[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why did RTS games die? Is it because they are too hard?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 211
Thread images: 33

File: 1503588340440.png (96KB, 327x300px) Image search: [Google]
1503588340440.png
96KB, 327x300px
Why did RTS games die? Is it because they are too hard?
>>
File: Kenny.png (773KB, 671x868px) Image search: [Google]
Kenny.png
773KB, 671x868px
>>388161864
Because RTS is fucking boring.
>>
>go at autistic break neck speeds just to be 1 point higher then opponent and rush them and do anti fun as fuck tactics just to win

Yes and thank fuck they did. Shame MOBA spawned from it.
>>
>>388161864
>Why did RTS games die?
Because the RTS "fanbase" would rather bitch how RTS games are dead than actually buy and play RTS games. How many of you so called "RTS fans" bought Cossacks 3 or Sudden Strike 4? Actual RTS fans no longer exist, there are only gook clicker shitters and mongoloids who like to pretend they like RTS, but never actually play them.
>>
>>388161864
what is the obsession with this fucking emoji?
>>
File: hmm.png (5KB, 225x225px) Image search: [Google]
hmm.png
5KB, 225x225px
>>388162494
Really makes you think, doesn't it?
>>
I don't want to tell someone to do something, I want to do it myself.
>>
high barrier to entry, gameplay thats boring/unappealing to most people, cant be played with a controller, generally only on pc
>>
Member when we called them emoticons?
>>
File: 295015945405988864.png (12KB, 128x128px) Image search: [Google]
295015945405988864.png
12KB, 128x128px
>>388162791
>not still using the term emoticon
>>
Because RTS single player is a shitty puzzle game and RTS multiplayer is a shitty rhythm game.
>>
>>388162791
an emoji is a picture
an emoticon is something like this :)
or this XD

you dumb fuck -_-
>>
They didn't die, LoL and Dota2 are still extremely popular
>>
>>388161864
Because devs started focusing into the competitive side that is no fun since it boils down to doing shit as fast as possible
>>
>>388161864
not dead just niche
>>
>>388161864
They have the same problem as fighting games. For many the learning curve can be steep and not many RTS implement good teach modes. Fighting games are getting better about this with challenge modes and trials. However I haven't seen this much in RTS making the journey for a casual to get into the genre a bit daunting.
>>
>>388163514
>>388161864
Arena shooters, realtime strategies, fighting games - these three are dead genres that still cling to past glories
Those times will never return, nor will a renaissance of sorts be created.
>>
>>388161864
>autistic playerbase that ree's at new players at the slightest mistake
>shitton of smurfing
>soulless meta game and exploitation of shitty mechanics, sucking out the fun of what is supposed to be a video game
>no actual strategy involved
>just APM

if you like, fine. but don't expect me to buy your shit and fund your autistic niche genre
>>
File: thinking.png (28KB, 512x512px) Image search: [Google]
thinking.png
28KB, 512x512px
>>388163383
What are Unicode emoticons?
>>
>>388163383
>an emoji is a picture
You are wrong
>>
File: 1501224537143.jpg (9KB, 236x250px) Image search: [Google]
1501224537143.jpg
9KB, 236x250px
I recognize those ears
>>
>>388163514
It's not just the learning curve, in fighting games you are always fighting against your opponent and being patient pays off depending on your character/playstyle
>>
>>388161864
It's just the natural progression of things, it was saturated at one point, other genres took over, and people's tastes changed.
I'm hoping 2017 will surprise us further and revive it.
>>
>>388161864
They suffer from the exact same problem that arena FPS do. The fanbase is too busy bitching about the genre being dead to actually pick up new arena FPS releases.
>>
>>388163383
What did you mean by this?
>>
>>388161864
What was the last good single player RTS campaign?
>>
>>388164376
I heard good things about grey goo...
>>
>>388163647
>shitton of smurfing
This is true, and it's always gonna be a problem in highly competitive games. Because most people are cowardly bitches.

>no actual strategy involved
Maybe you should look up the definition of this word?
>>
File: WRD_CoverArt_EU.jpg (270KB, 1063x1500px) Image search: [Google]
WRD_CoverArt_EU.jpg
270KB, 1063x1500px
ITT: casual consolefags
>>
File: Army_Men_-_RTS_Coverart.png (186KB, 256x311px) Image search: [Google]
Army_Men_-_RTS_Coverart.png
186KB, 256x311px
>>388161864
>>
>>388163383
Those are smileys c:
>>
>>388163638
Unfortunate the most recognized companies for these genres aren't taking many risks. They are reliant on the competitive communities and repetition so they can keep afloat rather than widen their player base.
>>
>>
the 360, wii and PS3 exploding onto the market made RTS games economically inefficient to develop since they were the genre that by far was hardest to port to the console control scheme

it's not a coincidence that every high-budget RTS except the occasional starcraft 2 or dawn of war 2 straggler stopped being released after 2007-2008

and reviving the genre would require something extraordinary, bland starcraft clones with no campaign and ugly assets shouldn't even try
>>
>>388165091
Wasn't it more the recession killing everything but super profitable investments?
>>
>>388164503
That's a RTT game, not a RTS. Not that I'm complaining, since RTT is the natural evolution of RTS. Real time basebuilding during combat itself can go fuck itself, it's retarded and is one of the reasons RTS are dead. RTT games like Total Warhammer where basebuilding is separated into its own pre-combat phase are doing better than ever.
>>
>>388165343
might have been that too, I'm just guessing here, I really don't have any solid economic data backing me up (although we all know that console generation was far more popular than the former)
>>
>>388164782
my nigger
>>
>>388164114
It's not the only problem but its the first one people face I feel in both genres. For example SC2 zerg extractor trick. You could play that game for months without knowing that's an option if you don't watch a replay, which casuals don't. This isn't an exploit either since its been in the series since Brood War. I'm just saying in order to grow a community you got plant the seeds of ideas in the casual players for it to grow.
>>
It has the daunting skill floor and detrimental effects of a high skill ceiling (casuals getting shitstomped so hard they aren't even sure how they lost) like a fighting game, only even more so. If you take two players who are new to fighting games and show them the basic controls and teach only one of them some combos and when to use them, he'll have a decent edge but the match could go either way. If you have the same situation with an RTS, but you teach one of them a decent build order, he'll most often stomp the other guy into the fucking ground, and the effect only grows from there.
>>
>>388163514
But if people learn the game, they'll realize how garbage it is, which will also make them not play it.

>>388163638
Arena shooters have a completely different issue. They can't be made anymore because new games have to have good graphics, and arena shooters can't have good graphics.
>>
The skill cap is too high, a single game can last up to 2-3 hrs and after a while it gets repetitive as fuck. And i tell you this as an AoE2 fan that has been playing for over 10 years on Voobly. And i still get my shit pushed by +17 players on the Medieval Siege lobby.
>>
>>388166705
>because new games have to have good graphics, and arena shooters can't have good graphics.
wrong and wrong
>>
>play Mental Omega
>at least half of the people playing it are Chinese
>also they're terrible

And I'm not good at all. I constantly have production wasting and am slow to expand.
>>
>>388166749
>skill cap
>repetitive
Something doesn't add up.
>>
>>388166550
>getting shitstomped so hard they aren't even sure how they lost
That is a design issue though, If you can't tell what you're doing wrong, it means the game is an archaic piece of shit.
>>
>>388166705
>But if people learn the game, they'll realize how garbage it is, which will also make them not play it.

Right all books suck if you don't learn how to read.

> Arena shooters have a completely different issue. They can't be made anymore because new games have to have good graphics, and arena shooters can't have good graphics.

Lawbreakers seems to be doing alright same with Quake Champions.
>>
>>388163383
You have that ass backwards my friend.
This is an emoji. `_>`
An emoticon or "emote icon" is a picture.
An emote is like this. *shrugs*
>>
>>388166995

difficulty on RTS is about reflexes and how good you are at micromanagement. Every player knows all the strategies in all the maps, but in the end the victory is for the one who can produces the biggest amount of units in the less time and move them more precisely.
>>
>>388166749
>a single game can last up to 2-3 hrs
Stop playing 4v4 black forest you fucking retard
>>
>>388167365
Skill cap in multiplayer is defined by how much the game lets you influence your opponent. In RTS, that's almost nothing.
>>
>>388161864
losing at an rts gives scrubs the feelbads. MOBAs let shitters feel good by giving them teammates to blame
>>
>>388167484
Why do people keep making up retarded definitions for words they don't understand
>>
>>388163406
>ASSFAGGOTS
>RTS
Lemme guess, Smash is a fighting game too.
>>
>>388167589
If you use any other definition, then you'll end up with rhythm games being the highest skillcap multiplayer games by a huge margin
>>
>>388167484
holy shit you have never played an RTS at a high level have you?
>>
>>388167484
Skill cap in multiplayer is largely determined by how much you can harass your opponent without trading unfavorably, or catch them off guard with an early game rush. Going in for the long haul in RTS is not a winning strategy.
>>
>>388167784
Have you never played played anything other than starcraft in your life? There is more interaction in the first 10 minutes of a dota 2 game than there is in 1 hour of starcraft,
>>
>>388167689
>game where characters fight
>not a fighting game
It's literally in the name of the genre.
>>
>>388161864
yes and because the average guy playing an rts wants to play it the fun way not the optimal way
>>
>>388161864
People figured that RTT is the superior format
>>
>>388167956
Halo confirmed fighting game
>>
>>388163514
Sc2 WOL had a very nice challenge bit, where you could control each race.

It teaches unit counters, economy, how to protect against rushes.

I don't think anyone really give that thing a shot, it's quite intriguing.
>>
>>388166550
>Decent build order

One of the least fun things of SC for me was pretty much being forced to build in a certain order for the first minutes since a lot of options are just suicide.
>>
>>388168732
It's weird that something so many players take issue with hasn't had a single thing done to fix it.
>>
>>388167956
With that description where does it end.
>>
>>388168907
It can't be fixed, Build orders exist with anything that has more than one option to train or build something.

You could artificially limit it and make it so tech tiers are locked behind a timer or something, but it would be frustrating, not to mention late game units would never get used.

Also it's really tiring to hear vee complain about gookclicks, like if every RTS is SC2.
>>
>>388167156
>lawbreakers doing alright
>>
>>388163514
Isn't the story modes on rts games like a giant tutorial? Slowly adds units and depth as situations grow from mission to mission.
>>
>>388168657
I never used that either, did use alot of player made tools in the arcade though.
>>
>>388167156
>Lawbreakers seems to be doing alright same with Quake Champions.
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
Wrong. Both games are dead on arrival, just like how Reflex and Toxikk were
Epic Games had a miscarriage; UT4 is dead even before it's born
All the other arena shooters in development like Overload and Diabolical will be dead on arrival as well.
>>
>>388162217
>Because RTS is fucking boring.

RTS games are way more fun and engaging than most modern popular games though. Way more fun than survival crafters, MOBA, Overwatch, walking sims, MMORPGs, Persona ego-sucking simulation, and FFXV
>>
>>388169461
Not really because you don't have to use fundamentals to beat them
>>
>>388161864
Because Blizzard killed it. Blizzard tends to kill any genre that it touches now.
>>
>>388169461
To an extent however something like that will never teach you things exclusively helpful in multiplayer like proper scouting.
>>
>>388169491
truth be told, players could do better learning tools.

I'm fond of the live match with observer mode arcade map where people can join in,observe, after a match other gets to play, etc.

Also iirc there were some good micro maps as well.

Teaching all of this shit is hard, it's something a dev can't do as easy as someone who is a pro at the game, as weird as that sounds.
>>
>>388161864
RTS developers needed to make the be all end all micro and macro game. They got close with HoI and a tiny bit with Stellaris, but the reality is that neither hit that macro and micro management which would massage the autism. I want indepth fucking space battles with the macro management of my empire and etc.

Gib (1) game where this happens in such magnitude.
>>
>>388169542
All multiplayer video games are crap. We're still in the infancy of video games.

Dota 2 has the best memes though, and that puts it above the rest.
>>
>>388169834
I know there is some asocial twat who actually believes this.
>>
>tried getting into Shogun 2 as my first RTS
>took me about 2 hours of fiddling with the keyboard just to figure out how to move my soldiers
>>
>>388169990
not an rts
>>
>>388161864
Devs seem to cater to esports multiplayer ladder matches, and fail at it.

They don't create lots of maps and good AI for single player or co-op for comp stumps.
>>
>>388170047
well, fuck
>>
>>388170104
It's a much easier RTT game.

You need to try a real man's RTS
>>
>>388168732
>>388168907
I never understood this "build order meme", if you build any buildings its a "build order". You have a strategy you want to execute, so you build buildings and macro out of them to achieve said strategy. You can go online and find a strategy that contains a build order to achieve that strategy in an optimal way and if you win with its honestly because the enemy didnt understand your strategy, if he did your "build order" wouldn't have beat him. Any strategy that revolves around winning the game off the timely way you build your 1st 3-5 buildings is inherently a gamble because you are banking off the fact that your opponent is ill equipped mentally to deduce your strategy. These kind of cheesy play falls off completely at higher levels.
>>388168907
How do you fixx it? not let people build buildings and produce units?
>>
>>388170098
>Devs seem to cater to esports multiplayer ladder matches
Give me actual examples, no SC2.

You maybe COULD count dow3, but even then it's a stretch. DoW3 didn't have much ladder functionality
>>
>>388161864
rts has no instant gratification mechanics
>>
People say all kinds of shit on this topic but my answer as an rts fan is simple: newer attempts at RTS don't do anything new. In fact, almost every new RTS game I've played is literally a less feature-complete version of an older game. Grey Goo is a watered down bastard baby of C&C and Earth 2160. Why would I play Act of Aggression when I could play C&C Zero Hour. How many new RTS have comparable features and content to classic games with their years of patches, expansion packs, and mods?
The lack of innovation is an obvious culprit. After I played Supreme Commander the first time, I thought I would never see another RTS game without Supcoms tactical zoom because it's a massive boon to usability but here I am using the minimap to zoom around like a peasant in every game still. All these new RTS also have little to no modding or mapping support, and are abruptly abandoned as soon as they don't "go big" or meet whatever unrealistic goal their devs had. Most classic RTS didn't reach their full potential without an expansion pack, but games these days don't generally get a focused expansion. Most gaming communities will die to stagnation without a minimum of change, so if devs are too pussy to commit to a long-term plan they're never going to leave a lasting mark.
Other obvious factors are things like player elimination/flexibility, which MOBA games are designed around. Nobody can be eliminated from the round, and you can play with any number of players up to the team size. It's easy to fit the social dynamic of most groups. With classic RTS, if you eat shit five minutes in then you're stuck waiting for your buddies to finish the match.
I don't think the learning curve comments are relevant, every game requires learning from your opponents to advance and I would say the relative pace of an RTS game is no faster than most others, the only difference is that your opponents actions are often less visible.
>>
File: Reallymakesyouthink.png (8KB, 112x112px) Image search: [Google]
Reallymakesyouthink.png
8KB, 112x112px
>>388162494
>>
File: 1492357545073.gif (337KB, 475x481px) Image search: [Google]
1492357545073.gif
337KB, 475x481px
>>388161864
How do I find friends who are into RTS and want to comp-stomp that aren't total e-sports wannabe faggots?
>>
>>388170346
I think team games solve that last problem, hell, SC2 coop is more popular than ladder, for one big reason, It's more social.

There is also the commander variety, maps that don't boil down to just kill each other, and fun challenges each week.

What the RTS genre needs is new blood, i keep saying this over and over again because noone really gets this. The reason why this genre is so stagnanant is because it's trying to appease to the same group of people, the same overly critical and nostalgic group of faggots that will make AoE4 the best selling RTS from that year. and probably second after SC2.

Because who the fuck cares about good gameplay if it isn't the franchise you had good memories with.

>>388170714
Which rts you have? i'm more than up for it t b h
>>
>>388170346
I disagree, they are all trying new shit but everyone wants an rts game the builds on what the previous giants did. Rts games need to focus on interesting unit design over new and unique core gameplay. C&C, SC, WC3, SupCommander all had really good and interesting units that you could build stratagys around like the seige tank or subterranean APC and Wc3 pretty much made an entire game out of units doing unique things
>>
>>388170797
People are literally too scared to 1v1, thats the actual issue.

>>388170714
>comp stomps
What are you? 13?
>>
>>388170346
What the fuck did Overwatch and PUBG bring to the table that other games didn't? They actually deliver less features than other games and they sold like hotcakes.
MOBAs also guarantee loss if you fuck up early on and even if you don't fuck up if your teammates do you most likely are fucked if they're in important roles. I know Dota2 tried to add comeback mechanics, but at the height of the MOBA scene your fate was pretty much set in stone after playing 20% of the match.

It's never been about features or innovation. It's always been about ego stroking the casual audience and it will always be that way. There is a reason OW, P5, any FF, CoD, BF, any MOBA, etc. are always more popular than games that are generally considered superior; it's because those games suck your dick for being a mediocre piece of shit and try to mitigate any punishment for losing by sucking your dick even harder.
>>
File: 1492840608121.png (4MB, 1790x2117px) Image search: [Google]
1492840608121.png
4MB, 1790x2117px
>>388171035
What's wrong with them? Does playing a RTS for something other than the competitive aspect really hurt your pride in the genre that much?
>>
>>388170930
what game? if you are talking about dotas, then you got it wrong, Heroes are not units.

One of my biggest gripes with WC3 is the overrelliance with the hero, to the point of losing it being more important than losing your army.

>>388171035
>>People are literally too scared to 1v1, thats the actual issue.
Not long ago i decided to give SC2 ladder a shot, somehow got into platinum league, which i know it's not grandmasters but it isn't the league i expected i would get into. I used to have very big ladder anxiety but it's easily fixed if you try and not take it seriously. Try and have fun, make a bunch of hydras and see if you win

Either way the fear exists there because noone likes to have a lose streak, and worse, a lose streak with a bunch of cheese strategies.

>>>comp stomps
>What are you? 13?

Excellent way of keeping the dead genre even more dead, by mocking anyone that dares have fun with a game.
>>
>>388171225
There were two megacreep comebacks in dota 2 at this years TI. Megacreep comebacks have only ever occurred three times at TI, and two of them were in this single tournament.
>>
>>388171225
There is also the labeling and brand. People eat up any garbage Blizzard shits out just because it has the Blizzard logo on it. Its like niggers and Nike's or Jordan's. They're made the same god damn way as every other shoe, but these dumb fuckers spend hundreds of dollars on shoes because of the brand.
>>
I just want to say that I think rocket league is legit the most well designed multiplayer game in the last decade
>>
File: arnold.png (914KB, 800x1001px) Image search: [Google]
arnold.png
914KB, 800x1001px
>>388161864
They never died.
You just think they did because you are a console faggot who never sees them due to inferior hardware
>>
>>388171779
No console fag would even know what an RTS
>>
>>388171225
People will play games because other people play games, its why blizzard never releases player numbers and any game that can be steam spyed will die after 1 week if it doesn't have a huge number of players.

>>388171382
I just dont understand how anyone can enjoy playing vs a repetitive ai, ai technology in rts has not changed since 2003 they ALL cheat past normal mode.

>>388171384
Just the base wc3, after t1 all the units were extremely unique and had a special way to go about doing their role, the entire game was based around using your units specialty to win games.

>Either way the fear exists there because noone likes to have a lose streak, and worse, a lose streak with a bunch of cheese strategies.
No, people HATE having to put the blame on themselves, people prefer games like dota because its always some one else fault. No one talks about dota ladder anxiety but it was rampant in sc2, i played both games to a pretty high level before RL caught up with me.
>>
>>388171662
Fuck dota honestly, rubberband was a joke mechanic.
>>
>>388172205
>I just dont understand how anyone can enjoy playing vs a repetitive ai, ai technology in rts has not changed since 2003 they ALL cheat past normal mode

Maybe you should stop playing it by yourself because of course it gets fucking boring

The idea is to have fun with it you dingus
>>
>>388172205
>No, people HATE having to put the blame on themselves

How did fighting games manage to still have a playerbase, it's the same problem.

this is a flawed argument because you assume you know everyone who has ever played a single game ever.

It's more complex than that, ladder anxiety only exists with SC2 because it's the only rts with a big enough active playerbase. We don't know if ladder anxiety is caused by problems specific to SC2 or the genre as a whole, because again, no other current rts is popular enough for this problem to even happen.

>I just dont understand how anyone can enjoy playing vs a repetitive ai, ai technology in rts has not changed since 2003 they ALL cheat past normal mode.

You should really stop thinking MP is the only way you can enjoy a game, hell you said how you liked WC3 t2+ unit complexity, why can't someone enjoy that alongside a friend?
>>
Which is the most populated non-blizzard RTS at the moment? I want to learn one and have at least some noobs to play with.
>>
It's hard to make unique RTS games honestly.
>>
>>388172827

Starcraft HD
>>
>>388172373
There are much better games to play with friends then comp stomping an AI, unless its a co-op campaign.

I cant turn off being really good at rts games, if i have to cripple myself its not fun. The fun comes from the ~~challenge~~ with out one its not fun. Crushing a child at a 100 meter dash is not fun, even if i got all my friends to help me.
>>
>>388172827
Aoe 2
>>
>>388172916
>non-blizzard
>>
File: 1502010495113.jpg (30KB, 512x432px) Image search: [Google]
1502010495113.jpg
30KB, 512x432px
>>388171225

>OW

Massive marketing and waifus and doing what Blizz does best: a "good" flash looking and fun game for but very boring to play. Is good for other people to watch and not play the game while they churn fanart and porn.

>PUBG

One if not the most twitch friendly game ever made with a nice idea: a big battle between 100 players but all that shit goes down the window when you play and discover the game has big pauses between action and whe nyou die it ends in a flash, just what streamers want.

Both games have great marketing because it hooks those who dont play games
>>
>>388172827
i guess Sup Com FAF for now, it has a dedicated launcher and all of that.

There is also the DoW2 Elite mod comunity, that made it more competitive, or so i'm told.

besides that i don't know really
>>
>>388172954
Thanks for proving me right
>>
>>388172786
Fighters are a different breed of people. I have been at enough tournys / lanns to know.

>You should really stop thinking MP is the only way you can enjoy a game
If im not being challenged im not enjoying the game, im not sure where you draw your "fun" from please explain it to me. Not even being a dick just dont understand. I like the wc3 unit complexity because its a diverse set of tools that i can use to out play my opponent and be out played in turn, equaling fun.
>>
>>388167484
ITT: people who've never played RTS online and are talking out of their asses
>>
>>388167936
>dota2
>sc2
not the same genre, comparison invalid
>>
>>388173246
It's /v/ what did you expect
>>
File: 1488867778122.jpg (546KB, 979x832px) Image search: [Google]
1488867778122.jpg
546KB, 979x832px
>>388162494
>>
>>388163383
>an emoji is a picture
ji comes from japanese å­— which is character, you dumb fuck
>>
>>388167936
I was GM in sc2 and 5k in dota, but that was like 5 years ago now
>>
File: EE20Trailer_zps105c2f1d.jpg (103KB, 423x600px) Image search: [Google]
EE20Trailer_zps105c2f1d.jpg
103KB, 423x600px
>a remaster of pic related will never happen
>imstartingtogetsad.jpeg
>>
>>388173224
Because people love to build big armies? see lots of units fight and die? just move slowly in a map and defeat an enemy?

You may have an autistic obsession with challenge but that's just you, again, everyone is different and will enjoy different aspects of a game.
>>
>>388174017
I used to like that stuff too, when I was 13.
>>
>>388169834
>We're still in the infancy of video games.
Gaming's infancy was everything up to the saturn, ps1, and N64. It's renaissance lasted from then until the mobile era took hold. Now we're undergoing another metamorphosis with the emergence of functional VR and smartphones that can handle the processing needs of big mobile game ideas. I feel like we're about to find ourselves in something akin to the industrial revolution for gaming and it's going to be such a great time to be alive.
>>
>>388174353
well enjoy being a fan of a dead genre with no MP capability except for a single game that is slowly dying.
>>
>>388174353
Why don't you and your childhood problems go play some league or something
>>
>>388174868
"you don't like mindlessly stomping a weak ai? Maybe you would enjoy playing an even simpler game??"

Poetry

>>388174435
Thats fine, I like different kinds of games. I can wait another 6 years for wc4.
>>
>>388162405
/thread
>>
>>388162405
>>388175403
>if you make an rts i will play it
>Ah cool, here is your moba/rts hybrid!
>No thanks, thats not what i asked for
>WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOW

lol
>>
>>388161864
Koreans and StarCraft killed rts. Turned then into autistic clicks per second cookieclicker games instead of having actual strategy.
>>
>>388175698
Only Dow3 pulled that stunt dipshit.
>>
>>388176085
Yep. I know a lot of people enjoy StarCraft, but it's probably one of my least favorite series in the genre pre-2008.
>>
>>388172205

>ai technology in rts has not changed since 2003 they ALL cheat past normal mode.

Dawn of Skirmish motherfucker, do you know it?
>>
File: 1411859328370.jpg (269KB, 1440x810px) Image search: [Google]
1411859328370.jpg
269KB, 1440x810px
You cant see it but im rolling my eyes at you.

>>388176085
Yeah man thats what did it, some gook playing broodwar in his moms basement a world away killed rts. Your next line is "wc3 killed rts because it made dota!"
>>
>>388176446
Im very exited about AI learning in video games, it will be great until they take all our jobs then great again for the people who survive.
>>
>>388176836

A.I learning is still a meme for vidya at this point and will be for a good few years - its only just becoming A Thing is datacentres and the hardware for it (lol FP16) is basically nonexistant on consumer hardware because Nvidia especially don't want us plebs getting access to it.
>>
They're for autists and there aren't enough autists to justify developing for them
>>
>>388177410
But the entire population of asia...
>>
>>388175698
>Cossacks 3
>SS4
>MOBA
THIS is the modern "RTS fanabse" AHAHAHAHAHA. The genre is dead because the fanbase is brain dead.
>>
>>388161864
This image is fucking epic
>>
>>388161864
If I love fighting games will I like RTS?
>>
>>388161864
The thinking emoji has unironically become my favourite image recently.
>>
>>388177410
This guy gets it, only autistic "muh competitive is the way to go" play these games, if you want to make a successful rts you would have to make it fun, making it centered around some ladder only gets you a bunch of aspies. For example on this thread there's only one of those aspies
>>
Same as arena FPS, it's literally too much work at the higher levels due to the exploitability of the mechanics. You would have to be on speed or something to properly play.
>>
File: when ? kicks in.gif (2MB, 460x259px) Image search: [Google]
when ? kicks in.gif
2MB, 460x259px
>>388162494
post-ironic irony
>>
>>388161864
Micromanagement is a niche appeal.
>>
>>388179720
So this is the power of the shit post... wooooah
>>
File: 1460777710181.gif (4MB, 500x282px) Image search: [Google]
1460777710181.gif
4MB, 500x282px
Anyone still play wc3?
All those customs and dat melee makes it my all time goat.
>>
File: 1405924370964.gif (208KB, 354x534px) Image search: [Google]
1405924370964.gif
208KB, 354x534px
>>388181818
No one else is playing so no, wc4 one day i hope.
>>
File: racky blows hard.jpg (130KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
racky blows hard.jpg
130KB, 1280x720px
>>388182124
There are still a few people playing customs.
A lobby of Legion TD takes up to 10 mins to fill and people are always up for any Tag or Pokemon World if you host it.
Melee on the other hand is so dead it's not even worth queuing up just to wait an hour or more.
wc4 never
>>
>>388182925
>Melee on the other hand is so dead it's not even worth queuing up just to wait an hour or more.
Yee, thats the problem
>>
Consoles and Koreans ruined everything.
>>
>>388181146
I actually take a strong dose of my ADHD meds (which I barely use anymore, fucking jew chemicals) before playing RTS online, it makes me a lot better.
>>
Because it's the most boring multiplayer games in existence, it used to be good and popular before internet gaming was a big thing.
You used to play RTS for the campaign, against the computer or at a LAN with people that was shit at the game just like you.
Nowadays with Internet and the whole Meta stuff a RTS would be the most boring games to play, it will ALWAYS have a pre-determined build order that's always the best and the game would just evolve into who can build this build order the fastest rather than actual strategy.
>>
>>388183835
This

confiscate their electricity.
>>
>>388184316
>click matchmaker
>get matched with someone at your tryhard level

The problem is the video game market is catered to retards such as yourself. Dont worry school shooter sim 4 is right around the corner friend you wont have to wait long to get your instant gratification.
>>
>>388184603
Nice argument there anon
>>
>>388184695
>click matchmaker
>get matched with someone at your tryhard level

Yep, sound as fuck.
>>
>>388163271
what the fuck is a emoticon, is that
>>
>>388161864
i wanna fuck that cat boy
>>
>>388181506
What part of that post is a shitpost, you fucking shit-eating cretin? If you think SS4 or Cossacks 3 are MOBAs, which you have clearly stated in your actual shitpost, you are brain fucking dead. Neck yourself, you mothbreathing trash.
>>
>>388186383
Didn't read your post man
>>
hard to make a balanced mp and have good unit variety
wish more games would skip balance and just have single player with fun units, like goo in grey goo

>>388184603
good luck finding mp outside sc
>>
because RTS peaked 11 years ago with Company of Heroes, and there was nowhere to go but down from there.
>>
>>388184316
>t will ALWAYS have a pre-determined build order that's always the best
Wrong, there are plenty of viable BO depending on situation, most of them having counters
The longest build orders only account for the 5 first minutes anon. Strategy comes after. There are only so many optimal ways to reach a goal (aka the different build orders)
BO just help you reach a certain amount of troops, or a technology, or a set in your economy. It doesn't help you with early aggression, or tells you where you opponent is, what build he does (which would require you to change if he counters/decide to attack you when you're vulnerable)
>>
because RTS has no casual filter
even people struggle in easy difficulty

that's we we've devolved into the simple WASD point and click genre
>>
>>388161864
It got broken down into more genres.
>>
>>388187249
>it got broken
truer words have never been
>>
File: automata.png (26KB, 117x128px) Image search: [Google]
automata.png
26KB, 117x128px
>>388162494
I don't know but it really makes me think
>>
>>388187167
>because RTS has no casual filter

Thats true, i really want to get into the sc remaster but i know it wont get actually fun until like 600 hours into it. At least sc2 only needed like 200 hours to get decent.
>>
File: really akes you think.jpg (50KB, 639x640px) Image search: [Google]
really akes you think.jpg
50KB, 639x640px
>>388161864
>RTS games
>Die
>>
>>388186776
That's not hard to accomplish for someone who can't read.
>>
>>388161864
I watched the first 3 episodes of this show tonight and idk if I like it or not. I feel like 16 year old me would be digging it hard.
>>
>>388187784
Lol
>>
>>388169542
They'd be popular if that was true.
>>
File: 1502851635351.jpg (999KB, 1300x1708px) Image search: [Google]
1502851635351.jpg
999KB, 1300x1708px
>>388187924
Its shit don't worry about it. That catpussy (boy) is just there to sell figurines he doesn't even do anything.
>>
>>388188024
RTS don't praise you for being shit like the other games
>>
>>388167294
'_>'
\_o
>>
MOBAs are social. RTSs aren't.

That's why RTS died.
>>
>>388188058
Core idea is cool, self-awareness is nice but being self-aware doesn't mean you can still get away with laying down hard on tropes and generic moe anime dialogue, I don't think I've ever heard someone in real life talk like how most people in animes do.
>>
>>388188208
fuck you for getting a chuckle out of me
>>
>>388188308
>RTS isn't social
>he will never drink his friends tears at a LAN when he bomb trucks someone's base with a hidden tunnel
generals was the shit
>>
>>388162405
is cossacks 3 out?
>>
There's no good RTS out atm. Like SC:R just released and while I did buy it and played it a bit, realistically, I don't want to spend years playing catch up with the Koreans that been playing this since 98. I'd be a lot more motivated to play something entirely new, where everyone is pretty much on the same level.
>>
>>388188618
since october last year afaik
>>
File: 1502852177232.jpg (863KB, 707x1000px) Image search: [Google]
1502852177232.jpg
863KB, 707x1000px
>>388188382
I dont know how into anime you are but fate zero is an AAA anime so its pretty much just a "self insert" anime for sad weebs designed to sell figurines. The show will keep getting new waifues to sell more figurines until there is a waifu overload then they will just make a new show to sell new merchandise.

Some people are into that some are not i dont judge, but dont bother watching it if thats not what youre looking for.
>>
>>388188693
Same, was pretty hopeful for dow3. sad sad sad
>>
File: 1503438970247.jpg (160KB, 988x988px) Image search: [Google]
1503438970247.jpg
160KB, 988x988px
>>388188745
>>
File: 1491581888600.jpg (158KB, 835x1024px) Image search: [Google]
1491581888600.jpg
158KB, 835x1024px
>>388161864
because they require thinking and """gamers"""" nowadays only want to walk toward a shiny object and press a button to play the next cutscene.
>>
why is DoW 3 so bad /v/?
i wanted to like it so much.
>>
>>388188909
that photoshop is almost as bad as that daki
>>
File: 1502558461959.png (206KB, 782x707px) Image search: [Google]
1502558461959.png
206KB, 782x707px
>>388188909
Nice, thats a nice image.

>>388188991
BACK FLIPPING ANGELOS, The crazy part is that some guys in some board room must have discussed this and no one said anything.
>>
>>388161864
Multiplayer 1v1 is harsh, one guy wins and the other one loses.
With the instant gratification that the customers want nowadays RTS just don't fit in.
You also can't really play RTS with your friends because the skillgaps are too big, unlike trash like CSGO or LoL where you can carry one bud.
>>
>>388162405
>anything other than aoe or blizz strats
you girls need to rethink your lives
>>
>>388162405
Those eere shit tho
>>
>>388161864
because esports is fucking cancer
their audience always wanted the exact same shit to keep it competitive. but why the fuck would anyone buy new RTSs if they are all the same?
>>
>>388190778
t.Command and Conquer 4 fan
>>
>>388190876
it still hurts
>>
File: 1501070881264.jpg (21KB, 304x304px) Image search: [Google]
1501070881264.jpg
21KB, 304x304px
>try playing some RTS online
>by the time I make like 3 buildings I already get rushed by my opponent who knows the exact best way and build to fuck me in the ass in less than 5 minutes
>>
File: 1331066192744.jpg (90KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
1331066192744.jpg
90KB, 640x480px
>>388190968
>facing the spanish in AoE3
god that was bullshit
>>
It never died. New games are released every year.
Matter of fact is that people either don't play those or just shitpost endlessly how those games are either a copy or just inferior rather than actually playing them.
Much like Arena FPS, its damned if you do, damned if you don't.
>>
File: 1.png (621KB, 1920x984px) Image search: [Google]
1.png
621KB, 1920x984px
>>388190639
>>388190608
Well, you're not getting anything better and why should you? When developers see that only Blizzard RTS games sell, why should they try to make something new? You may speak about innovation as much as you want, but when the "fanbase" consists of literal cultists who play nothing but Blizz gook clcikers, what's the point in even trying to release a RTS? When it comes to niche genres, you have to buy the "shitty" games to give devs the incentive to make new ones that just might turn out to be good. If you don't show the devs that there's actually a playerbase out there for these type of games, nobody is going to make them.

Personally, I'm not a RTS fag, I'm a turn based tactics patrician and I bought THIS steaming piece of shit and am actually playing it and will write an in-depth Steam review WHY it's shit. Why am I doing this? Because I actually care about the genre, which is something RTS "fans" aren't capable of, apparently.
>>
>>388190968
>this feeling when playing halo ce years after the fact
yeah i know gaylo, but i was young at the time and i went back to the free multiplayer edition and fuck, they had narrowed down the timers for weapon spawns to a fucking art and it was NO FUN ALLOWED.
that level where you could drive in a big C shape to go for the flag or do the straight underground line to the middle? they knew the goo guns spawn timer to an art and by 5 minutes into a match who got there first had an entire team with them providing fuck you artillary/infantry death and fuck.

e-sports ruined everything
>>
>>388191486
Halo CE was the shit man.
>>
>>388191469
Hey there's this new turn based strategy game called Hold The Line: The American Revolution. Looks pretty good, and it's adapted from a board game. It's 13 fiddy right now on steam, I think I'll pick it up.
>>
>>388194262
Pirate it and send the devs some money, don't give anything to steam.
>>
>>388194521
You're right damn...
>>
File: activates your crusades.jpg (10KB, 480x480px) Image search: [Google]
activates your crusades.jpg
10KB, 480x480px
>>388162494
Lemme think about it.
>>
>>388169834
>multiplayer
>rts
>>
>>388161864
Company of Heroes 2 still going strong
Thread posts: 211
Thread images: 33

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.