[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

ITT: classic soulslikes

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 11

File: Castlevania_SOTN_PAL.jpg (112KB, 380x384px) Image search: [Google]
Castlevania_SOTN_PAL.jpg
112KB, 380x384px
ITT: classic soulslikes
>>
File: 81FcnqqmoSL._SL1500_.jpg (285KB, 1500x1349px) Image search: [Google]
81FcnqqmoSL._SL1500_.jpg
285KB, 1500x1349px
>>
>soulslikes

You mean Metroidvanias, which is what Souls games pretty much are?
>>
>>388271929
Yes, Dark Souls is a 2D platformer
>>
File: bait_maybe.jpg (397KB, 827x1223px) Image search: [Google]
bait_maybe.jpg
397KB, 827x1223px
>>388271190
>>388271929

>Metrovania
>like Dark Souls
>>
>>388272906
Dark Souls is literally metroidvania in 3d
>>
File: wtfamireading_155.jpg (18KB, 350x350px) Image search: [Google]
wtfamireading_155.jpg
18KB, 350x350px
>>388273960

In what way are you coming to that conclusion? It doesn't share anything with metrovania. Doesn't have item progression, similar level design or even setting. Batman Arkham Asylum is closer to a metrovania than a souls game is.
>>
If you said classic castlevania instead of metroidvania I would have actually agreed with your bullshit op
>>
>>388276763
>>388274528
Yeah, because classicvanias are built around interconnected worlds and unlocking shortcuts to get around between areas quickly.
>>
>>388274528
Batman is closer to Zelda genius.
In Batman and Zelda you get gadgets that let you progress to the next intended area.
Metroidvanias are more about unlocking abilities and routes to get to new areas of the map.

Dark Souls is like metroidvanias in that you choose which area you do next.
It's also very similar to Super Metroid in the fact that you need to kill 4 big bads before you can get to the last area.
>>
>>388276949
Only the first Dark Souls has any sort of macro interconnected world. DeS is a hub, BB is a mixture between DeS and DaS and then DaS II and III are largely linear.
>>
Y'all crackas are posting in a bait thread.
>>
File: facepalm_samus.jpg (19KB, 124x141px) Image search: [Google]
facepalm_samus.jpg
19KB, 124x141px
>>388277240

>Batman is closer to Zelda genius.
>In Batman and Zelda you get gadgets that let you progress to the next intended area.
The first Metroid game was made to combine the item progression of Zelda with the platforming of Mario. As stated by Sakamoto himself. So by your logic, Metroid is also 'more like Zelda' in that same regard. Which it is, It's close to Zelda 2. But not the exact same thing.

In the same way, a souls game is closer to a game like Zelda 2 than it is Metroid.

>Dark Souls is like metroidvanias in that you choose which area you do next.
No it isn't. By your logic, then Shantae or Castlevania III is 'like Dark Souls'. Or hell, Suikoden III and Star Fox.

The issue here is, the locations you go to in Souls games are nothing like a Metroid game. In visual or game design.

>It's also very similar to Super Metroid in the fact that you need to kill 4 big bads before you can get to the last area.
This just in. Half the NES library is 'like Souls'.
>>
>>388277260
das2 was't all that linear really, a lot less than 3, and if i remember well you have more places you can go from the begining.
seriously, what are your choices in das1? a skeleton filled-crypt, and the valley of drakes if you have the master key?
the world design in 2 sucked though, but i didn't care about that, it's not like it made all that much sense in das1 either
>>
>>388277792
You do realize that Zelda was a main inspiration for Metroid right?
And it's not about "choosing where to go" or visual design. It's about having different areas of the game that are physically connected to each other and varied ways of traversing from one zone to another. For example, in Metroid Fusion, there are secret tunnels to be found connecting each of the six habitats of the space station. Similarly, there are unlockable passageways and elevators, etc connecting Firelink with Burg, Lower Burg, Blighttown, Valley of Drakes, etc.
>>
>>388277831
You can do a bunch of things early on in Dark Souls like going back to the Undead Asylum, Darkroot Garden and Darkroot Basin before you even get to the Depths. Darkroot also connects you back to Undead Burg, can't really think of any other game that gives you all those options (including the ones you mentioned with the Master Key) right off the bat in the series.

Technically Demon's Souls is the most non linear but everything is segmented since it uses the Nexus as a hub. Admittedly I haven't played DaS II since release so I'm not very knowledgeable about its map layout but I don't ever hear people talking about its world design positively.
>>
>>388278196

>You do realize that Zelda was a main inspiration for Metroid right?
>literally referenced that in my post
Well, time to stop responding to an idiot.
>>
File: 1v2.png (108KB, 1430x818px) Image search: [Google]
1v2.png
108KB, 1430x818px
>>388278484
DaS has interconnectedness between almost all of its zones in some way, aside from the DLC and Anor Londo.

DaS II is laid out mostly like a pitchfork, actually very similarly to Demon's Souls, except without a literal hub like the Nexus. There are several branches that go off in different directions, and very rarely do they ever interact with each other.
>>
>>388271190
Demon's souls is a classic dark souls like.
>>
>>388278957
Images like this make me think that DaS I was a fluke, none of the other games had map design this good.
>When you first took the elevator from Undead Parish and arrived in Firelink Shrine
>>
>>388278484
it's not right off the bat though, you need to have done the burg for most of those options(or run with the master key) and you clearly arent meant to explore much from the get-go, but it does open up extremely quickly and widely. you're right about it's interconnectivity though, it's the most linked world in the souls series to my knowledge.
das2 world design is just weird and nonsensical at time, like going from a windmill in an elevator to a lava-flooded castle, but that's because they choose to use elevator to separate most levels. it's still somewhat interconnected though, or at least non-linear, unlike ds3 which barely gives you the illusion of choice
>>
>>388279214
This is why I compare Dark Souls 1 to a Metroidvania, shit like taking the elevator from Parish to Firelink feels exactly the same as taking the winding corridor from the Marble Hallway to the blocked portion of the Castle Entrance in SotN, and it's fucking great.
>>
>>388279214
well, good map design like that while making a sensical world is definitively hard, plus with their focus on making them hard games for hardcore gamers, the sequels lost polish for the world building, which is a real shame
>>
File: soul_reaver_1.jpg (3MB, 6000x6000px) Image search: [Google]
soul_reaver_1.jpg
3MB, 6000x6000px
>>388279214
map time?
i really liked this one
>>
>>388271190
That game was way too easy to be soulslike. Here's a serious answer.
>>
File: Church_giant_art.jpg (340KB, 980x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Church_giant_art.jpg
340KB, 980x1080px
>>388271190
Playing Bloodborne with the Threaded Cane is the closest you'll ever get to a 3D Castlevania.
>>
>>388279496
>castlevania invented elivators
>>
File: laughing_girl_2.png (227KB, 457x444px) Image search: [Google]
laughing_girl_2.png
227KB, 457x444px
Forbidden Memories
>>
>[x] feels like a Souls game
>I want From Software to make the next game in [x] series
This right here is why people hate Souls fans.
>>
File: Crash_Bandicoot_Cover.png (188KB, 300x298px) Image search: [Google]
Crash_Bandicoot_Cover.png
188KB, 300x298px
>>388271190
Thread posts: 30
Thread images: 11

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.