[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why did it flop?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 210
Thread images: 28

File: lawbreakers-logo.jpg (852KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
lawbreakers-logo.jpg
852KB, 1920x1080px
Why did it flop?
>>
>>388135076
because this is the first time ive ever seen this
>>
Because people already have things to play with their friends.
>>
>>388135076
Bad market.
>>
>>388135076
Saturated market and the design of the game has zero appeal. You take a good look at the character acren and you can seee all the designs are fucking shit.
>>
>>388135076
why would it have succeeded?
>>
Because of transphobes
>>
File: 1483443433585.jpg (32KB, 720x540px) Image search: [Google]
1483443433585.jpg
32KB, 720x540px
>>388135076

>cluttered mess of ideas from last 10 years mashed together
>not sure which movement system to have, better have a bit of all of them
>low grav is meant to be the key thing and just feels like shit version of Tribes
>went from free to play to $30, everything about it still looks and feels like some Korean F2P game
>Nexon
>generic visual style where the game literally looks like it was all made with the free assets that come with Unreal engine

It's like a shitty halfway between Overwatch and an actual arena shooter, but in a way that it just pisses off both groups of people. Think Dawn of War 3.

This whole thread will probably be SJW and twitter posting Cliffy B shit, even though thats not why it flopped because 99% of people don't read a developers twitter
>>
>>388135076
becuase cliffyb is an asshole who finally got his just desserts.
>>
>>388135076
>those character designs

Fucking keke.
How about not making them niggers and trannys for starters?
>>
>Cliffy B shits all over PC
>Cliffy B spends most of the last decade making Xbox exclusive games
>Releases Lawbreakers on PC and PS4 but not Xbox
>in a market where the audience for your game is wanking over Overwatch and are only going to compare your game to Overwatch despite the lack of real similarity

B I L L I O N D O L L A R I P
>>
the character designs are shit but the game itself is pretty damn fun.
too bad nobody likes arena shooters anymore.
>>
>>388135076
Because it was that $30 Multiplayer only bullshit.
>>
>>388135076
fugly characters.

Pretentious marketing tag #SkilledAF
>>
>>388135076
5 years too late.
>>
File: 1502880843325.png (199KB, 366x424px) Image search: [Google]
1502880843325.png
199KB, 366x424px
Because the majority of people are willing to overlook a game that requires any merit of skill with a heavily exaggerated magnifying glass then go back to playing games with very obviously low skill ceilings.
>>
>>388135076
>hero shooter
>ugly as fuck heros
>>
Character design is a lost art.
>>
Why do massive companies keep putting out content they know their target audience doesnt like?

These companies are not stupid, what they are doing is akin to a shoe maker putting out clown shoes as high fashion.

If companies keep doing it there has to be some outside funding pushing it, they simply would not to it otherwise.
>>
File: 1500958605623.jpg (362KB, 625x899px) Image search: [Google]
1500958605623.jpg
362KB, 625x899px
>>388136545
>lawbreakers
>skill
>>
>>388135076
Fuck ton of shooters out there right now and this one does not stand out. Thats all there is to it.
>>
>Nexon
>Boring character designs
>No actual marketing
>The Arena Shooter is dead
>>
>>388135423
I'm mtf trans and I think lawbreakers looks like shit
>>
File: 1502237618720.gif (458KB, 256x256px) Image search: [Google]
1502237618720.gif
458KB, 256x256px
>>388136545
>Advertise a game as a fast paced, 100% skill oriented arena shooter
>Make 90% of the characters use hitscan weapons, and make the only rocket launcher character useless
>>
>>388136545
Near every weapon is rapid fire hitscan with spread and near every movement skill is a simple press or hold, what takes skill in Lawbreakers?
>>
>>388135076
Not F2P
>>
>>388136680
But look at how many retarded doodads and polygons and "cool" armor that doesn't express any personality we can put on this generic character head!
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (24KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
24KB, 480x360px
>>388136758
Hmm....
>>
>>388136758
>These companies are not stupid.

I'm sorry but have you seen how bad Battleborn has done? Lawbreakers somehow managed to have less players on launch that it, and that's an achievement, considering Gearbox can only make Borderlands games properly.
>>
>>388135521
is that a fucking wart on her face?
>>
>>388135076
it had to compete with overwatch and pubg
>>
File: 1501202961953.jpg (407KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
1501202961953.jpg
407KB, 1000x1000px
>poor mans overwatch
gee i don't know....
>>
File: 1503507818216.jpg (85KB, 1493x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1503507818216.jpg
85KB, 1493x1080px
>>388136784
>>388137063
>>388137087

Stop proving my point. It doesn't even apply exclusively to Lawbreakers. LB's heavily flawed. I hate its characters, its art style, and especially its maps. It made a dumb decision to have a game not be built around projectiles but instead double down on hitscan. It still requires some sense of execution to perform well in this game well beyond what is popular right now. Quake Champions is going to also die. Titanfall 2 is not dead but its constantly on life support. Yet Overwatch, PUBG, and Call of Duty keep maintaining their momentum for months to come. Its infuriating.

These games don't deserve the laughably huge magnifying focus on their flaws that other games don't get. It makes no sense to me. That's just my two cents. I don't think Lawbreakers deserved to die as hard as it did. I got some fun out of it despite it being heavily flawed.
>>
Honestly same problem as Battleborn

>Ugly as FUCK characters

HERO SHOOTERS. Your priority should be making good characters ffs
>>
>>388136905
Post boipussy
>>
Who even cares it's out? It's a bland shooter brought into a already dying market
>>
>>388135076
Not BADASS enough for me to buy.1/4
>>
>>388135442
>>generic visual style where the game literally looks like it was all made with the free assets that come with Unreal engine
that is a cliff game after all.
gears of war was bland as fuck in art direction
>>
>>388135076
Players werent #skilledAF enough.
>>
File: 1469546677792.png (77KB, 334x344px) Image search: [Google]
1469546677792.png
77KB, 334x344px
Releasing your game when Overshit is still a thing and not putting it on the dudebro console
>>
>>388135076
>no white males

trash it
>>
>>388135076
Oversaturated market. Hero based shooter is flooded right now. And cliffyb can spout his "it's only 30 dollars, none of that 60 dollar mp only bs" meme all he wants but it won't work. Quake champions is F2P, Paladins is F2P, and Overwatch is like 20 bucks currently and is the biggest in the genre and made by blizz.

It's not something that you can sell for 30 dollars. People are already playing alternatives that are either free, or have more backing with bigger AAA teams. People in general are stubborn when it comes to competitive games, they don't like jumping ship to something else especially if they can't try it for free.

I think I speak for a lot of people when I say that after playing the beta I actually really did like lawbreakers, but at the same time I have a lot of other games I'm currently interested/invested in and I couldn't see myself spending 30 dollars for a game that i probably wouldn't find the time to really play, especially since I'm already playing games similar to it that I like more.

Shooters are a very crowded market right now, especially class-based ones like tf2 and the like. There was never room for another new class based shooter IP, unless perhaps it was f2p. If it was made by a big company with more backing, if it was a different genre, if it had better marketing, or if it was f2p, then this game wouldn't have flopped.
>>
First off market oversaturstion of hero shooters has got ridiculous, hard to convince anyone to try a new game of this genre when they already have a huge pool of similar games to pick from. Then the stuff that >>388135442 said.

Basically, it's like the MOBA rush we had a few years ago, there's just too much shit around and most new contenders will die off in months to be forgotten.
>>
>>388137349
>her

Wow did you just assume xer gender?
>>
>>388137275
There is a difference between making a bad game and making a design decision that you know players do not like though.

Look at the ghostbusters movie, did anyone think that movie was going to be a success?

Why did they do it, why do they keep doing it. Seen the new spiderman movie because they did it again?
>>
>>388137663
This.

Overwatch and Paladins got it right...gamers demand Tits and Ass
>>
>>388137236
This. You don't have to worry about monetary losses as long as you include anti-white agenda in your games, (((they))) will cover all the expenses.
>>
>>388137573
>class shooters are Overwatch rip offs
Underages these days
>>
File: d2.jpg (924KB, 3997x2248px) Image search: [Google]
d2.jpg
924KB, 3997x2248px
I'm thinking about pre purchasing this game with the expansion pass bundle or maybe even the digital deluxe; however, i'm not sure if it's going to be worth it. What do you guys think, will the game flop or will it be a success?
>>
>>388137898
But it's on PS4.
>>
>>388135521
This is the most iconic character design i've seen in my entire life.
>>
>>388135076
Silly PC cuck, just wait and watch as it becomes the billion dollar IP it was meant to be thanks to the PS4.
>>
>>388138221
the other dudebro console
>>
>>388137981
>People in general are stubborn when it comes to competitive games, they don't like jumping ship to something else especially if they can't try it for free.
Yeah, it's hard enough to get people to play your multiplayer games on itself even when the concept is unique, but doing it when there's already something like 3 well-established similar games around? Fucking impossible. People interested in hero shooters have already found a game that they like by now and friends that also play that same game, they're not gonna jump the ship easily.
>>
>>388138116
Whoa, I didn't say that. Don't put words in my mouth.
>>
>>388137986
>MOBA rush we had a few years ago
That shit was hilarious, who ever thought that people would actually play stuff like Total War MOBA or Dead Island MOBA? I doubt that most of those games lasted even for a quarter of a year.
>>
>>388137986
Exactly, hero shooters are the new thing. Anyone coming into this market either needs something totally fresh to add to it, or they need to be f2p.

Why pay $30 for this when I can
>Play overwatch, which literally everyone probably owns already
>play paladins which is free
>play quake champions which is free AND an existing IP that a lot of people already love
>play battleborn, which is complete garbage, but free
>play csgo, which is cheap and most people already own
>play call of duty, existing successful IP
>play battlefield, existing successful IP
>play destiny 2, existing successful IP

Like there's a lot of other similar games that just completely box out Lawbreakers, people aren't going to spend money for this game, and most who do won't stick around since the game is just a 7/10 in a market filled with existing 8-9/10's OR free games.

And before you REEEEEEE, all the games I listed is just me trying to be objective and list all the games that most people are playing instead. I don't play or like all the games I put on this list.
>>
>>388135076
Boring, ugly and unappealing early 2000s character design.

Having a good game isn't enough, you need to get people interested and then keep people interested with all the surrounding twitter/tumblr fandom shit which isn't possible with something that looks like this.
>>
there is not a single thing in this game that looked like fun or any good, a majority of reviews shit on it, it exists in a over saturated and its lead developer lives in the fucking twilight zone although that doesn't have much to do with how fucking bad it is.
>>
literally the first time I ever heard of this game was the crowbcat video roasting it
>>
>>388135442
I've been playing pretty solid for 2 days and don't agree with any of those points. The only one that comes close is the visual style, I wouldn't say it at all looks like free assets, just that it clearly takes a lot of inspiration from UT.
>>
>>388138850
>Dead Island MOBA
Wew, I actually had to google this to check whether such thing actually exists. And it does, what a fucking joke.
>>
>>388138128
>w we totally didn't get this idea from overwatch
yeah ow wasn't the first, but since it came out everyone wants to be a hero shooter.
>>
>>388137663
The characters are hardly ugly. Just not Pixar rip offs like your examples.
>>
>>388138596
Yeah, you really need an edge to break into an existing market. Look at fighting games, for years it's been street fighter and teen mainly with smaller games finding their niche and often being cheaper and more unique.

Same for the big console shooters. Halo, Cod, Battlefield. Not much else is gonna come up in that market unless it's really fresh or cheap.

It's mainly competitive games as well. People like to get good at something it will be worth their time getting good at. And after that they don't really have much interest in jumping into a new competitive scene they don't feel is worth their time getting good in.
>>
>>388135263
>>388135336
These and wasting money on pushing it hard to be the next big e-sports game before it could prove itself and gain a big enough following post launch.
>>
TRANSGENDER BATHROOMS

TRANSGENDER BATHROOMS

TRANSGENDER BATHROOMS
>>
I avoid western games where female characters have colored dyke hair
>>
>>388138934
>Play overwatch
everyone's bored of it
>Play paladins
isn't comparable
>Play Quake Champions
it's in early access
>Battleborn
dead and isn't comparable
>CS:GO
dying and isn't comparable
>call of duty
slow console shooter, isn't comparable
>Battlefield
isn't comparable
>destiny 2
isn't comparable

the only games you could probably get away with comparing to lawbreakers are Team fortress 2 and Titanfall 2. because both those games have that focus on fast paced multiplayer action that none of the ones you listed bar quake champions have.

>any of those games you listed 8-9/10's
>>
>>388135667
>arena shooter
this isn't an arena shooter
>>
it didnt have enough transsexual bathrooms and afros
>>
Lack of marketing. Personally I'm glad it didn't take off huge, games are generally fun and people are cool. Leave the Overwatch fags in their receptacle.
>>
>>388135521
Does this guy even lift?
>>
>>388135076
these characters belong in the 00's.
>>
And in a bizarre twist of events, /v/ became more susceptible to marketing and aesthetics than reddit.
>>
>>388135076
it has no personality and it has the spirit of a game from the early 2000's, those times are long gone
>>
File: 1416009438805.jpg (20KB, 465x411px) Image search: [Google]
1416009438805.jpg
20KB, 465x411px
>>388135076
>non existent balance
>tries way too hard to be overwatch
>too fast and to hard for console fags
>too consoleized for PC fags
I really wanted to like it
>>
>>388135076
No waifus no buy
>>
>>388136680
It tragically is. Cliffy B is a tool and his sense if style is both bland and unmemorable. For as weak of a game Overwatch is, it cannot be denied tha Blizzard succeeded in creating characters that stick in the minds of players and that people care about, despite Cliff's disdain for the art direction.
>>
>>388139638
It's not a matter of being comparable or not, they're alternatives that are already present on the market. Just because Cola is different from Water that doesn't mean they aren't alternatives to one another.
>>
>>388136905
nudes or gtfo
>>
>>388135076
Because it's not a good game and it's not interesting.
>>
>>388140806
>>tries way too hard to be overwatch
does play like overwatch at all though. if it was trying to be overwatch all the characters would have zero advanced movement mechanics and it would be slow as fuck.
>too consolised for PC fags
a lot of the movement techniques in the game would just be unfeasible with a controller.

overwatch on the other hand doesn't even have rocket jumping, that game was designed for consoles.

>>388141114
so that's your reasoning for talking about irrelevant games then? by that logic why would anyone play any of those games you listed when candy crush exists? it's not comparable but heheh it's an alternative already present on the market! kill yourself my man.
>>
>>388139562
They're gender neutral bathrooms dummy, those already exist now
>>
Not an existing brand, not visually appealing, no 'sex sells' style characters with big tits or round asses.

I mean look at this shit, this is how you do cosmetics.
>>
>SKILLED AF

Why did anyone expect it to not flop again?
>>
>>388141257
>Because it's not a good game
It's better than overwatch and tons of people play that.
>>
>>388141267
Are you mentally retarded? Do you not know what a market segment is? People only want a Multiplayer game to have a social experience while playing games, they can't be assed finding new wannabe high skill multiplayer games that lack any semblance of a marketing campaign. Candy Crush is an alternative to Battlefield for people who want "a video game". Pretty much anything on the mainstream market is an alternative to Lawbreakers if someone wants "a multiplayer shooter".
>>
>>388141390
Because at least Overwatched managed to have a good marketing campaign. When a game is boring, generic trash then marketing is all you have left. Lawbreakers even failed at that category.
>>
>>388135076
The game seems boring and bland as fuck, i mean overwatch doesn't have a campaign... but they build very good characters , and emit a vibe of fun and happyness that is so colorfull... lawbreakers is full of edgy ugly diverse dudes that look like michael bay transformers, that look almost the same.
>>
>>388137663
Pretty much. Not to mention they have zero personality.
>>
>>388139283
There is not one person in the world who would look at these characters and go "I love this character, I really want to draw fanart of her, or tweet about her, or get some merch with her, or ship her, or come up with stupid theories or fanfiction about her." And that's the kind of shit you need today.
>>
TWENTY NINE NINETY NINE
>>
>>388141852
>And that's the kind of shit you need today.
Maybe that's what YOU need, you filthy fucking blizzfag.
>>
>>388140995
>For as weak of a game Overwatch is, it cannot be denied tha Blizzard succeeded in creating characters that stick in the minds of players and that people care about
Helps to rip-off familiar designs to make it easier.
>>
>>388141852
this, you have to make the game to be something when you dont play the game , you can see meme of overwatch, people talking about overwatch and a lot of things about overwatch out the game
>>
>>388141695
Yeah but that has nothing to say for lawbreakers being a "bad game".
>>
>>388135076
>advertising says: NOT JUST ANOTHER HERO SHOOTER
>product: just another hero shooter
it flopped because it's a blizzard game knock off that isn't by blizzard
only blizzard can sell blizzard games, developers need to stop copying blizzard

you won't get the same money wow makes
you won't get the game money hearthstone makes
you won't get the same money overwatch makes
just stop

the people playing blizzard games are going to continue to play blizzard games, it doesn't matter if you make something "better"
the people not playing blizzard games aren't playing the games because they don't want to play those games, so making a clone of them isn't going to convince the people not playing to play
>>
>>388142032
>ARTIFACT
>>
File: 1425869746068.jpg (82KB, 500x597px) Image search: [Google]
1425869746068.jpg
82KB, 500x597px
>>388135076
Terrible marketing - I got a beta key and I didn't knew it existed until then
Bland, unappealing style
No cute girls with huge butts
Head dev is a pretentious retard
>>
>>388142154

I'd wage jihad on that booty
>>
>>388135076
Looks like a military shooter and its not free to play
>>
>>388142032
overwatch didn't invent hero shooters and lawbreakers is more of an arena shooter than a hero shooter like overwatch and paladins anyway.

you just got completely outed as a diehard blizzfag though. so well done you
>>
>>388137651

I'm not them but I agree with you.

Honestly I think it requires more skill than other hero shooters except for comp tf2 6v6.

it's less visually appealing than overwatch
it's more difficult to instantly enjoy than overwatch
it's got less marketable character designs than overwatch
it approaches the audience with an angle that does not include most people (the "#SkilledAF" marketing they did, WOW SUCH A SKILLED WOW, WOW, SHOW YOUR SKILL, WOW, AMAZING - compare to Overwatch where it's *coolshit happening* *Heroes* *the world needs heroes* *you can be a hero* "ARE YOU WITH US?" - much more appealing to the average loser who wants to be part of something great, bigger than themselves, etc, not play as a futuristic criminal or futuristic cop)

the maps are shit
mobility is nice but only on a couple classes
balance is kinda iffy

I could go on.

Lawbreakers was enjoyable, I was even gonna pre-order it, but I could tell it was gonna be even more DOA than it should be.

It's only half as DOA as quake champions, if that makes you feel any better.
>>
>>388138092
Paladin's characters are like overwatch characters but with even shittier designs and animal voice acting/personalities.

At least with overwatch some of the clichéd characters manage to look okay and didn't make me want to strangle them I couldn't stand a single paladin's character. IMO it's only popular because it's FTP overwatch.

Battleborn and lawbreakers have horrible characters though, Battleborn's being screeching "Badasses" and lawbreakers being forgettable.

Tf2 had best heros and personalities though.
>>
>>388137981

if i had $30 to spend on a game like that, i'd probably buy pubg or overwatch or play paladins or rainbow 6 siege or buy 2 copies of titanfall 2 or buy like 14 copies of quake live (It's $2.50 right now)
>>
>>388142303
>lawbreakers is more of an arena shooter
no, it's not
not even a little bit
>>
>>388142447
>animal voice acting/personalities
So like every Paladin character is Winston?
>>
>>388142447
>IMO it's only popular because it's FTP overwatch
overwatch is only popular for reasons other than the actual gameplay. so why even pretend either game is better?
>>
>>388138183
>Preordering after Destiny 1

Don't be an idiot. You'll never use the rewards anyways

Destiny was the first and last game I preordered
>>
>>388137236
>>388138116
Get the FUCK off this board with your /pol/ paranoia.
>>
>>388141267
>if it was trying to be overwatch all the characters would have zero advanced movement mechanics
But it doesn't have advanced movement, the closest it has to it is the Assassins grapple, everything is OW tier movement.
>>
>>388142916
i could open any video of lawbreakers right now and it is way way faster than overwatch.
>>
>>388141924
I don't play online games and I've never even seen a stream of Overwatch, but still know some of the character and relationships and memes. This kind of out-of-game popularity and feedback loop is what you need in order to get and keep being really popular. TF2 was exactly the same.
>>
>>388142916
Why pretend that you've played a game you haven't played?
>>
>>388135076
fafa
>>
>>388143051
tf2 didn't have marketing. overwatch has the full might of blizzard's marketing team pushing it harder and harder at every opportunity.

tf2's popularity was organic whereas overwatch's is artificial as fuck, it's soulless, it's vanity, yes it's popular but that doesn't make it good retard.
>>
>>388143120
Why pretend your game that we all played in beta has some amazing Quake tier movement when it doesn't?
>>
>>388135076
It released when everybody was already tired of hero shooters because of Overwatch, plus it dropped in summer which is a bad time for game releases unless it's a franchise that's already popular. Plus the art style is generic and boring. Done
>>
>>388142463
This was literally me

I grappled between buying Overwatch, ARMA 3, R6S, PUBG and Lawbreakers. Ended up buying Overwatch. I reegret nothing.
>>
>>388143015
Going fast is not the same as advanced movement. Blinks, jetpack, and sprint are just simple button press movements akin to Overwatch.
>>
>>388138183
I feel like Bungie has learned from their mistakes...to a point. Like, to a point where Activision would like them to keep making the kinds of mistakes that allowed them to financially exploit their playerbase. It definitely won't flop, though. But I reckon that it's playerbase will rise and dwindle with each expansion like it always does...Go for it. It's bound to be better than D1.
>>
>>388135076
COMPLETE
OVER
SATURATION
>>
>>388143325
Nobody is saying that it's Quake tier, but calling it OW tier is just advertising that you haven't played it at all or you haven't played OW.
>>
>>388138183
I don't think it will flop. Speaking as someone that's not crazy about Destiny and doesn't one the first one it's getting a good amount of coverage and available via Battle.Net Launcher never hurt anything. I'm not sure if you're on console or PC but if it flops it'll be because the game stinks.
>>
>>388143273
Doesn't really matter how, neither would have worked if they didn't spend a huge amount of effort on design.
>>
>>388143565
Whats the big skill difference between the Gunslingers warping and Tracers?
>>
>>388135076
too difficult and the open beta was too off-putting because of fucked up balance with wraith being the top of the class and so much better than anything else, it scared the newbs from putting in the hours to get gud. Those two things are the sole reason for its failure
>>
>>388142447
Paladins characters aren't that bad. Some designs are meh, I think the worst part is there's no lore so after a while they just feel like a bunch of characters thrown in randomly, rather than them being outright bad.
>>
>Advertises itself as a lightning fast UT style shooter with classes
>Map design is all COD Tri-lane and choke point memes that hardly let you maximise movement outside of the obvious CTF-Face rip off
>Map boundries are poorly defined. Literally cannot go too high on a map or the game will kill you unlike Titanfall or OW
>Classes range from complete shit to OP. Wraith is way too OP that they fall into S+ class.
>Made CTF, Domination and KOTH gametypes worse by trying to add their own "Spin" on them. Domination can literally be won by having one person sit at your teams point, cap it to lock it and taking the middle.

Overwatch might be slow as shit casual normie shooter. But it's actually got map design that doesn't punish you for trying to take routes the design makes available to you and doesn't fuck with classic game modes just to be different. LawBreakers failed because it was generic as fuck and making itself a confusing mess.
>>
File: 1502480741882.png (1MB, 1280x1021px) Image search: [Google]
1502480741882.png
1MB, 1280x1021px
i dunno lol
>>
>>388143920
This would be a valid point if that warp was an exhaustive list of both games movement systems but it's not.
>>
>>388137651
Late reply but I wholeheartedly agree with you. It's disgusting to see these replies who judge a game they very obviously have not played. I think it's just the nature of /v/ and many others to want to see things crash and burn for amusement. I honestly believe this wouldn't be the case if they had design the game with attractive characters and marketed their personalities more. The Breaker's Juggernaut for example has a ton of personality but it's hardly ever showcased even in the animated trailer they put out.
>>
File: Cliff_Bleszinski_2006.jpg (299KB, 1184x1943px) Image search: [Google]
Cliff_Bleszinski_2006.jpg
299KB, 1184x1943px
>>388135150
>>
>>388144374
How in the hell do you think Overwatch has better map design when it has the absolute worst implementation of the "COD Tri-lane and choke point memes" in the history of shooters?

Also Titanfall definitely does have dead zones.
>>
Because the market is over saturated with Overwatch clones. It's almost like publishers never learn their fucking lesson. One company gets a hit so all the other fucktards jump on the bandwagon not realizing that the consumers are not going to leave the original hit. It's like WoW clones, people were already invested in WoW, why would they put in time on a reskin?
>>
>>388144985
Well I'm sure you'd have no problem telling us all about the skill based advanced movement the game has then would you?
>>
>>388135076
Same reason why games like CoD went modern military to future shit. Market is oversaturated, which is why Overwatch and Paladins are the only games similar to each other to actually be successful. Publishers/devs/Cliffy "I'll donate ten kitty in a jiffy" B never seem to learn their lessons with this, not that I'm surprised. I'm willing to bet the WW2 shooter scene is going to go full throttle yet again.
>>
>>388146387
I quit titanfall 2 because of the loads of faggot shit that would happen at choke points
fucking a-walls and turrets
so lame
>>
>>388135076
Because unlike Overwatch there's no porn to be made off of it. Blizzard knew what the fuck they were doing with character designs, even if they did go full white knight over them at release.
>>
>>388146037
>Cliffy was 31 in this photo
On one hand, it's impressive how youthful he looked at that age. On the other hand, what a fucking tool.
>>
>>388136758
Huh.... maybe it was because gamerbros kept telling women that being represented in games doesn't matter and now that they started making characters that don't represent the average gamer they freak the fuck out
>>
>>388147516
How has what he said got anything to do with character design you colossal faggot?
>>
>>388147626
Have you seen the asspained backlash over all the minorities and women in the average LB or OW thread?
>>
>>388137757
What the fuck is up with Cliff? Didn't he make Jazz Jackrabbit? That game had God-tier visual design and was oozing character.
>>
>>388135076
>Cocky cunt Cliffy spit on PC - "get over it"
>Cliffy hugs the Xbox
>want to release game and properly "make a business" releasing on Pc & PS4
>therefore spit on Xbox users - "get over it"
>Muh gender neutral toilet bowls are for where the game should go
>the release date
>the market genre

But my favorite ..
>muh progressive characters
That's all cool but ..
>they are all generic / bland or simply ugly
>all realistic-ish, almost uncanny for some
>strictly not likeable, nothing beautiful, nothing sticking out, nothing cute, nothing meme (not that it's a good idea, but it's probably a better one), just lack of charisma
>want to sell lootboxes for skins for characters nobody give a shit about

In the rough, it could, COULD be better than OW and more popular but blizzard can sell it for waifus alone. This one can't.
>>
>>388148295
all this

desu im starting to think what would have happened if this wasnt a hero shooter at all, and was just some kind of arena shooter with customizable avatar.
>>
>>388135442
>Nexon
this is it for me, no matter what they do I won't be dumb enough to fall for their schemes. Once was enough.
>>
>>388138183
>pre purchasing
You stupid fucks never learn.
>>
>Lawbreakers gameplay
>with characters on par with Overwatch's
Would this have made it any better and not flop as bad as it did?
>>
Honest answer?
Because overwatch and TF2 exist.
No one fucking cares if your shooter is faster. People that want fast shooters don't fucking care about hero stuff, so unless your gameplay is really really unique they won't care. The fact is, lawbreakers was not that unique compared to Overwatch when it comes to core gameplay, and not more skillful than stuff like Quake or classic unreal for quick skill based shooting. People who want fast shooters want either something very basic, like HD quake (though possibly not the new one because, once again, they're going with hero shit) or Unreal, OR they want something super unique and creative like Tribes was.

Tribes could have been a gold mine for the fast shooters niche, but they fucked it up with all the shit balancing and speed caps.
>>
No Asian American male playable character
>>
>>388137651
This

It's a shame Quake Champions and Lawbreakers are dead in the water when far worse games like Overwatch, CoD, etc. are all alive and healthy.
>>
>>388148863
Done better? Yes.
Not flop? Hard to say. That Cliff guy was a piece of shit.
>>
>>388135076

I'd never even heard of it until posts like this talking about how it flopped, seems like a massive marketing failure
>>
>>388141309
Quake Champions is more dead than Lawbreakers man. People saying skill-based shooters are dead are 100%. Toxikk is even more dead and even the heavily advertised (but jank) Shootmania is dead.

Arena shooters are F U C K E D. People say Quake and UT are so good, but I never see anyone actually play and UT99 is filled with rocket only BR servers.
>>
>>388149220
i liked how you could clearly feel his resentment towards overwatch on that crowbcat vid
>>
>>388149119
Quake champions would have been fine if they didn't go with hero shit and just made an HD quake with skins

People are sick of hero shit, they can already get it in TF2 and Overwatch. It's like whenever an MMO tried to copy WoW, RuneScape, or MapleStory. Of course they flopped, even if they had more potential, because people don't give a shit if you're not unique when there's something super popular already filling the niche you want to fill.

Right now classic arena shooters have a wide open niche for a game that's not going to throw in hero shit. Either make one with no gimmicks or make one with a UNIQUE gimmick.
>>
>>388135076
Crabs in a bucket
>Hey let's make a game and compete with Blizzard and CoD/Activision as well as the other 10 developers that thought this idea would work out

Can't wait to have this same thread in a week when another class based team hero shooter nobody has heard of gets shitcanned by consumers.
>>
>>388135442
For me it was the SJW stuff that made me stay away. Then I found out Nexon was publishing it. If it wasn't the SJW stuff, it would have been Nexon.
>>
>>388149606
>Quake champions would have been fine if they didn't go with hero shit and just made an HD quake with skins

No it would have been a failure regardless because of it's skill bracket and style of play. Casuals don't like it, but for some reason they love to dickride it and make excuses as to why they don't play it.
>>
>>388135521
That looks legit awesome.
>>
>>388135076
poor marketing
uninspired design
hero shooter being made after overwatch
overwatch coincidentally putting out the summer games a week later from the previous year to coincide with the game's launch.
launching during a dead season
"none of that $60 bullshit" probably lead to lower expectations
CliffyB historically shitting on PC probably didn't earn good PR there
CliffyB turning to PS4 over Xbox with an already established following on the platform to then shit on it like he did with PC
Using unknown Twitch streamers to market the game and have them not even shill it.
>>
>>388149446
Because people want arena with a fresh twist. That's what made Halo so popular, and it's what killed off arena shooters of old.
Tribes ascend would have made a fortune if they didn't fuck it up by killing their own gimmick (ridiculous speed) for the sake of 'competitiveness'.

There is room for a new arena shooters, but it has to do something that hasn't been done yet. Not ridiculous speed, not crazy gravity, and not fucking hero shit.

Maybe something like transforming stages plus unique traversal. Like, a grappling hook that actually functions like a grappling hook and not a zipline / pulley like it does in Titanfall 2. Maybe some pickups that give you an added piece to your character and a weapon enhancement / new weapon / ability. Maybe a super close range arena shooters that focuses on up close encounters via melee weapons, with the option to throw your weapons at the cost of losing them.
I'm throwing out random shit here, but no developer will ever strike liquid gold by copying another developer UNLESS the copied developer is completely neglecting their game like Valve was with TF2.
>>
>>388147516
The difference is that people genuinely do not care what the protagonist is IF its well written or otherwise feels like it belongs there. What is happening is people with agendas shoving poorly written characters and shoehorning in transfat characters in such a hamfisted way that its obvious as fuck those characters don't fit. Its taking a square peg and trying to jam it into a round hole. Hell, you'd have better luck with an octagon peg, but these idiot devs INSIST on using the square one.
>>
I only found out this game existed yesterday when a pic of Cliffy B was posted and he looked like he had really let himself go.

Remember when he was the cool guy that appeared on MTV and shit?

Now he looks like the pedo in your street that the kids throw stones at.
>>
>>388147724
Its not that they're minorities. Its that they're impossible ones.
>>
>>388150397
He's filthy rich. This whole fuck up probably cost him a few million dollars sure, maybe 10 if it was expensive and he paid for a good chunk, but the guy has tens maybe even hundreds of millions left.

He basically became one of the biggest Oculus shareholders right off the bat which only cost him a few thousand to do, and the payoff after the Zucc sale for him was enormous because of it.
>>
>>388146579
>All character have unique movement abilities like dash, warp, jetpack, etc.
>Abilities usually have multiple ways to use them rather than just "press button - go up"
>Some secondary abilities can be used for movement like grenades and melees
>In general character speed is pretty damn fast if you're not just walking around
>Jumping and using secondary abilities to preserve momentum
>For all of the above, each character's implementation of these is different
>Anti gravity amplifies the effect of all of the above, plus adds the ability to use your gun as a booster

For the abilities that are similar to overwatch, they're actually done properly. For example the warp character can use it vertically, something that wasn't implemented in Overwatch because that would be just too much absolute earth-shattering 9th-realm-of-hell mayhem for Blizzard to handle. Also it's on the second-to-least mobile class in the game.
>>
>>388139376
that never happened, stop making shit up. cliffy made it a point repeatedly that he was not going to push it as an esports game unless it was catching on as one after release.
>>
>>388141930
What blizzard did with the characters was not easy. Also, your comment is far more applicable to Lawbreakers' designs. The artstyle is so generic in all ways, there is literally nothing that stands out as being remotely new or exciting. I do enjoy a few rounds of the game here and there though, even if the art direction blows.
>>
>>388135076
Why do devs waste money on shitty pseudo knockoffs whenever a new genre becomes popular? Do they honestly think that people would stop playing the much more popular and well known game for their shit? I've never seen a single WoW/LoL/Overwatch (TF2) clone ever be successful during the height of the respective games popularity besides Paladins. FFXIV doesn't count for WoW as it is long past its prime, and I shouldn't have to tell you why Dota doesn't count either.
>>
>>388150726
Perhaps with all that money he can get some proper help to cure those kiddy urges.
>>
>>388135521
that is some BADASS character design
>>
>>388151124
>FFXIV doesn't count for WoW
it does
>>
File: 1502569399186.jpg (279KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1502569399186.jpg
279KB, 1920x1080px
Because CliffyB is a cuck.
>>
File: 1502552571550.jpg (182KB, 1189x601px) Image search: [Google]
1502552571550.jpg
182KB, 1189x601px
>>388135076
Cliffy B is a has-been/never-was
>>
>>388151124
Why doesn't DotA count?
>>
>>388137663
>Battleborn
Oscar Mike is legitimately the only note-worthy character

>>388135076
Here are my two cents
The marketing suggests it is a Hero shooter for those who are tired of Overwatch.
But people who are tired of overwatch do not want to play a hero shooter. They will play something else like Siege, which plays totally different even though it has characters as well.
>>
>>388151124
Usually, money. But considering the fact that they didn't market this game to hell and didn't hire Pixar rejects to do their art design I really don't think they're trying to directly compete with Overwatch. LB is for the group of people who liked Overwatch but thought it was utter shit so either don't play it or have been looking for something less gay.

Plus as much as Overwatch gets crammed down everyone's throat to this day I'm pretty convinced even the core of its initial fanbase is wavering. Even my youngfag friends who swore by it for months as the next big esports hit haven't touched it since like the day after that new hero came out. It has less viewers on Twitch than Dota 2 and Dota "died" years ago.
>>
>>388135076
Over saturated market with massive already established games that have done the formula better
>>
>>388135076
It actually looks like an alright game in terms of gameplay, it looks fun to fly around and gib people, but it's just come out at pretty much the worst possible time for these Overwatch-style shooters, like even though I said it looks good I just have no desire at all to play it because of how saturated the market is with these sorts of games and how little it does that makes it unique and interesting or to grab my attention. It kind of looks like a combination between Overwatch and Call of Duty, and I know that it probably drew more inspiration initially from Unreal Tournament but it just doesn't carry over so well. If I saw this on the Steam marketplace, my eyes would just glaze over and I'd look at anything else, and that probably did happen to me without even remembering the name of this game.

I literally only know about it from all the people talking about how badly it did, which says it all really.
>>
>>388152329
>that have done the formula better
Literally just TF2 and that shit is way past saturating any market.
>>
should have stuck to free to play. I have pc, ps4, and xbone, but cliffy's unwillingness to release on xbone after he actually had fans there is bullshit. fuck him, and fuck bungie while we're at it too
>>
Guys I didnt read a single post but I just wanted to tell that if you want to move around fast and shoot at people you should give it a chance and try it. Just be sure to not play more than 2 hours so you can refund it if it ended up sucking ass. Also do not purposely play on 4 am and then comlpain about the lack of players. After that you can come back and continue hating on video games.
>>
File: quake-large-84bcaf245d.jpg (37KB, 560x300px) Image search: [Google]
quake-large-84bcaf245d.jpg
37KB, 560x300px
What's the chance of this game being as much of a flop as Lawbreakers when it's out of early access?
>>
File: 1455387728179.png (247KB, 432x313px) Image search: [Google]
1455387728179.png
247KB, 432x313px
ITT: a disgraced Cliffy B spouts his hot opinions about overwatch
>>
>>388153137
I am sure the Quake will suffer from the "uh wait this has less than 10k players its a dead game so I wont play it hurr".
>>
>>388153096
This
>>
>>388135521
>blisinski: totally mature characters and so on
>why no buy?
>>
>>388152787
Lmfao who gives a fuck.
>>
>>388150202
>"none of that $60 bullshit"
yeah, it's just $30 tranny bullshit
trannies for half the price
>>
File: lawbreakers.png (2MB, 2016x945px) Image search: [Google]
lawbreakers.png
2MB, 2016x945px
>>388135076
fixed
>>
>>388147921
Speaking of Jazz, don't expect a sequel since he left Epic to make this game
>>
TWENTY NINE NINETY NINE
>>
File: fell-down-cliff.gif (2MB, 530x301px) Image search: [Google]
fell-down-cliff.gif
2MB, 530x301px
>>388154007
>>
>>388135076

I wish they kept that version of Kitsune
>>
File: 1473479517936.png (102KB, 453x443px) Image search: [Google]
1473479517936.png
102KB, 453x443px
>>388154393
NONE OF THAT

60 DOLLAR MULTIPLAYER ONLY BULLSHIT
>>
>>388145915
In a slightly different timeline I can see so many greentexts and nash-posters in a Lawbreakers general.

Shame.
>>
>>388143273
>TF2 didn't have marketing
>All the 'meet the...' videos, valve name behind it, Orange Box, and Steam front page isn't marketing
Christ you're fucking stupid.
>>
>>388149995
What makes these games failures is lack of marketing.
Back in the day casuals played arena shooters along with the core audience. Because AAA publishers were actually willing to give them a chance.
By you logic, Dark Souls would have never made it in the west.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tGOIMPQo9uI
>>
>>388137651
>tfw quality shooters are facing extinction and soon you will be forced to play Overwatch and all the even worse games it spawns
>>
>>388149446
>>388150329
Again, the reason is, and I'm going to stress this as much as possible:
M A R K E T I N G
A R K E T I N G
R K E T I N G
K E T I N G
E T I N G
T I N G
I N G
N G
G
See >>388156693
>>
>>388156693

What makes these games fail is a lack of cute females. If this game had hot girls like Overwatch of Paladins I guarantee it would gain a following. Battleborn was also a failure due to having no attractive females.
>>
>>388135076
No cute girls.
>>
>>388135076
the trend of an hero-ing
>>
File: mynx.png (29KB, 120x300px) Image search: [Google]
mynx.png
29KB, 120x300px
>>388157245
And it just so happens Quake III and UT also had hot females.
Funny coincidence, that.
>>
File: 1436708191430.jpg (171KB, 939x959px) Image search: [Google]
1436708191430.jpg
171KB, 939x959px
>>388136758
>what they are doing is akin to a shoe maker putting out clown shoes as high fashion
>>
>>388142887
t. reddit
>>
>>388157125
the more i delve into it the more i think marketing isn't the main issue for it, I think Lawbreakers had a fairshare of marketing, E3, gaming podcasts, famous twitch streamers. I believe its the saturation and kinda contradicting to marketing; the word of mouth that its just another overwatch clone
Thread posts: 210
Thread images: 28

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.