[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What does /v/ think about fast travelling? casual filter or necessity

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 226
Thread images: 24

File: 900x.jpg (65KB, 900x415px) Image search: [Google]
900x.jpg
65KB, 900x415px
What does /v/ think about fast travelling?

casual filter or necessity
>>
first of all immersion killer, along with quest markers and other HUD elements
>>
>>388137296
this
>>
It's fine. You don't have to use fast travel if you don't want to.

Most people have lives. Not everyone wants to spend hours of game time walking everywhere.
>>
>>388137228
Fast travel is good but it needs to cost money or have a dedicated spot to do it. The donkey carts that would take you from city to city were good
>>
>>388137228
morrowind did it good
>>
>>388137228
When so much of a game requires you to return to the same location, and the locations themselves are spaced so far apart, then fast travel does become a necessity, but it should be done with mechanics that only allow it in circumstances. Things like carriages at the major holds is a good example of fast travel that is fine; opening your map and picking any marker is not.
>>
HZD was quite adept at it. You were limited to the amount of bags you could craft at the time.
>>
File: based_and_white.jpg (98KB, 1000x800px) Image search: [Google]
based_and_white.jpg
98KB, 1000x800px
It should be done by actual services or areas in-game. Not through a menu desoo
>>
>>388137296
>muh immersion
>>
I liked MGSV fast travel
>>
>>388137228
the cart system was a really nice way to implement immersive fast travel to hubs and not to everywhere
they should have not added the fast travel anywhere feature
>>
File: IMG_1182.jpg (6KB, 146x125px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1182.jpg
6KB, 146x125px
>play Oblivion
>get out of the sewers
>can already fast travel to all the cities
>>
>>388137228
depends
>>
>>388137228
Ideally you should be able to have fun traversing the map, its like having a car in GTA makes it fun to drive from point a to point b, just make it fun to actually move across the map.
>>
>>388137228
Gotta go fast
>>
Fast travel is a decent mechanic with a cost behind it or in only a few spots. It's good if used properly, but overuse kinda ruins it.
>>
>>388137568
Of course it's an issue, but fast travel is a lazy solution. Consider a faster mode of transportation alongside a denser world, or some other solution which rewards legitimate travel and exploration.
>>
File: 111111111.jpg (24KB, 460x325px) Image search: [Google]
111111111.jpg
24KB, 460x325px
fast travel is great.
just imagine walking from one place to another in witcher 3's empty world.
>implying items
yeah fucking great open world content and a real reason to explore for some shitty items you can get anywhere.
>>
>>388137834
Mgsv had fast travel?
Oh yeah I guess it did never mind
>>
Daggerfall had fast travel kiddos
>>
>>388137680
in the base game they should have at least added carriages to every major town (winterhold, rorikstead, etc) instead of just at the main holds
I don't want to walk my ass in the bone chilling snow from windhelm to winterhold every time
>>
>>388137228
Remove it.
If fast travel wasn't a thing people would realize how much of the content is just shitty fetch quests and the game would tank. It's only a "necessary" convenience because there's so much pointless backtracking.
>>
File: 1472881377166.png (2MB, 1439x1079px) Image search: [Google]
1472881377166.png
2MB, 1439x1079px
>>388137228
I think we kill fast travel at the root and stop creating big open world games that are empty as shit.
>>
Fast travel is good if you have to discover the areas first and it's setup as a service
>>
I don't think anything is wrong with it. I guess they could add a cooldown function for you autists.

Skyrim is an alright game, but its world is pretty lifeless - that's the main issue I had with it after more and more places lit up the map: Exploration got boring. Perhaps I missed a couple of locations, but I wasn't in a mood to search between all the nooks and crannies.
>>
>>388137932
This.

Prey does it really well, by making the exterior a form of "fast travel" since it's connected to everything, but you need to unlock the doors from the inside. Not to mention it's just a really well connected space regardless of the exterior.
>>
I used to argue against it.

Then I played Dragons Dogma
>>
>>388137296
>muh immurshion
Fuck off
>>
>>388137228
I don't really like direct fast travelling like in Skyrim but I don't mind other types as much.
>>
>>388138331
and?
>>
>>388138074
Agreed, though I think Hearthfire did something to that extent, my memory is a little foggy. They should have also had carriages actually travel down specific routes so you could always board one and have it take you to the destination it was heading to if you were out in the wilderness or something.
>>
>>388137296
fast traveling should be allowed only with a cost like using in-game carriages or something. I don't mind map and markers but again I'd like to have a more challenging gameplay so that you actually need a copy of a map to have a vague idea of where the fuck are you in the world. I like realism in games but what I like the most is a challenging gameplay that does not guide you like a mongoloid
>>
>>388138452
I had a mod that would actually take you on a ride instead of just teleporting you, but I had to remove it since the carriages bugged out half the time and crashed the game
>>
>>388137228
It wouldn't be necessary if devs stopped making the main character move at a snail's pace just to pad the game length and stopped making you backtrack for everything.
>>
>>388138447
Running everywhere sucks ass
>>
>>388137228
I llike fast travel between dedicated points, but other than that no.
>>
>>388137228
Would be unnecesary if travelling was fun at all in open world games. But shit gets repetitive no matter what, and becomes a huge waste of time.
>>
Fantasy games like TES actually could've made something like custom fast travel points (think magical portals) that the player could decide when and where to place. Used as a resource. With the ability to pick it up and place it somewhere else.
>>
>>388137228
>needs to have limitations
>needs an in-game explanation
>should not be free (should cost money or maybe time like in Fallout)

or better yet, just make the map not as large (see Gothic) or make traversing it fun (driving in GTA) to remove fast travel completely
>>
>>388137228
Fast travel anywhere at any time is pure casual. Morrowind-style fast travel is infinitely better
>>
Makes sense in a game like Skyrim with a huge world filled with mostly nothing interesting
>>
>>388137934
This. Open world games can fuck off in general actually.
>>
>>388137742
you get an infinite fast travel item pretty early in the game.
>>
File: 1436634477097.gif (1MB, 250x233px) Image search: [Google]
1436634477097.gif
1MB, 250x233px
>>388137878
>play Oblivion
>don't even know what fast travel is until around level 30

Did the same thing in Skyrim with the sprint button.
>>
>>388137228
Useful for a second or third playthrough
>>
File: 1435932540546.gif (768KB, 500x540px) Image search: [Google]
1435932540546.gif
768KB, 500x540px
>>388137228
Fast Travel in modern games is done wrong. Bethesda fucked it up by letting you fast travel everywhere to appease to instant gratification fags. What they should have done is only allowed you to fast travel between major cities and some larger town but require people to travel by foot/horse everywhere else.

Fast travel should also cost gold via boats, carriages, magic runes/spells/platforms, flight or hitching rides. No, it shouldn't cost an absurd amount but it should cost people who abuse the system and require some kind of resource. The idea that you can instantaneously transport to a place at zero cost is absolutely immersion breaking and a constant reminder you're playing a lazy made video game.

Then they need to balance the locations of fast travel points with what's around them so there's never a painfully boring, incredibly long trek to a necessary place but also, assure you're not so close to something that you're basically wasting the landscape you painstakingly crafted by everyone zipping around it.
>>
>>388138814
DD already does this, Morrowind sort of does it
>>
Hard to say that having fast travel is worse when it doesn't force you to use it so having the option is better than not, if you care enough about immersion it's your own fault if you can't resist using it.

I can't imagine not using fast travel nowadays though especially with a backlog..but if you had a amazing game your in no rush at all to beat then knock yourself out.

I do remember playing Fallout 3 the first time and first Bethesda game and being in awe and intimidated by the size of the world and freedom and how that feeling was lessened when I discovered you can fast travel. Maybe one day they will scrap it for a flight mechanic and power armour in Fallout 5 will be more like uh... whatever that Bioware game shown at E3 to st least offer a faster way of traveling.
>>
>>388137568
If it's present then developers will design the game with that in mind, making avoiding it an absolute pain in the ass.
>>
>>388137296
>"""""immersion""""" meme
Underage fuck off
>>
>>388138728
THen get some of those port crystals and set up your own fast travel points.
>>
>>388138281
>but you need to unlock the doors from the inside
Wow, so like... Unlocking a location to fast travel to?
Wow, so different, breaking ground A+++++
>>
>>388139218
nice, haven't played Dragon's Dogma long enough to get to that point
>>
>>388139236
>Misunderstanding "immersion" in the context of gameplay by using a child's logic.
>Call someone else underage.
>>
>>388137228
Im thinking of replaying skyrim with graphics overhauls, light mods and no hud. I wanna feel MUH IMMERSION
>>
>>388137296
if it kills your immersion then don't fucking use it
>>
>>388139207
>Well just don't use it duhhhhhh
Incoming
>>
necessity, if your world is fuckhuge and your maximum travel speed is garbage
>>
>>388139449
whatre the best overhauls? i play on a laptop so nothing that will fry my toaster
>>
>>388137228
It's mostly underage that hate it. Fast travel has been a staple of gaming since the first Super Mario game.
>>
>people seriously replying with "fast travel should cost resources".
>the player should have to waste in game resources to not have it waste our fucking time with traveling, i.e., glorified loading screens.

What's next? Pay to skip cutscenes?
>>
File: 1449353420636.jpg (16KB, 324x271px) Image search: [Google]
1449353420636.jpg
16KB, 324x271px
Fast travel is fantastic, but having too many fast travel points is bad and just means that the game designer made the world too boring to cross or didn't make move speed high enough.
>>
>>388137228
there is literally nothing wrong with fast travel, all it does is alleviate boredom
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (40KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
40KB, 1280x720px
>>388139641
>What's next? Pay to skip cutscenes?

not a bad idea, actually
>>
>>388139387
>Not having the cognitive ability to separate the in-game world from the game's systems
>Somehow not underage
>>
>>388137228
i love it. in skyrim you could use carriages(to travel to major cities) or get a horse to travel around. is it really such a problem to not use the menu? sounds like people have issues not selecting an icon on the map and in 2 clicks be in their destination.
>>
Fast travel is only necessary in games which think having a large empty map is a good thing
>>
>>388137228
Since their games are filled with trash quests it would be a fucking chore having to walk everywhere to do many of them.
>>
>>388137296
Nope. Games are too big in scale. You'd spend all your time running around.
>>
>normals want an ebin 'open world game' with crafting and all the other bloat
>use fast travel
Just disgusting.
>>
>>388137228

its the "deus ex machina" of game design
>>
Why couldn't you just mount dragons in Skyrim?
>>
It was one of the most rewarding and memorable moments when I can recall when I got the lordvessel and fast-traveling in Dark Souls.
>>
>>388137228
Skyrim even had stagecoaches around the major cities, working as fast traveling should. Why they added the boring "player can teleport anywhere" fast travel I have idea when the other one exists.
>>
>>388139980
that would have required effort
>>
I absolutely love in-game, lore-friendly fast travel. It's gotten to the point where I mod it in if I'm capable of doing so.
>Skyrim
>Fast travel mod removes immediate traveling and replaces it with pulled carts
>You can sit in the back and watch the scenery pass by
>Acts like you're moving yourself so bandits and dragons can ambush you
>You can jump off and fight the threats or hope the horse is fast enough to not die as it runs away
>Capable of shooting arrows or magic while on the cart

In New Vegas, the mods aren't as great since they disable fast travel and install their own markers.
>>
>>388139937
That's what mounts and vehicles are for. See World of Warcraft or The Witcher 3 as some examples.
>>
>>388137228
In Skyrim its a choice to use it or not so who cares.
I personally like the way Morrowind did it best.
>>
Depends on the game.

Usually, I will try to explore as much as I can and then start to use fast travel mid way through to speed stuff up. Granted, I kind of like the Morrowind idea of marking and recalling better (especially with mods that allowed you to do multiple). It feels a lot more lore friendly then just choosing something on a map. I think there is value in exploring and finding stuff early on, but once you have been to a area multiple times, it gets old having to backtrack every time.

Also a side note, fast travel has been in elder scrolls games since the beginning and due to how terrible and buggy arena is, it was pretty much necessary. Daggerfall also took forever if you never used fast travel, and playing it by exploring was next to impossible unless you had a ton of time to kill.
>>
>>388139953
I wouldn't put it quite like this, but people do want a huge game world but devs can't make a huge interesting game world within reasonable time constraints so you end up with a lot of empty space, thus necessitating fast travel
>>
Works when done properly.
Make it so that you can only use it when in cities. As if you need to find the carriage/bus/plane guy who will take you there, know what I mean?
>>
>>388140029
Because Bethesda wants the normie bux. Its about catering to the casual.
>>
File: 1503605601709.jpg (25KB, 288x467px) Image search: [Google]
1503605601709.jpg
25KB, 288x467px
>>388139325
>One similar part to fast traveling invalidates everything else
>>
Why don't devs just shrink the empty space so the only things left is interesting content?
>>
>>388138281
Right, so you couldn't just skip to anywhere you haven't been the first time you're outside the station, dumbass. If you can't see difference between actual fast travel via picking a point on a map and fast travel via taking shortcuts you unlock, you're absolutely retarded.
>>
If developers could make linear games without them being hallway simulators we wouldn't need a dead open world and fast travel
But they can't and won't because it would take too much time and money since most people working on games these days are creatively bankrupt
>>
>>388140480
Now I'm retarded, meant to reply to >>388139325
>>
>>388137812
>>388138347
>>388139236
i don't understand, immersion is very desirable trait in video games, if you don't care for it, then you're the reason gaming have went to shit.
>>
>>388140441
Then it wouldn't be an open world game :^D
>>
>>388140441
People would just complain "How can this village exists ten meters away from a bandits lair, which to be fair, is a good question.
>>
>>388140116
Both of which have fast travel
>>
>>388140441
A large map is more marketable
>>
Fast Travel could've been implemented beautifully in Skyrim if there was some sort of Dragonlord form (like Vampire Lord and Werewolf forms) that gives you wings and allows you to fly.
>>
>>388140441
Even if it's good content you're not gonna give a shit after traveling through it back and forth twenty times.
>>
>>388140784
WoW has fast travel to cities, at a cost. Witcher 3 has fast travel between towns and larger areas. Not even close to the level of fast travel you find in Skyrim.
>>
>>388137228
necessity i dont want to fucking walk to the same town over and over again, i like dragons dogma fast travel
>>
>>388140751
>How did this Vault get built fifteen feet away from my house without my knowledge of it?
>>
>>388137228
Morrowind did it right.
>>
>>388141110
TODD!!
>>
Being able to travel anywhere instantly = bad, and sign of a terrible world
Being able to travel to only a few places like bigger towns instantly = can be good or bad, but most of the time it's pretty good.
Being able to travel a lot faster by using some vehicle or power found later in the game = pretty good
Not being to fast travel or use fast vehicles = only good if the world is interesting enough.
>>
File: index.png (2KB, 225x225px) Image search: [Google]
index.png
2KB, 225x225px
>>388137228
fast travel to my dick fag
>>
>>388137228
its an optional mechanic where everyone wins.
casuals can use it and zip all over the place
everyone else can just ignore it and have fun

what games really need is more options to toggle whatever you want on or off instead of being so rigid. you can either have a simplified journal that says go to x and thrown up a way point or a more verbose journal that only hints at where you need to go and there's no compass or markers and you have to talk to people. sure beth games have mods for this but other games aren't nearly as mod friendly.

developers who actually give a shit would solve so many problems.
>>
>>388140797
But a medium-sized world filled with interactivity and uniqueness would sell better though.
At most, large empty fields would actually be interesting too if there's only one or two in-game as they would be a rarity instead.
>>
File: Uhhhh.jpg (60KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
Uhhhh.jpg
60KB, 1280x720px
Instant fast travel or some fast travel mechanic is practically a necessity for non-trivially sized open world games. You can fill an open world game with an interesting content, but that content is then discovered and the place where it was located becomes non-interesting, meaning the player doesn't want to trek through it again after so many scenic trips, meaning you need fast travel. Or you can fill your open world game with endless respawning 'interesting' content or shallow random events, in which case you've made a bad game.

We're at the point where even GTA games need fast travel taxis because nobody wants to travel the entire map of GTA V to complete one base jump. It's boring. Nobody has a solution to it. These threads never have any concrete solutions beyond "make more interesting content".
>>
Early Final Fantasys did it right, make the player walk everywhere at first then give them an airship half way through
>>
>>388141326
>where everyone wins

Except of course that the world is designed with fast travel in mind.
>>
In Arcanum fast traveling was either by train or by teleporting. I liked that.
>>
>>388140108
>Fast travel mod removes immediate traveling and replaces it with pulled carts
>You can sit in the back and watch the scenery pass by
>Acts like you're moving yourself so bandits and dragons can ambush you
>You can jump off and fight the threats or hope the horse is fast enough to not die as it runs away
>Capable of shooting arrows or magic while on the cart
Is this an actual mod? if so whats it called
>>
>>388137228
"in game" fast travel are ok (i.e. you talk to a guy, hop on his cart, you pay him and he gives you a ride -> time skip -> you arrive)
ui fast travel are shit, especially if they allow you to travel to undiscovered location.
>>
>>388141491
>Take the airship away again
Alternatively
>Make the player walk everywhere
>Teleport them to a new world
>>
>>388141489
If cars could fly like that San Andreas cheat you wouldn't need fast travel.
>>
>>388140607
Ignore the casuals, they dont have a real argument so they just say "FAK OFF!!!"
>>
>>388140441
It's because,as >>388140797 said,the world would become too small and ruin immersion.

And there are also aoe damage and projectiles,both of which would make a small open game world become a warzone that crashes even the strongest pcs.
>>
Games should do it like Fallout 1 and 2 with an animation and random encounters.
>>
>>388137228
necessity unless the game has locales that are actually interesting to travel between. in the case of skyrim, it was the same ol' shit every 20 feet so trying to get from point a to point B by walking or on horseback is just a fucking chore.
>>
>>388139937
That means the game has bad design. Todd opted to "fix" it by doing what everyone else is doing, fast travel.
>>
In most open world games I almost never fast travel in the beginning parts when everything is close together. Even more so with Breath of the Wild. I typically only fast traveled to use the goddess statue or fairy fountain in Kakariko because finding other ones was annoying.
I don't remember using fast travel much at all in Red Dead Redemption until after I had opened up Mexico.
>>
Some games do fast travel right by implementing it into the actual gameplay. Ocarina of Time, Majora's Mask, and Windwaker do it well.
You play a song with your magic instrument to open up the fast travel map. Also there isnt too many fast travel points.
>>
>>388141489
Just have a system where you can only fast travel if you get to a stagecoach/taxi/teleporter and you can only get to the other towns/streets/teleporters
>>
As long as they give an explanation as to why/how it's possible
In New Vegas you kinda just... teleport. No animation or nothing.
>>
>>388139467
this
>>
>>388142482
Same for elders scroll, you just kinda get there
>>
>>388142482
>>388142690
Doesn't time pass? It can be excused as 'you walked there'
>>
>>388142854
True but if there are a thousand Cazadors in the way then I doubt my guy would get through with a full inventory especially when I didnt level sneak.
>>
i put off fast traveling untill i burned myself out and then i fast travel everywhere
>>
File: 1441924096245.gif (1MB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
1441924096245.gif
1MB, 320x240px
>Click on map and teleport.
Gayer than aids.
>Have to use transportation like carriages, taxis, trains, etc.
Cool as fuck.

It made sense in Mad Max because you already had a car, though.
>>
>>388139467
>"don't use it" argument
stop excusing bad design
>>
Fast travel isn't a necessity if they actually make a way to travel that isn't painfully slow or annoying to do.

Either that or like others have said, just making the fast travel something like a taxi or carriage service is much better.
>>
>>388137228
>fast travel to location
>spawn directly in the middle of a conflict
What's the in-world rationale for this? Did you just idiot idiot dance right into a battlefield?
>>
>>388137228
It is like coke. It ends up making you feel like shit, but you get addicted to it all the same. You can't help feeling like not wasting time, so you are prone to using fast travel, but then you feel like you are barely playing the game so it dulls down the enjoyment.

I don't know if it is a personal problem, or something tons of people actually suffer through. I say fuck younger generations and get rid of fast travel. Maybe the reason they put fast travel into games is that they feel the need to make a map as big as they can for sales, and have no way to fill that map with any kind of decent content to make it where fast travel is unnecessary.

>muh big maps
>muh graphics
>muh movies
God damn young people ruining my hobby.
>>
>>388137228

fast travel is for when you run out of weed

true story
>>
>>388137228
Depends on the game.
>>
File: vivec.jpg (219KB, 494x622px) Image search: [Google]
vivec.jpg
219KB, 494x622px
>>388137842
>the cart system
another one for the Champ
>>
A necessary evil
If devs would stop designing open world trash and fill their maps with interesting things, fast travel wouldnt be so important
>>
File: Main_Quest_9F.0.jpg (297KB, 1459x818px) Image search: [Google]
Main_Quest_9F.0.jpg
297KB, 1459x818px
Why would people research into teleportation in a world where fast travel exists?
>>
fast traveling is OK in skyrim when doing the radiant quests required for thieves guild because you have to travel about 50-90+ times between cities
>>
>>388139226
This anon gets it. People say 'you don't have to use it', but as it is present, the game is designed with that in mind.

Take Just Cause, IIRC fast travel wasn't unlocked until late in the game, but hooking myself onto planes and car roofs and exploding shit on the way was so fun I didn't even care for it. Skyrim on the other hand, walking through boring fields only to fight the random bandit camp which is identical to every other camp in the game really got boring. Fast travelling is immersion breaking, but the travelling must be fun otherwise it's hard not to.
>>
>>388143889
Are you fucking for real? You can just walk asshole
>>
>>388137228
Good if you get stuck in a rock via a glitch or something.
>>
File: 1481297338753.jpg (19KB, 368x501px) Image search: [Google]
1481297338753.jpg
19KB, 368x501px
You can only fast travel to places you've already been to so what is the problem?
>>
>>388137228

I understand where fast travel complainers are coming from, but their priorities are pretty shit. Skyrim has bigger issues when it comes to difficulty than fast travel. Like being able to pause and heal instantly, poor difficulty balance, and broken perks. Skyrim doesn't allow you to fast travel in the middle of a battle, so I'm pretty content with that. Game would waste way too much of your time if you couldn't fast travel or had a really inconvenient way of doing so.
>>
I wish skyrim didn't have the radar screen, it makes the game piss easy. Although if you got rid of it there'd still be so few enemies that it wouldn't be very challenging keeping track of them, and the dungeons would still be so linear that it wouldn't be very difficult getting through them. Game for console kiddies.
>>
I like how dragons Dogma handled it, you get a few stones you can place around the world and you can use a consumable item you have to pay for to teleport to one of the spots you dropped your stone at.
>>
>>388141570
Or by ship, and if your character is too magic oriented you can't use trains or ships. It was a pretty nice system
>>
It's necessary for open world games. The extent at which it's allowed is a matter of debate.
>>
>>388145117
Dark arisen gave you an infinite stone and it still good
>>
>>388137878
>play Oblivion
>didn’t know there was a world map for 50 hours
>>
>>388145231
Only an infinite way stone though, not port stones. So you were still stuck only being able to fast travel to a few places at a time
>>
>>388137228
It's shit. A open world game should be designed in a way that is a rather small map but full of content. It should take more than 10 minutes to go across the map after unlocking the new areas using a proper vehicle like a horse, car or whatever depending on the game. Also it's important to have good vehicles, not like shitty horses that were just a little faster than walking in TES games.
>>
>>388137812
>>388137812
>>388138347
Immersion is pretty important. For example, Metro had a very good immersion because you could totally remove all the HUD elements and feel like you were really Artyom. Also it had GPS arrows and quest markers, but you saw them in your compass and notebook, instead of having a huge arrow blocking half your screen everytime.
>>
>>388137228
It's a convenience. If it's free it makes areas "fast travel over" zones, If there is a cost such as the wagon traveling in skyrim to towns it makes more sense. If you don't care for RP though the point is moot since you probably just want to finish quickly.
>>
>>388145820
Speaking of Metro, last light was so shit. I just finished it last week and every character was some boring stereotype.
>>
>>388145531
>It should take more than 10 minutes
It shouldn't take more than 10 minutes
>>
I think that having some sort of fast travel is absolutely necessary in open world games, but it should work through some kind of in-game logic instead of just being a magical "bam, instant free transport" button. It could be a realistic transportation method through carriages/train/whatever, teleportations spells like in Morrowind (Mark & Recall is genius), anything that makes travelling fast possible but still not entirely trivial. Something that saves you from constant long backtracking and return trips, but never subtracts from your need to explore the world for the first time and never lets you forget the sense of scale of the envinronment.

Needless to say, the modern Bethesda implementation of it is 100% pure shit, which is a shame considering that Morrowind had probably the best traversal options in a game ever.
>>
>>388146041
If you plat Metro for the story you are retarded. The good thing about the game is the atmosphere, like seeing the irradiated Moscow or the comfy Metro cities. Also Last Light gameplay was 100 times better than Metro 2033.
>>
>>388138082
This
>>
>>388144791
Postal 2 was able to detect when this happened and just moved you out of it automatically.
I don't know why that's not a common thing
>>
>>388141006
>WoW has fast travel to cities, at a cost
>implying boats/zepplins cost anything
>>
>>388137228
I don't understand the controversy.

If you don't like it, don't use it. Why does it need to be one of those things that declares a game to be good or bad?
>>
>>388137932
Walking is better in Skyrim since it fills your wayfarer perk.
>>
trick question, open world games are shit no matter what system of travel they have
>>
>>388137228
It's a casual filter. The Gen Z like to believe it's a huge waste of time to travel from point A to point B without instantly warping. But the kids are stupid and don't realize playing video games is in itself, a huge waste of time.
>>
>>388137228
I don't mind fast travel much when it has got to be earned.
>>
>>388146545
What do you recommend? Since you know something that everyone here doesn't.
>>
>>388137228
I think fast travel is fine, as long as it's in-game. Like you pay a carriage to take you to another town, or how Dragons Dogma did it.
>>
>>388137228
I personally don't mind it, but I remember /v/ having a shitfits when Dragon's Dogma or Dark Souls didn't give them fast travel right away.
>>
>>388137934
>fast travel is great.
>just imagine walking from one place to another in witcher 3's empty world.
Rather than implementing fast travel, they should have probably just made traversing the world actually fun.
>>
>>388137228
Necessary. Movement artificially extends time that could be have been used enjoying content. Most open world games have little amounts of content spaced out across the map.
>>388141521
Other way around. Fast travel was designed with the world in mind.
>>
>>388144257
this desu senpai
>>
I'm still a bit undecided, fast travel can be useful for those times where you're feeling a bit down and unmotivated and you just wanna get to the action part for your fill. I think the horse cart thing outside of cities was all that was necessary, although some of the more remote places might have needed some carts as well
>>
>>388146190
The sneaking was ridiculous in LL though. And no area stood out for me in LL, maybe the sea of shrimps for its ridiculousness but that's it.
>>
>>388146853
Even if they made it fun, the kids will find some way to bitch.
>>
>>388137228
Mount and Blade is the only game I've seen that did open-world well.
You get a vast, open map, but travel across it as a party, only entering 1st/3rd person view when something actually happens. The main benefit here is that I can cross long distances in a realistic time (where 10 seconds travel in real time represents 1 hour in game), while still remaining at 1 sec = 1 sec when it matters. And no boring treks across same-y landscapes just to reach my next objective.
I don't see any reason this system could not be applied to games like Skyrim, Fallout, etc.
>>
>>388137228
I never use it in any game for any reason ever.
>>
>>388144730
>game is too easy
>DUDE JUST TIE YOUR HANDS BEHIND YOUR BACK
>>
running around speed tree land, holding move forward, while occasionally killing a wolf, is not 'gameplay'
>>
>>388146853
yes, that was the point of my post.
>>
IMO, fast travel in any form becomes a lot more justifiable in games where you have limited inventory space or weight capacity, and no way to easily access any items that you store.
>>
Horizon does fast travel really well. You have to buy Fast Travel Packs in order to fast travel so you're rather limited in the amount of times you can fast travel since buying them in bulk isn't ideal. You need to use the resources necessary to buy them for other things as well.

Of course, this is all thrown out the window when you can eventually purchase a pack that allows infinite fast travels. One of my biggest gripes with the game.
>>
>>388147145
Thats right faggot, you can make all enemies damage sponges, disable the his, and add a shitton of mods to cater your retarded expectations, now fuck off
>>
>>388137228

If your game has "fast travel" it means your world is too big.

That's it.
>>
>>388147145
Not at all similar.
If a completely optional part of a game is ruining your immersion then just don't fucking use it.
>>
>>388147623
If your game doesn't have "fast travel" it means your world is too small.
>>
>Builds open world
>Open world suggests travel and adventure
>Lol no you don't want that
>Add in fast travel
>This takes to open world and allows players to skip existing in the world completely undermining the point of making an open world game to begin with
>No signs
>No landmarks
>The world structure makes no sense
>Mini Maps
>Waypoints
>Never have to plan out routes
>Never has to memorise and become familiar with the environment

People think this is good design. Video game open worlds are the equivalent of a Lord of the Rings story where Frodo is picked up from Hobbiton and dropped off at Mount Doom by the giant eagles. Absolute garbage.
>>
>>388147001
That's basically overworld and encounters like in every jrpg ever.
>>
>>388147623
Nah. It just means the developers understand not everyone wants or even has the time to walk everywhere.
>>
>>388147623
Mario Odyssey has fast travel and the wordls arent even THAT big.
>>
Fast travel needs to be implemented like in fallout or mount & blade, you move relatively fast but not instantly
>>
>>388147820
He has to go near Mount Doom first to unlock the fast travel there. But I guess he could sleep in his own bed every night.
>>
>>388147820
There are signs though
>>
>>388147708
It's not fucking optional if quests send you ten times back and forth across the whole map, it's almost as if it was expected to be used.
>>
>>388137228
I think it's worth keeping but there should be a big penalty for using meaning it cant be abused.

I think Rain World nailed it, you gain one passage (fast travel) for every achievement you earn, the chieves are not easy to earn either typically you get about 2 - 5 in a playthough so thats your fast travel limit.
>>
>>388147820
Why does everyone blame fast travel instead of devs who don't want to design a good open world? Their games would be unbearable without it.
>>
It should make sense within the world and shouldn't be in every single area. Diablo way points or Darksouls bonfires are the ideal implementation.
>>
>>388137296
I got so much more enjoyment out of Skyrim when I stopped using fast travel, so many new encounters, quests, location and treasure I found, Every so often I'll have another playthrough and I always find something new
>>
>>388137878
>play Oblivion for 30 minutes
>get bored because Skyrim is much better and i'd rather be playing that
>>
>>388148151
There's zero incentives to construct a good open world where the quest design facilitates traversal and pathfinding when developers decide to use fast travel at the beginning of development. This is common sense.
>>
>>388148068
>if quests send you ten times back and forth across the whole map
Examples?
>>
>>388137228
It's just a quality of life feature most of the time, so it's fine.
>>
>>388141006
Witcher 3 had fast travel points all over the place and were separated by like 2-3 minutes of riding max. Skyrim was no different really except there was nothing to explore in the wilderness between fast travel locations.
>>
>>388137228
As long as it's implemented in the actual gameplay it's OK. Morrowind for example had multiple ways to travel fast between alot of the main locations. These were built into the world rather than just an option to go somewhere quickly by pressing the "go here" button on the map.

The other way to do it is how earlier elderscrolls did it. You could fast travel but it would take resources, the amount estimated by how much you would be expected to use depending on distance travelled.
>>
>>388137296
This, is ok if is added when you are 80% through the game through.
>>
File: 1325531282321.gif (862KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
1325531282321.gif
862KB, 500x500px
>>388140512
hallways simulators suck. /v/ used to make fun of shitters like you, fucking faggot.
>>
Fast travel is just being respectful of the consumer's time.

Some of us have other shit to do. The rest of us can hoof it if we want to.
>>
>>388137784
This. I love how The Witcher pulled it off. When you can fast travel from any location it becomes so abusable and then the game becomes unfun
>>
>>388137228

Fast travel as I see it is a lazy game design. It's like a nigger rig to patch up your mistakes.
If you remove fast travel from most of games that have it it becomes tedious, obnoxious and boring.
I say most because there's some instances when it's not entirely true. For example fast travel in between checkpoints like in Dark Souls (which is not the same but w/e). It requires you to actually move around a little and often enough have some lore around it so immersion is not broken and shit.
Complete opposite of how it's done in recent Bethesda games, where player just teleported to a spot 5m away from the objective and be like "well you just walked here whatever teehee".
I tend to avoid games with fast traveling, it's kind of a "red flag" thing. And it's not like "oh you can just not use it ekks dee", because when game design revolves around using fast travel it's not the same when game designed properly and doesn't feel empty or tedious while playing w/o fast travel.

The way if should've been in Skyrim, for example, is carriages. You pay, you sit in carriage, you wait for it to reach the destination 5-10 times faster than it's done on foot. That way you actually can look around, take a note of some interesting places you want to investigate, get ambushed by bandits or fauna sometimes. Sounds pretty fucking amazing to me.
Side note: there should've been a scripted ambush attack on your way from Whiterun to Riften with rocks falling down and shit. If you've seen it, you know it.
But sadly hardware limitations happened (ahem consoles ahem) and that content were cut off.
>>
>>388148650
Shittons of quest lines in Skyrim
>>
>>388137680
>>388140029
>>388141716
>>388137842
People always say this but the carts in Skyrim are no better clicking where you want to teleport on the map.

What made Morrowind's fast travel good was how your knowledge of Morrowind's geography and how it operated was directly linked to your ability to travel.

IE, if you wanted to travel from Balmora to Dagon Fel, you have to know that Dagon Fel has no Silt Strider port so you have to first travel to a town where you can find a boat service, then, because there's no direct route, you have to know the locations of the coastal towns well enough to take either a clockwise or counter clockwise trip around Vvardenfell. And you could save money by knowing the most efficient route.

If you want to travel to Pelagiad, you have to know that it has an imperial shrine that you can divine intervention to from Seyda Neen, as it has no Silt Strider or boat port.

Having carts that take you to any major city is an ostentatious feature trying to appease older players but that doesn't actually add any depth to the game. In Morrowind, players were directly rewarded for learning the lay of the land. In Skyrim, it's so half-asses there's no reason to use it once you've been to every major city.
>>
>>388140607
I don't need immersion to have fun in a role playing game, I just have to have fun with whatever my role is
>>
>>388137228
if you are gonna have fast travel at least make it cost resources and integrate it into gameplay somehow. GTA games have the best fast travel system with taxis
skyrim is cancer
>>
File: not very bright.gif (225KB, 400x300px) Image search: [Google]
not very bright.gif
225KB, 400x300px
>>388149818
try reading that post again retard
>>
>>388137636
This. The Witcher 3 was also good in its implementation.

I have no problem with it when it only allows travel between set points that are far between each other.
>>
>>388146418
Literally the answer is autism in this case.
The fact other people play the game differently than they do confounds them to no end.
>>
>>388151950
Okay, then have fun walking all that way.
>>
I walk to locations in Skyrim but use fast travel to go back to the closest city, then take a caravan ride if I need to get to another.
Works out fine.
>>
>>388140751
I actually heard this was one of fallout 4's issues, but, shrink world "hurr durr, I can walk 3 mins from one place to another", keep world expanded "wtf gamer desinger dude? there's nothing fuckn hereeee!"
>>
>>388137228
For the vast majority of open-world games? Necessity. They need to fix how boring and shitty the overworld is before they should bother ditching the mechanic.
>>
File: 1490908429934.png (306KB, 944x670px) Image search: [Google]
1490908429934.png
306KB, 944x670px
>>388139825
>Thinks adding verbosity will cancel out the brain damage from generations of familial inbreeding.
>>
File: 1497241243733.jpg (124KB, 300x900px) Image search: [Google]
1497241243733.jpg
124KB, 300x900px
>>388154856
>Somehow knows about my family's inbreeding problem
How the fuck
>>
File: 1456783402877.jpg (152KB, 630x840px) Image search: [Google]
1456783402877.jpg
152KB, 630x840px
>>388137228
I have to work 50 hours a week so I'd hate to have to walk from Riften to Solitude for one quest then have to go to bed
>>
File: 1485287475936.jpg (9KB, 235x206px) Image search: [Google]
1485287475936.jpg
9KB, 235x206px
>>388137296
>immersion

faggot if you want your so desired "immersion" get the fuck out of your filthy room
>>
>>388137296
>immersion
I'd play real life if I wanted to travel 50 miles, and work a tedious job, just to have some fun.
>>
Fast travel is nice but I think the best way to do it is to have set locations you can fast travel to so you dont just appear in front of the thing you want to be at.
>>
File: 32.jpg (28KB, 390x310px) Image search: [Google]
32.jpg
28KB, 390x310px
>>388137228
The fact that fast travel exists is proof enough that the "Open World" genre as we know it is a catastrophic failure
>>
Travel points a la Witcher 3/Morrowind is superior to fast travelling from anywgere
Thread posts: 226
Thread images: 24

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.