[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do I get into to this clusterfuck? Which game should I play first?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 6

How do I get into to this clusterfuck? Which game should I play first?
>>
>Games are numbered
>HOW I GET IN 2?
>WHICH I PLAY 1ST???
Shit I don't know
>>
>>388094730
Games are not linear from what I've read.
>>
>>388094589

Either release order or chronological order?
>>
If you can stomach them, Metal Gear 1 and 2. If not then skip to Metal Gear Solid 1 and read the plots. Then play MGS 2, 3, 4 Peace Walker, Ground Zeroes and The Phantom Pain. And no, don't play Twin Snakes instead of MGS1.
>>
>>388094773
Who cares none of us played it story line wise but as they were released
>>
>>388094773
The games like to jump around in time but just play them in release order. The story gets fucked towards the end so playing in chronological order will just be a mess and you'll end up more confused.
>>
>>388094819
this
>>
>>388094730
Played every Ultima, Wizardry, Final Fantasy, Might and Magic game from the first one, huh?
>>
>>388094773
They aren't, but if you play them chronologically you'll be more confused then just doing it in release order. Also they all build off each other off of release order, you can tell the writers intended the story to be told in that order.
>>
>>388094819
Thanks. Will skip 1 & 2 like you said and just read the plot.
>>
>>388094773
The later games take place in the beginning of the story but ironically are the ones that try their absolute best to patch up all the plot holes and do a terrible job if it. Playing in chronological order is a terrible idea.
>>
Release order is best because even though the story is non linear you'd just get spoiled out of some mgs1 stuff if you were to play mgs3 first
>>
>>388094773
people like you are the reason this world has gone to shit, never reproduce
>>
>>388094589
Release order. Anyone who tells you otherwise is mentally retarded.
>>
File: f9cc7643.jpg (96KB, 365x500px) Image search: [Google]
f9cc7643.jpg
96KB, 365x500px
Play MGS1, MGS2, and MGS3

And then stop.
>>
>>388095064
he meant MG, not MGS
>>
>>388094971
In the MGS1 menu under "special" is where you can get a quick rundown on the first two games.
>>
>>388094589
skip one, it's garbage. just buy the legacy collection and start on 2 and continue in release order.
>>
>>388095064

MG1 is so far removed from what the MGS series is now known for.

MG2 is okay, but the enemy sight range and angles are shoddy. MGS1 improved this immensely.
>>
>>388095120
I remember being so happy when i found that extra content after i beat it 4 times already.
>>
>>388095079
Don't forget to play Astronauts for a backstory on Meryl

:^)
>>
>>388094589
Play in release order starting with MGS1. It's a damn good game on its own that's still enjoyable today. The sequels refine the gameplay a huge leap every time, so if you started with a later entry, it's jarring to go back to MGS1 and see some mechanics are missing. Also, each game introduces something new to the story in each entry, so if you started from 3 and went to 5, you'll be able to enjoy it, but not catch all the details that reference previous games, even though they take place decades later in the timeline.
>>
Skip mg1&2 they're basically unplayable by modern standards and you need to follow a guide to not fuck it up
Play mgs is order of release. You can play all the games on ps3.
Skip Portable Ops (POOPS) Its on psp and it's really cannon. Read a synopsis of the plot maybe.
>>
>>388094773
They aren't but the way the story is told an evolves relies on the assumption you played previous entries. Release order is the only correct answer.
>>
>>388094773
Why do people think that they should play games out of order because their events take place in a different order? Unless a work was made explicitly for the reason of being a primer, you should always play/watch something in release order. Even though MGS3 takes place before all the other games so many things in there won't make any sense if you don't know the stories about Big Boss from the other games that take place later.
>>
>>388095287
Wait, all the MGS games are available onb ps3?
>>
>>388095440
I wouldn't reccomend playing MGSV on PS3 but you certainly can.
>>
File: The Order to play MGS games.jpg (2MB, 2398x3442px) Image search: [Google]
The Order to play MGS games.jpg
2MB, 2398x3442px
>>388094589
>>388094773
You play the games in RELEASE ORDER, because the STORY does progress and grow linearly through out them, no matter in what time period they're set.

You WILL need PS3 to play them all, and its Legacy Collection would be the easy mode to play them easily and in best form.
>>
File: MGS Legacy collection.jpg (142KB, 960x569px) Image search: [Google]
MGS Legacy collection.jpg
142KB, 960x569px
>>388095440
Yes.
You can literally play everything from original 1987's Metal Gear (1), to the 2015's Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain, on PS3 alone. Plus the later in the future set Metal Gear Rising: Revengange spinoff.

that's 11 good to great games on single system.
>>
>>388095440
If you get the legacy collection you get 2, 3, 4 and PW with a PSN code for 1. It's probably cheaper just to buy the HD collection and 4 separately and emulate 1. Don't play V on PS3 unless you have nothing else.
>>
>>388095745
>. It's probably cheaper just to buy the HD collection and 4 separately and emulate 1
Not really. 30 bucks for 8 games is a helluva good deal.

>Don't play V on PS3 unless you have nothing else.
it actually plays and looks damn fine on it, but obviously not quite as UHD as you'd get on any PC made in past 7 years.
>>
>>388095736
There's also Twin Snakes on Gamecube which can be emulated on Dolphin. Some people really hate it because of the cutscene direction but it's a much more palatable game with characters having actual faces and not just wiggling potatoes on their necks, plus the option to go nonlethal, and a more accurate dub without racist Mei Ling, no pointlessly british characters and Grey Fox not having the same jive voice as the DARPA chief.
>>
>>388096292
>There's also Twin Snakes on Gamecube which can be emulated on Dolphin.
You really, REALLY should not even joke aoub that piece of shit. EVERYTHING about it is a huge downgrade, and you are a gigantic Nintenbro if you even try to convince me otherwise.
>>
>>388096292
>ome people really hate it because of the cutscene direction
And shitty graphics.
And ruined voice acting.
And fucked up localization.
And characters acting like total morons.
And butchered gameplay resulted by injecting MGS2 mechanics into practically unchanged MGS1 maps and enemy layouts.

and something else I'm surely forgetting.
>>
>>388096351
You can't possibly think that the PS1 graphics the the fucking dithering and 10-poly characters has better graphics.

I'll admit that the cutscenes are silly as shit, but really it's nothing worse than what you see in MGS4.
>>
>And shitty graphics.

Not as good as they could've been, still better than the PS1.
And ruined voice acting.
?
And fucked up localization.
?
And characters acting like total morons.
?
>>
production order you stupid fuck
>>
File: MGS1 vs MGS TS - docks.jpg (421KB, 1273x443px) Image search: [Google]
MGS1 vs MGS TS - docks.jpg
421KB, 1273x443px
>>388096413
>and something else I'm surely forgetting.
Shitty new OST.

>>388096419
>You can't possibly think that the PS1 graphics the the fucking dithering and 10-poly characters has better graphics.
I can, because art-design > number of polygons.

TTS looks all flat, waxy, anorectic, and just plain ugly.

>and something else I'm surely forgetting.
They make Snake act like ADHD 15 year old with aggression issues, and move like a goddamn Cyborg Ninja himself. That goes against all the characterization and balance ALL main-line MGS games had.
>>
File: mgs vs ts ragesnake.jpg (41KB, 450x505px) Image search: [Google]
mgs vs ts ragesnake.jpg
41KB, 450x505px
>>388096535
This.
TS lacks all of that dark and rundown industrial look and feel the original MGS1 had. Not to mention OG was made to mimic the Yoji Shinkawa's artwork, which works way better in MGS than tryhard, early 00s ""photorealism"".
>>
>>388096535
Also being able to skip the fucking temperature keycard quest while never having to leave the hangar is reason enough to play Twin Snakes.
>>
>>388096686
>Also being able to skip the fucking temperature keycard quest while never having to leave the hangar is reason enough to play Twin Snakes.
it's not, and I ALWAYS did it the old way.
You ADHD kids should just stick to watching LPs on Youtube or something. Or better yet, end your life.
>>
>>388096676

Snake's body looks nicer in the original, which is strange considering he's mostly blocks.

He just looks more durable, and his standing posture makes the collar of his sneaking suit look cooler, almost like Solidus.
>>
>>388097025
Better character topology + silhouette design, together with the Yoji's art copying, strongly shaded textures make an all around more eye pleasing and interesting visuals. It's an effective example of art-directing triumphing over technical limitations.
Thread posts: 44
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.