[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

PS4 Hard Drive Question

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 1

File: IMG_2030.png (371KB, 1884x964px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2030.png
371KB, 1884x964px
Alright /v/, I'm looking to upgrade the storage on my ps4 since I'm about at the 500GB limit. My question is should I go for an external drive like
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01LQQHF2W?th=1&psc=1
Or should I make a 1TB SSD 7200 rpm into an external drive with a case?
The only benefit to SSD I've found is that it has slightly faster load times.
>>
You can do that? Just connect an external HD with a USB?
>>
>>388214279
>1TB SSD 7200 rpm
?
SSD is always better. If you have money buy SSD only not hybrids. A 1TB portable from WD is fine. if you find Toshiba or Hitachi even better
7200rpm
http://www.touropro.com/en/product/touro-mobile-pro/index.html
>>
>>388214618
Yep, came out in a recent software update.
>>
>>388214279
>SSD
Pointless regardless of internal or external
Get the biggest thing you can for the cheapest.
Recently there were 4TB drives for $200.
>>
>>388214279
>>388214982
Wait what do you mean bro?
Like they added support for external hard drives?
Like I just connect with a USB?
For real?
>>
>>388214792
This is the one I was considering
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0088PUEPK/ref=mp_s_a_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1503674612&sr=8-9&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=hard+drive+7200+rpm&dpPl=1&dpID=51XhC3svDkL&ref=plSrch
Can I just slap this in a case and use it as an external hard drive? Sorry I'm new to this shit. Ps4 is supposed to handle all the formatting.
>>
>>388215165
Yeah no problem.
>>
>>388215091
Yea man, it was in update 4.5 I think. The ps4 itself is supposed to handle the formatting. The only thing you can't ransefer to the external drive is save data, but you can install games on it easy peasy.
>>
>>388215165
What kind of case would you need? This intrigues me.
>>
>>388215404
A HDD box
>>
>>388215251
Cool thanks bud. I guess it just depends if I really need that extra TB of storage. Couldn't find a cheap 2tb 7200 rpm from Western Digital, also heard Seagate is faulty.
>>
Also interested in doing this but i dont want to lose my PT demo
>>
>>388215521
You missed the cheap 4TB Reds.
>Seagate meme
Mine is 4 years old and it's perfectly fine.
>>
>>388215558
You should be able to just leave the demo on the internal storage.
>>
Wow, this is good news. I was worried I'd have to, like, physically remove the HD in mine. This is so much simpler.
>>
>>388214279
>SSD through USB2.0

Kekus bottleneckus
>>
>>388215084
Actually, if OP has a Pro they support SATA3 so an SSD would have a clear advantage.
Vanillas only support USB3.
>>
>>388216624
Console games are designed with HDDs in mind. SSDs don't make much of a difference if any ever.
The "south bridge" might bottleneck it anyway.
>>
>>388216624
Just a standard PS4 sadly.
>>
>>388216836
>SSDs don't make much of a difference if any ever.
They cut loading times just like on PC. Horizon on my pro has long ass loading times if you quick travel. It's a luxury upgrade and it depends on what games you play.
>>
>>388217285
In any case I'll be heading back to college this weekend, my friend and roommate primarily games on PC and PS4so he can give me some input.
>>
>>388214279
I wouldn't recommend an external HD. I have a Seagate 4TB 2.5" and there's just enough added latency that cutscenes in many games skip a bit or take too long to stream in. Uncharted 4 and KH2 have been the worst so far. DoA sometimes starts the round before the announcer voice loads... just weird stuff. The default internal drive doesn't have this issue. So now I just use the external as a swap drive.
>>
>>388219178
Strange I haven't heard of anyone using externals having any issues, the majority I've seen have reported similar or better results than the stock internal.
>>
>>388219178
Ok but whats the alternative when you run out of space on your Internal drive?
For instance I have maybe 10 games installed and with how every ps4 game that comes out is like 40 or 50 gigs I was scrapping the limit.
I buy and play too many games on Ps4 to have only 10 installed at a time.
>inb4 just delete after you're done playing
I do that, Those 10 games were the only ones I was unwilling to delete because I loved them so much.
Thread posts: 25
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.