[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Nier

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 3

File: nier.jpg (40KB, 256x315px) Image search: [Google]
nier.jpg
40KB, 256x315px
Should I play the original Nier before I start Automata?
>>
I think /v/ needs a stupid questions thread like /g/ has.
>>
you should play the original nier now and not play automata at all
>>
no. It's not really worth it. At best, you should watch a let's play of the original Nier but getting through all 4 endings just isn't worth the time.
>>
>>388155174
The best parts of Automata expect that you played the first Nier.
>>
>>388156000
What's the canon ending of nier 1 so I know which one to bother getting
>>
>>388155174
just go watch the recap on youtube.
>>
>>388156167
nier 1 and two aren't linked through the games only by a japanese only drama cd so play 1 and don't bother with two
>>
Yes you retard. Playing Automata will spoil NieR's story for you.
>>
>>388155174
no
Nier is a terrible fucking game. Seriously. JUst watch a playthrough on youtube.
>>
>>388155174
Yes, but skip all the sidequests because they are barely related to the main plot and are nothing but filler.
You will also need to read some side material for the story to make sense.
>>
Nier's not really that good from a gameplay standpoint. It's only okay if you like forced drama.

If you do end up playing it, back up your save file since the game will delete it when you complete the game.
>>
File: 1503313514409.png (629KB, 840x1323px) Image search: [Google]
1503313514409.png
629KB, 840x1323px
1 > 2
>>
>>388155174
It's not really essential, but you'll get more out of Automata if you do. Also Automata completely spoils the original, considering how the story is the best part of the game by a country mile, the original isn't really worth playing anymore if you play Automata.

Might as well give it a try though, start playing and if you hate it, stop. Also in terms of endings, play A and B at least. C and D you can pretty much watch the cutscenes since there's no other difference, but route B has more story throughout the entire game, not just the ending and it's not something you can appreciate by watching a video.
>>
Don't listen to the people saying none of the gameplay is worth it. They're just talking about the combat.

It has better dungeon and level design than Automata, and uses the camera angles with its gameplay a lot better.
>>
>>388155174
Nier is the better game so you'll feel disappointed after finishing automata

automata has better combat thats it, but automata combat is still average or belwo average so it doesn't really mean much
>>
Most mainstream franchise in the world.
Automata with that disgusting shotacon was the worst game of this year. Period.
>>
>>388155174
>Should I play the fist game before the sequel?

Yes in every circumstance, it's common knowledge. Play Nier first, they are both good games. Enjoy
>>
Are the people saying Automata is worse than nier1 memeing? Because nier1 had some pretty shit gameplay or is it just shitposter shitting threads they don't like?
>>
>>388158090

futa cock
>>
File: calling bait.jpg (129KB, 870x675px) Image search: [Google]
calling bait.jpg
129KB, 870x675px
>>388156864
>>
>>388158090
Nier 1 had better dungeons and exploration, Automata had better combat. Gameplay is a pretty broad term.

N1 also used the camera stuff better. It becomes a Diablo game for an entire dungeon whereas all Automata does is zoom out really far or take you into a mech segment, both of which get old.
>>
>>388158416
>>388158090
I like the bosses in Nier 1 better and I think it has more variety in how its divided up (I love the forest of myth, for example), but Automata is objectively the better game.
>>
>>388158481
yeah automata is better, but it just came out and this is /v/ so its automatically bad
>>
>>388158481
It's okay to prefer one, but it isn't far and away objectively better for the reasons I described. The combat in both games get old. Automata has objectively worse level design, no puzzles, and zero unique camera angle segments besides mechs and hacking.

This isn't even mentioning dialogue and characters which were much better in Nier 1. I did like the overall story in Automata better.
>>
>>388158763
>and zero unique camera angle segments besides mechs and hacking.
Not true, forest kingdom and machine cult just off the top of my head.
>>
>>388158481
>say a game is objectively better when it is objectively inferior in multiple regards

Okay champ.
>>
>>388158969
yeah you showed me bro
>>
>>388158678
I really like both of the games and I don't really see the point in comparing them constantly, to be honest I'm still really happy it got a sequel in the first place
>>
>>388158763
The combat in Nier OG is almost entirely literally "spam X" with a single weapon type for half the game. You have some magic, but you run out way too quickly to use it all the time to make it somewhat more interesting. Once you get the other weapon types, all the Sealed Verses and enough magic/mana to use them frequently it gets slightly more interesting, but the combat system is still very basic and restrictive. It also gets very easy starting with route B, like completely and utterly braindead, impossible to die easy. The combat system in Automata has much more variety, the only real problem it has is that it also gets too easy later in the game since it's easy to get overleveled. Overall it's still vastly superior due to the superior combo linking, more diversity by wielding different weapon types, chip customization, 9S having different movesets, hacking and being able to fight as actual machines. There's the shmup sections which play differently too, beyond mere camera changes.

The only categories where Nier can compete with Automata are soundtrack, story (ending, rather, the road to the ending has a fair bit of bad/retarded shit) and characters.
>>
>>388156087
Yeah, I don't think it's vital, but it definitely strengthens the impact of several really great moments.
>>
>>388155174
No. The first game is pure shit.
>>
>>388155174
Yeah, they're both great games and you really miss out on some great moments and musical cues without having played the original.
>>
>>388160645
Notice how you typed up a bunch of shit about combat when I admitted it was trash in both games.

You ignored level design, puzzles, and other GAMEPLAY besides combat that Automata completely fails at.
>>
>>388158416
>Nier 1 had better dungeons and exploration

It actually didn't. It had pretty much the exact same thing as Automata.
>>
>>388156000
>>388156242
>>388156864
>>388157167
Go back to plebbit newfag casual fucks
>>
>>388161065
one of these replies is not like the others.
>>
>>388160980
Remember the Temple of the Sands dungeon in Automata where to progress, you had to fight a certain way, not use items or skills, and satisfy other conditions?

Oh yeah, they made that DLC and every base game level is just shitty circular rooms with no puzzles.

Even the camera angle shit never surprises you. There's never an entire dungeon done an entirely different way to throw you off. It's just zoom out, or get in the mech.
>>
>>388161306
What is the underground factory in the dark? What is the 2D side scroller Castle dungeon in the forest?

The majority of the "dungeons" in both games are just a series of enemy fight rooms.
>>
>>388161830
I clearly said why the Nier 1 Temple was different. Each room was a puzzle where you couldn't use a skill, couldn't use the Pod/book, had to fight enemies in a certain order. There was nothing like that in the factory or forest, it was just a hack and slash.
>>
>>388160893
You have to be more specific about level design, then. All I remember is a bunch of tiny as fuck, barren-looking areas outside with almost no room to explore, repetitive corridors in Junk Heap and gimmick rooms in the desert temple which they copied in the Automata DLC. Are you sure you mean "level design"? Perhaps you're referring to certain settings, for instance Aerie was a cool setting but was basic and uninteresting as a level.

The only "dungeon" that was pretty cool was Emil's mansion and the research facility.

>I admitted it was trash in both games
You see, you can't really call both "trash" because that hides the truth, which is that combat in Automata is vastly superior to the first Nier, which is absolutely terrible for the first half and only starts nudging towards mediocre when you're nearing the end of route A.

Puzzles, like what, again? Basic as fuck, no thought required, rock pushing "puzzles"? Were there other good puzzles? Automata had box pushing shit too, though not as much. I don't remember a single puzzle in either games which left me feeling satisfied because I had solved a clever little challenge, were there any? Maybe I just have a different standard for puzzles, since I actually like puzzle games. I honestly don't remember anything remotely challenging and satisfying in terms of puzzles in Nier.
>>
>>388162345
>in which they copied the Automata DLC
Good thing you're a fucking retard and I can skip the rest of your post.
>>
>>388162429
You're one of those special people I guess. Well, no use trying to talk to you then, pigeons and chess and all that.
>>
>people actually liking automata compared to nier

I mean, I liked all the ploot twists and stuff but I don't like the fact that the game feels unsatisfying the first playthrough and that ending C and D are completely new content

It's such a shit way to design a game

Think about it, the casul who maybe finishes ending A after like 2 weeks of off and on play will wonder why the fuck he spent 60 bucks on a 4 hour game
The autist who does the 100% run in one day will have to go through 90% of ending A content just to get to C which curbs replayability incredibly hard
Then they add the chapter select which is neat but it's clear they want you to delete your save at the end anyhow

All in all Automata is a MESS of a game which tried to do too much meta garbage and falls apart due to this

At least in the OG nier after ending A you feel somewhat satisfied

Just my thoughts
>>
>>388162174
But that's the desert dungeon is the only time you have to do a weird puzzle to advance. Every other dungeon is just fighting enemies.

Also, I would liken that to the underground factory as 9S where you have to get around hijacking enemies.
>>
>>388162618
On the other hand, ending A of Nier is utter trash, the only truly great ending is the last one D which requires you to suffer through the same game three times at least.

Meanwhile, Automata's second half is on the final route so it feels like a big pay-off leading into the final ending E. And you only have to play Automata twice. It's a better experience.
>>
>>388162930
It's a better experience in the context of finishing all available content but as a semi casual I think Nier does a better job at providing a good experience

I also just liked the combat overall more in the way it was visually presented
It feels like Platinum didn't go all the way, there's this disconnect that I can't quite explain but I always feel that it's just lacking
Perhaps it's also the selection of enemies and the lack of response when hitting them

The idea of fighting humans that bleed just makes it all the more engaging, which isn't something Automata has a lot of

There's also a distinct lack of likeable male characters, which sort of bothered me in a weird way
I only started liking 9S when he went completely nuclear during the tower ascend and at that point the game had maybe 30 minutes remaining
Thread posts: 47
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.