[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Fighting games

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 11

How does one truly learn and enjoy it at the same time.
>>
File: 1459906709968.jpg (179KB, 533x800px) Image search: [Google]
1459906709968.jpg
179KB, 533x800px
>>388093308
Big tits.
>>
You have to have a competitive mindset. If you are bitchmade then fighting games aren't for you.
>>
>>388093361
But your pic is all butts
>>
>>388093534
It sure is.
>>
>>388093308
Theres your problem, you are separating the enjoyment from the learning.
It should be fun to learn.
You should play to get better and not to win.
>>
>>388093308
by playing players at the same level and occasionally winning.
by surpassing players that used to dominate you.
by getting gud
>>
>>388093361
I have a better ass than all of them
>>
File: alex-sf3end6.png (40KB, 384x224px) Image search: [Google]
alex-sf3end6.png
40KB, 384x224px
>>388093308

Find someone roughly near your skill level to play with starting out. Look up in-depth stuff for the game you're playing and get to know it like the back of your hand. Branch out online or locally since eventually you and your training buddy will know each other's habits and this can form bad habits or stagnate growth. Get used to losing when playing higher skill players, but learn from it. Save replays to dissect, maybe chat and rematch with better players if they're cool and let them know you're learning.

That's all I got. Just keep playing and researching. Don't ever try to be fancy. Be efficient.
>>
>>388093308
The learning is the enjoyment, improvement is the goal, winning is only a byproduct.
>>
>>388094050
Yes but i will always get bored on learning. Its more fun for me to button mash with very character.

How do people play it usually, do they only learn one character? How do they learn all the combo? Is it through training mode?
>>
>>388093361
>That fucking nose
Way to ruin it. Still would fuck her, of course, but god was cruel with her.
>>
>>388093383
Pretty much this. I guess if you have shitty friends to play a fighter with it can be enjoyable. But after that you're gonna need the chops to stick it out when people destroy you. I personally hate losing coupled with a desire to understand why im losing and correct it. Do i always succeed? No but fighting games specifically cater to this drive.
>>
>>388094317
>Find someone roughly near your skill level to play with starting out

The most satisfying shit.

>start a game the same time as friend
>go back and forth
>play after a couple week lull
>he's slacking, surprise him with something new
>next week he's stomping me since he obviously put more time in
>those close matches where maybe a pixel of health remains
>>
>>388094581
First you learn the game and its mechanics, then play everyone to see who you like, memorize their moveset, now practice some bnbs, your bread and butter simple shit, and use those in fights.
>>
>>388094317
I didn't know Jean Reno was in SF III. Is the same universe of Onimusha?
>>
File: Findthatstone3[1].jpg (62KB, 479x360px) Image search: [Google]
Findthatstone3[1].jpg
62KB, 479x360px
>>388093308
Shonen anime taught me that it's way more fun if you can find a friend who's starting at the same time so you can rival each other and then you're excited to learn because then you can overpoewr them
>>
>>388093308
You either like it enough to spend time doing same thing over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over. Or you don't and then I suggest sticking with mashing with friends, or just watching tournaments.
>>
>>388094581
Usually stick to a easier character well learning the core mechanics or just a easy-mid character. Hell sometimes i've started with a hard to use character but id say the only bad choice would be for example starting a game like GG as Zato or BB as Carl. Super specific technical characters that go past normal mechanics in a fight.

Fundamentals on how fighters work and understanding the core mechanics outweigh the character specific stuff when you're beginning. Now not all fighting games are as fundamental some have weak neutral and cater more to basic rushdown or have other lopsided designs. But they all still require the basic fundamentals of knowing how to make decisions and predicting the opponent.
>>
File: 1410677053781.png (1MB, 1047x1095px) Image search: [Google]
1410677053781.png
1MB, 1047x1095px
>>388094876
In reality your friend gets way into it, and before you know it he's 10 ranks above you, and he's way better and you know you will never catch up to him no matter how hard you try, so you just stop, and pretend that you're still interested in the game when you talk to him.
>>
>>388094876
Comically my best rival in fighting games specifically GGXrd since its what we play the most nowadays is someone i used to push into the dirt all the time back in the day. Like straight body him 30-0 kinda shit. But now i've hit plateaus and hes caught up alot to the point i barely win sets over him. I rarely have that beginning rivalry sadly but this is the equivalent i guess.
>>
>>388095121
>Never
You lost the second you started to believe this
>10 ranks
If its a fighting game this holds no relevance its not what is making him beat you.

Remember even the best of the best are humans. Super fucking polished with insane game knowledge reactions and decision making/fundamentals but still went met with someone of the same caliber have looked like idiots all the same
>>
File: 1503316219973.jpg (30KB, 478x478px) Image search: [Google]
1503316219973.jpg
30KB, 478x478px
By learning to enjoy learning.

Your goal and enjoyment shouldn't hinge on winning. You can feel good about a game you lost because you played well for where you're at and improved, you can feel bad about games you win because you played like shit.

If you enjoy learning and watching yourself improve you will inevitably get good at fighting games. When I started I would get 30-0d all day every day for what was probably months, but I had a lot of fun because I was playing with friends and I was learning. Now I'm playing with the best player in my country regularly.
>>
File: roguespin.gif (22KB, 120x125px) Image search: [Google]
roguespin.gif
22KB, 120x125px
>>388094876
>two friends get into fightan extremely late
>jump around different titles a lot but start getting pretty decent
>they play each other mostly and online, but always want to play me as a test of skill since I've been playing since I was a kid and have been to tourneys for various shit
>eventually they get to my level and start getting wins
>both of them get cocky after a while
>tfw just going back to basics, mind games and little things to fuck with them, immediately going after any weaknesses I see in a match
>watched both of them get frustrated and lose due to that

Kinda worried once they get their nerves under control.
>>
File: vidya.png (189KB, 431x584px) Image search: [Google]
vidya.png
189KB, 431x584px
>>388095121
You can look at it this way:
Maybe he is just better at learning techskill and fundamentals but sucks on the mindgames/decisionmaking later on.
He will hit a bump sooner or later and maybe it's easier for you to overcome that.

That's usually the case with my younger brother and me. He has the reactions, I have the experience so we end up with a draw skillwise. But he was still faster than me in picking up the game due to his young age
>>
>>388095639

>Techskill

Smash isn't a fighting game.
>>
File: 1498142534169m.jpg (131KB, 782x1024px) Image search: [Google]
1498142534169m.jpg
131KB, 782x1024px
what kind of fightsticks should I buy for my ps4? i tried one out a while ago on GG and it just felt so right. completely blew using a controller out of the water for me. money isn't an issue at this point, can anyone help a guy out?
>>
>>388094581
>Its more fun for me to button mash with very character.
i don't get it. having control over your character is what makes it fun.
>>
>>388095760

When you say money isn't an issue do you mean you want just something good or you're so rich you'll just buy whatever the coolest stick is.

Because if you're rich as fuck you should get a QANBA Dragon, that stick is fucking awesome.
>>
>>388095760

Dunno. I'm still using an old PS3 TE stick that's been solid since I bought it at release. Seriously sturdy as hell and has survived many moves and accidental drops.

I will say if you're not accustomed to stick it will take time to adapt. Expect to drop shit and feel like your hands aren't listening.
>>
>>388095990

something good, i'm not exactly trying to impress anyone otherwise.
>>
>>388095249
>its not what is making him beat you.
Yeah it's sheer amount of knowledge and execution mastery he accumulated over the hours of play. Something I don't have.

>>388095639
Yeah except it's not a race anymore where you have motivation to play, now it's a catch-up, and he's so far off now that I don't even see a point in trying.
>>
>>388095760
Qanba Obsidian is a great stick, If you're looking for something in the $200 range. It isn't easily customizable like the TE2 unfortunately.
>>
>>388094050
You're only half right, really, because there are two distinct types of learning in fighting games:
For people with legacy skill, learning is always part of the fun because you're not learning very much new material, you're putting something together in new and interesting ways.
For an interesting juxtaposition on this, people don't often have a pocket Eddy or Carl, because they're very unintuitive and require a great deal of additional learning on top of what most players already know, and even through Eddy is a joke compared to say Johnny execution-wise, you see few Eddys and almost no pocket Eddys.

For brand new people, that have to work just to get past the most basic obstacles you picked up as a kid, this can be viewed to learning Carl or Eddy -- it feels alien, requires lots of work, comes together slowly, and needs a few eureka moments.
>>
The problem is i dont have friends who play fighting game, most of the time i'll be playing alone
>>
>>388095760
The Qanba Obsidian and the Razer Panthera are the best sticks right now, given the platform you're looking for and the current arcade stick market.

There is also the Qanba Dragon, but it's too expensive for what it's worth IMO.
>>
>>388093308
I don't know, everytime I play one I just think about giving up entirely and uninstalling
>>
>>388097325

The trick is to make friends from playing fighting games. That's the only way I've ever been able to have any friends who play fighting games.
>>
>>388097606
How is the community of fighting game? How easy is it for me to make friends there who like, ocassionally able to play with me?

I was thinking of getting into it in few days. Any recommendation for beginners on PS4, i'll play anything as long as the online battle is alive.
>>
>>388098503

Depends where you live really.
>>
>>388096501
>Yeah it's sheer amount of knowledge and execution mastery he accumulated over the hours of play. Something I don't have.

you know that punk took second place at evo just one month ago, right?
for the record: punk is an 18 year old kid from america, and he knocked out a bunch of top tier japanese veterans who have literally played competitive fighting games for longer than punk has even been alive.
>>
>>388098503
Generally speaking it's a tighter knit community than most other games because it's a niche genre. People are generally pretty accepting of newcomers if they're willing to learn and not whining about how X is bullshit and Y is cheap.
>>
>>388098558
Im currently in UK, MOBA community here shit, its hard to make onlind friends here unless you know them in real life. That's why im asking what about fighting games community, thought they might be different.
>>
>>388094876
>tfw no friends into fighting games
>even if i did they'd probably be on console instead of pc
>>
>>388098503
the only fighting games with online that can be considered alive are Street Fighter V and Tekken 7.

so if you want to play traditional 2D fighters, you get SFV.
if you want to play 3D fighters, you get Tekken instead.

and dont listen to internet memesters, especially those on 4chan. they will just try and trick you into buying some obscure anime panty sniffer game with a double digit player count.
>>
File: 67.png (576KB, 978x730px) Image search: [Google]
67.png
576KB, 978x730px
>>388093308
Yes
It's when you actually know your shit that the game gets unfun
Playing against scrubs is boring and when you get someone on your level you get annoyed that you can't beat him easily
>>
>>388098780

yeah, EU isn't so bad for fighting games. I would recommend finding a discord for the EU community of whatever game you want to play. That's a good start for finding games and making friends.
>>
>>388095760
Hori RAP and replace the stick with sanwa.
There's some other worthwhile ones too, just don't get anything that's not customizable.
>>
>>388098872
>double digit player count
strange, I can find full lobbies at any given time even on PC which is considered """dead"""
enjoy dreamworks fighter v bitch
>>
>>388098872

Maybe start with those but branch out. There's a lot of good stuff new and old. I've had friends start with Blazblue so I guess anything's possible.
>>
>>388095760
Get a hitbox, anon. It's the new meme and it's very good especially for anime fighters. It makes IAD's and super jump cancels way easier as you can get those dank diagonal inputs piss easy.
>>
>>388099583
>fagbox
Shit's retarded anyway, just grab a $10 keyboard and rip out all the keys aside from WASD and IOP{KL:" or wherever you find more comfortable if you're determined to be a faggot
>>
>>388099751
Oops meant ASF space
Thread posts: 53
Thread images: 11

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.