the hidden chamber was unparalleled. The first red scribbles, the original "the cake is a lie" before it was a meme. Not being spoiled on it was a shock to your system. It changed how you viewed the entire game from there on out. You can't do that twice and have the same amount of impact.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tL_TFXbSnLY
>>
Portal 2 for the story alone. I loved the first game's tone, but after reading HL3's story I feel like it gives something a little more to Portal 2.

I play both yearly anyway, it's one of my favorite game series.
>>
>>388277673
Portal 2
>>
>>388279068
That's not an opinion.
>>
>>388279778
Mate, he literally dropped a youtube link and followed it up with a dumb meme
>Um, no sweetie
>>
>>388277673
second half of Portal 2 > Portal > first half of Portal 2
>>
>>388277673
Portal 1 has way better atmosphere. They tried way too hard with the humor with the second game, it feels like a wackier cartoon than TF2, which was meant to be a wacky cartoon.
>>
How does Chell survive miles-long falls?
Why dies she survive them in cutscenes and not gameplay?
>>
>>388277673

Portal 1 is more solid in terms of atmosphere and not wearing the welcome out.

2 adds in things and that's appreciated, but it felt too "try hard" at being funny.
>>
>>388277673
Portal 2 has the best mechanics, story, characters, and level design/atmosphere outside of puzzles. Problem is that to make it accessible to even little children they made the puzzles easy and straightforward, with limited surfaces to place portals and with big ass targets drawn on them in case you're mentally challenged.

They even removed the possibility to game over on situations where you're required to make fast decisions, forcing the correct portal to be placed regardless of what button you clicked. It's a mistake that would happen literally once in a playthrough, make you go "Oh duh! I placed the wrong portal" then do it right the second time, yet they couldn't even let that happen.
They made sure the only challenge in the game was figure out how to solve the puzzles, and removed any and all cases where timing, accuracy and skill would have been needed.
>>
>>388281854
Portal 2 had harder puzzles, I spent a lot more time on them than the first game which I breezed through since there's no messy physics-related shit like the blue and orange gels.
>>
>>388281698
>Why dies she survive them in cutscenes and not gameplay?
You never played portal, did you?
>>
>>388281986
I did, both of them, what about it?

Or let me guess, you're gonna tell me that the "cutscenes" aren't actually cutscenes because they're done in-engine even though you can't do anything or have minimal interactivity (like looking around when falling down the hole alongside potato glados) anyhow?
>>
File: 1490560925307.jpg (3KB, 360x360px) Image search: [Google]
1490560925307.jpg
3KB, 360x360px
>>388281854
>Old Valve: "testers keep placing the wrong portal during critical fast paced moments" "Ok, lets add an alternate route for players in that case, and record special lines for Glados mocking the player"

>Nu Valve: just make the game place the correct one
>>
>>388281978
In most gel puzzles you're also limited with the amount of surfaces you can drench with gel, because you put one portal below the faucet, and another in one of the very few portal enabled surfaces, usually the only one available.
>>
>>388282120
I brute forced a bunch of Portal 2's puzzles in ways I'm sure Valve didn't intend to.
>>
>>388281698
Are you baiting? Glados mentions the long fall boots like a thousand times, they even got added to TF2 as cosmetics.
>>
I honestly can't choose and I find myself going back and forth between which one I like better.
>>
>>388281698
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wX9Sc88qreg
>>
>>388282116

neither portal game has fall damage, retard
>>
>>388282181
False, you can drench the shit out of the room most of the time because you always have to spread gels by using portals through a big huge stream of goo, and the physics engine makes it so that they splatter all over the place.

Plus that doesn't make a puzzle complex, it makes it easier, it's not like the goal is ever hidden, you already know where to go. Getting the right amount and placement is what matters because they both overlap one another so you have to be very careful in puzzles where you have to mix both for a long jump.
>>
>>388282349
never said otherwise, great reading.
>>
>>388282116
She has the special boots that negate fall damage
>>
>>388282459
Thanks.
>>
>>388277673
Portal 2 had a lot of fun dialogue in it. Portal 1 had some good stuff but not as clever as 2. Portal 1 had a better song.
>>
>>388282530
>Portal 1 had a better song.
Ending song, sure. But Portal 2 had "Exile", which played in one of the many radios scattered across the game.
>>
>>388281698
Nigga the very first time a portal opens and you see yourself the first thing you see is yourself wearing the weird long fall boots, which GLaDOS later comments on.
>>
Portal was a subtle and atmospheric game, 2 was a cartoon. Just compare the haunting drones of the original's soundtrack with the loud, bombastic electronic grinding noises of 2's.
>>
>>388277673
Portal. Simple, fun, intuitive.
Portal 2 may as well be Half Life: Episode Pitchford
>>
>>388278441
Backwards I think. 2 added a lot of cool things to spice the game up but the story consisted of lol randum reddit humor. 1 had a short but sweet story and overall presentation
>>
>>388282116
>Or let me guess, you're gonna tell me that the "cutscenes" aren't actually cutscenes because they're done in-engine
All your knowledge about valve games seems to come from shitposters on /v/.
>>
>>388277673
Portal 2 is the better game in literally every way but /v/ doesn't like it because "le cake is a lie xD" became a thing before it was released.
>>
>>388282434
>never said portal didn't have fall damage

>How does Chell survive miles-long falls?
>Why dies she survive them in cutscenes and not gameplay?
>>
>>388277673
>Portal 1 had boring, tube shaped elevators with metal doors and walls
>GladOS is deactivated at the end of the game, and it's implied Aperture remained in a state of minimal automated maintenance ever since running on the power the unattended nuclear churned out.
>Portal 2 starts before GladOS is reactivated. It somehow has futuristic looking glass tube elevators that work with pressurized air with propaganda screens in the background.
Who the fuck build those?
>>
>>388283052
Does Portal 2 state that glados has been inactive the entire time?
>>
>>388283247
It's pretty obvious seeing as how the entire area is overrun by vegetation.
>>
>>388283247
You literally switch her on at the beginning, and she tells you how she relived the time of her "death" time and time again for untold years as part of some sort of black box feature the Aperture scientist designed.
The game starts because the nuclear reactor is about to blow up due to lack of maintenance. GladOS literally starts to rebuild the facility as you progress in the game.
>>
>>388283535
You don't have to use literally in every second sentence anon.
>>
>>388278639
Portal 1 is like solving a jigsaw puzzle; Portal 2 is like solving a jigsaw puzzle where all but 3 of the pieces have already been placed
>>
>>388283623
At least it wasn't used in place of figuratively.
>>
>>388283052
I think it's fair to have radically different areas between the two games since in 2 it's shown that the facility is miles deep and long. Anything could be in there, really.
>>
File: 1448883271843.jpg (45KB, 512x512px) Image search: [Google]
1448883271843.jpg
45KB, 512x512px
>>388282902
I don't think you've played the first one.

I am not surprised to see that some people like one or two aspects of portal 2, but how someone can ignore its downgraded physics, terrible artstyle, plotholes, change of already established characters, the poor level design, the lazy GlaDos voice, and the shitty music, and the outright missing atmosphere is beyond me. And don't get me fucking started on Wheatley.
>>
>>388283052
It shows you how the buildings, parts, and things can rearrange in the game. And you know it got a budget that time, rather than being a lunch break project.

>>388277673
Unfair question. Portal 1 gets respect as it was a new idea at the time and created a fun game on a shoe string budget, but was a tad lacking on visuals even for its time. But it had good humor and intersting story. 2 expands that story and looks a lot better, but it can only add elements and new ways to use the original idea of 1 of which the game is based around ie the portal gun.

So yea 2 looks better and adds features, but 1 came up with the idea so was more original in its time. So it depends on what you value. I played them back to back once and it was pretty seemless it just felt like I flowed into more levels when I hit part 2 adding in things just like the levels in 1 did.
>>
>>388283924
>and the outright missing atmosphere
This is such a non-argument. Atmosphere isn't something concrete you can point out and say ''Look. There's the atmosphere.''
It's made up of all kinds of things like visuals, sound and even gameplay in some cases. To say that the atmosphere in Portal 2 was lacking is absolutely pants-on-head retarded.
>>
>>388283879
>>388284052
Wheatley mentions the room where GladOS was "sleeping" was her chamber, which would mean it's the same chamber from the end of Portal 1. So at the beginning of Portal 2 you're basically in the same section of the facility than at the end of Portal 1.
>>
>>388284213
I guess I did feel disappointment
>>
>>388284318
That part makes no sense, yeah, but everything else can be explained by the rooms shifting about. I mean, I guess you could say there are nanobots doing these alterations as mentioned in one scene, but I doubt that was little more than a throwaway joke for Wheatley to say.
>>
>>388284318
Portal 2 does away with any kind of internal consistency the world might have had. Having the potato be unaffected by the energy field between chambers for example.
Also, Cave Johnson, as funny as he can be, completely ruins the entire universe of Portal and by proxy Half-Life.
>>
1 was more compact, there was a lot of empty running around and "ooo how do you get out of this big empty behind-the-scenes area" in 2, but I liked all the mechanics it introduced.
They were both great games
>>
1 was better imo. I like short games that never have a dull moment
>>
>>388282120

Are you referring to the portal you put on the moon moon? That's perfectly okay to make the correct one always place because that's essentially a cutscene and not a puzzle.
>>
>>388284213
this is such a lame semantics point. By your own definition, referencing a game's atmosphere in place of naming those elements should work in its context.
>>
>>388283924
>the poor level design
Level design was top notch. You're thinking puzzle design, which was admittedly lackluster in a way.
>change of already established characters
Who, GladOS? She's the same for the first half of the game as she was in the first game. Only after she becomes a potato she starts to develop and change a bit because of the Caroline program that got activated inside her, and that wasn't even a permanent change.
>the lazy GlaDos voice
Bull-fucking-shit.
>and the shitty music
Portal 1 didn't have any background music worth mentioning either. Both games had good ending songs.
>and the outright missing atmosphere is beyond me
This is retarded.
>>
>>388283924

I think you're just a contrarian.

Portal 2 is just an expanded Portal 1. The fucking "lazy GlaDos voice" you're referring to is just her natural non-retarded voice you hear at the end of the first Portal.
>>
>>388284501
>Having the potato be unaffected by the energy field between chambers for example.
Maybe it's because it was attached to the Portal gun. The energy field doors are supposed to let the Portal gun and its wielder pass, but nothing else.
I agree nonetheless that it definitely did away with a lot of internal consistency.
>>
>>388282749
What, you didn't like le wacky lemons of doom?
>>
Portal 1 is simpler and it's a matter of opinion if that makes it better than portal 2 or not.
>>
>>388284758
>>388284784
In portal 1, GladOS's voice was heavily edited manually to create a convincing effect. In portal 2 it was just acting and it was terribly obvious through the whole game.

>Portal 1 didn't have any background music worth mentioning either.
It had lots of great tracks with actual atmosphere to them.
https://youtu.be/IyPb-8OjWVk

Meanwhile in portal 2
https://youtu.be/wcud2Km2iwM
cool "atmosphere"
>>
>>388277673
Portal 2 is such a pain to replay because you have to listen to the same lame jokes over and over.
>>
>>388285541

Neither games have any replayability. Puzzle games never do unless you wait long enough that you can no longer remember the solutions to the puzzles.
>>
>>388285456
Portal 2's soundtrack wasn't supposed to be atmospheric and understated, though there was some ambience in there.
How is this even a fair comparison?
>>
The co op puzzles in 2 were better than both 1 and 2's single player campaigns
>>
>>388285943
First Portal game had interesting challenges like solving a puzzle by using as few portals as possible, or taking as few steps as possible.
>>
>>388285943
I can enjoy speeding through portal 1 to kill an hour or two, but portal 2 just has so many moments where you have to walk along a corridor while the game shoves an oh so clever joke down your throat.
>>
>>388285456
>posting best example for one
>posting possibly the worst example for the other
lol
>>
The second is superior in every way but the first got its own charm that the second lacks
>>
>>388286143
>>388286406
It's not a fair comparison, but it's as fair as it gets.
I could cherrypick in favor of portal 2 but that'd be picking about one or two songs out of a soundtrack of 64 songs. Meanwhile pretty much all of portal 1's songs are as great as the one I posted earlier.
>>
>>388285456
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJIgHWnkcnA

Stop cherry picking to help your argument. Both have unremarkable background music with some few athmospheric gems here and there.
>>
>>388286721
see >>388286694
>>
>>388286792
You say "as far as it gets" yet you have better choices you purposely ignore to help your poor argument.

Fuck off already.
>>
File: wheeze.png (52KB, 474x349px) Image search: [Google]
wheeze.png
52KB, 474x349px
>>388286721
>>388286983
oh shit I didn't listen to the song you posted, you found the track I was looking for when I posted earlier. I was gonna post that as an example of how terrible portal 2's soundtrack is.
I'm starting to understand who I'm arguing with now.
>>
>>388287092
Please stop making a fool of yourself, it's embarrassing.
>>
>>388287273
>>388287092
>Samefagging
>>
>>388287273
I'm sorry I hurt your feelings.
Maybe some more distorted sounds will make you feel better.
>>
>>388277673
portal was a glorified experiment, 2 was the proper game
>>
>>388287363
That doesn't even make sense.
>>388287523
Hurt my feelings? What gave you that idea? I'm telling you that you look like a fool. The post I replied to had zero substance.
>>
>>388277673
2 because glados is my waif
>>
Portal 2 because it was the last co-op game I played with my dad...
>>
>>388287676
>What gave you that idea?
Your response to me criticizing Portal 2's soundtrack:
>P-please stop

also
>defending portal 2's soundtrack
>tell others they're embarrassing themselves
Need I say more?
>>
First one I finished in a blink of an eye.
I felt much more enganged in the second. Potato Glados was awesome, also, play that portal 2 mod that passes before glados became glados. I forgot the name, lemme check.
>>
>>388286206
2 has them as well.
>>
>>388288364
No, I responded to you elevating your personal opinion to an accepted fact and being a pretentious faggot about it. I have no strong feelings about either soundtrack. Now stop writing like an autistic 10 year old, please.
>>
>>388288420
Its Portal Stories: Mel https://www.prismstudios.org/portalstories/
IIRC it is aproved by valve.
>>
>>388288527
Cool insults. In this case, even if by coincidence, my opinion on this matter appear to be widely accepted. You're still entitled to your own opinions.
>>
>>388288157
I'm jealous, my dad is dead.
>>
File: ~v~.jpg (125KB, 466x450px) Image search: [Google]
~v~.jpg
125KB, 466x450px
>>388278615
>my opinion comes from fedoralord youtube gaming journalist
>>
I prefer the darker tone of the first game. At first aperture seems like a happy and magical place but you discover it's dark underbellies the further you go in the game. Portal 2 always had a comedy tone.
>>
I wanted to play a game about portals, not a game about needles in haystacks and goo. I only managed to beat the second game through force of will; it gets really bad (and really bland) once you fall into Old Aperture.
>>
>>388277673
Neither, both shoehorned into half-life universe.
>>
I think Portal 2 is a better game but Portal 1 is a more iconic game
>>
>>388289761
sweetie...
>>
>>388279387
>thinking for yourself means disagreeing with someone
>>
>>388289761
>My opinion comes from /v/
Ugh. Form your own opinion. This one is mine.
>>
>>388290001
Tone in 1 was darker, but the actual content of 2 was closer to System Shock levels of fucked the hell up though.

>>388291291
Yea but their pacing is so much better.
>>
>>388277673
Portal 1's soundtrack is fucking amazing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t9nocjg2OLI

I think Portal 2 fell flat on soundtrack *in comparison* but was better in Story and gameplay for sure.
>>
Portal 1 is extremely short, Portal 2 is pretty easy.
>>
>>388280018
Why bother if someone has written it better?
Thread posts: 129
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.