[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why does /v/ like the dark souls series so much?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 5

File: Chosen_undead_artwork.jpg (111KB, 1280x800px) Image search: [Google]
Chosen_undead_artwork.jpg
111KB, 1280x800px
>>
>>388068608
It was fun
>>
>>388068608
They don't. They do nothing but bitch and moan about which one is better
>>
File: 1503508254972.png (597KB, 720x528px) Image search: [Google]
1503508254972.png
597KB, 720x528px
>>388068608
Flavor of the generation. Great excuse to get into pissing contests about skill. Souls fans are also really easy to trigger, so it's fun to fuck with them.
>>
>>388068608
It was fun. I like the aesthetics and world as well
>>
>>388068608
It's a fun experiment in the puzzle genre, but as an action game so people don't get afraid to say they like it. It's totally puzzles, with shit like "when you open this door 2 guards and then 3 more guards will rush you so you need to step back after opening the door or you'll probably die" and "if you knock this barrel over it explodes and all the enemies in the room die" and "this specific chest is always a mimic". Even the bosses are mostly puzzles, you learn the moveset and then correctly get past the fight by taking advantage of tricks like "hug his right leg" or "shoot the shit on the ceiling and the boss will get distracted" . Of course there are more blatant puzzles like "light the windmill on fire" as well, but people seem to prefer the "die to an enemy and then retry with your new knowledge of the situation" puzzles more, as they feel less like puzzles and more like exploring and "discovering".
>>
>>388070305
This is retarded. You're just calling learning the combat and improving a "puzzle" but it's really not.

There are certainly a lot of puzzles and gimmicks in Dark Souls franchise but even if you 100% know and understand all the gimmicks and the "solution", the combat is still challenging and requires attention and good reactions.
>>
>>388070571
>There are certainly a lot of puzzles and gimmicks in Dark Souls franchise but even if you 100% know and understand all the gimmicks and the "solution", the combat is still challenging and requires attention and good reactions.

That's part of why it's a good game. It's like a puzzle game that isn't pure shit once you know the solutions.

It's totally a puzzle thing though, you find yourself in a tough situation and need to find the prepared solution. Some rooms are as simple as "there's an explosive barrel over there", while others can be more complex like "If you just run past these guys the floor will fall out from under them and they'll die without hurting you". There are more meta puzzles like "this Lockstone slot does literally nothing worthwhile" and the mimics, and then more classic puzzles like "this NPC can only talk to you when you wear the ring that lets you hear enemy noises, since they are technically an enemy mob".
>>
>>388068608
It's basically 3D Zelda but done better and actually hard.
>>
>>388068608
For those who do I think it's because all of them, even Dark Souls II to a great extent, are a throwback to a time when games were games and didn't try to be movies. The seventh gen was rotten with games that didn't respect the player's intelligence or treat them like competent human beings. Dark Souls was a throwback to a time when progress was earned, victory was precious, the possibility of failure was everywhere, and the thrill of a game was not in some pre-rendered bullshit but in beating the odds and overcoming a challenge.
>>
File: Lordran_large.png (970KB, 800x2400px) Image search: [Google]
Lordran_large.png
970KB, 800x2400px
>>388068608
A combination of
>coming out at the right time when games were too forgiving and held your hand a lot
>having tons of secrets and a huge world to explore
>great soundtrack
>focusing on the more realistic aspects of swordplay and medieval combat without being too cumbersome
>having a story so mysterious and intriguing that it lead to more people playing and making their own interpretations
It's by no means a perfect game and has several flaws, particularly the rushed later areas, but it fills a certain niche that many people didn't know they had
>>
>>388068608
Dunno. Seeing how it's the Rick and Morty of video games.
>>
>>388075285
You mean Overwatch.
>>
>>388068608
good and fun video game
>>
>>388068608
Because its cool
>>
>>388070305
By this logic almost every game is in the puzzle genre.
>>
>>388068608
Makes them feel like they're good at video games
>>
Say it with me:
Artificial Difficulty
>>
>>388069017
This, and the worst part is that theres constant shitposters who spam the "Dark Souls 2 is better than dark souls 3 admit it /v/" bullshit
>>
>>388068608
It's not filled with the crippling accessability concessions that the vast majority of popular games have
>>
theyre good games and only some jackass contrarian would say otherwise
>>
>>388069238
Your fake triggering each other into Infiniti . Both of you interacting with each other think the other one is surruss
>>
>>388068608
i don't and never have. it's literal trash: the game
>>
File: Chosen_undead_2.png (597KB, 615x1070px) Image search: [Google]
Chosen_undead_2.png
597KB, 615x1070px
If the Chosen Undead had a canon weapon of choice, what would it be?
>>
File: 1446629718364.png (580KB, 800x2810px) Image search: [Google]
1446629718364.png
580KB, 800x2810px
>>388068608
It's Japanese and 4chan is a forum dedicated to Japanese culture.
>>
>>388079272
Bastard sword or claymore
>>
>>388068608
I just enjoy playing them.
>>
Dark Souls was fun and blasted the Souls series into popularity.
The franchise has been riding on the curtails of Dark Souls since
>>
>>388068608
They're not bad games, but their popularity confuses the shit out of me.

>Generic setting
>Does nothing new with gameplay
>Terribly vague story
>Godawful QoL decisions like not letting you pause if you don't have a current co-op/pvper in your world and no minimap

And the difficulty isn't anything new either if you pick the harder difficulties instead of normal all of the time in games that actually let you pick your difficulty.
>>
Challenging and mostly fair gameplay
Lots of replayability
Flexible story meant to be interpreted
Memorable symbols and characters
>>
>>388068608
I couldn't even beat Asylum Demon.
>>
>>388079850
okay now actually go play a Dark Souls game
>>
>>388079850
Why do you need pausing and minimaps?
>>
>>388079272
Doesn't he have a short sword right there in that picture?
>>
>>388079986
I've platted Demon's Souls and played through a chunk of the rest of its spiritual successors including BB

>>388080052
Pausing because lord knows when I leave my character in what I think is a safe space because something comes up irl or i need to pee some asshole enemy with a projectile comes through and fucks up all my progress.

Minimaps because who the fuck can remember where they just came from in those samey ass environments?

I don't need the map to tell me where to go, just fill have fog of war and fill out where I've been already.
>>
>>388080274
Bonfires mate, bonfires. Also the environments really aren't samey unless you have vision issues. Not even wanking the scenary, I just can't see how you wouldn't know if you've been to certain areas or not
>>
>>388079272
The standard longsword.
>>
>>388080274
You don't need to pause. The only thing to worry about is an invader if you're eligible, in which case just quit game if you're putting the controller down for that long.
>>
>>388068608
It's a game with an interesting world, beautiful level design, great sense of exploration and freedom, the combat may be simple and even a bit shallow but it's very effective.
>>
>>388068608
Because the series has great boss fight, lore rich, great aesthetics, fairly challenging, great replay value, and unique and fantastic level design
>>
>>388068608
Because it's fantastic and it reignited my love for games at the time, it was so exciting to play through it with my friend. It reminded me of old rpgs too, you know where everything wasn't perfect, there were plenty of flaws, and it was brutal, but you got sick shit, the world was great, and adventure just a great experience.
>>
>>388079272
Broken Straight Sword
>>
>>388068608
Say your thought first.
Thread posts: 43
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.