[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What makes tactical RPGs better than regular old JRPGs/WRPGs?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 4

File: monk battle.png (539KB, 954x536px) Image search: [Google]
monk battle.png
539KB, 954x536px
What makes tactical RPGs better than regular old JRPGs/WRPGs?

For the purposes of this conversation, games like XCOM qualify even though they have an elaborate strategic layer.
>>
>>388123279
I don't know but I'll give you a bump because I can play even the worst SRPG/TBSs games that come my way.
I could honestly kill someone right now if it meant War of the Chosen dropping before I have to travel for a week so I can at least get my hands on the skirmisher.
>>
>>388123754
>because I can play even the worst SRPG/TBSs games that come my way.
even Brigandine, Massive Chalice and Hoshigami?
>>
File: serveimage.jpg (146KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
serveimage.jpg
146KB, 1280x720px
>>388123279
>What makes tactical RPGs better than regular old JRPGs/WRPGs?
Nothing. In fact they are worse because what they gain in strategy, they lose in the complete lack of exploration, which is one of the main pillars of any proper rpg.
>>
>>388123279
they add the layer of positioning, that's what makes them better, isn't it obvious?
>>
>>388123279
>What makes tactical RPGs better than regular old JRPGs/WRPGs?
You say that like it's difficult. For anyone who cares about gameplay, anything is better than a JRPG.
>>
I honestly love the relaxed calm pace of the games. It also allows me to tackle missions differently based on units and weapons/equipment.

Jeane D'Arc was my first foray into SRPGs, and now I've enjoyed about 4-5 of them, actually completing them. Which is rare form for me, as I dont complete many RPGs.

Jeane D'Arc
Tactics Ogre
FFT
FFTA
Front Mission 2
>>
>>388123279
Because the former involves tactical positioning, and often lacks the filler-loaded exploration shit. Most JRPG stuff is low level because positioning isn't even a dimension of them. A lot of them fall back on the fire > ice shit as well. On top of that, JRPGs are basically easy casual shit, and people only play through it for the anime storyline.
>>
>>388123279
Because they're more complex, even though they're still generally pretty simple and easy.
>>
>>388124164
Energy breaker is SNES tactical RPG with exploration, Wkfu is a MMO tactics game with exploration
>>
I generally find games like the Fire Emblem Series to be closer to the Genre of SRPG while games like Tactics Ogre/FFT are more like JRPGs with a SRPG-lite battle system
>>
File: jagged-alliance-2-1.jpg (144KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
jagged-alliance-2-1.jpg
144KB, 1024x768px
>>388124164
>exploration is the main pillar of rpgs
>posts some fucking J non-rpg
rpgs are about the rpg systems, not exploration, not characters, not branching dialogue choices. It begins and ends with the systems.
>>
>>388124164
>they lose in the complete lack of exploration, which is one of the main pillars of any proper rpg.
Fire Emblem Echoes still has exploration
>>
>>388125227
Because FE usually doesn't have an overworld, or why?
>>
>>388124135
>brigandine
My nigga
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.