[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is he the most honest game reviewer?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 69
Thread images: 6

File: lMG5l26.png (174KB, 620x248px) Image search: [Google]
lMG5l26.png
174KB, 620x248px
>Gets sent free review copies from companies.
>Shits on the game if it sucks. Tells people not to buy.

He's the only reviewer I know of that doesn't suck a companies dick in exchange for continued free shit. Is he... our guy?

Latest review:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6VwoB0-hIcE
>>
I don't feel like he reviews that many games though, or at least not the stuff I'm interested in
gggmanlives is my favorite
>>
>>388115481
>game """critics"""
>g-game is shit because random eceleb shithead said so!!
Kys make you own decisions you fucking underage
>>
10/10 honesty but what he wants from games isn't what I want from games.
He wants primarily goofy shit, from what I've gathered.
>>
>>388115616
I think he just wants the over the top feel of 90's computer games back
His sims reviews are 10/10 too
>>
>its a "clint takes a 17 year-old coupon for pizza to the store" episode
>>
>>388115481
>Gets all of his videos demonetized because of having a video on Doom
kek
>>
>>388115481

The way he shits on the recent Sims DLC packs and Gearbox's half-assed Duke Nukem reboot was pretty great. As much as I love LGR, he doesn't really do a lot of gaming based stuff anymore. Over the last year his focus has been on interesting historical anecdotes from tech history in the 70s/80s/90s more so than anything directly game-related. I think he even mentioned in one of his videos that he doesn't play games that much anymore and mostly does Sims videos out of a sense of obligation to his fans.

Great channel, but not the best review channel. He's a good storyteller and historian moreso than anything else.
>>
I have never watched a review of his. I just want to see weird old hardware and software.
>>
I like his hardware stuff more, think his channel is due for a rebranding cause he doesn't do games much anymore
>>
>>388115925

At first I thought it was pretty ballsy, but there's probably something inherent to the bar code that makes it work no matter what the year is. The only way it wouldn't work is if we made some significant revisions to barcode technology.

>>388115952

Shit, when did that happen? He hasn't made a Doom video in a long-ass while so this was probably at least half a year ago.

The guy's pretty AVGN-tier when it comes to how chill he is so I don't feel like he was asking for it or anything.
>>
Newfag here. What about yahtzee, of ZP? He often say bad things about popular games. Last time i heard, he got a lot of harass because he said that Nier wasn't as clever as it tried to be.
>>
He's pretty solid but limited. I also really like Gamesack although their jokes may keep you up at night thinking about how horrible they are
>>
>>388116275
It isnt, but I still like it
>>
>>388116275
Yahtzee seems overly negative. Plus his 'reviews' are all of 3 minutes long with half the time spent on 'jokes'.
>>
>>388115481
>balding

Why should I take him serious again?
>>
>>388116197
It was mainly about the reactions, the fact that the other guy at the cash register got so amazed about the old coupon makes the video so feelgood
>>
>>388115481
Jeff Gerstmann got fired for having integrity he may have contrarian and sometimes causal taste but he's the only person in games journalism to ever have a spine
>>
>>388116481

There was a photo of him from when he was a teenager where he looked pretty attractive. He has Mike Stoklasa syndrome where he hasn't aged that gracefully.

Then again, Mike still has a full head of hair.
>>
Ever notice how people are much more likely, nearly blindly so, to agree with and follow people with cynical, negative opinions? This goes not just for videogames but anything in life, really. Especially politics.
>>
>>388116610
He thinks Donkey Kong Country is equivalent to Sonic friends though.
>>
>>388116481
He should shave his head and get his rasputin beard grown out again
>>
>>388116275
Yahtzee's fanbase is abysmal
>>
>>388115481
He really likes the original Need for Speed games and that makes him pretty okay in my book.
>>
>>388115481
honest != objective
what you mean is "who's the least harsh one with their criticism", which is surprising, considering LGR's documented history of torturing and killing any NPC for fun.
>>
>>388116724

LGR isn't really a negative channel though. There's a running joke in the comments to his Sims videos that his early ones were so wide-eyed and happy, but the Sims 4 "Stuff Packs" made him become increasingly jaded and snarky as the years went by. Probably less than a third or even a quarter of his games videos are especially negative, from what I've seen.

On a separate note, there's nothing inherently wrong with cynicism, just as there's nothing inherently wrong with optimism. You just need to know what kind of person you're dealing with and look between the lines accordingly.
>>
>>388116995
Getting major deja vu here
>>
>>388116610
Gerstmann defends shitty translations and localization. Fuck him.
>>
>>388115481
if only he could get over the duke nukem thing
>>
His goodwill hunting videos are extremely comfy
>>
>>388117196

He's been obsessed with Duke Nukem for over 20 years. It's probably not going to stop.
>>
>>388116724
just because someone says it sucks doesn't mean he's being contrarian, maybe the thing really sucks and you don't want to listen

but If you really have enjoyed the imagine babyz inspired Sims 4 addon then godspeed to you
>>
>>388117089
well, these threads keep repeating themselves, so repeating the same conclusions goes with the territory.
>>
>>388117317

Threads keep repeating themselves?
>>
>>388117317
You mean we're here forever?..
>>
>>388117394
>>388117432
yes, the chain is unbreakable
>>
>>388115481
>Caring about game reviews
>>
File: Snack.png (105KB, 350x286px) Image search: [Google]
Snack.png
105KB, 350x286px
>>388117767

Unbreakable...
>>
>>388115481
Being honest doesn't matter much though, there's plenty of honest and good reviews that still give unfair scores to games from genres they absolutely despise or know shit about them.
The only reviewer I trust is myself and my experience, I'm not a dudebro normalfag who only knoes about videogames from tv commercials or a dumb 17yo kid, I can make my own decisions.
>>
LGR barely ever reviews games though, that said his videos are generally really enoyable because of how laid back he is and how obscure or overlooked some of the stuff he reviews is.
>>
>>388117225

Right? Most of his videos are and fantastic to fall asleep watching.
>>
>>388115481
there are plenty of people like that, you just only know one because youre a dumbfuck
>>
>>388115481
I like him but he only talks about The Sims and other simulations. Lately ACG has grown on me.
>>
>>388116275
The problem with Yahtzee is that he plays so little of the games he reviews that he is often completely incorrect when reporting aspects about them

An example that comes to mind is the Mario Maker game where he said that there's no mechanical difference between the different game styles (SMB,SMB3,etc.) when that is outright false
>>
>>388120403
true
that said Mario Maker is still shit because the game styles don't properly match the actual games.

so you can't spin jump on top of obstacles in Mario World, no wall jump in the original Super Mario Bros, momentum feels all wrong in the Mario Bros 3 setting. Seriously they did such a bad job of porting it over.
>>
File: 1503325206827.gif (942KB, 150x113px) Image search: [Google]
1503325206827.gif
942KB, 150x113px
>>388115481
>starts talking about his dead sister
>>
>>388115604
Yeah, I'm sure "toddler stuff pack" for the sims 4 is great
>>
>>388120603
I'm in complete agreement with you there
It was just an example of Yahtzee's laziness
>>
>>388115481
He's just on point. Love his content.

All the cool retro shit he finds and how his videos are put together is just neato.
>>
Why would I ever read or watch a positive review? The point of reviews is to highlight all the flaws so that you can decide whether they're big enough to matter or not.
>>
>>388120993

Has he ever done this? I've only casually watched his videos and thought he only had a brother.

I know that he had some serious depression problems for a few years but I'm not sure if you're being serious or if you're just having some fun.
>>
>>388121538
Sometimes people want to glimpse the emotion called happiness and excitement. Give themselves a little spark of positivity.
>>
>>388120993
When did that ever happen?
>>
>>388121538

His reviews of older games are more of an excuse for him to go into the history of a certain company than the actual game itself. I agree that a review for a modern game that's nothing but praise with no criticism is pretty redundant.
>>
I can listen to him talk about anything, especially Sims
>>
>>388116275

yahtzee got worse and worse over the years, he turned from an well spoken gamer to an bitter old man, who just hates games that don't fit his image of good game (Symphony of the Night). Also going to LA and leaving poor Gabriel behind for his annoying GF was the biggest mistake he made in his life
>>
>>388115481
He's pretty cool, to be quite honest.
>>
File: 23567864454.jpg (41KB, 409x409px) Image search: [Google]
23567864454.jpg
41KB, 409x409px
>>388115481
>It's an LGR Thrift episode
>>
>>388116702
Mike Stoklasa my ass, Rich has aged like absolute shit.
>>
File: young-mike.webm (2MB, 472x352px) Image search: [Google]
young-mike.webm
2MB, 472x352px
>>388124696

Speaking controversially, Rich was never that attractive.
>>
>ctrl+f
>Chr-
>No Matches Found
https://www.christcenteredgamer.com/
>>
>>388124892
Mike is a reminder that drinking fucks you up
>>
File: 1495937010744.png (460KB, 352x749px) Image search: [Google]
1495937010744.png
460KB, 352x749px
>>388125917

It's hard to believe that Jay and Mike are almost the same age. Jay was able to reinvent himself physically but Mike became visibly older in just five years.
>>
>>388116481
Gotta love when brainlets don't have anything else to use as their weapon except the genetics from their parents to be able to grow full head of hair.
>L-look at m-me... I have hair! PLEASE LOOK AT ME!
>>
>>388116481
Fuck off underage, you'll be balding soon enough
>>
>>388124892
He looked really handsome. no homo
>>
>>388124892
>tfw I'm in my 20s and I look like old mike
>>
>>388116290
GameSack is a great for hangovers. I really like the dynamic duo aspect they have going, i recently watched their old episodes, and even their first video ever feels like GameSack despite the horrendous production quality.
>>
I really like his channel and how he narrates his script, he's entertaining and comfy, though he says goofy and cringy stuff from time to time
I found myself many times just watching reviews of things I give two fucks about because the guy has an amazing voice and knows how to use it. And i don't really like the same things he does, but I think he's a solid game reviewer nonetheless
Thread posts: 69
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.