[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What is something that you dislike about the Souls series?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 220
Thread images: 22

File: IMG_4643.jpg (478KB, 1920x1090px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4643.jpg
478KB, 1920x1090px
What is something that you dislike about the Souls series?
>>
Dark Souls 2
>>
>>388242024
The pvp in 3

The sheer volume of walking in 1

Weapon upgrades
>>
The +1 +2 etc. weapon upgrade system.

It's completely unnecessary and just means that you have to grind a bunch of titanite whenever you find a new weapon that you want to try out. They should've just scrapped the system altogether and just given weapons better scaling.
>>
>>388242024
The fans since the DS steamwork migration.
>>
no GFWL

>>388242278
Just invest souls into the weapon instead, or have it level by killing enemies with it
Something more interactive
>>
>>388242024
No way this is an actual line in the game
>>
>>388242024
The only good thing in these games are the architectures and the atmospheres
>>
>>388242510
>not the cloth physics
>>
shit controls
>>
i-frames

Apart from the fact that it just looks really stupid when you roll right through attacks but YOU CAN'T HIT ME! I'M ROLLING! it renders shields and blocking almost pointless. That's a lot of items and a well balanced mechanic in the game rendered useless by a single massively OP mechanic.
>>
>>388242024
The online in every game after DS1. The fact that all the bosses have become mostly the same now.
>>
>>388242024
Dark Souls 2 Baiting and Dark Souls 3.
>>
>>388242024
the fans
>>
>>388242024
I'm pretty sure that I got banned from DS1 and I don't know what the fuck I could have done to get banned. I've never taken anyone's items online, I've never messed around in the directory, and I've never cheated. Nonetheless I can't get invaded and I never see orange soapstones.
>>
>>388242024
how easy the combat is after your first playthrough of any of the games
>>
>>388242024
The controls. Mainly the input buffer. Also vanilla DaS2.
>>
The entirety of Dark Souls 3. I know sequels should take and build on what the previous games in the series did but Dark Souls 3 just shamelessly rehashes everything without making any improvements to mechanics while making others objectively worse. Fuck that game.
>>
dark souls 3 = style over substance
dark souls 2 = quantity over quality
dark souls 1 = _________________
>>
>>388243914
quality and style
>>
Fans post Dark Souls 1.
>>
File: 1501201586461.gif (85KB, 400x225px) Image search: [Google]
1501201586461.gif
85KB, 400x225px
I dont like that you only use one or two weapons ina whole playthough.

Upgrade material ist rare/limited or expensive,it would be not wise to use it on many weapons.

Buts thats pretty subjektiv.
>>
>>388243620
I disagree,
Ember system is new and better than before.

Covenants are easier to switch between and make for better multiplayer content (asides from broken blues and region protectors.

The arena is GREAT.

The bosses are the best they have ever been, their ai is actually difficult now, and the bosses are faster, a good build in ds3 doesnt trivialize the bosses like it does in ds1.

I agree that they didn't innovate a fuckton, but they modernized it all, especially enemy ai, hp, attacks, etc are A LOT BETTER, ds1 is a complete pushover if youve got a good build and are familiar with the souls series, ds3 is objrctively more challenging, less confusing and a whole lot more refined.
>>
>>388244287
There are like 15 slabs in a ds3 playthrough, the rest is infinite, you can literally +9 all the weapons and +10 15 of em, and thats without going into ng+
>>
Japan's general uninterest in clipping and accurate hitboxes, which is also a lot of the general issue people have with DS.
>>
Item placement being, usually, nonsense across every single title. Not every item is random but you have case after case where an "important" or interesting items like a unique weapon is five feet from the main track and going out of your way to explore to world and shit gives you LARGE SOUL of X or Coldblood or dropping onto a secret balcony of the dragon lord fagglegimp's castle and entering a secret cave and fighting to ultra ogres gives you a fucking homeward bone.
>>
>>388242024
The community.
>>
Drake and Josh, had to summon.
>>
>>388242024
Dark Souls 2 and the amount of faggots that gank in 3.
>>
Ds2 M+KB controls, respawn limit on enemies, horrendous lighting
Ds1 low boss hp, treacherous ng+ entry to blind playthroughers.
Ds3 blue covenants, weapon durability has no purpose, rolling needs recovery frames, too many bonfires

Backstabbing in pvp should be removed until they fix the netcode,
Did I mention the netcode?
The hackers
>>
>>388244915
>had to summon.
How many tries did you give it?
Drake and Josh just took patience like anything else.
Once you learned to zone drake, you could easily play around josh and get decent damage in.
>>
>>388242024
The graphics.
Should have gone for Unreal engine like the other japs.
>>
>>388243192
The games would be infinitely better if you couldn't chain rolls.
>>
>>388242128
when the first post is also the best post
>>
>>388242763
>not the sound design
>>
>>388242024
Everything.

Combat is lazy.

With exception to general equipment, there's no variety to everything else.

RPG elements are way too weak, i have seen hack and slash games with better RPG aspects.

Way too linear, exploration is just an ilusion, walking in circles is not good exploration people.

Lore is way too simplistic, divided in way more pieces than it should to make it sound interesting and deep.

Artificial difficulty.
>>
Covenants being poorly implemented, explained, and too often overlapping
>>
i hate that people think dark souls 3 bosses are good

almost every "straight fight" boss has attacks with deceptively fast or slow start ups designed to catch you out if you roll based purely on reaction, meaning the fights have to be played at least a few times for you to fully learn the bosses moveset

this results in bosses that are difficult to fight initially and feel like cheap gotchas but have all of the downsides of gimmick bosses in that they are never a challenge after you first fight them, because the entire gimmick of the fight is to fuck with your reaction times and force you to learn their movesets

literally the only thing dark souls 3 bosses have going for them is presentation and production values, and while that stuff does matter, it can't salvage them when the gameplay is so shallow and they're all so samey
>>
they listened to bamco and it did more harm than good
>>
>>388242128
/thread
>>
>>388245154
I can't remember, 30/40 tries... But something about this fight was to much for me. I was not able to handle one without the other one annoying me or attacking me from behind... I know that there are "harder" bosses in the series but for me it was the most difficult fight to deal with. dunno
>>
Shitty weapon upgrade system similiar to a grind fest MMO and too much walking simulator in Dark Souls 2
>>
>>388245381
>bosses designed to counter brainless rolling
>bad
(You)

They forced you to actually pay attention and time rolls instead of abusing blanket i-frames.
>>
File: gwyndolin.jpg (174KB, 670x900px) Image search: [Google]
gwyndolin.jpg
174KB, 670x900px
They killed the best NPC in the most gruesome way without offering the opportunity to save him somehow, regardless of how difficult, obscure and/or convoluted the quest would have been.

Fucking you From, fuck you for killing my husbando
>>
>>388242024
Not much but i bought a PS4 for Bloodborne and the 29.9fps stutter fuckin kills it. Refunded.
>>
>>388245815
>couldn't save Dancer and marry her instead of Anri
Yeah, I know. Hot dog in a hallway. But still.
>>
>>388243376
Get DSCM
>>
>>388242024
The fans and fan base.
>>
>>388245381
Delaying attacks are used in many games, chivalry etc, it adds depth.
Bosses in ds1 are complete pushovers due to their slow movesets, horrible ai and low hp. Ds2 was a clear step up, and ds3 was a clear step above that, champion gundyr is the height of dark souls boss fights.

Take your nostalgia goggles off, if you played ds3 first you would see how much it improved on bosses.
>>
>>388244358
>Ember system is new and better than before
rehash of demon soul's system
>Covenants are easier to switch between and make for better multiplayer content (asides from broken blues and region protectors
yeah they're great, except for the ones that don't work
>The arena is GREAT
Nothing special
>The bosses are the best they have ever been
Most are shameless rehashes
>their ai is actually difficult now
yeah, yhorm and Oceiros have great AIs
>and the bosses are faster
Not a good thing when the player character only moves slightly faster than they did in DS1, slow weapon builds are fucked against certain bosses
> a good build in ds3 doesnt trivialize the bosses like it does in ds1
Bullshit go do a bleed build
> but they modernized it all, especially enemy ai, hp, attacks, etc are A LOT BETTER, ds1 is a complete pushover if youve got a good build and are familiar with the souls series, ds3 is objrctively more challenging, less confusing and a whole lot more refined
Talking out your ass.
>>
>>388242024
Shitty controls. Whoever though binding Jump, Dodge, Run, and Backstep to a single button is a retard. It causes so much unneeded input lag, yet they've never even attempted to remedy it or make it better. Also putting Forward + Attack as a command that gives you virtually no forward momentum and in some cases causes you to step away from the enemy is also retard as fuck.

Add the shitty input queue system to that as well.
>>
Bloodborne Lamps not refreshing the area and refilling consumables from your inventory the way Bonfires did in Dark Souls.
>>
>>388242024
I dislike how after Dark Souls 1 they ditched the more non-linear world design for a more linear one. Dark Souls 2, BB and 3 are kind of a pain to replay because every run sees you through the same areas in the same order for the most part. If there was a certain item you wanted but the area was further in it would take longer to get to that item.
>>
>>388245718
but this game has cheaper rolls and more iframes than any game in the series so it rewards brainless rolling far more than any of the other games

>>388246104
dark souls 3 bosses are pathetically easy once you get their movesets down though

the only thing the delayed attacks add is that it makes the fights ridiculously tedious the first time you fight the boss, it's not actually hard once you know the moves

>b-but that's true in all the games

to give an example of what an actually good and challenging boss fight is like: even if you know both O&S attacks off by heart it wont help you much because the point of the fight is to pick the bosses apart to deal damage to them safely

even once you've beat o&s they can still be a difficult boss because it's a legitimately challenging fight, the same can't be said for any dark souls 3 boss because they're all built on this one idea of weird timings designed to catch you out

maybe delayed attacks add depth to other games but in dark souls 3 they're there to catch you out to live up the le dark souls is hard meme and they add nothing to the game
>>
>>388242024
The amount of warping to circumvent laziness.

>Cutscene that warps you to Dancer after a loading screen
>No interesting way to get the player there
>No effort at all to make it seamless
>Just takes you to a loading screen

>Magic campfire teleportation exists in the lore now but some NPCs are suffering when they can teleport to solve their problems
>>
>>388242024
the combat
>>
>>388247083
>All NPC's are the ashen one
>>
>>388244358
>The bosses are the best they have ever been
Most of DaS3's bosses are gimmicks and easily beaten if you don't suck. The Lords of Cinder are especially retarded, as there's so much build up to them and they're all pushovers, with Abyss Watchers being Parry/Backstabbed to death, Aldritch being hilariously weak to fire as he fumbles around casting useless spells, Yhorm being a complete gimmick, and Twin Princes being weak to the pillars in their own throne room.

>their ai is actually difficult now, and the bosses are faster
All they do is swing around and throw tantrums, which is resolved by simply spamming roll. They're only faster because the roll is so fucking broken.

>a good build in ds3 doesnt trivialize the bosses like it does in ds1.
kek
>>
3 being garbage
>>
>>388246348
Cant play bb and DeS so i cant argue 1
2 I agree, but without the sarcasm,
3 I think its great, except we need higher medals.
4 some are rehashes yes, but even then theyre way better, ai, hp and moveset wise.
5 yhorm is a bad gimmick fight and ocerios has no issues with its ai, its his enraged moveset and hitbox that needs fixing.
6 played with UGS all my life and had no problems.
7 thx I'll have to give it a go.
8 I'm not talking our of my ass, go fight easy to win gwyn and then SoC. Or fight lava spider bitch and then the champ, you'll see how much easier ds1 is.
>>
>>388245317
(((REDDIT SPACING)))
>>
I finally convinced myself to beat Dark Souls 2 after all the recent posts on here claiming it was underrated/how much SOTFS fixed it. I dropped it around Iron Keep at release and tried and failed to get back into it a few times since.

It actually felt a little better than I remember mechanically, but literally every level in the entire game felt bland and uninspired. Never once had the urge to do more than sprint to the boss door, and maybe 3 or 4 bosses (enemies in general, really) out of the game were actually fun to fight. First time I've beaten a game in years where I honestly just felt like I had wasted my time.
>>
>>388247458
>DeS
if you have a decent pc you can
>>
>>388247045
>get smaugh stuck on a pillar, let ornstein rush at you
> 4 hit him
>phase 2
>get smaugh stuck on a pillar again
>win
your nostalgia is showing.
>>
>>388247458
>go fight easy to win gwyn and then SoC. Or fight lava spider bitch and then the champ, you'll see how much easier ds1 is
Yeah, after that I'll go fight the Abyss Jobbers of no poise before having a leisurely stroll to the plunging attack Wyvern.
>>
>>388242024
The second and third game
>>
whatever made them phone in the second game.
>>
the fanbase
>>
DaS2 is literally an unplayable mess unless you waste like 20 levels pumping an otherwise useless stat to get a roll where the timing makes sense and shitty hitboxes are somewhat mitigated.
>>
>>388242128
fpbp
>>
>>388247649
I should yeah
>>388247693
Most discussions over what souls games have the best bosses result in people naming the gimmick bosses of the game they try to roast, no one thinks wyvern is bad. And yeah abysd watchers have no poise but they're a decent shittest for newbs stuck in the swamp.
>>
>>388242024
Focus on rolling
Community AND devs consider rolling as ultimate skill, even though it is just glorified qte
>>
>>388247660
epic post

what is the difference between fighting nameless king, dancer, vortd, gael, soul of cinder, champion gundyr or pontiff? gameplay wise how are they different from eachother?
>>
>>388248043
>no one thinks wyvern is bad
This is the biggest load of horse shit I've seen written about Dark souls 3. He's considered to be one of the worst fucking bosses in the series, he goes beyond the concept of gimmicks.
>>
>>388242024
Respawning enemies. But they obviously respawn so you can grind, so whatever. I don't even like these games that much anyway.
>>
>>388244358
>ds3 is objrctively more challenging, less confusing and a whole lot more refined.
DaS3 is the easiest by far, which is why most people like it. You can sanic roll virtually everything in the game, estus is instant, and the parry window is huge and easy to time.

>less confusing
What the hell is confusing about the other four games, exactly?

>a whole lot more refined
Stamina management is gone, stats are dumbed down for min/maxxing quality builds, useless stats like poise, nonsensical shit like being able to block lava, fire, and poison that you're standing in, tediously linear story progression, a complete lack of fashion/useful armor in general, and weapon arts being useless 90% of the time.

So yeah. "Refined".
>>
>>388247381
Gimmick bosses that we all loathe aside ( I hate them just as much as you do)
Most firsttimers can't/dont parry and backstab watchers. Aldrich his arrow attack IS incredibly lethal.
Any no hitter will tell you to stay away from the pillars during princes as they make the movement less consistent, whilst smaugh is a joke if u use the pillars.
>>
>>388245381
>meaning the fights have to be played at least a few times for you to fully learn the bosses moveset
Or you could just not glue yourself to the enemy and make risky reads before learning the fight. Reaction rolling isn't playing the game well; it's reducing it to DDR. Feints and tempo changes are an actual thing in any sort of organized fighting and, at higher levels, are probably the majority of what you're doing. You don't cry to someone for being mean and "deceptive" if you get hit as a result. You acknowledge that you're an idiot for not preparing properly.
>>
>>388247381
>All they do is swing around and throw tantrums, which is resolved by simply spamming roll. They're only faster because the roll is so fucking broken.
I agree that roll should be nerfed with more stamina cost and recovery frames, said so myself ITT. Only boss that does tantrums is oceiros, I think.
>>
>>388242024
The way some other games still try to copy it instead of trying something new or different.
>>
>>388248710
you don't roll through someone's sword in a real fight either lol
>>
>>388242024
How the games got progressively worse with each sequel.

The combat by dark souls 3 just degenerated into who can spam r1 faster.
>>
>>388247918
>20
15 adp is enough to get you through the game.
that's what i always use as the bare minimum anyways.
>>
>>388248226
I meant isn't, sorry am phoneposting, we all hate wyvern.

>>388248101
Common theme is knights with swords or halberda among those yeah, but some have multiple phases with different movesets anf others us very different attacks, both ds2 and ds3 have a lot of knights yeah, but I think most of them are objectively challenging to fight, could be more diverse yeah.
>>
>>388243192
Bloodborne got it right. Removes fag ass shields entirely aside from one joke shield and a magic protector, and pump up the aggression.
>>
>>388247542
>(((jew parenthesis))) on a post that has nothing to do with them
you have to go back..
>>
>>388248896
Well yeah, it's a game at the end of the day. Always going to be a mixture of real principles and wacky game shit. You can look at fighting games as an example instead if you prefer.
>>
>>388247918
false, most classes start with 9 iframes, basically a DS1 midroll
Then you need to increase ADP like 5-6 times to get it to 11 and you're close to fastroll.
You only "need" 20 ADP for 150+ SL pvp.
>>
>>388248460
>Most firsttimers can't/dont parry and backstab watchers.
True, but it's the first thing I try on every boss. So they were a joke.

>Aldrich his arrow attack IS incredibly lethal.
Who stands still for that though? It's so easy to outrun.

>Any no hitter will tell you to stay away from the pillars during princes as they make the movement less consistent
Meh. They were my favorite of the four just because they actually did something, maybe this is the only reason why.

>>388248728
Dancer and Pontiff flail their weapons like fat kids with light sabers, Dark Eater Midir swipes all over the place without aiming, Vordt is so overly aggressive that he's hilariously easy, and Nameless King is basically a the Drakekeeper with the Greathammer from DaS2.

The bosses are the weakest part about DaS3, with only Gael, Nameless King, and Friede being good fights. Everything else is either really bad or a bad gimmick.

>>388247918
DaS2 rewards timing rolls more than any other Souls game, which is the one thing it did right from a gameplay perspective. This is why /v/ bitches about it so much, because you don't get half a second of invulnerability right off the bat like in the other two.

You also get way more fucking souls in DaS2 than any other entry, meaning that pumping "20 levels" into an "otherwise useless stat" doesn't impact your build.
>>
(((>>388249290)))
>>
>>388249591
>You also get way more fucking souls in DaS2 than any other entry

You don't get more souls, levels just cost less.
Getting to SL120 in DS2 costs around the same total amount of souls as getting SL80 in DS1/3.
>>
>>388242024
magic is clunky as fuck
>>
>>388248320

>DaS3 is the easiest by far, which is why most people like it. You can sanic roll virtually everything in the game, estus is instant, and the parry window is huge and easy to time.
Disagree, rolling is too good yeah, estus aint instant, the issue is that u can move away whilst u do it and roll very shortly after, parrying is a gimmick most players dont use, is irrelevant in most pve and adds more depth to pvp.
>What the hell is confusing about the other four games, exactly?
>only played ds1,2, and 3 but the ds1 auto ng+ is confusing and offputting as hell, effigies in ds2 offline are too.

>Stamina management is gone, stats are dumbed down for min/maxxing quality builds, useless stats like poise, nonsensical shit like being able to block lava, fire, and poison that you're standing in, tediously linear story progression, a complete lack of fashion/useful armor in general, and weapon arts being useless 90% of the time.
>stamina management isnt gone, try using a fugs. Dont know what u mean by dumbed down stats, I use and love poise, i know how it changed and I agree with the decision. The blocking thing is BS yeh, game could be less linear yeah, one of my main complaints as well. A decrease in eccentric armor is better for pvp because otherwise you'll have people hotswitching armor for resistance. And weapon arts are indeed usually too slow for the rollfest. But not useless
>So yeah. "Refined".
Kinda yeh
>>
>>388242024
The fans AND the haters. Haters more than fans though because they always spout literal bullshit. I normally don't even open souls threads anymore because I know that would mean reading a ton of incomprehensible garbage, fallacies and lies and this thread proves me right.
>>
>>388242024
That it wallows in the success of Dark Souls 1 and doesn't really try to improve.
>>
>>388245249
this
and to compensate for no roll spam they couldve made weapon blocking actually useful
>>
>>388242278
>grinding for titanite

LOL
>>
>>388249034
>t. never fucking played dark souls 1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g6-EQadT8YM

You and all other faggots who keep praising dark souls 1 as the masterpiece and say sequels are garbage should fucking kill yourselves.
>>
>>388249893
>You don't get more souls
You get way more fucking Souls in DaS2 than any other Souls game.

>Asylum Demon - 2,000
>Taurus Demon - 3,000
>5,000

>Pursuer - 17,000
>Last Giant - 10,000
>27,000

>Vordt - 3,000
>Greatwood - 7,000
>10,000
>>
>>388242024
The combat. It is so atrociously slow and clunky. Rolling around to not get hit is just so comically out of place. The way the character swings a sword around like some autist with retard strength. Everything about is just terrible, especially coming from Nioh.
>>
>>388243914
Great world and fucked-up combat that rivals the worst in the series.
>>
>>388249034
Dark Souls 1 had infinites up the ass and poise. Walking up to shit in Dark Souls and mashing R1 was literally the skillcap.
>>
>>388242024
poison and toxic
>>
>>388242278
I've never been in the situation to grind a lot of titanite to level up a weapon. I get your point, but withouth the weapon levelling system the possibilities of runs in Dark Souls would be minimal. For example, trying to do a SL1 run without the system would be almost impossible.

>>388242024

I, myself, dislike the minimal build options in DS3, and while DS2 has the best PVP the PvE feels like a shore.
>>
>>388242128
first post duck post
as always
>>
>>388244358
The ember system would be better if it worked as humanity. Meaning that also summons and dark spirits should use it when invading or doing coo-op, making invasions more fair.
>>
File: 36826866-duck.jpg (134KB, 960x720px) Image search: [Google]
36826866-duck.jpg
134KB, 960x720px
>>388254573
?
>>
>>388244358
>a good build in ds3 doesnt trivialize the bosses like it does in ds1.
You can nobrain through EVERY boss in game except M'dear by equipping vordt hammer and spamming r1, and using WA when you need to facetank for heals or startup frames. It's completely trivial.
>>
>>388242496
It is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nt5Q9hu0h0s
>>
>>388254836
get the FUCK out duck scum fucker
migrate back to the south already you BITCH
>>
>>388242024
DkS1, because it runs shit and you can't even play it with mouse/keyboard...
>>
>>388242024
hitboxes, combat flashiness/aesthetic is placed over actual functionality, and there is so much shit that just isnt designed well/implemented well
>>
File: 1969657.jpg (91KB, 1024x640px) Image search: [Google]
1969657.jpg
91KB, 1024x640px
>>388255085
!!!
>>
>>388242024
The fact that people think it's a hard franchise. Can't parry a boss' attacks? Just level up your health until you can facetank or it wear heavy enough armor for it to not matter.
>>
File: lost sinner.jpg (270KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
lost sinner.jpg
270KB, 1920x1080px
>>388255327
Try to parry me, fuccboi
>>
>>388242496
I thought it was a pretty awesome title drop, especially for the end of the game and entire series. Doubly so for being said by the penultimate final boss
>>
>>388255216
okay. that's it bud, now it's time to get your ass kicked!

>>388255586
how does it feel being the living embodiment of, "low hanging fruit"?
>>
File: doggie_dragon.jpg (72KB, 508x408px) Image search: [Google]
doggie_dragon.jpg
72KB, 508x408px
>>388242496
Ignorant slave. Finally taken notice, have you?
>>
>>388255327
>facetanking
every time.
i hate that people condone that as a valid tactic instead of just learning and getting better.
>>
File: 1426090923196.jpg (56KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
1426090923196.jpg
56KB, 500x500px
>>388255586
The title drop meme is turning into one of those things that's losing its meaning. When the title of something is the focus of something in the actual story it doesn't really work that way. Like Blade in the movie Blade, is he a title drop? Is the Dark Crystal in Dark Crystal a title drop?
>>
>>388245072
> M+KB
wait you actually did that?
>>
>>388242024
how "souls-like" is a fucking thing now, and how dark souls as a whole has broken down in to some normie cesspit as it's the "hardest game evar omg"
>>
>>388242024
Pretentious "deep" lore. Bad worldbuilding in general
>>
>>388242024
the entrance to the great hollow.

only a fucking monster does a double invisible wall.
>>
pre nerf console version shrine of amana in das 2 was cancer incarnate
>>
File: 1503700983124.jpg (4KB, 207x244px) Image search: [Google]
1503700983124.jpg
4KB, 207x244px
>>388259696
holy fucking shit i remember getting buttraped from those fucking mages, enemy placement was so shit in das 2 and anyone defending that fuckery is a retard
>>
>>388259901
And it somehow managed to get worse in some areas for SOTFS.
>>
File: ftZZ0s8.png (442KB, 550x720px) Image search: [Google]
ftZZ0s8.png
442KB, 550x720px
>>388260839
B team
>>
>>388255586
they dropped the title way too often in the dlc

would've worked better if gael saying it was the only instance
>>
>>388247381
>>388248320
After playing DS3, I finally got to play BB and it was a real deception. We can't go back to bosses with only one poor moveset. Fighting Cleric Beast, Amelia, Rom, Micolash, blood starved beast, one reborn,Mergo's wet nurse was just sad, because none of these bosses are even responsive. Their piss poor movesets and awkwardly balanced by the damage they can do if you're underleveled and if you are even slightly over the level meant for the area you completely break the game. Also the HP pools are nonsensical.

BB's balance is a complete mess which puts me off and I'm pretty sure I won't do more than 2-3 characters. When you compare BB's bosses to Twin princes, Dragonslayer armour, pontiff, dancer,( even vordt), champ, nameless king and watchers, the lack of reaction from the bosses is just baffling with BB. I can't reliably dodge all the moves, of dancer, while I just get bored half way in a fight against a BSB or a variation.

The only bosses worth something in the base game were Logarius, pthumerian descendant and elder. The rest is just meh or bad, lasting only because of their HP pools instead of fair challenge.
>>
>>388246707
Yeah I don't know why the lamps were so strangely designed, they felt like the ideas for bonfires From had before implementing them to be a little more user friendly to the player.

Maybe it was for atmospheric reasons, but it was kind of a pain to always have to teleport back to the Hunter's Nightmare to then teleport to another lantern.

>>388246881
I thought DS2 had some non-linearity in that you had multiple paths to take at the start and you could get the 4 lord-souls in any order you wanted. I think the main issue is that the paths mostly just lead to dead ends down the line and don't loop back into anywhere else.
>>
File: 1472576909055.jpg (11KB, 340x389px) Image search: [Google]
1472576909055.jpg
11KB, 340x389px
>>388242024
>Slow Pacing
>Repetitive Combat
>Dodging being the best form of damage mitigation making armor useless
>Games still looking like ass despite having 4 very successful sequels beforehand
>Enemy progression just has enemies get bigger and take up more of the screen rather than have you fight more enemies at once, further forcing you to rely on dodge rolls for DM rather than armor or blocking

That's just what I remember from playing Dark Souls way back when, I don't think the game is terrible but I feel people overlook the issues with these games just because they're challenging
>>
>>388242024
The lagstabbing in DS2 was atrocious if you didn't use backstab-proof chest pieces, but the worst thing is that there's no Boss Rush. We should be able to sit at the hub world bonfire and start fights with any boss we've already beaten instead of having to complete the entire game again, just to be able to kill a boss once before having to go through another playthrough if we want another chance.
>>
>>388262630
I thought BB had some of the best bosses in souls. What do you mean by responsive? Most of the large BB bosses are easier when you actually get in their grill, and the hunter bosses are awesome - Gherman, Maria and Gascoigne were the shit.
>>
>>388265272
Gherman Maria and Gasoigne are all humanoid, and Gascoigne is extremely similar to a basic NPC or a player, it is only different in the last phase. Gascoigne is the boss with the most moves in the entire game because of his 3 phases fight.

Gherman has a few good ideas, but it wasn't memorable for me as I killed him on my first try. I was fed up with the game, and I just stomped him and the moon presence after that. I didn't play the DLC but I know what to expect with Maria and she may be the best boss of the game.

I don't like humanoid bosses because they mostly show off the moves tied to their weapons, instead of being really surprising. But hey, Gehrman and Maria have anime moves, so that's still better than nothing.

BB bosses lack interesting fight mechanics like the twin princes teleportation, the dragonslayer armour's allies, the friendly abyss watcher, the pontif's stand, the unexpectedly slow dancer who has quick swift moves, the champ's perfect martial art combo and his helberd, Soul of Cynder's multiple mimic builds, etc...

BB in its base game completely lacks the wow effect and the gameplay mechanic you have to adapt to. I'm not talking of gimmicks here.

But it gets better in BB's DLC, with Ludwig, orphan and Maria
>>
>>388266676
Gundyr and Soul of Cinder fit into being humanoid enemies with that just show off moves tied to their weapons. I mean Soul of Cinder is literally a mix up of possible player movesets. Dragonslayer armor's butterfly friends are an annoyance, the friendly Abyss Watcher makes the fight easier, and Pontiff's clone is very easy to take out. I agree on the twins and dancer though.

Though if you do play the DLC, I think Orphan will be up your ally. I consider him a good balance between the hunter boss fights and the more beastly/alien ones.
>>
>>388264146
Bonfire Ascetic.
>>
>>388267551
Gundyr is nothing like a NPC/player character. He has his own unique moveset full of combos and chain attack. You just can't do anything that looks like what he does excepting for the weapon art tied to his halberd, anything else is completely fresh.

Soul of Cinder has 6 different movesets for his first phase (which aren't exact copies of what the player can do), and forces you to adapt. That's quite great actually and it's the only way to avoid redundancy or making it look like a lazzy move.

When I mean humanoid, I mean Micolash tier bosses are the worst. Gehrman and Mario are ok, but only because of their unique signature moves.

I wish the beasts had been more different and Mergo's wet nurse not just a monster wandering almost aimlessly.
>>
>>388268717
As much as I love the idea behind Soul of Cinder, all of his first phase moves are something you should be used to from normal players or NPC type enemies so it is a bit redundant. His second phase is an upgraded Gwyn, which is nice, but he only has a couple of new moves, one being a juggle that's kind of bullshit to get hit by but entirely avoidable.

Also I dunno how fast you killed Mergo, but she clones herself and starts to make the stage darker while her clone is out so it's hard to track her when she teleports. I think that doesn't always trigger for some reason which is lame.
>>
>>388268717
>Gehrman and Mario are ok, but only because of their unique signature moves.
Also this sort of applies with Gundyr which is what I was getting at. I'm pretty sure Gehrman has entirely unique movesets tied to his own Burial Blade compared to the one you get. He can just transform it on the fly and do gun parries on you like a player on top of that.
>>
The increased focus on difficulty as the series went on, as evidenced by boss and health bloat.
>>
>>388243371
underrated post
>>
>>388269164
Even with the cloning move, it was still a deception. It doesn't have any reach, it mostly punishes you after attacking her. It wasn't fast, and I don't understand why she had such a big arena for what she does. She doesn't clone herself before having lost half of HP right?

I can understand of SoC, but knowing it can beat you up with 6 different moves is pretty cool nonetheless. It's a boss you can't get bored of and that's pretty much why I also love dancer so much.
>>
>>388245815
for a moment there I thought you were talking about diablo 3 and deckard cain
>>
File: 1499997096034.png (465KB, 500x378px) Image search: [Google]
1499997096034.png
465KB, 500x378px
>>388242024
>hand it over, that thing, your Dark Soulsâ„¢ III: The Fire Fadesâ„¢ Edition, featuring Dark Soulsâ„¢ III: Ashes of Ariandelâ„¢ Downloadable Content and Dark Soulsâ„¢ III: The Ringed Cityâ„¢ Downloadable Content.
>>
>>388242024

That droprates exist at all. Every item should come from a guaranteed single-time drop, chest/corpse, or merchant.

I'm not a fan of backstabs/ripostes, especially with bigger weapons. I understand why you're invincible during the animation, but the animation is so long that it becomes very noticeable. I think both types should be restricted to special kinds of weapons. Parries are fine, but the reward for a parry should just be a free hit, not some dumb elaborate, easily exploitable animation. Bloodborne probably has my favorite backstabs.

Parries should be somewhat dependent on weapon size vs. shield size. You should not be able to parry a giant boss, or a greataxe, with a caestus. Small shields can parry small weapons, medium shields can parry medium weapons. Giant weapons should generally be avoided, but I think it'd be fun if greatshields had some kind of slow parry specifically for parrying giant boss weapons. Not a very viable strategy, but more of a fun trick for someone who really has their timings down.

I don't like the reuse of NPCs. Not like Gwyndolin showing up in DaS3, or Gilligan making a cameo, more like Andre being back, or Siegmeyer being replaced with Siegward. Except Patches.

Greatshields trivialize the game a bit too much. I think they should have a variety of disadvantages to match their absurd stability and damage absorption, like a slower amount of time to raise/lower them (with slowed stamina regen beginning the moment you raise it, and not ending until it's fully down), lower movement speed with them raised, and a stamina cost just for raising the shield (Or possibly even a constant stamina drain while it's raised).

I think hybrid weapons are woefully underpowered. It something can cast miracles and sorceries, for some reason it's a shitty catalyst and a shitty talisman. If a sword lets you cast sorceries, it's a shitty sword and a shitty catalyst. You'd always be better off with the separate weapons.
>>
>>388242024
It's not really a complaint, but it feels like combat could be integrated better with RPG mechanics. Leveling up should not only unlock stronger weapons with new movesets, but new movesets for already existing weapons. but I really just want a diablo/dark souls fusion not nioh
>>
>>388259696
can someone source me on this? i see it here a lot
>>
>>388268717
Soul of Cinder only has 4 movesets in his first phase
-Greatsword which he always starts with
-Sorcery
-Spear and Miracles
-Curved Sword and Pyromancy
>>
>>388267861
Which doesn't exist in DS3.
>>
>>388272143
That manga is Berserk. It's photoshopped to parody Ludwig from Bloodborne.
>>
File: 1478652088135.png (181KB, 272x338px) Image search: [Google]
1478652088135.png
181KB, 272x338px
LOST IZALITH
BED OF CHAOS
FUCK
>>
The drop rate of gear. Armor and weapons you don't already have should have a way higher drop chance so I don't ahve to farm fucking 5 hours for a pair of rotting shoes.
>>
>>388255553
>parrying in 2
Why when rolling is more efficient to do since the windows are fucked.
>>
>>388268717
>Soul of Cinder has 6 different movesets for his first phase (which aren't exact copies of what the player can do), and forces you to adapt.
Soul of Cinder doesn't force you to do anything. He dies about 30 seconds after he pulls the sword from the bonfire.
>>
>>388274186
I played and beat prepatch Dark Souls. Fuck that noise ever again.
>>
>>388242024
DS2 in it's entirety and how DS3 went for the decay and dark/weird shit route. DS1 had a much better dark fantasy setting.
>>
>>388274512
>since the windows are fucked
Wow, you "people" will just make up any bullshit non-reason to hate on DaS2 due to your own ineptitude.
>>
>>388243481
This. Dark Souls is my favorite game of all time, but one thing i don't like about the series is how trivial it gets once learn how to roll properly.
>>
I hate how the move set of some weapons is completely retarded and manage to not hit anything point blank, or cannot hit anything small.

On a similar not I hate how your characters doesn't react correctly to almost everything. Like when you're trying to swing a sword in a small hallway and the swing movement is too large so no matter what you just end up bouncing back on the wall.
>>
>>388242024
The fan base for one, I think the whole idea of this game being hardcore has attracted a whole plethora of autists who argue over everything. The games aren't even that difficult, people suck their own dicks for simply completing it.
>>
>>388270728
you can have it gael, I beat it once and I'm already done
>>
Trial and error gameplay
Farming for healing items
Fanbase

t. Only played demon souls and I did it in like 2009
>>
The latency in online play.
>>
>>388244358
you sound like a newfag
>Ember system is new and better than before
it's a casulized version of the one from DeS and DkS2.
>Covenants are easier to switch between and make for better multiplayer content (asides from broken blues and region protectors
Covenants are fucking meaningless in this game, and the fact that you can switch between them just like that further proves this, in the previous games they were a commitment.
>The arena is GREAT
fuck that menu-driven shit
>The bosses are the best they have ever been, their ai is actually difficult now, and the bosses are faster, a good build in ds3 doesn't trivialize the bosses like it does in ds1.
a fraction of the bosses are god-tier i'll give you that, but most of them are easy trash.
>>
bad matchmaking, or just a lack thereof
>>
the AI in every souls game is worse than generation 1 monster hunter
>>
>>388242024
how grim and dull everything is
>>
Mostly I hate autists who play the games for 2000 hours each and learn to exploit every single mechanics then act like every newbie should be as good as them.
>>
>>388275237
>Trial and error gameplay

As opposed to what?
>>
>>388242024
How everyone thinks it's the best game ever
>>
>>388247083
man you would love Bloodborne, the entire second half of that game is a linear loading screen-fest
>Byrgenwerth -> loading screen ->Yarghul -> loading screen -> College Building -> loading screen -> Nightmare of Mensis -> loading screen -> Hunter's Dream
>>
>>388242024
all of Dark souls 3
>>
>>388276232
Bloodborne's dream areas are hot garbage.
>>
>>388242024
A game made to be challenging and engaging, with an interesting story and setting is not the same as a game that is made only to be difficult

Dark Souls is the latter

It's artstyle and world is engaging but its story while in a whole sense interesting I suppose is too sparse and devoid of engagement

Simply put the game is not "challenging" it is "difficult". A challenge is taking every aspect of a game and pitting various scenarios to gauge your skill and make use of the abilities you've acquired throughout and upto a point. Dark Souls takes every aspect of its gameplay and puts into it the most difficult parameters it can muster simply to be some kind of circlejerk pedigree of a game rather than one thats fun and enjoyable. Any game where they encourage repetition to becoming so well informed of the pitfalls and traps and i frame timings to be able to skillfully play is not a challenge but a game made for people who like to be frustrated.

Now that in its own right can be appealing given the reward you can get out of the game or how enjoyable/simple the controls are, but the sparse story and lack of fun involved in playing the game outright simply turns the whole experience into a chore
>>
>>388242024
Reading complains about trial and error.
Its not even that harsh and people keep shitting on the game for not letting them win.
>>
>>388276726
Trial and error is fine so long as you enjoy going through it
>>
>>388276606
t.plotfag
>>
>>388276606
You're saying a whole lot of nothing if you're not going to list specifics. How do these games not get you to make use of the abilities you've acquired along the way? You start to be cautious and take your time to look for tells for traps or ambushes, you learn to manage your stamina and to time your dodges or blocks appropriately, and you even learn how to parry which can benefit against certain bosses and enemies. You use the tools you're given to overcome the scenarios that are put forth in the form of new areas and boss fights. I really don't understand what the hell you're trying to say?
>>
File: 692.png (398KB, 960x554px) Image search: [Google]
692.png
398KB, 960x554px
>>388255586
>>388256102

Didn't buy the dlc. Who the fuck is this faggot and what is his deal? Don't point me towards a video just explain it like im a toddler.
>>
>>388242024
Coop isnt seamless and the game sections it off. I want my buddy as more of a permanent thing.
>>
>>388278503
No. Neck yourself faggot.
>>
>>388278503
He's gathering back all the fragments of the original dark soul to serve as a paint to create a new world. When you fight him you are at the end of the world and time, there's only you and him left, and he wants your fragment to finally complete it.
>>
>>388242024
lack of evolving moveset as you level up.
If you pick a sword at level 1, your moveset will remain the exact same all the way to max level.
I think this is a bad way of using RPG mechanics in an action game.

Level up mechanics in an action should change the gameplay as you specialize in your chosen playstyle, not just change how much damage you do or how many hits you can take.
>>
>>388278503
Some anime faggot who isn't relevant at all and has a fight that is composed pretty much entirely of hamfisted Berserk references.
>>
>>388279046
You'll make a great mommy one day with that spoon-feeding.
>>
They never explain what 1 soul is. In fact, as far as I know, nothing in all the games has just a single soul.
>>
File: 1502453199635.jpg (60KB, 720x870px) Image search: [Google]
1502453199635.jpg
60KB, 720x870px
>>388279437
Just because it's /v/ doesn't mean you have to be a raging faggot...

kek
>>
>>388279594
Things have multiple souls if they've collected them from either finding or killing others, right?
>>
too hard
>>
>>388242024
There are too many weapons. Bloodborne was a breath of fresh air and that was largely due to the fact that every weapon was absolutely distinct in every regard. Going ahead to DS3 and having sixteen different identical longswords for the third time just made me appreciate Bloodborne even more.
>>
>>388279046
>Give it here, that thing.
>Your Dark Souls III: the Fire Fades Editionâ„¢
>>
>>388279594
Dark Souls 2 explains that Souls give you power. The more you have, the more powerful your soul becomes.

If it's powerful enough you can build entire kingdoms with your soul.
>>
>>388250483
>>he doesn't have a huge collection of dumb meme weapons like the trident fully upgraded to fuck with people in invasions

Maxing every boss weapon alone will require a fair bit of grinding/multiple New Game runs in 3 to get enough slabs
>>
>>388242024
DaS2 & 3 didn't copy DaS1's world design. Undeadburg and its interconnectedness was a solid 10/10 in terms of video game world design.
>>
>>388280149
There are 10+ slabs per cycle, not counting cheaters. You can upgrade anything you want.
>>
>>388280101
b-b-b-but dark souls 2 isn't canon!!! and drunpf isn't my president!!!!
>>
>>388279685
Thanks for the (You), cocksucker :^)
>>
>>388280402
Do people actually argue that DaS2 isn't canon?
>>
>>388280101
What happens when people have kids, does the baby leech off their parents' soul power until it kills something else with a soul? Are souls renewable or is there a finite number in the world? Can I literally farm souls?
>>
>>388280590
I've seen it many times, only here on /v/eddit though of course.
It's always fun showing them the vast amount of shit from 2 that was reused in 3
>>
File: LaddersmithGilligan.jpg (338KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
LaddersmithGilligan.jpg
338KB, 1920x1080px
>>388280590
Retards, yes. But that stance gained a lot more credibility when 3 is basically non-stop 1 fanservice. References to 2 are basically limited to a handful of items/armor sets, maybe an invader or two, and the faggot in pic-related.
>>
>>388281429
>handful of armor sets and items
more like ~1/3 of 3's content is from 2
also you forgot that you literally walk on the ruins of Earthen Peak. and that's not just fanwank speculation, it just is Earthen Peak with a bunch of the shit from Earthen Peak there as well
>>
File: 1478629725849.jpg (112KB, 500x330px) Image search: [Google]
1478629725849.jpg
112KB, 500x330px
>>388280079
I'd pay $60 for it.
>>
File: 1501694797921.webm (3MB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
1501694797921.webm
3MB, 1280x720px
>>388242024
That they rush the games out without finishing them
>>
>inb4 "DUHH DARK SOULS 2!!!"
>>
>>388242024
What the fanbase turned into post-DeS.
>>
>>388281708
Ringed City in general has a ton of referenced to DaS2.

>Ruined Sentinels were sent by Vendrick and Aldia to the Ringed City to find the Dark Soul, but never returned.
>Aforementioned Earthen Peak stuff
>Desert Sorceress Zoey/Desert Sorceress Set
>Flame Fan
>Poison Horn Beetles
>>
File: FireSword+10.webm (1MB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
FireSword+10.webm
1MB, 1280x720px
>he doesn't main fire weapons

Explain yourself.
>>
>>388242024
level design got worse over time and caused retarded gaijin to miss the entire point of souls games
>>
>>388284847
Level design was never something to write home about. It's good in a few places across the entire series, but otherwise it's on par with games like OoT.
>>
>>388242024
Mod incompatibility, apart from reskins
>>
>>388242024
The character motion. I feel that making areas difficult to traverse is the most artificially difficult concept in the game. Bloodborne is the only one in that series that isn't too cruel with the puzzles aside from the broken support beams leading to the fire demon
>>
>>388245251
>>388245501
>>388247929
Every Souls game ever has had really noticeable issues but the only one people seem to want to openly shit on is DS2. Why is that?
>>
>>388281429
>>388280590
>canon
I don't think canon matters when DS3 took everything that ever built up and threw it out the window to focus on some painting and literally who's that were introduced in the DLC
>>
>>388282365
These are the enemies that CARRIED me with invasions.
>>
The post-PC release fan base.

As soon as DaS came out on PC August 2012, the fan base almost instantaneously turned to shit.
>>
File: high lord wolnir.png (444KB, 1275x713px) Image search: [Google]
high lord wolnir.png
444KB, 1275x713px
>>388242024
We never saw the primordial serpents again
>>
>>388274098
Which is a huge mistake on From's part. Bonfire Ascetic should be in every game.
>>
>>388242024

Boss patterns devolve into wide attack arcs, berserker rages and AOE spam way too fucking often. I mean, the series doesn't really have the mechanical finesse to handle something more intricate than that but it's a clear indicator of the limitations of this series.
Thread posts: 220
Thread images: 22

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.