[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Anything like witcher 3, world/story/gameplay wise?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 85
Thread images: 14

File: dsw3.png (292KB, 489x330px) Image search: [Google]
dsw3.png
292KB, 489x330px
Love demon's souls, dark souls, bloodborne to death, mostly skill gameplay/atmosphere heavy games. Actually here are some of my fav games just to give better insight into taste. Silent Hill (1-4), original Yoshi's Island, Crash PS1 Trilogy, Tekken, Persona, Original Pokemon games, when it comes to newer games Shovel Knight, Hotline Miami. Some that come to mind along side souls games. So now that i got new pc, i decided to try witcher 3 expecting to not really like it due to gameplay still being 6.5/10, i ended up enjoy it so much i need more, story was really fun, nothing spectacular but enough to keep me intrested to the end. Love the graphics which is irrelevant usually, feels like i can breathe in the forests. So anything like witcher in terms of gripping story and maybe similar gameplay/fantasy theme?
>>
>>388153406
Dark souls is the rick and morty of video games
>>
File: images.jpg (7KB, 284x177px) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
7KB, 284x177px
>>388153406
>So anything like witcher in terms of gripping story and maybe similar gameplay/fantasy theme?
Well Witcher is literally bottom of the barrel unoriginal garbage with bad gameplay and writing, so you've got nowhere to go but up.
>>
>>388154005
I was the first to trash it, as i said, intresting enough to keep me intrested till the end. Its the combo of all the aspects that made it so fun. If there is anything that might grip me as w3 did, i wanna hear what it is, i dont care about skyrims and crap which google gives me.
>>
>>388153815
Rick and Morty is The Great Gatzby of music.
>>
Pre-death bump
>>
>>388154343
play krondor
>>
>>388153815
A great piece of entertainment ruined by the fanbase?
>>
>>388153406
you did play TW1 and 2 right?
>>
>>388153406
Daily reminder

BW/HS > 2 > 3 > 1
>>
>>388158484
No, i was thinking of going back and playing first two. I dont know how they hold up, but they look intresting. And dont worry about why i did not story wise, if i was heading expecting the game to like it, i would read books first and then play all 3 games but it was consistantly brought up that i dont really need to read anything first or go in order, even devs removed 3 from the name pre release to let everyone know they can play it without playing first two.
>>388157884
I dont have much expirience with older pc rpgs, but i am willing to give it a try and graphics/older mechanics do not bother me.
>>
File: 20900_2014-03-02_00009.png (2MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
20900_2014-03-02_00009.png
2MB, 1920x1080px
>>388158813
shame. SHAME!
>>
>>388153815
Nah, R&M is more like battlefield.
>>
>>388159450
If you are "TW1 and 2" anon, i will play them dont worry. Still would like similar games to w3, once i get into something i grip it till im done and then play nothing for half a year or more because i cant find anything i like.
>>
File: 1457715823717.jpg (257KB, 800x1200px) Image search: [Google]
1457715823717.jpg
257KB, 800x1200px
>>388159860
you said you already played SH1-3. try Max Payne 1-2 and 3. 1-2 have fucking great atmosphere as well as great TPS gameplay. 3 is fun, but is a step down in everything except graphics and arguably music.
can't really think of much that is similar to the witcher series and a match in quality though.
there are a bunch of great cRPG games though.
I can spitball some games from different genres if you'd like though.
>>
>love the Souls games OP mentioned, got platinum trophy in each one
>tried to get into Witcher 3
>just couldn't enjoy it

What's wrong with me??
>>
>>388160661
souls games feature gameplay more than story and atmosphere.
witcher games feature story and atmosphere more than gameplay.
some people enjoy both, some people like one over the other, some people just like to shitpost anything that is remotely popular.
>>
>>388161017
>witcher
>better atmosphere than souls
No?
>>
>>388161461
yes.
>>
>>388154005
is the betrayal collection worth buying on steam?
>>
>>388160354
Go for it since i cant promise to like anything you guys say, especially someone who easly dislikes things, so i will try the games and see what sticks.
>>388160661
OP here, i will try to illustrate how it went for me. Tried dark souls 1 on pc long ago, tense gameplay in the beginning made me wanna give up as much as it made me wanna beat it, i thought i will never learn, 5 hours later im at gargs and addicted. After playing through all souls games and bb i see witcher, dislike gameplay, dislike heavy story, still give it a try after ignoring it for 2 years. Suddenly i wanna know how the game ends and keeps me intrested from beginning to the end, gameplay was really disappointing, the action part but by the last third of the game i was enjoying it more as i got the grip of it. Maybe it will encourage you to try, if not, i understand since i know myself.
>>
>>388161461
>>388161613
OP again. For me, souls touches my soul heh, atmosphere in the games is top tier and inexplicably good, those who played it and loved it understand, but souls is a full package, its very special. Witcher is totally different. Witcher had atmosphere like i was in a european fantasy world full of life. Like i truly had an important mission full of mistery with all these living character surrounding me. Both had great atmosphere, but totally different type of it, at least for me.
>>
>>388161694
The second game isn't very good, but idk, I guess?
>>
>>388162249
well they're both packed together into one game, not a bundle
What's the game like, is it a dungeon crawl?
>>
File: elric.jpg (220KB, 800x1085px) Image search: [Google]
elric.jpg
220KB, 800x1085px
>>388162169
>Witcher had atmosphere like i was in a european fantasy world full of life
You know the entire witcher franchise, books and all, is just plagiarized from another series right? And its not even copied well, they butchered it big time and it got even worse when it made the transformation into vidya.

Also, second recommendation after play Krondor is Gothic 2.
>>
File: krondmap.gif (88KB, 588x314px) Image search: [Google]
krondmap.gif
88KB, 588x314px
>>388162514
>What's the game like, is it a dungeon crawl?
It has dungeons, but it is mostly open world.
>>
>>388162529
>elric
oh, boy here we go. at least this reminds me of threads we used to have.
>>
>>388162529
look at this memelord faggot
>>
>>388162529
I have seen RazorFist's video, yes. I do not care tho, he did put me off to trying witcher aswell, maybe why i played it so late. When it comes to atmosphere i talked about, its the games, im not here for the story copyright, its not a deep story either, its just fun. I dont know what to read regarding elric stuff so you can recommend something, that art kinda makes me wanna read something. Gothic 2 is something i was eyeing, so i guess i gotta give it a try now.
>>
>>388162680
well I put it in my wishlist cause the art looks great, like oldschool fantasy book covers and not trash digital art like i
>>
>>388163161
*like in Baldur's Gate I meant to say
>>
>>388153406
Gothic 1 and 2. You have to play 1 though for a while at least. If you like the world building and quest structure and get used to the combat then you're ok to finish it or go into 2 which is the best game ever made
>>
>>388163158
>RazorFist
who
>>
>the same 2 fags still desperately trying to meme Gothic this hard
>>
>>388153406
Not really ANYTHING like Witcher, but if you are looking for some heavier storytelling and strong atmosphere, you might want to look into the Icepick Lodge games:
The Void
Pathologic
and Marble Nest.

The last one is just a short "prototype" of a remake of Pathologic, it's free on Steam, takes about two hours to finish. Pathologic is a really old and really flawed game, but Marble Nest alone should give you a good idea of whenever the remake might appeal to you.

Much less similar in tone and story-telling, much much more similar in gameplay and world-building is the Gothic series. Gothic 1 and 2, to be specific. And arguably Risen 1.

You also might consider looking into Stalker series. And then there is another Ukraine game, called Cryostasis, which has pretty lackluster gameplay but seriously quite amazing story and atmosphere.

>>388163158
RazorFist is just a literal retard. The similarities even in the original stories (which are in many ways quite different from the games) are absolutely not similar beyond the most superficial levels. You might as well claim that Sapkowski ripped off Mushi-shi and Mononoke while you are at it.
>>
>>388163605
spotted the ass blasted slav
>>
>>388153406
Old CRPGs like Icewind Dale, Baldur's Gate 1+2, and Planescape Torment are your best options.
>>
>>388163697
Spot the lazy shitposter. Seriously, can't you at least put some effort into your baits?
>>
>>388163567
Edge of the earth rock star wannabe game reviewer and more. Saw that and few more videos due to him being posted here.
>>
>>388163789
dude, i know you're a slav shill. its okay. germany is going to remove you soon to make room for refugees so shill it up while you can
>>
>>388163697
I'll assblast you
>>
>>388163929
>implying Germany isn't removing itself
>>
>>388163697
pathologic and the void are great games though. eat shit.
>>
>>388163605
As i just wrote here >>388163851 im not a fan of razorfist but i did see that video and it made me wonder. I also can say i did not completely believe him as things he mentioned seemed to revolve around main character's looks/background so its borderline irrelevant due to infinite amount of characters with same looks and background in both games and other media. Im not sure what to believe but in the end it doesn't matter, i enjoyed witcher 3 which was unexpected and now i want more, but i guess i will have to go with witcher 1 and 2 first. Gothic 2 always seemed intresting and now i wanna try it more but i see some negative views aswell so we shall see.

I wanted to try The Void and Pathologic, im still unsure if i should try pathologic original or wait for remake, it also gave me impression that it has insane amount of dialog that didnt grip me from what i checked, very vague look at the game but still. Overall defintiely wanna lean more on medieval fantasy atm. I can go for anything but this seems to be what i yearn for.
>>
>>388161613
No. Dark souls maybe, but atmosphere in demon's and bloodborne far surpasses that of the witcher.
>>
>>388162529
>fantasy franchise
>plagarize
>>
>>388165148
Stop feeding him.
>>
>>388159728
leave this board
>>
>>388165481
when you come to los angeles you can suck my cock
>>
File: 1451310805860.png (2MB, 1900x2091px) Image search: [Google]
1451310805860.png
2MB, 1900x2091px
>>388164475
>with same looks and background in both games and other media
It's actually the characters and most fundamental plot systems that are so different that the comparison is laughable. The rest is more an issue of incredibly basic tropes. Again: it's really fun to watch the two shows I mentioned - Mushi-shi and Mononoke, which have absolutely fuck all to do with either, using the same "Not an old man but his hair is white/silver, his eyes are changed, they use medicine/potion for transformation, fight supernatural and are bad-ass" elements: it's simply because those things actually play on some really, REALLY ancient mythological notes we have.

As for The Void, go for it. It's HARD AS NAILS though, don't be surprised. First few runs will probably end very tragically.
Pathologic is a thougher nut to crack. You can pirate and try the old one if you just want to see what it is like.
Or you can just play the Marble Nest thing, it's for free. Decide based on that.
Just a fair warning, Marble Nest does not allow you to save - you have to finish it in one sitting. And it's a prototype, not a demo. It's not polished for shit.
And last thing, if you do decide to give the original Pathologic a try, I recommend reading pic related. It's a good introduction.
>>
>>388158813
>No, i was thinking of going back and playing first two. I dont know how they hold up,
Witcher 1 is the ONLY good game in the series.
TW2 is the beginning of extreme consolization and butchering.

I have no idea why fuckers like you start with the LAST game in series.
>>
>>388166816
And this, children, is how you tell someone who does not play games, he just parrots general attitudes of others on the internet to make himself look cool and edgy and part of the grown-up gang.
>>
>>388166816
Apologize you sinner, since you lied and said "guys like you", if you knew me you would know i never did such a thing before and this is a first and i noted my reasons in texts above. Will play the first two and judge.
>>388166592
Wanted to watch both of those shows before i got burnt out on anime, now i pick up a seasonal show and hope its good. Had to mention that due to you using them as an example. The Void looks so intresting but its hard to just simply start due to me not having clear understanding of it based on trailers. So i will see. Pathologic on the other hand seems a bit lovecraftian, if thats fair to say? And im still unsure if i should play original or wait for remake, heard both sides and my close friend is in the same boat, thinking if he should play original or wait for remake and play once he gets free time for games. I will probably decide after witcher 1 and 2. Pic is also saved, thanks.
>>
>>388167110
And this, children, is how you detect a shill: he does not play the games, he just parrots generic textbook anti-criticism arguments his boss gave to him.
>>
>>388167619
>Apologize you sinner, since you lied and said "guys like you",
I have not lied, you religious nut case.
Witcher 2 had been out for years and received giant praise around the globe when I first time popped in Witcher 1, and I loved it to bits. Played it twice in a row, and then moved to TW2.

It turned out to be one of THE biggest lies and buyer's remorses I had ever experienced.
>>
File: 20900_2014-03-01_00015.png (1MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
20900_2014-03-01_00015.png
1MB, 1920x1080px
>>388164901
have to disagree. love each of those games though.
>>
>>388168016
each game in the series is good.
1>>2>3
>>
>>388168357
Witcher 2 and 3 are not.
>>
>>388168157
>religious nut case
>taking sinner seriously
wew lad
>>
>>388167619
>Wanted to watch both of those shows before i got burnt out on anime, now i pick up a seasonal show and hope its good.
If there is one anime you should watch in your life, regardless of how burned out or just principally against the medium, I'd say it's Mushi-shi. Mononoke (I mean Mononoke the sequel to Bake-neko, not Mononoke-hime) is not that amazing. Originally, it was just one of three or four archs of an experimental project, called "Ayakashi" - which was series that took three modern anime directors and asked them to make take an unusual spin on traditional Japanese horror. One of the three parts was very positively recieved mostly for it's unusual art, and eventually got it's own series.
It's visually interesting, but not ground breaking.

Mushi-Shi, on the other hand, is just damn beautiful, start to finish. At least the first season, I admit I did not find the courage to watch the second as it was not so well critically recieved.

>The Void looks so intresting but its hard to just simply start due to me not having clear understanding of it
Well, odds are you won't have a clear understanding of it when it's over either. It's completely out of the left field: has very little to compare itself to, mechanically and story-wise.

It's intentionally confusing. You just have to roll with it for a while and soak up the atmosphere.

>a bit lovecraftian, if thats fair to say?
It is inspired by two authors who were inspired by Lovecraft (Borges and Bradbury). But I'd say comparing it to Kafka is more accurate than comparing it to Lovecraft. It's "magical realism" technically speaking. More surreal, meditative, philosophical, dark-humored, less cosmic horrors.

>And im still unsure if i should play original or wait for remake
That is a question that nobody will give you a good answer - not until the remake is out, and probably not even after. You just have to roll the dice.
>>
>>388168016
Shills being particularly well known for their criticality towards games in their own franchises, right?

Look you fucking retard: all three of those games are equally as flawed, and equally as good in their own ways. NOBODY who actually really followed the series from the start would pretend like TW1 is the only good one, because everyone who actually played it, out of genuine interest, remembers how INSANELY flawed, and also how really shallow as an RPG it was. We loved TW1 but it was always a case of "mechanically it's awful, but god damn the atmosphere still makes it worth slogging through." It was an incredibly shallow RPG for it's era, and most of it poorly executed.

TW2 was arguably the weakest link, but it had some redeeming qualities.
TW3 is less unpolished (and less genuine at times too), but fundamentally, it's very much the same case as TW1: shallow, but beautiful as a piece of fiction.

Now please, you fucking faggot, go and amuse me with your great arguments how master race totally old school you are. I want to see how you defend TW1's combat or character progression as complex and rich. Seriously.
>>
File: t1-boxart.jpg (164KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
t1-boxart.jpg
164KB, 800x600px
>>388153406
>mostly skill gameplay/atmosphere heavy games
If you enjoy Stealth gameplay then you should DEFINITELY get Thief:Gold and Thief II, Thief:Deadly Shadows is fine, but it does really show that it was made for consoles, The Cradle level is still fucking amazing though. There are mods for the graphics so the transition to older graphics should be a lot easier. Once you get past the fact that it was made almost 20 years ago, you're in for a treat
>>
>>388168756
My friend has been watching mushishi and loving it, im still not ready to go back and pick up complete anime again, just not in the mood for it sadly. The reason i say sadly is because i feel like i lost something when i lost intrest in anime, hard to explain but i notice many go through it. Regarding mononoke, i know what it is, just never got around watching it, not sure i ever will :()

>The Void
Sounds good desu, just has to grip me, i am not saying this is similar but it sounds like my expirience with dark souls, where i was just soaking up atmosphere and trying to explain it why i loved it so much, but ofc it had the gameplay, vistas and just much more around it which made incredible package. I hope i give it a try next month after i go through everything else.

I see what you mean about Pathologic, it has a culty vibe, if you have seen season one of true detective, i really wouldnt mind something like that, clearly not exactly and game is older than the show but in terms of figuring out the mistery and possibly a cult around it from the images i have seen. Same as the void, will see next month, have saved all the recommendations and will go through them.
>>
>>388168505
but they are.
>>
>>388169868
Thief always looked great and im glad you brought it up, it actually might be the thing im looking for, we will see. Again older might even be better as i dont get excited by newer games as much. Silent hill 1 is my fav out of 4 games and if you know how that looks, its np, i think its actually great the way its blocky and all adds to the charm. And i only played through mgs3 when it comes to stealth games, not a big fan of the franchise clearly, but thief doesnt seem that similar so its np.
>>
>>388170360
It a different kind of stealth to stuff like mgs and dishonored. It's a lot slower, you HAVE to be patient and observant to complete the missions, which really helps to build up its atmosphere. The game is full of charm, and it shows that a lot of care was put into its design
>>
>>388169959
>hard to explain but i notice many go through it.
Dude, I used to watch anime daily, then I basically haven't watched a single one for some six years. Today, I usually can't finish a single episode.
Mushi-shi being one of the about for or five exceptions over the last few years. I think I rewatched most of it like four times too.

Here is an interesting thing about it: it does not have an overarching narrative. Each episode is basically one self-contained story. It has it's own universe and singular main protagonist, but otherwise it's just a chain of small, magical stories about people coexisting with spirits that are difficult to understand. Just watch a couple of episodes and you'll see what I mean. It's the kind of show you can watch one or two episodes, forget about it, and come back to it year later.

Though first two episodes - the very first one in particular - can be a little bit misleading. They are I think generally weaker than most of the show.

>if you have seen season one of true detective, i really wouldnt mind something like that,
It's interesting that you mention that, because True Detectives always reminded me of Twin Peaks, and Twin Peaks does fall into the same genre as Pathologic - aformentioned Magical Realism. There are some other somewhat interesting similarities, though Pathologic filters it through a lot of Planescape-like philosophy, and Slavic weird darkness.

It's not really about a cult through. There are far more weird things going on.
>>
File: images (26).jpg (16KB, 512x288px) Image search: [Google]
images (26).jpg
16KB, 512x288px
>>388168252
It's fine.
>>
>>388170697
What kind of setting is it, i know i can check this online but i can try and stay away from images and videos if i wanna check it out. Seems like more medieval type of deal?
>>
>>388170926
Thief 1 is a bit more medieval with some steampunk elements here and there. I don't want to spoil it for you, I'll just say that Thief 2 goes a lot more into the steampunk thing. Deadly Shadows feels like a different kind of game, maybe you'll enjoy it, maybe not, but it's different. I think it's pretty obvious but you should stay very far away from Thief 2014
>>
>>388170767
I would say i dropped off at the end of 2015 completely, still trying to watch some stuff and having a hard time continuing. And i would say i have some shows of my own that i feel like i can watch like you with mushishi, but, it being episodic does make it easier to consume so i might give it a try, there is a lot of recommendations in this thread so im a bit overwhelmed but i always get around to it, took me a year to play dark souls before i did and then it became one of my fav games of all time.

Been thinking about watching twin peaks, saw many episodes from season 1 on tv, multiple times, never actually sat down and watched the show and its one of my friend's favorites so i probably should. Either way pathologic still seems like my type of game so i guess its gonna get played one version or another. Slavic weird darkness tho, thats kinda funny.
>>
>>388171203
Yes, 2014 im not touching, and steampunk sounds great, i dont think i ever actually played a great steampunk game.
>>
>>388171664
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bjDkRpDMuwk
Also, listen to the game "soundtrack", it's mostly atmospheric noises, since you enjoyed DaS, which has almost no music, I don't think that should bother you at all
>>
>>388172187
Indeed, silent hill aswell with its noises, all of them have great music for appropriate parts tho. I dont need anymore convincing, i will try thief for sure. If i like it and end up finishing will pick up second and maybe third.
>>
File: The_Sword.jpg (59KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
The_Sword.jpg
59KB, 640x480px
>>388172436
Pure unadulterated ludo.
>>
>>388172436
I hope you enjoy it man. I got it last December for the first time, so no nostalgia here. Play it in a dark room and headphones are an absolute must, sound is your "radar" in this game
>>
>>388172704
>ludo
As in "crazy"?
>>388172768
Thanks bro, sounds good.
>>
>>388157950
>a good piece of entertainment that ruined itself by continuing too long and was also ruined by its fanbase
ftfy
>>
>>388172972
Ludo is play in latin. It would be the equivalent of /tv/'s kino, I think
>>
>>388173290
Intresting, we say kino for cinema where i live and ludo is crazy. But i googled ludo and intresting how it gave exact explanation of what your screenshot conveyed.
>>
File: The-Dark-Project.jpg (801KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
The-Dark-Project.jpg
801KB, 1920x1080px
>>388172972
Ludo as in the most immersive experience you'll get your hands on, the way you tackle your objectives in Thief is left almost entirely up to the discretion of the player. It can be a bit overwhelming at first but once you get the feel for it it's like nothing else.

II is much better since it's a lot more focused on actual thievery than I.
>>
>>388153815
fpbp
>>
>>388173681
>II is much better since it's a lot more focused on actual thievery than I
Imo 1's high points are much better than II's, although II is a lot more consistent and doesn't have 1's last few levels kind of bullshit
>>
>>388175562
Stuff like Thieve's Guild, Return to the Haunted Cathedral, Lost City, Escape! and Into the Maw of Chaos bring down the highpoint like The Sword and Assassins for me. They're either too big (Thieve's Guild/Lost City), too long in terms of objectives (Return to the Haunted Cathedral) or just straight up bad (Escape!/Maw of Chaos). II has some bad missions too but nothing like those ones that makes me not want to replay it.
>>
>>388153406
you can try hellblade senua, it's a linear game action game though but its 7 hours of straight atmosphere and tension
Thread posts: 85
Thread images: 14

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.