[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Old school MMOs

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3

File: SWG Logo.jpg (35KB, 604x423px) Image search: [Google]
SWG Logo.jpg
35KB, 604x423px
I'm looking for an older MMO that required lots of time and effort to be enjoyable, as well as a good chunk of community interaction. I played UO Emulator in the past with some /v/irgins on some shard, and I heard something similar exists now for SWG pre-NGE, and I'm interested in that.

Also open to other suggestions for similar games that are sandboxes that are community driven that can preferably be played for free.
>>
File: everquest killers.jpg (226KB, 1005x630px) Image search: [Google]
everquest killers.jpg
226KB, 1005x630px
Wait for Suncrusher. Play Legends of Aria and Project Gorgon.
>>
>>388259459
I'll look those games up in a second, but thanks for the recommendations my good anon.
>>
>>388259807
Legends of Aria is NWN's modding meets Ultima Online and Project Gorgon is essentially Asheron's Call 3

I think you'll like those. I don't see Suncrusher coming out for a very long time unfortunately and the SWGEmu community is managed by 12 year olds (or grown men that act like 12 year olds)

Also if you don't mind going back to UO, Rel Por is a good option. It's completely custom.
>>
>>388256916
Was hoping to try the SWG emu seriously at some point. Had so much fun dicking around in that game when it was in good form. Is the official test center still the biggest population around?
>>
>>388260649
Yeah NovaTC is good but it's super bloated because they haven't wiped since it went live.

We were hoping they'd wipe with Village update. I'm just gonna wait for Suncrusher. Also there's also this game but I haven't followed it since it got bought out by the people who develop the engine they were using.
http://store.steampowered.com/app/322300/The_Repopulation/
>>
>>388260413
Is Aria going to be Pay to Own or will it have a subfee eventually?

I'm also sad to hear about manchildren ruining what should be one of the funnest things around.
>>
>>388256916
Ever try OSRS?
>>
>>388261001
LoA is buy2play, it used to be known as Shards Online but they rebranded. It's pretty good desu and I can't wait to see what people do with mod tools.
>>
>>388260649
Why would you play on the TC instead of Basilisk? Basilisk has 1022 online right now, and just got updated with the new publish.
>>
>>388261201
It looks pretty interesting, so I'll give it a look over this weekend along with some other options and see which works best.

>>388261385
As someone that never played the pre-NGE on SWG, would that server have good info on what roles to play and all that? Like I've been playing Wurm with some people on /v/ and joined their village, then became the arrow guy for awhile due to nobody filling that role. Is there a clear job to shoot for that's always in need, or just go for something like droid engineer or whatever else one wants to do?
>>
>>388262035
Dude, just do what you think sounds fun. Right now I have a toon with Pistoleer/Smuggler/BH, I'm also working on a Master Weaponsmith/Armorsmith.

Just goof around until you read about/find something you like. Look up guides if you want, or run into it blind like those of us who fell in love with it did. Nothing was more awesome to me than the first time I realized I could slice terminals for better cash rewards for my missions.
>>
>>388256916
I miss this game...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yatoqJqZseQ
>>
>>388262395
Just to be clear, there's a skill cap on the amount of points in SWG, as opposed to the games that let you level and master everything for playing forever, right?

Is it possible to respec, or are you stuck with your choices? Or does it not matter at the end of the day?
>>
>>388259459

>AO
>AC2
>DAoC
>Horizons
>SB
>SWG
>WW2O

The golden age of MMOs.

Shame about UO2, though ;_;
>>
File: 4TbX1GJ.png (24KB, 198x213px) Image search: [Google]
4TbX1GJ.png
24KB, 198x213px
>>388261201
LoA looks like hot garbage and the only people who seem to be playing it are deadbeat forum dads. Get the fuck outta here with this crap.

>b-but muh nostalgia bro!!
Look, I was there. I played UO too. That doesn't mean we should be half assedly recreating the goddamn game nearly 25 years later. These people who try to reconstruct what was good about UO but can't even get the basics right are shit. Don't promote these fucking swindlers anymore. I'm tired of every few years seeing a new UO clone pop up just for it to fall flat on it's face and then have to listen to everyone gush about how great things must have been in the 90s.
>>
>>388262791
What's your opinion on Darkfall Online post-Adventurine?
>>
>>388263441
Darkfall was such a mess that it's hard to remember exactly what version of the game I was playing for the longest. Overall I'd say that it was enjoyable at times, though. Small scale, open world PvP existed and it was meaningful. Working your way up through something like stamina was dumb, you'd just afk run into a wall, but other skills were good (ie, swing a sword and kill things and you get better at doing it). It had the opportunity to be fun, but was also flawed in a lot of ways. A lot of the mechanics in the game were implemented incredibly poorly, or sometimes not implemented at all and the game just had the feeling of being very amateur. It was far from being an objectively good video game.
>>
>>388256916
OSRS would apply, except the community is completely terrible

If you don't mind playing an MMO like a singleplayer game, you might enjoy it
>>
>>388261097
>>388265941
Never played Runescape before, but it doesn't sound that enjoyable these days due to things like rampant botting.

If I wanna play a single player MMO, I have FFXI & FFXIV to pick from, a long with a ton of failed modern MMOs that went F2P with cash shops and subs with bonuses in this day and age.

>>388265232
That's a shame to hear, as it seemed to have some potential hidden beneath all the Greek decisions that made it into a mess of a game. I read some fans bought the rights to it and was curious if it was finally shaping up to being something akin to old UO in a modern age, but sounds like its gonna be fucked no matter what.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.