[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What was the best old school gaming magazine? EGM? Gamepro etc...

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 3

What was the best old school gaming magazine? EGM? Gamepro etc... and why did you pick it?
>>
>>388168195
Playstation Underground, PSM, and Nintendo Power were the best. EGM was good too, never read GamePro.
>>
EGM was great and died still kind of good
GamePro was always shit
Game Informer was decent in the past
Nintendo Power was pretty mediocre
Never touched a PS or XB centric mag
>>
>>388169357
remember the ones that were like 8 and 10 bucks?
>>
>>388168195
EGM hands down
>>
>>388169701
Were those the ones that came with demos?
>>
>>388168195

EGM by far

PSM was nice
>>
>>388168195
I subscribed to Tips and Tricks for many years
>>
>>388169791
some did some didnt
>>
File: 1503103679892.jpg (30KB, 315x315px) Image search: [Google]
1503103679892.jpg
30KB, 315x315px
>>388169357
>Nintendo Power was pretty mediocre
Outside of being nintendo only I thought they were pretty great until the Wii hit.
>>
>>388169885

for an Nintendo exclusive magazine I though it was a waste of time in the way that the didn't have any Nintendo info any sooner than everyone else did. At least it felt that way. Reviews were waay too generous, on tier with modern Game Informer.
>>
>>388170134
>Game Informer reviews
>generous
Did they stop calling everything below a 7 shit?
>>
>>388168195
Shoe-era EGM was the best. They were the last honest part of the gaming press. I still remember the one editorial about their hiring process; where they said this one guy interviewed and had a great resume (a degree from a good school and experience) but obviously didn't know how to play games well so they turned him down. Or when they called out Acclaim for trying to bribe them for better Mortal Kombat reviews. Or when they refused to take expensive prizes from a Microsoft event. If only places still had that mindset today.
>>
ha, I just remembered that I bought this one time at a video game store (before they were all bought out by Gamestop)
There were photos of a model dressed as Lara Croft inside
>>
>>388170689
Also honorable mention to GMR. Despite being a retailer exclusive mag it was fairly honest and looked slick as fuck.
>>
Tips & Tricks for those sweet cheat codes and game collection pics in the back.
>>
Gamepro was great and anyone who disagrees is objectively wrong.
>>
>>388170889
And in the back they had that Japan page,
introduced me to Pokemon and all their weird merchandise
>>
>>388170689
I loved that era.
>Retro section
>Generally fair reviews for all systems
>fun side articles
>Hsu and Chan
Did something happen to it when it was revived?
>>
>>388171314
They came back with a different staff and weren't nearly as good. I subscribed for the first couple of issues and it wasn't worth renewing. The mag is dead for good now but the website is still going. Last I saw Shoe is working for Sony, one of the guys is working for a localization company, and another one is at Arkane.
>>
>>388168195
can't pick, had a sub to them all or picked them off the newstand

recently though, i picked up a TON of Gamepro and EGM someone tossed in the trash. easily about 150 issues altogether. gonna take a pic of it, covers like 1992 to 2001 of game pro easy
Thread posts: 21
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.