[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Well I guess now is as good a time as any. What should I know

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 5

File: Quake.jpg (118KB, 800x947px) Image search: [Google]
Quake.jpg
118KB, 800x947px
Well I guess now is as good a time as any.

What should I know going in? I always have a hard time finding my way around these old shooters.
>>
It has better AI than Dark Souls, so prepare for an actually difficult time.

You CAN use the Grenade Launcher for high jumps.

Quad Damage doesn't quadruple your damage.

Learn the Shambler dance.
>>
>>388133696
Literally nothing. Play it yourself, 4chan isn't google. Why are people this desperate to make sure they're fitting in to the circle jerk?
>>
>>388133696
Use Quakespasm.
>>
its not hard to grasp but its fun
>>
File: quake shambler.png (169KB, 1080x946px) Image search: [Google]
quake shambler.png
169KB, 1080x946px
play it on hard, the difficulty select isn't a menu, it's a 3D "level" go to the far right to select hard

Nightmare difficulty is hidden
>>
>>388133794
>Quad Damage doesn't quadruple your damage.

???
>>
>>388133812
Rude.

Play on high, once you've learned how to deal with each enemy normal is boring.
>>
>>388134068
Hi OP
>>
File: 1502688981372.png (372KB, 480x640px) Image search: [Google]
1502688981372.png
372KB, 480x640px
For real and for the love of art if this is your first time playing it got to the forums and download the Quake Soundtrack Fix

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yohb3uhnmrs&t=0s

The Quake OST is a magnificent creepy thing masterpiece
>>
You have to install the soundtrack yourself unless you're playing off an original CD release, the GOG version comes with the OST as cue files that you can convert back into a format Quake can play then you mount it to a virtual CD drive, RIP that and then insert those into the quake music folder. Same deal for Quake 2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mv5Jvr2Fp48
>>
>>388134121

its NiN so its gotta be good
>>
>>388133696
Use Quakespasm.

Also, play Arcane Dimensions! It's literally the best FPS ever made, and so goddamn beautiful.
>>
>>388133794
>Quad Damage doesn't quadruple your damage.

It does. You're thinking about Quake 3 and later where it was nerfed to only give triple damage.
>>
>>388134121
I listen Parallel Dimensions as ambience music in my room
Relaxing creepiness. The beat is dope tho, it's better to listen with headphones because the bass and high pitches of hidden sounds can't be heard sometimes on speakers.
>>
>>388134117
Nope, also I'm an idiot...hard not high.

If you're the guy I replied to why are you here? It's a place to discuss Vidya and you shit on someone for doing it. Go back to your thinly veiled r9k threads faggot.
>>
>>388134121
Why does the soundtrack need to be "fixed"?
>>
>>388133696
before you do anything go in the console by pressing ~
type in +mlook
your'e welcome
>>
>>388133812
Shut up nerd
>>
>>388135293
you'll play System Shock with keyboard only and like it mister!
>>
>>388135469
system shock wasn't designed for mouselook dipshit
>>
>>388135171
As with plenty of games released in the 90s, Quake uses CD music playback (redbook). Obviously you're not going to have a disc containing the soundtrack somewhere, and even if you did redbook playback no longer works in modern OSs. Source ports get around this by making it able to play .mp3 or .ogg formats of the soundtrack that you can download.
>>
>>388135589
Neither was DooM and even in only horizontal look it plays objectively infinitely better than all keyboard.
>>
>>388135171
The music was on the CD back then, so you needed to insert the CD to open the app as a security measure and to play the game
For some reason the re releases never fixed this but there's a shitton of fixes around in the forums. It's a really great soundtrack, made with ambience in mind specifically for it by Trent Reznor.
>>
File: romero mouselook.png (33KB, 576x232px) Image search: [Google]
romero mouselook.png
33KB, 576x232px
>>388135863
Doom along with wolfenstein were designed with mouselook in mind just no Y axis
system shock is designed to be controlled with the keyboard while the mouse is used to interact with objects in the world and like doom you can play it with just the mouse (or joystick) by itself
>>
File: cruncheweesy.jpg (33KB, 500x306px) Image search: [Google]
cruncheweesy.jpg
33KB, 500x306px
>>388133812
>Just ordered a Cheesy Gordita Crunch from Taco Bell, what am I in for?
>>
>>388133696
i've only played quake live. besides the newest one, which one has the most active multiplayer on steam?
>>
>>388136719
quake live
the old games don't use steam for any multiplayer
if you want to play the original quakeworld you can just download nquake it has a retard proof installer and comes with the shareware version of quake which is all you need for multiplayer as any additional maps are just downloaded from the server
>>
>>388133696
Great game, play on hard or nightmare
>>
>>388136226
Are we seriously going to compare a genre defining game made by literal gods to shitty cult game made by literal whos? Liking Doom and Quake is not the same as liking stuff like "System Shock" just because both are old games doens't mean they are the same.
>>
>>388138532
>Looking Glass weren't literal gods
Wrong
Thread posts: 31
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.