[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What went wrong?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 419
Thread images: 48

File: TurdoftheWild.jpg (124KB, 250x350px) Image search: [Google]
TurdoftheWild.jpg
124KB, 250x350px
What went wrong?
>>
They made it open world. Open world is becoming a dried up genre.
>>
>>388020725
look at this blind brainwashed automaton, following other people's opinions like a fucking sheep.
>>
>>388020642
They forgot to put actually fun things to do in the new open world.
>>
File: ZELDA - TAO LINK LINK.webm (3MB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
ZELDA - TAO LINK LINK.webm
3MB, 1280x720px
nothing
>>
>>388020642
not much
>unbelievably consistent
>so consistent that it gets a little dry after the first fifty hours
>or after the first five if you're jaded af
>great dungeon concepts even if they're all super short
>released so early in the year that it'll lose out GOTY awards to FOTM trash
>>
File: 1501282732732.jpg (8KB, 197x256px) Image search: [Google]
1501282732732.jpg
8KB, 197x256px
this is becoming sad
>>
>>388020642
Pretty much nothing
>>
>>388020642
nintendo gooks dont know how to make a good story anymore
>>
File: BotW3.webm (2MB, 620x500px) Image search: [Google]
BotW3.webm
2MB, 620x500px
>>388020642
My only complaints were lack of additional optional runes you could find in the overworld that would've added to that traditional Zelda progression you get and no cave systems to explore, other than that it's perfect as is.
>>
>>388020642
I know I'm in a tiny minority but I liked this game a lot.
>>
>>388020642
You didn't pay attention in school
>>
File: 9C2Ng4e.jpg (21KB, 474x296px) Image search: [Google]
9C2Ng4e.jpg
21KB, 474x296px
>it's way too casual (this point cannot be argued because it has too high of a metacritic score, and game journos HATE challenging games)
>framerate is disgusting
>not enough content to justify wanting to explore, since none of it is required to beat Ganon
>bosses are repetitive and easy to take down, including Calamity Ganon and his multiple forms, especially the last one which is just glorified quick time events
>weapon system is trivial because the game always gives you weapons, so at no point are you up against a wall and forced to "make due with what you have" since the game just throws a bunch of weapons your way anyway
>death has no impact because it's too "videogamey" to actually penalize you for doing bad, so you can just slam your head against a wall until it breaks, which isn't good game design
>vomit-inducing sex fanservice meant to appeal to virgins
>SJW pandering with the cinematic cutscenes
>cross dressing degeneracy (and it doesn't matter what context its in. If it's supporting cross dressing, it's tumblr pandering. If it's making a joke out of it, it's /pol/ pandering. neither are allowed in my video game)
>Way too much DLC which costs way too much. That content should've been in the game, for free, from the start
>hard mode is absolutely terrible, since it's not even that challenging. They basically just changed some health numbers
>not a single likeable character in the game. Iw anted to personally kill Zelda, Mipha, Link, and every Gerudo I saw because of how retarded they act in-game

Of course I don't expect anyone to read these gripes. They'll say "haha salty sonybro" or something, as if to imply I'm not an idort or that I support a certain console company. Any reason to discard complaints.
>>
>no distinct visual theme for dungeons
>dungeons were too short
>sense of progression was really lacking
>lack of enemy variety

Solid game still.
>>
>>388020642
They created a tech demo with some decent mechanics, and then forgot to make an actual game with it.
>>
>>388022131
>muh hardcore games for hardcore gamers such as myself for 12 arrows
>/pol/
>naivete
>lies
yup that about covers it
>>
>>388022131
thanks for the new copypasta
>>
The game is 10/10 when you're first starting out and exploring but the longer you play the more you realize all the flaws and the game becomes a 7/10
I'm glad I got it and beat it before other people starting realizing this too
>>
>>388022629
Once a sequel comes out maybe people will then admit this, BotW is like the first Assassins Creed or Far Cry 2.
>>
>>388022131
half of the points are actually decent but other half is retarded
though i agree there is fucking stupid trend where a character is crossdressed as a joke (a common trope in japanese media) and suddently sad suicidal tumblrinas have to write why is is to important and empowering
>>
>>388020642
Look at your image, OP. See how it says "THE LEGEND OF ZELDA"? That's the name of a video game series. A long-running series that's been around for 30+ years, with around 20 games released. In these games, universally, you've played as Link, navigating through dungeons filled with enemies and puzzles, acquiring new items/equipment/abilities, and fighting interesting bosses that require you to use old and new items to be able to inflict damage.

Breath of the Wild got rid of everything I just mentioned and replaced it with a large world. An extremely large and extremely empty world. It's a Zelda game solely because they needed sales, and this game would not have sold anywhere near as well with a different name.
>>
>>388022630
>muh hardcore games for hardcore gamers
Stop mis-using this phrase. This would only apply if I attacked the game for having a cartoony artstyle, not being realistic enough, or not having enough gore and blood and killing like Call of Duty.
>>
I started emulating it recently and it's pretty fun. Nothing to write home about but I'm definitely enjoying it.
>>
>>388023363
It very clearly applies to both, artstyle and difficulty overlap too often to be able to differentiate like that.
>>
>>388022131
>say a bunch of bullshit
>nobody can defeat my bulletproof argument

Just because your shit is literally too retarded to warrant a serious, good faith response doesn't mean that you won anything
>>
>>388023638
That's total bollocks. There's no problem with wanting a game to be more challenging.

>>388023871
>this argument is totally wrong
>no I don't actually have a reason why, but listen and believe I'm right
>>
>>388022131
is this supposed to be ironic?
>>
>>388023994
that's a completely different argument, and much more subjective than what you're letting on.
>>
>>388023994
>That's total bollocks.
So is saying a game can only be good if it's hard, post discarded.
>>
>>388023994
>>388023994

You outed yourself as a mouthbreathing dumbfuck the second you went off the rails to complain about the SJW bogeyman and degeneracy in what was otherwise pretty good bait
>>
No minish world (only in beta)

No real cool items in my opininon

Zelda was probably the most unappealing character (except for her personalities)

The trials could have been prettier and not always blue + most of them were just tiny guardian battles and retardedly easy puzzles (not counting exploits on how you wanna solve them)

The guardians killed it for me with the laser

last boss was piss easy

Hard mode seems like artificial difficulty from what I hear

Rain 24/7
>>
>>388024407
>>388024535
>>388024562
There's no point in playing a game if it's too easy. Challenge should be an ever-looming presence keeping the player on their toes. You don't want your game to be a movie, do you?
>>
>>388025025
>There's no point in playing a game if it's too easy.
If it's fun then yes there is, difficulty is entirely subjective anyways. For example I found Bloodborne outside of two bosses in the base game to be pretty easy yet it's still one of my favorite games of all time because the exploration and combat was fun for me.
>>
>>388025025
but there is challenge in the game, it's just not all the time. it's called pacing, something a sonyfriend would not know much about.
>>
File: a30.png (120KB, 478x328px) Image search: [Google]
a30.png
120KB, 478x328px
>>388024842
>reddit tier tier spacing
>>
>>388025025
autism
>>
>>388021127
>muh_physics.webm
every time
>>
>what went wrong?
Daily threads on /v/ made me hate the game.
>>
>>388025274
S E E T H I N G
>>
>>388022131
>it's way too casual (this point cannot be argued because it has too high of a metacritic score, and game journos HATE challenging games)
This is an opinion, not an objective fact. It is also pure contrarian trash. Claiming a game is bad because "It's not hard enough, too many other people play this game and I feel less special" isn't a valid argument.

>framerate is disgusting
This is actually an objective fact, though it would help to contextualize this statement. If you are comparing it to the 60fps bliss that PC gamers enjoy regularly, then it's about as good as any argument against any game that runs on a console.

>not enough content to justify wanting to explore, since none of it is required to beat Ganon
True, none of it is "required", but it is highly recommend. Just try taking him on without at least having enough hearts to get the Master Sword, unless you are an extraordinarily skilled player (which I'm sure a few people are, but I doubt you) you will very likely fail before you even reach him. I suppose you would be making the game "hard enough" by doing this, however.

>bosses are repetitive and easy to take down, including Calamity Ganon and his multiple forms, especially the last one which is just glorified quick time events
While the bosses lack the flair of previous Zelda titles, they are hardly any more repetitive. Also, I don't see how shooting weakpoints on a giant boar with arrows on horseback is anything like quick time events.

Continued
>>
File: redditSpacing.png (59KB, 640x419px) Image search: [Google]
redditSpacing.png
59KB, 640x419px
>>388025179
>>
>>388025158
>If it's fun then yes there is
Fun is a buzzword. You could have fun with Uncharted if your standards are low enough, that doesn't make it a good game.
>>
>>388025579
>weapon system is trivial because the game always gives you weapons, so at no point are you up against a wall and forced to "make due with what you have" since the game just throws a bunch of weapons your way anyway
"Making due with what you have" is using a shitty Boko Club you just picked up because you don't want to break your shiny new broadsword which does far more damage. The game may give you weapons, but it can be a pain to keep the good ones. I suppose it is a gripe, but it sure beats yours.

>death has no impact because it's too "videogamey" to actually penalize you for doing bad, so you can just slam your head against a wall until it breaks, which isn't good game design
This "poor game design" you speak of is literally the core loop of the Souls games, and it has been the defining loop of all previous Zelda games. At this point I'm not even sure you wanted this to be a Zelda game in the first place.

>hard mode is absolutely terrible, since it's not even that challenging. They basically just changed some health numbers
You forgot the increased enemy levels at start, the new traps and floating
Octorok platforms, the new miniboss placement (silver lynel on the Great Plateau for example) and regenerating enemy health.

>Way too much DLC which costs way too much. That content should've been in the game, for free, from the start
>SJW pandering with the cinematic cutscenes
>cross dressing degeneracy (and it doesn't matter what context its in. If it's supporting cross dressing, it's tumblr pandering. If it's making a joke out of it, it's /pol/ pandering. neither are allowed in my video game)
>not a single likeable character in the game. Iw anted to personally kill Zelda, Mipha, Link, and every Gerudo I saw because of how retarded they act in-game
All of these points are too subjective to be valid arguments.
>>
File: Zelda Killer.webm (3MB, 1920x542px) Image search: [Google]
Zelda Killer.webm
3MB, 1920x542px
>>388025274
>it was done before argument

then why dont more games do it?
>>
File: 5434336.png (51KB, 686x426px) Image search: [Google]
5434336.png
51KB, 686x426px
>>388025581
nice try autist
>>
>>388020642
Absolutely nothing. I went back to it recently and it's still one of the best games ever.
A true Kino
>>
>>388025638
>Fun is a buzzword.
The state of /v/ these days.
>>
>>388025579
>It is also pure contrarian trash.
Not if I have valid reason to hate the mainstream reviewers who couldn't even beat the first level of Nu-Doom.

>If you are comparing it to the 60fps bliss that PC gamers enjoy regularly, then it's about as good as any argument against any game that runs on a console.
I am actually. it's why I think it's funny that someone called me a sonygro a while back when Sony has this problem even worse.

>Just try taking him on without at least having enough hearts to get the Master Sword,
You can do that pretty damn easily. Shoot, a speedrunner did it at SGDQ and all they had was 3 amiibos. Of course you can say "b-but the amiibos give OP weapons" which opens up a whole new can worms as to why they essentially become pay2win, or why Nintendo would want people to have instant win buttons.

>Also, I don't see how shooting weakpoints on a giant boar with arrows on horseback is anything like quick time events.
Considering the game constantly slows down so you don't miss, and the game is constantly telling you what to do, as if you can't imply what to do on your own, is insulting enough.
>>
>>388025638
What are you even trying to express here, apart from bitterness at the lack of joy your hobby brings you?
>>
>>388025751
>muh_physics.webm
>my_soulless_mediocre_open_world_vidya_does_some_subtle_thing_better_than_this_other_soulless_mediocre_open_world_game.webm
>every single thread
>every single time
>tfw
>>
>>388025751
I got the platinum trophy in Horizon and stopped botw halfway through. The PS4 was also literally the first time in my life I ever bought something from Sony.
>>
>>388026043
If you make a game more fun at the expense of casualization then it's a bad game.
>>
File: 1494149419444-1.jpg (362KB, 1080x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1494149419444-1.jpg
362KB, 1080x1080px
>>388020642
Not much. It's ranked as one of the best games of all time, single-handedly cemented the Switch launch and objectively set a new standard for an enitre genre.

/v/ will never live down the humiliation.
>>
>>388025664
>"Making due with what you have" is using a shitty Boko Club you just picked up because you don't want to break your shiny new broadsword which does far more damage.
And does the game prevent you from just farming shiny new broadswords? No, it doesn't. You can go on about how "very few games discourage farming" but I don't really care. Following a common trend does not mean you're immune to the criticisms from it. It just means you fell into the same exact trap with no way to compensate.

>This "poor game design" you speak of is literally the core loop of the Souls games,
The overrated, poorly optimized, often broken-at-launch Souls series? I do believe that's a point in my favor.

>At this point I'm not even sure you wanted this to be a Zelda game in the first place.
I really don't care if it's a Zelda game. I just want it to be a good game. It's like saying Majora's Mask is bad because Zelda isn't that big a player in it. Sometimes you gotta ditch some conventions to make the game work better.

>You forgot the increased enemy levels at start, the new traps and floating
Octorok platforms, the new miniboss placement (silver lynel on the Great Plateau for example) and regenerating enemy health.
Essentially, garbage. I don't see any new AI revamps that change up how enemies fight you. I just see more things you can easily cirvumvent if you've already played the game. It's the equivalent of giving enemies more HP, you've just made the fight all the more tedious.
>>
File: ok.png (55KB, 461x301px) Image search: [Google]
ok.png
55KB, 461x301px
>>388026397
>>
>>388020642

7/10 game that no one can discuss normally because the world is empty while better games like New Vegas or STALKER still get weekly threads to this day while this thread will probably die in less than 200 posts because everyone's too tired to argue against nintendo drones who can only >greentext with le funny image.
>>
>>388026289
Fun is not an argument as to a game's quality. It's just something that only works with your personal view of the product.

>haha if you don't like Zelda you hate video games, nothing else will ever be good
Whoa, easy there shill.
>>
>>388026334
Physics are the future of gaming, retard, specially since certain areas in graphics will be reaching their peak soon.
>>
>>388021127
KILL YOU
>>
>>388020642
It's over and we'll have to wait years to play another one
>>
File: 1392266161583.jpg (408KB, 1046x1040px) Image search: [Google]
1392266161583.jpg
408KB, 1046x1040px
>>388026572
>I really don't care if it's a Zelda game. I just want it to be a good game. It's like saying Majora's Mask is bad because Zelda isn't that big a player in it. Sometimes you gotta ditch some conventions to make the game work better.

Majora's Mask is bad because it's a fucking lazy rehash loved by autistic fedoras
>>
>>388020961
>>388020961
>>388020961
>>
>>388026842
Hey now, I was just using it as an example. I spoke nothing about its quality. I could easily use Link's Awakening for the same purpose.
>>
File: 1ulpyx.jpg (33KB, 420x316px) Image search: [Google]
1ulpyx.jpg
33KB, 420x316px
Six months later and /v/ still cannot name a single game fit to hold a candle next to BotW. I will never not find this hilarious.
>>
>>388026662
Nice projection there with your memetext, kiddo.
>>
>>388026842
>majoras mask
>rehash

what did he mean by this?
>>
>>388027034
Morrowind, Dragon's Dogma and Horizon Zero Dawn.
>>
>>388026842
>Majora's Mask is bad because it's a fucking lazy rehash
>lazy rehash

It's fucking completely unique in the series you dumb little shitstain.
>>
>>388027153
No. Sorry. None come anywhere close to the player agency, freedom of movement and world design in BotW. Keep trying.
>>
>>388026217
>Not if I have valid reason to hate the mainstream reviewers who couldn't even beat the first level of Nu-Doom.
That doesn't further your argument against BOTW in the slightest, it is an argument about an entirely different part of the videogame industry.

>I am actually. it's why I think it's funny that someone called me a sonygro a while back when Sony has this problem even worse.
I will say it is a fair point to criticize BOTWs framerate, so point to you there. The Sony stuff doesn't add anything however.

>You can do that pretty damn easily. Shoot, a speedrunner did it at SGDQ and all they had was 3 amiibos. Of course you can say "b-but the amiibos give OP weapons" which opens up a whole new can worms as to why they essentially become pay2win, or why Nintendo would want people to have instant win buttons.
You missed the part where I admitted it could be done with great skill. Calamity Ganon is a boss that most players would find overly challenging without completing a good amount of shrines and fighting the four Divine Beasts. My point is that, although Ganon himself isn't locked off to you at all, meaning you can skip all of the game's content if you so wish, it does have a purpose, one that most players would be content enough with. Of course, I'm sure you don't want to agree with anything "most players" would like.

>Considering the game constantly slows down so you don't miss, and the game is constantly telling you what to do, as if you can't imply what to do on your own, is insulting enough.
This is a valid enough point I suppose, it certainly isn't challenging, I must agree. I did still find it fun, however, but that is entirely subjective.
>>
Bought it on release and played it for about 100 hours. After that i played through horizon zero dawn and witcher. Eventhough botw has some obious flaws that become more and more apparent the more you play it's the only one of the three that i feel like replaying. Enjoyed hzd and tw3 though.
>>
>>388027034
I can name multiple. I'll even double your fun and name my various GOTY's for the years.
>>
>>388020642
Difficulty scaling for mentally ill adult-children wasn't steep enough. The amount of content they offered encouraged the trash of the Earth to dedicate 200 hours plus to the game. Due in part to the fact that it's a game designed to be played by anyone of any age, the difficulty disappears from the game the farther along that 200 hour stretch you get. The trash got mad and started whining incessantly about it.
>>
>>388027124
>>388027182
>Fedora cucks being this mad

It's a blatant rehash that reuses OoT's assets and ideas. OoT is a better game too.
>>
>>388027491

>it's a "botw drone pretends he's played other zeldas" episode
>>
>>388027404
Back to pitchfork.com with you indie cuck.
>>
>>388027330
>That doesn't further your argument against BOTW in the slightest
It proves that Zelda is too easy. Time and time again /v/ has argued that game journos hate good games because they're too hard. Remember the defense forces for Wonderful 101 and Donkey Kong Country Returns? I'm sorry, but you can't take that back. Not after 5+ years.

>Calamity Ganon is a boss that most players would find overly challenging without completing a good amount of shrines and fighting the four Divine Beasts.
So why didn't game journos have a problem? Not even one complained about the difficulty. And they're pretty much a sign of a game's difficulty, in particular they're inversely proportional to how challenging a game is.
>>
>>388027404

You know he's just going to reply with:

>lol no

You think he actually plays games?
>>
>>388026572
And does the game prevent you from just farming shiny new broadswords? No, it doesn't.

Yes, it does, you can't farm enemies because they don't respawn until set points in time. You would have to sit around and skip over days over and over again until a blood moon in order to farm.

>Essentially, garbage. I don't see any new AI revamps that change up how enemies fight you.

Name a single game that has a hard mode that does this. In fact, name on that does literally ANYTHING other than increase enemy density/health/damage.

At this point it seems like the only kind of game you think is good is some arcade game tier shit where the game literally doesn't want you to reach the end without spending dozens of quarters. Seriously, tell us what sort of games you think are actually good so we can all laugh at you.
>>
>>388027338
hzd and tw3 are the same type of boring. Offer an obscene amount of content with thousands of work hours poured into side-quest writing to mask the fact that every gameplay encounter is the same, and the gameplay itself is restricted to one masked play style buried sparkly animations, shiny graphics, and progression trees that tell you otherwise.
>>
>>388027404
>Comparing completely different game styles amd genres.

Bravo. That pair of socks is better than that spair of spoons.
>>
>>388027609
>bringing botw into the mix for no reason at all

stay insecure kid
>>
>>388027491
>assets
same engine obviously there will be similar assets

>ideas
would you mind expanding on this point
>>
>>388027741
>>388027637
wowzers. >>388027692 was right on point.
>>
everything
>>
>>388020642
Not enough villages/meaningful NPCs, the world feels a bit empty. It's still a great game though.
>>
>>388027721

>mask the fact that every gameplay encounter is the same
>the gameplay itself is restricted to one masked play style

Are you sure you're not talking about BotW.
>>
>>388027708
>Yes, it does, you can't farm enemies because they don't respawn until set points in time.
Which is insanely easy to do. the game doesn't punish you enough for farming, it doesn't punish you at all even. I'd be okay with the idea if the game strictly forbade you from having more than one weapon type at any given time, to prevent weapon hoarding, but if anything the game encourages it. It's lazy.

>Name a single game that has a hard mode that does this
Right here. >>388027404

It's my game of the generation.
>>
>>388027491
Cry some more you fucking child. I don't see anyone complaining that the Oracle games use the same sprite sets as Link's Awakening.

Like all fucking morons, you ignore simple obvious facts to reinforce your own spasticated bullshit.
>>
>>388027927
No
>>
>>388027609
>>388027770
>>388027979

Autistic fedora cucks are probably the most insecure fags in the zelda fanbase. They're the ugly nerdy kid who plays second fiddle to their big chad brother OoT.
>>
>>388027964
How the fuck would a game punish farming? That's the dumbest thing I've ever heard. If anything, your argument should be that games shouldn't make you farm, because that proves the game was unbalanced in some way, forcing the player to spend time doing something menial and repetitive just to keep up with the difficulty curve. But that doesn't apply to BotW's weapons, because as you've just COMPLAINED about, the game makes it EASY to get weapons. You are saying that you want the game to force you to farm, but also it shouldn't make farming simple, instead making it complicated or detrimental. You contradict yourself in an obvious attempt to nitpick at something that you know isn't actually an issue.

>terraria
>hard

okay
>>
>>388020642
Absolutely nothing.

...well, a dog-petting action button would be nice.
>>
Being able to climb EVERYWHERE was a mistake. It would have made exploration much more satisfying if you had to rely on runes or specialty gear to progress. For example, having to use Cryosis or the Zora armor to climb waterfalls instead of the cliffs beside them, forcing the player to utilize upward drafts from heat, etc.

Once you max out stamina and get the Rito blessing, there is virtually NO challenge in exploring apart from the "lol too hot to be here" areas.
>>
File: 1500992646217.jpg (10KB, 269x269px) Image search: [Google]
1500992646217.jpg
10KB, 269x269px
These BotW hate threads aren't as much fun as they used to be.

/v/ has been BTFO and humiliated so many times that most haters just avoid these threads now.
>>
>>388028241
it's one autist samefagging hard. i agree that majora's mask is overrated as fuck in this board compared to OOT.
>>
>>388027927
There's an incomplete rock circle on top of a house in that sea-side village with the greatest comfy-village music in history. I completed it by strapping balloons to rocks and pushing the rocks over the circle with arrows to finish it.
>>
>>388028426
Why can't sonybros still come to terms with the success of BotW/Switch?
>>
>>388020642
not enough proper dungeons.
also, it seems like the map was made exceedingly large just for the sake of having epona make sense. they could've just made it about a tenth of the size and forced you to walk everywhere on foot. would've felt just as massive, but more memorable. I can't think of any reason to make a game world this big, even if you cram it full of things to do. past a certain point it's just redundant.
>>
>>388026572
>And does the game prevent you from just farming shiny new broadswords? No, it doesn't. You can go on about how "very few games discourage farming" but I don't really care. Following a common trend does not mean you're immune to the criticisms from it. It just means you fell into the same exact trap with no way to compensate.
Although your point against farming is valid, and I can see what you mean when you complain about the amount of weapons you gather, it leads to the more subjective criticism that the game "isn't hard enough". That hardly makes a game objectively bad.

>The overrated, poorly optimized, often broken-at-launch Souls series? I do believe that's a point in my favor.
And a beloved series at that. I'm saying that your taste in games must be extremely niche in this case, since you like neither hard games nor average or easier ones.

>I really don't care if it's a Zelda game. I just want it to be a good game. It's like saying Majora's Mask is bad because Zelda isn't that big a player in it. Sometimes you gotta ditch some conventions to make the game work better.
An admirable point. But after how much disfigurement of a long-running series' formula does it cease to actually resemble the games that came before it? You must remember that people still expect Zelda. If you don't like Zelda, then don't play Zelda. The changes they made were in a good direction, I'll give you that, but whatever you are trying to make this game into would be another game entirely.

>Essentially, garbage. I don't see any new AI revamps that change up how enemies fight you. I just see more things you can easily cirvumvent if you've already played the game. It's the equivalent of giving enemies more HP, you've just made the fight all the more tedious.
I suppose this is a valid argument, yes. What they did for the hard mode was bare minimum, but that's more a criticism against the DLC, not the core game.
>>
>>388028241

Why do you keep pretending like you've played OoT or MM.
>>
>>388020725
no, but open world with large empty grassy fields needs to stop though. does anyone find this compelling? it's the most bland thing you could possibly do with a game world.
>>
>>388028628
Because they've spent the entirety of the WiiU generation with zero competition, and they literally got too full of themselves and now cannot even fathom something being even remotely as successful as their baby.
>>
>>388022131
>If it's supporting cross dressing, it's tumblr pandering. If it's making a joke out of it, it's /pol/ pandering. neither are allowed in my video game)
>uses the word "degeneracy"
I saw this exact point months ago so I assume this is a copy-pasted response but it's still stupid

Why should you not be allowed to touch the concept at all and call it pandering to groups that japan doesn't even know about if you do? Zelda has had crossdressing/gay characters for a while now. There's the pirate in WW, the shopkeep in SS, the battleship game guy in WW, and probably many more examples

if you can't even have a funny gay or crossdressing character now because of "/pol/ pandering" then humor is dead
>>
>>388028304
What I want is a revamp of the weapon system. Make me work for each weapon, make it so that I have to actually be careful with how I use them, and instantly kill my character the moment I don't have a weapon on me. I want to see some punishment from this game, not mind numbing repetition. If you're gonna have weapons break, at least remove all weapon drops from the overworld so I actually feel like I need to conserve my weapons. That's all I'm saying.
>>
>>388028731
>does anyone find this compelling?
I do.
Learn to chill.
Plus calling BotW "empty" is like the textbook evidence for Sonybro detecting 101.
>>
>>388028241
Actually, I'm not. I fucking HATE Marjora's Mask. I hate the on-screen timer.

But I'm intelligent enough to know that it's just ME that has the problem and not the game itself.

But to call Majora's Mask a 'lazy rehash' just shows how much of clueless fucking retard you are.

At the time when N64 was lagging behind the PlayStation, Nintendo could have shat out any old xeroxed copy of OoT and banked the cash. Instead they developed one of the most unique, memorable and polarising entries in the series. That's commendable risk to take.

Listening to you ignorant children talking complete shit about things you know nothing about is just embarrassing.
>>
>>388028426

>valid discussion is hating

Most people consider the game good, its more that people who think the game is perfect shitpost and samefag, biting at literally everyone including people who like the franchise, each BotW thread until it's 500 posts/100 unique IPs. The zealotism has pretty much killed discussion of the game and restricted it to /lozg/, even this thread will die early most likely.
>>
File: BotW-Map.png (448KB, 751x633px) Image search: [Google]
BotW-Map.png
448KB, 751x633px
>>388028868
>Plus calling BotW "empty" is like the textbook evidence for Sonybro detecting 101.
This.
>>
>>388027648
>It proves that Zelda is too easy. Time and time again /v/ has argued that game journos hate good games because they're too hard. Remember the defense forces for Wonderful 101 and Donkey Kong Country Returns? I'm sorry, but you can't take that back. Not after 5+ years.
That is entirely subjective. If you don't like Zelda for what it is, then you aught to be playing something more suited to your taste. There is a reason people like these games, and as reasonable as it is to have a differing opinion, your gripes speak more to your taste and less to how well the game itself was put together.

>So why didn't game journos have a problem? Not even one complained about the difficulty. And they're pretty much a sign of a game's difficulty, in particular they're inversely proportional to how challenging a game is.
Is your judgement of a games quality solely around how many game journalists found it too difficult? That is the literal definition of pure contrarian trash.
>>
>>388028663
>That hardly makes a game objectively bad.
On the contrary, if a game lacks difficulty, then there is nothing stopping me from just watching a let's play of it on youtube. My agency means nothing in the game if it doesn't require any more than basic button prompts. Think of it like playing Uncharted or TLOU. What difference does my input make if the game isn't trying?

>And a beloved series at that.
Beloved because of Bamco marketing.

>But after how much disfigurement of a long-running series' formula does it cease to actually resemble the games that came before it?
Why would that matter if the end product is good? Again I point you to games like Link's Awakening and Majora's Mask. These games should be hated for altering the formula too much (no ganon, no Zelda, etc) yet they offer alot of good things and bring plenty to the table.
>>
>>388028998

So release No Man Sky has the most content of every game in the world and isn't empty?
>>
>>388026572
>overrated

Learn to think for yourself dweeb
>>
>>388028998
>it's okay when nintendo does it

fuck off. both of you.
>>
>>388027927
Conversations I've had with people on their methods to complete missions or encounters in BotW vs HZD or TW3:

BotW:

>Me: I flew the boat moored in the bay beside the goblin camp over them and dropped bombs from it like a war blimp
>friend: I built a small fort out of metal boxes and shot arrows from a vantage point
>3 year old: I killed them all with a sword and died a few times
>grandpa: I rolled that fucking rock down the hill after getting them to aggro me and killed all those monkey fucks

TW3:

>Me: I blew up that barrel with igni but it didn't damage any of the guys standing around it for some reason so I had to just dodge spam through them and hit them with the sword a lot
>friend: I killed them with the sword. didn't dodge once since half idled in jeering animation the whole time and they do no damage
>other friend: I did the same thing as friend one

HZD:

>Me: I shot them with arrows
>Friend: Me too
>Other Friend: Me too
>>
>>388028773
>Why should you not be allowed to touch the concept at all and call it pandering to groups that japan doesn't even know about if you do?
It should at least be important to the game and have enough justification. Link has no reason to crossdress because even encountering the gerudo is entirely optional. So it feels shoehorned in. Whereas Tetra being Zelda is a major story twist. It holds more importance. Plus it came across as far less creepy and fetishistic.
>>
>>388028790
>If you're gonna have weapons break, at least remove all weapon drops from the overworld so I actually feel like I need to conserve my weapons.

Then how the fuck would you get weapons? What happens when you run out of weapons, you'd be fucked over for the rest of the entire game.

For the record, I'm not even a fan of the weapon system they put in, I think the game would have been much better with (and I hate to say this) a more dark souls-esque weapon system, where you can only get one of every weapon type in the game, and possibly upgrade them into better versions (game already has weapon branches, like boko club into spiked boko club into dragonbone, etc.), the game instead padded the overworld with weapon drops and added durability to make sure you'd always be needing to get more, artificially boosting the content in the overworld as opposed to putting more interesting rewards inside of camps/shrines.

But your argument about farming is still just completely off, because the game was literally designed around how you get these weapons, removing the need to farm, since you just get them from any enemies you fight. If you're going to criticize, that's fine, but you need actual arguments to do it.
>>
File: map.jpg (256KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
map.jpg
256KB, 1280x720px
>>388028998
desu after playing it for about 180 hours I can see why people would call it "empty".

You can play it for a long time but it starts to leave a bitter resentment in you and I don't think I'm going to go back and play it again, because I already expect everything and there's no suspense about finally getting to "that part" which you might have in a linear zelda

I would rather go back and play OoT, MM, WW and even TP and SS. even though I enjoyed the game plenty I've now sucked all the fun out of it and don't want to touch it again
>>
>>388028676
>h-he hates mm so he must have not played it!

every single time

>>388028883
Nice false flagging you autistic fedora cuck. Your garbage rehash will always be shit.
>>
>>388028998
this is disgusting. I miss when the series was full of meaningful things to do. nintendo doesn't know how to design a proper open world.
>>
File: 1499333765732.jpg (3MB, 1000x5118px) Image search: [Google]
1499333765732.jpg
3MB, 1000x5118px
>>388029107
>>388029162
Imagine being THIS mad.
>>
>>388029191
Breath of the wild sucks, deal with it.
>>
>>388029257
>muh meaningful non-argument

Kill yourself.
>>
>>388029284
>it's the same purple prose description of relatively straightforward quests/activities written by that guy who can't spell
>>
>>388029007
>your gripes speak more to your taste and less to how well the game itself was put together.
I still have many objective gripes, like how the game has a very poor framerate, and before the patches had an unforgivable, laggy, unstable, piss poor framerate. The reason I hate the day 1 patches is because the Switch already has very little storage room. I don't need additional clutter, and I don't quite feel like paying out for a larger storage. Sure I can get it cheap for like 20 bucks, but little costs here and there add up, and it makes it harder to justify the overall cost.

>Is your judgement of a games quality solely around how many game journalists found it too difficult?
In many occasions yes. I'm sorry if that makes me contrarian, but I'd rather not trust the people who liked about Wonderful 101, for example, and how they said the game had no ending, but didn't disclose that they only played it on easy. I'm sure someone has a screencap of that.

Would you trust that?
>>
>>388025751
>s-sony has shit animation see
I'm an idort but you are pathetic
>>
>>388029216
>It should at least be important to the game and have enough justification.
It is literally required to entire the Gerudo town, which is home to several side quests and one main quest that, while not required to beat the game, is required to get the true ending of the game. This is you circling back to your "you can beat Ganon from the start, so the world is meaningless" argument, which has already been proven to be stupid.

And it makes perfect sense that Link would need to be a girl to get into the all women city, which is perfectly explained in Zelda lore and is in no way new to the series as a result of political climate. You are projecting your own political views onto the matter and then complaining about it.

>Plus it came across as far less creepy and fetishistic.
confirmed tumblrfag sjw. You're on the wrong website.
>>
>>388029249
This.
>>
File: 544.png (32KB, 736x864px) Image search: [Google]
544.png
32KB, 736x864px
>>388029316
>>
Can anyone here name a single other game with a chemistry engine so fine-tuned that you can light grass on fire, have that fire kill a wolf, which drops meat, take the meat, proceed to take out wood and drop it on the fire, have it catch alight with a campfire, then let that fire persist and warm up your temperature, then put a piece of meat next to it and have it dynamically change state into a cooked piece of meat that you can eat to recover even more health than it would have normally?

Nice job though, trying to hand wave that and make the game look shit because muh koroks. BotW has a living, breathing world. Its map size is only part of it, more important are the environmental, climate-influenced and chemical interactions that make it come alive. Who the fuck cares if your generic levelling RPG number 502251 has a bigger or more "dense" map (whatever that means)? I doubt you can name a single more in-depth game released in the last 5 years, let alone this year.
>>
File: IMG_6701.jpg (2MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_6701.jpg
2MB, 4032x3024px
>>388021196
My man. It's a great game. It's not that fun to go back to now, but I spent over 150 hours playing it, and I was in a loop of discovery that entire time. I played it twice as well. It lacks online and leveling which is what makes games like Dark Souls so endlessly replayable, but it represents a bright future for the franchise many though would potentially slag off the way of Metroid after Skyward Sword. (Even though I really really liked that game)
>>
>>388029191

Dude please. Horizon Zero Dawn isn't just arrows. Witcher 3 you also have bombs/signs/skilltrees/oils/runes/gylphs/crossbow/Oil+fire interactions, things that are actively used and not just fringe situations of anecdotes of how you took out a bokoblin camp in the most roundabout way possible.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bdisO_uOb38
>>
>>388029472
You are the only one bringing up journos here, I don't have to trust them. You can like the same things they liked, even if you don't trust them. Just saying "they like it so it must be shit" means you are a contrarian who literally judges things without even looking at them, only looking at what others say about it. I'm sure journos love ice cream, does that mean it's shit too?
>>
>half a year later and BoTW is still triggering faggots

based aonuma working /v/ into a shoot
>>
The only major issues I had was:

>Items break way too easily, and not being able to recharge them outside the champion weapons was kind of shit.
>Dungeons were the worst of the 3D Zeldas. Shrines did make up for it for the most part.
>I wish the shrines that were a test of strength had better enemy variety instead of one guardian of varying strength and weapons. I also wish there was less of them.
>The way the story was done could have been a bit better. I get the whole exploration element, but I would have been fine with a more linear story with the option to branch off.
>Quest rewards were shit all around. Rupees became useless after a certain point, and a lot of the rewards were not worth it for the time you put in.

Despite all of that, I had a lot of fun with BoTW and is my favorite game of 2017 so far. My only complaints that I feel were major issues was the item's breaking and the dungeons.
>>
>>388029249
I agree. The first 150 hours were amazing but then it started to get boring.
>>
File: 2710030-hk.jpg (103KB, 486x640px) Image search: [Google]
2710030-hk.jpg
103KB, 486x640px
>>388029958
>is my favorite game of 2017 so far.
Wrong.
>>
>>388029752
Journos hate ice cream because it's made with milk and milk is a white supremacist symbol because it excludes alternately lactose enabled bodies of color
>>
>>388029745
Describe one encounter of worth in The Witcher 3.

I'll give it to you that Horizon is much better than I wrote out, as the dinosaur fights have some degree of freedom in them.
>>
>>388029249
BotW is one large experience but it wasn't really made for replayability. I agree, I'm hesitating to bother with a hard mode run, meanwhile I've played through OoT on various systems over a dozen times. But the length of one 100% BotW run is still probably at least as much time spent enjoying the game as all my OoT runs combined.
>>
>>388029465
>all tha-that content doesn't count!
>>
>>388029035
>On the contrary, if a game lacks difficulty, then there is nothing stopping me from just watching a let's play of it on youtube. My agency means nothing in the game if it doesn't require any more than basic button prompts. Think of it like playing Uncharted or TLOU. What difference does my input make if the game isn't trying?
Not every game has to be gut-wrenching in difficulty to please it's audience. You could use this argument against any popular game series that isn't "hard enough", and they would all give you the same answer. You don't play those games for a frighteningly difficult experience, you play them for what they offer, whether it's story, or player freedom, or what-have-you. If you want a hard game, play one that's tailored to that type of experience, but telling me a game is OBJECTIVELY bad because it doesn't suit your tastes is not gonna be enough to convince me that the game is actually bad.

>Beloved because of Bamco marketing.
Beloved because people enjoyed the experience the games offer.

>Why would that matter if the end product is good? Again I point you to games like Link's Awakening and Majora's Mask. These games should be hated for altering the formula too much (no ganon, no Zelda, etc) yet they offer alot of good things and bring plenty to the table.
Because the people who actually enjoy the games for what they are (like myself) would not see it as a Zelda game. If I'm buying a Zelda game, I want a ZELDA game, not some other game wearing its skin.
>>
File: 1485456078445.jpg (9KB, 259x205px) Image search: [Google]
1485456078445.jpg
9KB, 259x205px
>>388030014
Not him but, are you retarded? do you have autism? or both?
>>
>>388029249
>>388029983
I agree after 300 hours i was starting to get bored honestly.
>>
>>388029241
>Then how the fuck would you get weapons?
Make them prizes at the end of difficult dungeons. Alternately, give me more options to repair them. I believe this exists in some form in BOTW, it's been a while since so my memory is hazy, but it could be expanded on. Give the weapons more durability so they don't instantly shatter. It'll make every dungeon feel like a breakneck race against the clock before your weapons lose their strength. It would teach the player conservation and how to best use their limited resources.

I think Dark Cloud of all games pulled this off nicely. When your weapon breaks, you either lose it forever, or it just becomes a 1 damage piece of crap, until repaired. I think that system worked great. Nintendo could've used it.
>>
>>388030026
I hate that this is closer to fact than it is to parody.
>>
>>388020642
It got praise and /v/ started losing its mind, that's what happened.
>>
>>388030014
What? He said favorite, not best.
>>
>>388030227
Both I see. Too bad people like you have to be part of HK fanbase, such an amazing game doesnt deserve this kind of fans.
>>
>>388029487
>while not required to beat the game,
This is my point. Having something so blatantly controversial be a sidequest is pretty stupid.

>And it makes perfect sense that Link would need to be a girl to get into the all women city
They did not need stupid fetishistic outfits for it. It served only to take away from the game and add trashy fanservice for the tumblr audience. It's a problem I've had with the gerudo in general since OOT.

>confirmed tumblrfag sjw
As if an SJW would care about the gameplay quality.
>>
>>388030041

What are you talking about?

>bombs/signs/skilltrees/oils/runes/gylphs/crossbow/Oil+fire/potions

There are shittons of ways of dealing with enemies, of which there are many. Combat is as varied as you want to make of it.

http://thewitcher3.wiki.fextralife.com/Creatures+and+Monsters
>>
>>388029983
>>388030170
How is this a flaw? Unless you're an ADD fag every game should get boring after a while.
>>
>>388029752
>You can like the same things they liked, even if you don't trust them.
true, but you cannot claim that the game has challenge when the idiots incapable of beating even a kirby game have no problem with it. It's basic logic. They've shown to despise challenging games in the past. They even make articles about how "hard mode is problematic because it's ableist" or some nonsense. It works as a point against the game's content and design.
>>
>>388030381
>sidequest
It's a main quest. You literally didn't read my statement. It is required to enter the city that is home to the quest line that leads to one of the game's main dungeons.
>>
>>388022131
haha salty sonybro
>>
>>388030529
If a game isn't entertaining for at least 1500 hours then it's not worth the $60 price tag.
>>
>>388030238
Pretty much this.

/v/ spent nearly an entire year shitposting cherry picked screenshots and spreading lies - doing everything they could to make the game seem bad.

When they BTFO by Nintendo, it was one of the funniest things I've ever seen. The humiliation will last for the ages and even now, 6 (SIX) months later, they're desperately trying to convince themselves it's all a big conspiracy.

My fucking sides.
>>
>>388030071
But which one is really better? Linear Zelda games don't leave you with bitterness and you still fondly remember playing them and the parts you liked.

In BotW everything blends together. You might remember that time you did that creative thing but you probably did it 50 times over with slight variations.

It seems like zelda games are going to be open world from now on so I hope nintendo takes their experience and groundwork from BotW and makes something with more memorable content this time. We still need dungeons
>>
>>388030529
You're getting meme'd.
>>
>>388025751
Currently playing through Horizon for the first time, did not expect it to be as good as it is. Though the water animations are definitely shit and were probably an after thought

is BoTW really that empty? its like the only reason id get a switch seeing as how monster hunter is returning to other platforms. We talking MGS V empty?
>>
>>388030159
>You could use this argument against any popular game series that isn't "hard enough", and they would all give you the same answer.
And what a surprise, the industry is in the gutter. Do you guys even wonder why people are heralding Nintendo as the "savior of the industry"? Did you ever consider that it was because we're all really screwed over daily by corporates who think games need to be watered down?

>You don't play those games for a frighteningly difficult experience, you play them for what they offer, whether it's story, or player freedom, or what-have-you
All games should have challenge, though. If you don't want it to be mandatory, that's fine. that's what difficulty modes are more. But Zelda gets points off for not only paywalling its only difficulty mode behind a season pass, but also gets points off because that difficulty mode is not even that challenging. I have every right to complain that I have to pay 100+ dollars for the complete experience.

>Beloved because people enjoyed the experience the games offer.
Because they're naive. Let's not dance around the bush.

>Because the people who actually enjoy the games for what they are (like myself) would not see it as a Zelda game.
So you would hate Majora's Mask and Link's Awakening at launch because "not muh zelda". And ironically enough you don't see the issue with people disliking BOTW because it's too much of a departure from what they're used to, and aren't fans of open world games?
>>
>>388030767
>Linear Zelda games don't leave you with bitterness and you still fondly remember playing them and the parts you liked.

Garbage games like TP and SS can fuck off forever honestly.
>>
>>388030041
>Describe one encounter of worth in The Witcher 3
All of them. The game actually needs the player to learn to be a Witcher and manage your oils and stuff, if you want to start a game on Deathmarch you need to sit your ass and read your lore journal until you have memorized it or at least remember it vaguely. The one and only complaint I will forever have on W3 is that they dont give you much prep time, if you gonna be medieval Batman, you NEED to have your prep time.
>>
>>388030529
C'mon dude, seriously.
>>
>>388030381
>Having something so blatantly controversial be a sidequest is pretty stupid.
How is it controversial?
>>
I'm not going to read this thread, but I would bet money on like 99% of these posts being overzealous nintendo fanboys absolutely refusing to acknowledge that BotW has flaws at all, and dipshit console warriors pretending like it's the worst game ever made.

Now give me my money.
>>
>>388030381
Who but an SJW tumblrfag would complain about crossdressing in a game because it "comes across as creepy and fetishistic".

I can just picture a journo now writing about it now
>gratuitous, offering nothing for our understanding of Link or his world. It's a grating, gnawing feeling at the back of my mind that says 'maybe this isn't okay? Maybe they shouldn't be using trans concepts and issues as a cheap prop?'
>>
>>388031145

Replace nintendo with BotW because they attack everything that's put into comparison with their lord and savior and I'll give you 5 bucks.
>>
>>388027034
Vanquish.
>>
>>388031145
99% of it is some one saying the game is sjw
>>
>>388030554
They liked crash, and they like Dark souls, both series are considered "hard" to some degree. You've already spoken out against DS so I won't bother making arguments here, but do you think Crash is autistically easy and therefore a bad game?

Also, part of BotW's design is that the game's difficulty comes about through player decisions. If you never upgrade your armor, a lynel can kill a max health Link in 3 hits. With fully upgraded armor it takes 30 hits, not to mention the ability to pause your game and eat health items mid ragdoll. The game is accessible to plebians who suck at games, but the things that make the game easy enough for them are entirely optional, and can be ignored entirely for a more challenging experience.

>>388030767
I'm not sure if you can really compare the two so rigidly, I love both styles, honestly.

It all comes down to developer story vs player story. Developer story is when the devs of the game craft a scene and have players experience it one, perfectly crafted way. Cutscenes are a prime example, but any game with linear areas (even shrines in BotW) have this in them.

Player story is when you tell your friend about how you were minding your own business when you were struck from behind by a frying pan in PUBG. It is the individual experience that each player has in a game that is utterly unique to them. OoT and other older Zelda games were more oriented on Developer story, where the player enters a room, is presented a challenge that the devs perfectly crafted to be viewed and solved in one or two ways, and then moving on to the next. There is nothing wrong with this.

BotW instead focuses on player story, by introducing tools that allow you interact with literally everything in dozens of ways, and then throwing you into an open world with a bunch of shit thrown everywhere for you to use those tools on. They don't want all players to have that same "memorable moment" , they want them to make their own. This is also fine.
>>
>>388029191
>le over simpilization meme

want to know how i know you're biased
>>
>>388029580
Notice how I got no replies. Nobody can name a single one.

Keep pretending you can criticize a game you didn't play though.
>>
>>388030920
>Because they're naive.
>People aren't allowed to have fun any way other than the ways I have fun, or they're retarded.
>>
>>388031145
as a 2d zelda zealot i resent everything about botw and the praise it gets
>>
File: ACfag.png (899KB, 1920x2400px) Image search: [Google]
ACfag.png
899KB, 1920x2400px
>>388031145
Just a reminder that nintendo fanboys are wasting time with a legit autistic
>>
As someone who doesn't really enjoy open world games I thought the open world was well done. I had a blast exploring and climbing. I just hope they learn to balance that with better story progression in future games of the style

My biggest issues were did stem from it being open world however. All of the dungeons felt short, unimportant and lacking any meaningful progression checks becuase they could be tackled in any order. Same with the shrines.

Also the voice acting was fairly rough. Only Revali seemed to be any good IMO. With Zelda being the worst. I had a feeling her voice actress wasn't even British, but an American faking a British accent and sure enough she's from fucking Michigan
>>
>>388031418

Can you use a grappling hook in botw? Hook onto a jet, parachute and gun down a truck while throwing c4 before hooking again onto an enemy helicopter, throwing the guy out and firing missiles at an incoming convoy?

You're being a faggot if you think that "name a game that does what another game does really specifically." You can literally do that with every game.
>>
>>388031691
Wait you can put Jets on auto pilot in Just cause 3?
>>
>>388031691
>just cause fag calling botw empty
Lol.
>>
>>388030456
Describe one ENCOUNTER of worth in The Witcher 3.

In my experience, every encounter plays out similarly since the game locks you into combat animations more limited than its Assassin's Creed and Batman inspirations once each encounter starts. There is no physical freedom and no enemy variety on a mechanical level. The monsters each have a gimmick that you can easily deal with to facilitate unloading a ton of animation damage on them, and the humans have 4 enemy types that you can deal with just as easily, moreso if you're using signs and bombs, which either facilitate your ability to whack them with a sword repeatedly or slowly kill them outright while you dodge around the battlefield.

The crossbow is a supplemental tool, not an outlet for gameplay expression, in the same way that fire, oils, and glyphs are. You're saying that the ability to do more damage or buff a certain trait adds to mechanical variety, when all it does is narrow the focus of your actions.

Bombs are similar to these support items, but do enough damage and crowd control to deal with a number of enemies.

Signs are the only viable competitor to swordplay in terms of a separate gameplay option that provides a fresh, independent experience, but as a total gameplay focus are unappealing due to your DPS as as a swordsman being 500% higher if focused on.

My point is, there are options but you're trapped in a small box to explore these options. There are also a very small amount of options that orbit a central option - swordplay - on a design level. Add in that the combat teeters on being broken due to glitches and hit box registration, and you have a subpar combat experience.
>>
>>388020642
They couldn't find a way to reach 11/10.
>>
>>388031641
Sadly, that's not an argument.
>>
>>388031641
>an RPG is not a game
What?
>>
>>388031641
>someone made a collage of people who disagreed with them about various nintendo-related topics and then got it in their head that it's all the work of one person.
You wanna talk about autism?
>>
>>388031881

Name one in BotW. Use the same autism that you showed in this post.
>>
>>388030612
>It is required to enter the city that is home to the quest line that leads to one of the game's main dungeons.
It's not required to beat the final boss, so I can't count as it anything other than a sidequest.

>>388031121
Blatant fetishistic cross-dressing is controversial in this climate. Serving no purpose in beating ganon just makes it even more insulting.
>>
>>388031310
Months later and I don't remember any of my player stories. It's all a blur.

I just remember the thin plot.
>>
>>388032005
>Name one in BotW.
Ganon because you beat the game
>>
>>388031936
breath of the wild just doesn't belong here.
>less than 2 hours in a game that lasts 150
>significant
>when most of the cutscenes are entirely optional
>>
>>388031849

>missing the point

Is there any game that lets me fly around as superman? Fly through rings like an angel, punch bad guys and then finish it off with blowing tornados? Is there any game that comes close to that level of freedom?
>>
>>388031939
Refer to >>388031936, any game that relies on cinematics and stripping control away from the player is not a game.
>>
>>388032087

Are you serious, m8. Ganon? Half health from the start Ganon, or target practice ganon.
>>
>>388032206
I see you don't know what an RPG is

If you dislike all RPGs, you simply don't have a leg to stand on. You're a laughingstock who should be making Braid and complaining that botw is patronizing you
>>
>>388020642
>empty/repetitive open world nonsense, emphasizing copypasted over original, quality content
>weapon durability is shit
>weapon variety is shit and movesets are far too small
>enemy variety is shit, and outside lynels mobs are a joke
>armor and food utterly break combat
>dungeons essentially have no enemies and are just one open room, which feels wildly inappropriate for what should be intricate interior environments
>lazy Hard mode despite having to pay for it
>having to do dumb quests and minigames to enter a dungeon, instead of being able to enter by regular exploration
>last boss essentially isn't a fight
>combat shrines are either identical or straight upgrades to one another
>Champ powers are cooldown over meter based
>rain is awful, and the workarounds (waiting it out, going elsewhere) aren't so much workarounds as avoiding it altogether
>>
>>388031196
>Who but an SJW tumblrfag would complain about crossdressing in a game because it "comes across as creepy and fetishistic".
When it taints all discussion of the game because people just want to see Link get screwed in the rear by fat hairy men and futa gerudo doms, it indeed comes across as a legitimate problem. A fanbase is supposed to be supportive and not degenerate, but we've gone so far down in this industry that such an idea is laughable in the modern age.

>>388031310
>but do you think Crash is autistically easy and therefore a bad game?
Crash has its own massive bouquet of problems, so to imply that it's a masterpiece (not that I'm saying you are, but as an example) is just foolish.

>The game is accessible to plebians who suck at games, but the things that make the game easy enough for them are entirely optional, and can be ignored entirely for a more challenging experience.
My problem is that it gives too much leeway to the filthy casuals while asking me to jump through hoops and avoid pretty much the entire game just so I can feel a challenge. To me, Breath of the Wild is a 2 hour long game at best, because to go any farther into it would completely trivialize my experience by making it too easy. Do you see the issue here? Why would I want to explore and fight enemies and collect items if every one will just make the bosses a cakewalk? And why would I consider the game good if I can only garner a few hours of gameplay out of it before it bores me?
>>
>>388032153
They shouldn't be there at all, optional or not and there are mandatory cutscenes like the one at the beginning where you speak with the king.
>>
File: Fedora's Mask.jpg (104KB, 1024x1235px) Image search: [Google]
Fedora's Mask.jpg
104KB, 1024x1235px
>>388026842
>>
>>388032026
>Blatant fetishistic cross-dressing is controversial in this climate.
So because of some western bullshit is happening Japan can't do something they've been doing for years and the also must change the Gerudo to fit American needs?
>Serving no purpose in beating ganon just makes it even more insulting.
99% of the shit you do serves no purpose but it makes Ganons boss fight much easier, gives you a way to avoid lighting, ipens up the secret shop that lets you get more clothing, opens up a boss, gives you a heart container, gives a very powerful ability, and lets you do one of the best dungeons. While it isn't necessary to beat Gannon it is necessary to get the true ending in see everything above.
>>
>>388032026
>It's not required to beat the final boss, so I can't count as it anything other than a sidequest.
Then you're still a retard who can't grasp the concept of this game. Just because you can beat Ganon from the start doesn't mean the game expects you to or is designed around it. The same time you get the quest to Kill Ganon, you get the quest to go to Kakariko, and from there you get the quest to go to Gerudo city. It is a main quest, the game literally calls it a main quest, and several story plot points are associated with it, as well as a new key item in your inventory that unlocks a new ability and has an affect on the final battle and epilogue of the game. You are the only one dumb enough to call it a side quest.

>Blatant fetishistic cross-dressing is controversial in this climate.
Again with the "blatant fetishistic" bs, it's a funny joke that Nintendo has been making for decades, longer than you've been alive. It has nothing to do with America's political climate, because it was written by a jap in Japan where there is no controversy over this. Like I said before, you are projecting your own politics into this shit. You are no better than the Polygon review of that VR gun game.
>>
>>388032159
You're a fucking idiot. Seriously.
>>
>>388032153
>game lasts 150 hours
>but taking out 2 hours of story would ruin it forever

:pondering:
>>
>>388032256
A bit of both
>>
>>388032384
>the game is ruined because someone wants to fuck the main character
I'm sorry but people are going to do that whether he crossdresses or not

This thread is fulled with discussion of botw not pertaining to crossdressing, because only you brought it up. You politicized it, nobody else

You are functionality identical to a SJW who demands proper respect for stupid shit that only they care about. Nintendo doesn't need a justification to put a funny crossdressing thing where you can't get into the female-only town another way. It's basically just a more creative way of doing the majora's mask gerudo again
>>
File: 1309497636875.png (793KB, 800x800px) Image search: [Google]
1309497636875.png
793KB, 800x800px
>>388020642
if we're being serious, nintendo bit off more than they could chew.

they saw the popularity of open world games in the west and thought they could do the same in-house with zelda.
they spent all that time making a decent map and physics but forgot to make content for the player.
dungeons, enemies and items suffered hard. the whole survival element seemed poorly thought out too.
>>
File: i-it's a victory lap.jpg (223KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
i-it's a victory lap.jpg
223KB, 1280x720px
>>388020642

LOL But seriously, what the fuck was this?
>>
>>388032563
>So because of some western bullshit is happening Japan can't do something they've been doing for years and the also must change the Gerudo to fit American needs?
More like "they shouldn't include it period unless they can implement in a way that isn't creepy". That means lose the midriff, and get the degenerates out of the fanbase who masturbate to it. Personally, I would make it a requirement to beating the game, so it seems like something you have to bear. I know it sounds weird, but work with me here. When you have no other options, a last resort comes across as less painful. If Link absolutley had to do it and he was disgusted by it every moment, it would be far more tolerable. Oh, it would also help if Link wasn't a retarded sissy child and the gerudo weren't unlikable bitches. That would help.

>99% of the shit you do serves no purpose but it makes Ganons boss fight much easier
He's supposed to be the reincarnation of the most ancient evil in the zelda universe. Nothing should allow you to kill him unless you get 100%. This whole "oh you can kill him with basic weapons" garbage just reeks of laziness.
>>
>>388032384
>Crash has its own massive bouquet of problems, so to imply that it's a masterpiece (not that I'm saying you are, but as an example) is just foolish.
Not talking about the quality of the game, talking about the difficulty. Is Crash "easy"? No, it is not. But reviewers like it, so by your logic it must be easy. Your logic is flawed.

>jump through hoops and avoid pretty much the entire game just so I can feel a challenge.
To make the game challenging, all you need to do is not upgrade armor and not eat health restoring food mid combat. Those two things right there are all it takes. Getting all 30 hearts will barely make the tougher enemies less of a challenge, so you can still get those. No weapons in the game make the most difficult enemies simple to fight. Silver Lynels and all boss enemies still take several hits and put you directly in the way of attacks that can easily kill you in 2-3 hits. Armor upgrades and mid combat eating are where 100% of the casualness come from, and are the easiest things to avoid. You in fact must go out of your way to actually do those, so your experience would actually be MORE streamlined, not less.
>>
>>388032005
My problem with stooping to your strawman is that it would take me a lot longer. Breath of the Wild's gameplay is inseparable from the way its physics work, a rule that any good 3D non-movie game should follow.

The desert island shrine alone as a concept is miles beyond anything in The Witcher.
>>
>>388032391
>all or nothing absolutist faggot
>>388032638
It wouldn't ruin it. It would have a negative impact though

If you think cutscenes shouldn't exist in games at all regardless of their length then you're a hipster faggot who should be talking about how his indie game is saving gaming while everything else is killing it

You just want game developers to throw out money. Most people do not mind cutscenes when they're the correct dosage. And that doesn't have to be 0
>>
File: IMG_4038.png (1MB, 1334x750px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4038.png
1MB, 1334x750px
>>388028732
This makes sense.
>>
>>388020642
Link is right-handed for no reason and you can't rename him.
>>
>>388032941
>More like "they shouldn't include it period unless they can implement in a way that isn't creepy". That means lose the midriff, and get the degenerates out of the fanbase who masturbate to it.
The fanbase will masterbate to Link with or without the fucking Gerudo outfit, saying it's sjw and not needed simply because people find link sexy is stupid I'm sorry.
>>
>>388032564
>Just because you can beat Ganon from the start doesn't mean the game expects you to or is designed around it.
As long as I can beat him so early, it speaks poorly of the game. I have expectations from a final boss, and NOT being a cakewalk is one of them.

>It is a main quest, the game literally calls it a main quest
The game can call it alot of things, but it's a sidequest so long as I can skip it and fight ganon.

>it's a funny joke that Nintendo has been making for decades
What was funny about it? "Let's waste my time on something that's not improving my gameplay experience"? Funfact, FF7 did this too, and even though it was required to beat the game, I stilll hated it because it obviously came across as some pervert's wet dream. The bigger issue was that it ruined gameplay pacing though, by forcing me to do a bunch of crappy minigames. So it was pretty worse.
>>
>>388032995

>My problem with stooping to your strawman is that it would take me a lot longer.

That's my line if you're the one who started off this off with this idiotic post. >>388029191
>>
>>388032827
>they saw the popularity of open world games in the west and thought they could do the same in-house with zelda.
But they did do the same as every western open world game though. Every single one feels empty and has a lack of actual content
>>
>>388032774
>Nintendo doesn't need a justification to put a funny crossdressing thing
Everything in their video game needs a justification. If the gerudo outfit vastly changed gameplay for the better, I could see the use. I wouldn't like it, but I could understand it. But it doesn't.
>>
>>388020642
It's basically Far Cry 4 with some features removed and some added.
If you like Far Cry, you'll probably like BotW.
>>
>>388020642

spawned faggot threads like yours nonstop
>>
>>388033323
the justification is "it's funny"
why should nintendo care if degenerates want to fuck an underage boy?
>>
>>388033310
imagine if the only thing you found in oblivion and fallout 3 was korok seeds and copy pasted stables.
this is the opposite of content
>>
>>388033197
>As long as I can beat him so early, it speaks poorly of the game.
You can't beat him early. When I say you, I mean You, the person I'm talking to. Other people can, because they have autistically planned out their route to know exactly how many weapons they need and exactly how many of what type of hit to land on bosses to do the right amount of damage to get through. But you can't, you're just bitching about the fact that the game allows you to attempt it. Because you are a child.

And your childish reaction to a cross dressing joke is just further proof of that. Even if you don't find the joke funny (I don't really think it was that funny, it's just there), your autistic hatred of it shows how immature you truly are.
>>
>>388032987
>Is Crash "easy"? No, it is not.
Stopped reading that paragraph right there.

>To make the game challenging, all you need to do is not upgrade armor and not eat health restoring food mid combat.
And you have to avoid stronger weapons, you have to avoid getting any hearts, you can't fight a single boss, you can't collect any items, you have to rush right to ganon. Fighting even one blight will completely casualize him and strip his health. And at that point why should I jump through that many hoops? I'm no longer having fun.
>>
>>388032941
>Personally, I would make it a requirement to beating the game, so it seems like something you have to bear.
This is fucking hilarious.

Are you diagnosed with autism or something? I mean seriously. You're completely latched onto this concept of "beating" the game where everything is turned on its head just because you can go right to the final boss.

It's functionally required for beating the game. If you didn't do all the divine beasts then you didn't really complete it. Only an autist would get obsessed with the technicality.
>>
File: surprise.jpg (4KB, 298x169px) Image search: [Google]
surprise.jpg
4KB, 298x169px
>>388020642
Yahaha, you found me!
>>
File: IMG_4037.png (239KB, 696x720px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4037.png
239KB, 696x720px
Can we at least admit it's not worth going back to after you've seen everything?
>>
>>388033323
It allows you to surive in the desert and it lets you access an entire town. How is that not vastly changed gameply?
>>
>>388033050
>If you think cutscenes shouldn't exist in games at all regardless of their length then you're a hipster faggot who should be talking about how his indie game is saving gaming while everything else is killing it
Maybe I'm sick of games having inflated budgets because we needed to "make the characters deeper" or some nonsense.

>Most people do not mind cutscenes when they're the correct dosage
The correct dosage is 0 when your game is poorly optimized and feels obviously rushed. Where's the priorities?
>>
>>388033323
It doesn't need a justification that meets your SJW standards by having a deep impact on Link's character or making us understand his world or become enlightened about trans issues or something.

Why can you boil eggs? You just can. It's cool. Why does the Bolson dance exist? It's just funny.

Fuck your justification.
>>
>>388033182
What purpose does it serve in the game then? Nothing. The sidequest you require it for isn't even that good, and is just a slog that slows down the rest of the game.
>>
Nothing went wrong and I can prove that with this 8
>>
>>388033323
>the gerudo outfit vastly changed gameplay for the better, I could see the use.
It literally prevents you from getting overheated.
>>
>>388033547
>And you have to avoid stronger weapons, you have to avoid getting any hearts, you can't fight a single boss, you can't collect any items, you have to rush right to ganon.

Clearly you didn't read any of the rest of that statement, since I literally address all of these. More hearts won't help hardly at all if you have shit armor. Stronger weapons, especially against Ganon, hardly mean shit, because he takes a shitload of damage to kill unless you use either the Master Sword or ancient arrows. The bosses can all be beaten and even when Ganon is stripped of half of his health he's still a challenge if you have no armor. Literally all of his attacks will kill you in 1 or 2 hits, even from 30 hearts. There are no items in game that have any meaningful impact on this fight beyond weapons which you've already listed, so you're just falsely padding your list of things to avoid at this point, because you know you're wrong.
>>
>>388033768
>What purpose does it serve in the game then?
To get inside Geurdo Town to complete the story
>>
>>388033768
As a gateway to the town's content.

The same purpose a key to a castle exists. Or having to find the 3 magic circles and activate them in order to open the portal to the void of infinite darkness.

By this logic everything has no purpose unless it is the killing blow on the boss. Why the fuck do I have to get a weapon? Why can't I just be given a button that I press to kill him? Why do I have to learn his backstory? It doesn't matter, just tell me he's evil and my enemy and I'll kill him. Why do I have to cross this land to get to him? It just bogs down the game. It would be far more convenient if you just started me off in his room.

Your position is fucking stupid. How many months have you been complaining about the game by the way? Because this tumblr/pol dichotomy is clearly you every time.
>>
>>388028868
>Plus calling BotW "empty" is like the textbook evidence for Sonybro detecting 101.
Came here to say basically the same thing. Looks like this is just another "/v/ dislikes good games" thread. Move along everybody.
>>
>>388033265
Your line about the Witcher 3 was refuted and then left undefended.

All you're doing is being lazy and keeping the argument looped to what's already been said instead of adding anything to your list of base-level usable items and mechanics present in The Witcher 3, most of which are present in BotW in one form or another.
>>
>>388033876
But he doesn't kill ypu in one to two hits what are you talking about? !aybe if you fight him naked.
>>
File: 33.jpg (1MB, 2121x1414px) Image search: [Google]
33.jpg
1MB, 2121x1414px
>>388032206
>>
>>388031641
is that guy autistic?
>>
>>388034112
If you wear a full set of non upgraded gear, Calamity Ganon still does tons of damage to you per hit. If you upgrade the armor numerous times then yeah he's not going to hurt you too much.
>>
>>388033475
>the justification is "it's funny"
So go write a book of jokes. I'm playing a video game, I want interactive entertainment, not cinematic slapstick.

>>388033503
>You can't beat him early. When I say you, I mean You, the person I'm talking to. Other people can
Funny, because the bottom of the barrel reviewer trash from various websites had no trouble at all playing the game both as intended and broken sequenced. Again that's the price you pay for fame.

>Even if you don't find the joke funny (I don't really think it was that funny, it's just there), your autistic hatred of it shows how immature you truly are.
I have a severe distaste for games that try and use gimmicks to hide bad gameplay.
>>
>>388031691
>moving goal posts that far

Autism
>>
>>388034227
Don't bother, he's the most autistic poster to ever visit /v/, even worse than Barneyfag or that guy that posts the "Blunder of the century" image every day. He is the single most autistic human to ever grace this board with his presence.
>>
>>388033551
>It's functionally required for beating the game. If you didn't do all the divine beasts then you didn't really complete it.
Then the game should prevent me from facing Ganon until I've "functionally done it".

>>388033618
A town that's completely unnecessary. Same with the desert. Is Ganon in the desert?
>>
>>388033736
>It doesn't need a justification
Then it doesn't belong in the game. It's worthless filler designed to pad out the world.

>>388033857
>It literally prevents you from getting overheated.
Oh wow, something you can sidestep super easily. Definitely right up there with the light arrows that don't have an arc and are essentially infinite, right?
>>
>>388034520
>Then it doesn't belong in the game. It's worthless filler designed to pad out the world.
Its litteraly used to get into a village that you need to enter if you want to beat the story.
>>
>>388034282
>I have a severe distaste for games that try and use gimmicks to hide bad gameplay.
What gimmick and what bad gameplay? We're talking about a joke that is part of a quest that leads to a town with tons of gameplay in it.

>>388034406
You seriously need to just stop, you are convincing absolutely nobody of your delusional view of games. You are the only autist, not only on this board but in the entire world, that thinks things as dumb as you.
>>
>>388032941
>This whole "oh you can kill him with basic weapons" garbage just reeks of laziness

you cleraly dont understand the gamedesign behind it
>>
>>388033876
>More hearts won't help hardly at all if you have shit armor.
You can still tank at least an extra hit or two.

>Stronger weapons, especially against Ganon, hardly mean shit, because he takes a shitload of damage to kill unless you use either the Master Sword or ancient arrows.
Shitload of damage to kill? Pfft, what are you smoking? The guy goes down in a minute even if you didn't bother getting the highest tiers of weapons.

>The bosses can all be beaten and even when Ganon is stripped of half of his health he's still a challenge if you have no armor
So we didn't even play the same game?

>Literally all of his attacks will kill you in 1 or 2 hits, even from 30 hearts
Ah yes, the slow moving, super choreographed attacks that you would have to be very slow to even come within range of.

>so you're just falsely padding your list of things to avoid at this point, because you know you're wrong.
I'm afraid your entire post was wrong the second you implied that the game had even an inkling of challenge.

>>388033936
You beat the story by beating ganon. Nothing else matters.
>>
>>388034406
So hitting the switch between putting a rainbow bridge to Ganon and just letting you access him in the first place completely changes the meaning of the gerudo outfit for you and makes it acceptable and immediately makes you drop your functionally SJW position.

I don't think so. You would still complain. You would just find another autistic justification to do it. All these little technicalities are just post-rationalization for you, or you're just fucking autistic, because they realistically wouldn't matter to a reasonable person.
>>
File: 1502379076540.jpg (22KB, 520x638px) Image search: [Google]
1502379076540.jpg
22KB, 520x638px
>>388031145
BotW isn't perfect. It suffers from some of the flaws which plague all open world games - enemy repetition and difficulty balancing for example.

But these kind of things are minor, inevitable nitpicks which neve come close to overshadowing how fantastic the game is.

It's a genuine benchmark game which will be discussed and analysed for years to come.

I have no investment in any bullshit console wars. I own every console I want. And I know a milestone game when I see it.
>>
>>388034520
>Oh wow, something you can sidestep super easily
You can prevent it by wasting food sure but if yoy either have no food or want to conserve it you need that suit. It also lets you get the male variant so bitches like you can stop crying about it.
>>
>>388034021
The town means nothing if, again, I can skip it and just go right ahead and fight ganon. Needing a story justification to go there is purely cancerous and is an attempt at trying to make the game more "artistic" and "cinematic". The story can go jump off a cliff for all the importance it claims to have.

>By this logic everything has no purpose unless it is the killing blow on the boss.
Which is why games that cut out the fat and just let me get right to the meat of the game are infinitely better. I don't need some retarded backstory about the main character's fee-fees and how he cried because of some tragedy. Just give me a sword and let me at him. If you want more story in your game, go read a book.
>>
Nothing. It sold millions.
>>
>>388034042

Because everything you said >>388032005
can be applied to BotW, especially the part about gimmicks and enemy types, and if you can't see that then there's no point in continuing since you're already not going to change your mind and you clearly have a heavy bias already. You've never played Horizon and you've never played W3 and you're trying to argue based on your knowledge from a wiki page.
>>
>>388020642
>Rain stops you from progressing for absolutely no reason whatsoever. Not even an item that lets you climb in rain.
>Combat is too shallow and late-game enemies become damage sponges with nothing interesting about the fights.
>Exploration is not rewarding as you know exactly what you're going to find. There's no mystery anymore.
>Shield surfing- one of the most fun things to do in the game- has a limit because fuck you.
>Weapons are made of biscuits and string. Wow what a cool weapon you just found. Too bad you can't use it for more than one enemy.
>>
>>388034713
>You beat the story by beating ganon.
No all you beat is game, when you beat Ganon in the first 20 minutes because there was no story you just went and beat the final boss
>>
>>388034815
>I'm expressing a dumb fanboy opinion but I'm totally not a fanboy
>>
>>388020642
>lack of dungeons
>shrines and divine beasts are a poor replacement for dungeons
>shallow world, the only remotely interesting places filled with life and variety are towns
>shitty story
>half-baked OST - while there are a few good tracks, there are countless shitty ones, that are just random piano notes played while you roam around the maps
>no memorable boss fights
>enemy variety, all we got were recolors of the same stuff, the same applies for bosses
>durability system was a mistake from the beginning
>master sword
>>
>>388034713
>The guy goes down in a minute even if you didn't bother getting the highest tiers of weapons.
I feel like you haventnplayed the game
>>
>>388034870
The meat of the game is not just killing Ganon. There is plenty of meat aside from that that you're leaving to rot because it's not a required part of eating the specific meat that you autistically care about because it gives you the game over sequence, which is almost inevitably some kind of cinematic in almost every game (even though you hate cinematics)

You are a joke. Get reborn with a higher IQ or get your autism treated.
>>
>>388034627
>Its litteraly used to get into a village that you need to enter if you want to beat the story.
I can beat the story the second I start playing. So that's incorrect.

>>388034635
>What gimmick and what bad gameplay?
Some stupid joke crossdressing scene which requires me to skip past multiple stupid cutscenes so I can hope that I find some kind of gameplay down the line. It's not worth it, let me tell you. If it exists for "story reasons" then I instantly discard it. Story is cancer.

>>388034758
I just want it to have more justification in the game. I want a final boss that cannot be beaten at the start of the game. He has to be unkillable until you've beaten like 90% of the game. Being able to kill him anytime with no challenge trivializes the whole damn game.
>>
>>388034996
>>Rain stops you from progressing for absolutely no reason whatsoever. Not even an item that lets you climb in rain.
Use bird gale, agree with everything else tho
>>
>>388035256
That was my last dungeon. It frustrated me to no fucking end how stupid the game is because of rain.
>>
>>388035202
>I can beat the story the second I start playing. So that's incorrect
You can beat the game but you didn't complete the Story.
>>
>>388034815
MGS V was miles better than BotW as an open world game, they just didn't polish the story as much as we would like

it's still ahead of this tech demo
>>
>>388034849
>You can prevent it by wasting food sure
Ah yes, something you'll never run out of. How challenging.

>>388035026
And why should I care about the story? The game gives me no justification to want to "truly beat it" whatever that means.

>>388035124
I could speedrun it if I wanted to considering how easy they made it to get super OP weapons.
>>
>>388035387
Stop responding to him, you will never get through to him. Before he responds to you I'm going to predict his response.

He will say that the story ends when Ganon dies, and that all other story elements that weren't required to get there were unnecessary and padded the game and are bad and garbage.
>>
>>388035045
>a dumb fanboy opinion
Yeah that's right, keep living in denial. You'll notice that nobody gives a fuck.
>>
File: maxresdefault (1).jpg (142KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault (1).jpg
142KB, 1280x720px
>>388035336
Honestly you should've did pic related last, he's pretty useless imo. Unless you're fighting a miniboss that is.
>>388035610
Yea good point, nigga dumb.
>>
>>388035559
You should speedrun every game because you only seem to care about "beating" it.

You don't even realize that this is an autistic fixation and that fun content can exist that isn't required for an end game sequence.

Do you also play pokemon with just your starter and rush right to the champion then call it done? Actually, you don't even play RPGs, do you?
>>
>>388035185
>The meat of the game is not just killing Ganon.
Then the game has failed. The only meat that should be important is my journey to beating Ganon, and if that can be trivialized, then what's the point of going off the beaten path? To make the end even easier? To quest for items and skills that will just trivialize the ending?

>>388035387
>You can beat the game but you didn't complete the Story.
again I ask, does the game give me a reason to care? I can't even spot a difference in the endings, since the game didn't bother asking me to care about the one-note shallow characters.
>>
>>388035534
Wrong.

There's no open world game anywhere right now near the level of design sophistication which BotW has.
>>
File: Zelda Diner.webm (3MB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
Zelda Diner.webm
3MB, 640x360px
>>388030872
MGSV is a fucking warzone in the middle of a desert
the little life that was there was killed by bombings

Zelda is nothing like it
>>
>>388035734
>Actually, you don't even play RPGs, do you?
You are correct. I don't like cinematic movie games.
>>
>>388035759
>design sophistication
>tons of completely redundant weapons
>palette swapped enemies
>eat2win
>>
>>388035712
I didn't look up anything about the game when I was playing. I just ran around and did shit as I found it. Honestly I think I used the fast travel system maybe 3-4 times in the whole game?
Which was a mistake because the game is pretty bare and dry when you know what you're going to find.
>>
This guy is honestly the most autistic guy on /v/, I don't even own BOTW or a Switch and I can tell you that what you're saying is bullshit. His line of logic is so asinine.
>Since Bombs can hurt enemies you don't need weapons.
>>
>>388035818
Why do you always post your autistic opinions in every Zelda thread on /v/? We all know you don't like or play games that are even remotely in the same genre, so what's the point of coming here? You aren't adding anything new to the discussion, you're barely even shitposting. You're mostly just shitting on yourself as with each post you make it becomes more and more apparent how retarded you are. Why don't you just go spend time in a Terraria thread, or better yet, actually playing Terraria? We all know it's the only game you actually like.
>>
>>388035976
Congratulations, you understand NOTHING about Game Design. Why are you youngsters so fucking stupid? I weep for the future.
>>
>>388035992
Maybe with enough complaints they'll add something to help with climbing. I think the climbing gear should allow you to climb in the rain.
>>388035805
I love cooking in this game so damn much.
>>
Have past 3d zelda games had this much shitposting? I know TP had people spamming 8.8 but I don't remember it being THIS bad
>>
File: 1445645682226.gif (1MB, 640x477px) Image search: [Google]
1445645682226.gif
1MB, 640x477px
>People are actually arguing with ACFag
I don't even understand anymore
>>
>>388035998
The game gives you too many ways to dispatch them before they can even put up a fight. It just comes across as unfair. But forgive me for wanting some challenge in a video game.

>>388036031
>We all know you don't like or play games that are even remotely in the same genre, so what's the point of coming here?
To post criticisms and my viewpoint of the game? If you want a hugbox free of those "evil problematic opinions" that you don't agree with, there's a general on /vg/ that I'm sure would welcome you. if you want to post here, you're gonna have to deal with the eventuality that not everyone is just gonna mindlessly jerk off your opinion. You're no better than a neogaf moderator that bans people on sight for criticizing sony.
>>
>>388036190
SS and BotW inevitably get shitposting because of how dramatically they departed from the zelda formula
>>
>>388036232
>The game gives you too many ways to dispatch them before they can even put up a fight. It just comes across as unfair.
Fucking what?! How is that unfair? Sneaking mechanics exist so you don't have to deal with overpowered enemies or waist items. Thousands of games do this.
>>
>>388021776
>I know I'm in a large majority but I liked this game a lot.

ftfy
>>
>>388036109
>you understand NOTHING about Game Design
>infinite heals from a pause menu and redundant combat options are sophisticated game design
Tell me more desu
>>
>>388036497
>Fucking what?! How is that unfair? Sneaking mechanics exist so you don't have to deal with overpowered enemies or waist items.
it's implied that you'll need them for later enemies, but those enemies never come because you can easily kill them too. The fact that, unless you're fighting a Lynel, you can sneeze and kill every single enemy around you, is bad game design. But that apparently isn't enough. Gotta give the player infinite time to heal too, while pausing the action, with no consequence. And let's not forget things like the flurry rush, which are quick time events that further trivialize combat.
>>
>>388036232
>To post criticisms and my viewpoint of the game?
You've already done this and literally every single person on /v/ has heard them. Nobody cares though, even people that have no interest in the game. This isn't about protecting feelings, it's about everyone being sick of the exact same copy/paste arguments you make, that everyone already knows are retarded. You have never made a post about your opinion that did not end in every person in the thread realizing you are autistic.

It is far more obvious that you are obsessed with this game, and are grating your teeth at the notion that people enjoy it, despite it being the antithesis to what you think games should be. Instead of doing what a healthy person would do and just ignore these threads, you instead come back, time and time again, in the hopes that this time someone will actually agree with your shitty opinion. But it will never happen. You are completely and utterly alone in your view of not just this game, but games as a whole. Even other people who dislike or are neutral to BotW think you are an idiot.

When I ask you why are you still here, I am not asking you to leave for my sake. I am suggesting that you leave for your own sake, as it is clear to me that your autistic obsession with criticizing RPGs has brought you nothing but unhappiness.
>>
File: flurry.webm (2MB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
flurry.webm
2MB, 1280x720px
Shit combat
Copy pasta enemies
Super bad performance on consoles
>>
>>388036742
If it's not part of a cinematic it's not a quick time event

>WOOOOW IF I INPUT THIS COMMAND AT THE RIGHT TIME I CAN COUNTER THE ENEMY FUCK THIS QUICK TIME EVENT BULLSHIT

The problem with flurry rushes is that they're too easy and give too much of an advantage. But they're not quick time events
>>
>>388036742
>it's implied that you'll need them for later enemies, but those enemies never come because you can easily kill them too. The fact that, unless you're fighting a Lynel, you can sneeze and kill every single enemy around you, is bad game design.
You are a fucking idiot, at leat play the game before shitposting even blue Bobkins know to avoid the bomb, the black ones kick them right back at you. End game enemies don't even die from two explosions arrows.
>>
>>388031281
Dude I like Platinum as much as anyone but even I know Vanquish was not that good. The sliding was cool, everything else about the game from story, to characters, to gunplay, to visuals was all mediocre at best. They're two completely different games anyway, it's like comparing Thief to Mario Party, it makes no sense.
>>
>>388023638
It gets super boring after the first 10 hours, the game is just filled with recycled content.
>>
>>388020642
Too much focus on quantity over quality.

>see how big the Great Plateau is? well the full map is HUGE! BIGGER THAN SKYRIM!
>120 shrines!
>look at all these food recipes you can make!
>look at all these different weapons you can use!

And when you actually play the game you realize that the novelty wears off very quickly because the game never shakes things up. What you're doing in the Plateau is basically what you're doing in the rest of the game, barring 4 incredibly short pseudo-dungeons. The content repeats itself over and over. Previous Zeldas were not free from filler (far from it) but the item progression kept things interesting. BotW doesn't really have item progression, at least on the same level. Previous Zeldas (except Skyward Sword) also had a lot more enemy variety. Even though BotW's enemies individually had more work put into them, you discover all of them (except maybe molduga) within the first dozen hours, and then you're stuck with them for 70+ hours. The game really needed a few higher-tier enemies to keep the second half of the game fresh. Iron Knuckles, Darknuts, etc. Furthermore, the game actually NEEDED a second half. I would have gladly sacrificed the crappy shrines for a second act of dungeons. There's a reason the LttP formula (also known as the "Zelda formula", or the "OoT formula" by retards) was copied so much, because it worked.
>>
>>388036983
Yes they do, just go into the menu and slide the difficulty all the way down. Then you can kill everything with 1 shot as long as you don't use any beds
>>
>>388036819
>This isn't about protecting feelings, it's about everyone being sick of the exact same copy/paste arguments you make, that everyone already knows are retarded
And yet it's perfectly fine to spam Zelda threads and metacritic scores and gloat about the gam ebeing the "best thing ever made". And let's not forget the obligatory "salty sonybro" reaction images. But someone criticizing the game, that's a step too far.

>You have never made a post about your opinion that did not end in every person in the thread realizing you are autistic.
That tends to happen when you make negative remarks about a game that's worshipped like a god. The zealots don't take kindly to it.

>It is far more obvious that you are obsessed with this game, and are grating your teeth at the notion that people enjoy it,
How so? This is like the first zelda thread I've posted in in weeks maybe. I just enjoy discussion. I've worn out my damn keyboard from it.

>You are completely and utterly alone in your view of not just this game, but games as a whole.
Of course, because as this industry has shown, might makes right and popular opinion can never be wrong, right?

>I am suggesting that you leave for your own sake, as it is clear to me that your autistic obsession with criticizing RPGs has brought you nothing but unhappiness.
If I may offer a counter, my high standards have led me to find many diamonds in the rough and have only amplified my appreciation of games that don't cut corners. Furthermore, it allows me to criticize even the games I like, so I don't fall into the trap of being a mindless corporate zombie who chokes on whatever their master tells them to.
>>
Botw was not zelda, plan and simple. It did not play like a zelda game, nor did it give any alternative of an experience equal to a zelda game. It was a cheap rentention of a game, and we should have saw the warning signs after Skyward Sword and Link between worlds was made. I don't think Nintendo is capable of making a good zelda game again.
>>
>>388036949
>>388036983
>I have yet another method of completely trivializing combat at no risk to myself
Yeah, this is a bad mechanic anon.

>The problem with flurry rushes is that they're too easy and give too much of an advantage. But they're not quick time events
The world literally slows down so you can execute them. That's all the justification I need. Look at this>>388036938 if you don't believe me. Slowdown as a mechanic is cancerous.

You can mince words if you want. It's "technically" not a quick time event if you really are angry about the wording, but what's the difference? neither rewards you for skillful combat, and it's just an I-win button against 95% of the game.

>w-well you can just avoid them
That's no longer enough. The option should not exist period. It's time we stop pandering to the children who need their hands held.
>>
>>388037248
>But someone criticizing the game, that's a step too far.
When the criticism is completely false than yes
>>
>>388037491
So stealth option's are bad now because Nintendo did it?
>>
>>388037491
>The world literally slows down so you can execute them.
No, the world slows down WHEN you execute them.

I didn't say they were good. I'm just telling you to use the correct terminology. They're not quick time events.
>>
>>388037491
>The option should not exist period.
Oh fuck off with this shit, saying games should only be linear and not let the player have any options is stupid
>>
>>388029284
>what i actually got
its amazing how nintendo toddlers pretend this somehow is a comeback when it just points out how bland and awful the game really is. what you got there are not dungeons, but a fortress you cannot enter, in other words a reskinned rock and another fucking shrine in a cave.
>>
>>388020642
combat was aids, boss fights were lame.
>>
>>388020642
yokai-la-le 2.0, baby tier dificulty with big maps with nothing to do.
>>
>>388037248
>And yet it's perfectly fine to spam Zelda threads and metacritic scores and gloat about the gam ebeing the "best thing ever made"
Those threads are equally pointless. One thing being wrong doesn't make the other okay, and me saying you are autistic is not me condoning shitposting of another sort.

>That tends to happen when you make negative remarks about a game that's worshipped like a god. The zealots don't take kindly to it.
It also tends to happen when your argument is irrational and takes your personal preferences and blows them to the extreme, then claims that this is an objective fact. Which is what you do. You run around saying that any game with story is objectively flawed because of it, and that the only way for a game to be perfect would be to have literally NO dialogue at all. That's an exact quote, I don't even need to exaggerate on that one.

>How so? This is like the first zelda thread I've posted in in weeks maybe. I just enjoy discussion. I've worn out my damn keyboard from it.
Emphasis on maybe, your posts find their way into every BotW thread on this board. The only ones that don't have it are the ones filled by your rival for most autistic poster of the year award, the Horizonfag. You stay away from those threads it seems. Guess there's only room for so much autism in one thread.

>Of course, because as this industry has shown, might makes right and popular opinion can never be wrong, right?
There is a difference between having an unpopular opinion and being literally the only person with that opinion. You are the latter, not the former.

>If I may offer a counter, [fedora intesifies beyond this point]
You were one use of the word "euphoric" away from transcending the mortal plane and taking on your true form as autism incarnate. Your hyper inflated ego has blinded you to the flaws in your opinions. You believe your views on games to be objective fact, despite most of them being entirely irrational.
>>
>arguing with a guy who literally wants the entire RPG genre to disappear
why bother? he's going to have retarded arguments and he's going to be an autist, and he's going to be back in another zelda thread a few weeks later repeating the exact same arguments that were countered because he cannot reflect on his opinion
>>
>>388025387
hello /asp/
>>
>>388036987
>actually arguing Vanquish isn't better than BotW
Why hello there Nintenbro.

>everything else about the game from story, to characters
Story is absolutely irrelevant in vidya retard. Most game stories, including Vanquish's and the entire Zelda series, are straight fucking abysmal.

>to gunplay
The gunplay was fantastic. Even the worst gun is useful and most are very useful. You also neglected to mention enemies and melee.

>giving a fuck about graphics
>when Vanquish keeps up its framerate better
Stahp.

>Vanquish doesn't count
How about DMC3, God Hand, RE4, Ninja Gaiden Black and 2, Wonderful 101, Kingdom Hearts 2: Final Mix, and God of War 2. Or are you just going to move the goalpost again and claim those don't count.
>>
>>388037556
And how is the criticism false?

>>388037702
It's kinda bad when anyone does it. I hate Metal Gear as a whole because of it.

>>388037783
Still the same cancer. Mincing technicalities and definitions won't change it.
>>
>>388038194
No, it's a different form of cancer. QTEs are retarded because they're not even really gameplay, and they require you to be at attention when you're in passive watching mode. They're a stupid bait and switch and an attempt to turn an essentially non-interactive sequence into gameplay. It's just a choose your own adventure between two cinematics.

Flurry rush is just retarded because it's too easy and offers too much of a reward. There is nothing fundamentally wrong with pressing the right button at the right time to gain an advantage during actual gameplay, which is what you imply when you call them QTEs.
>>
>>388038005
>Those threads are equally pointless
Yet you avoid calling them autistic. Funny.

>me saying you are autistic is not me condoning shitposting of another sort.
You didn't consider it shitposting, though. You used them as ammunition in your little crusade. "dude everyone likes the game, you're in a minority, you're seething, I bet you're a salty sonyfag!" But now it's shitposting the exact moment I call you out on it. Very convenient.

>It also tends to happen when your argument is irrational and takes your personal preferences and blows them to the extreme, then claims that this is an objective fact.
My viewpoints can be grounded in fact, and I've provided examples to them.

>You run around saying that any game with story is objectively flawed because of it, and that the only way for a game to be perfect would be to have literally NO dialogue at all.
Games like Dwarf Fortress prove that a lack of story will never harm a game, and if we're going by the rhetoric that sales make a game better (something you said 20 posts ago) then minecraft also benefited from it. No story, but 150 million units sold. Second highest sold game in history. It alone outsold every single zelda game put together, including remakes and re-releases. It was only outsold by Tetris, which also had no story. So what can we take from this?

>You stay away from those threads it seems.
I don't like Horizon in the slightest and don't like sony in general, so why would I even think of going near those threads? I used to like both Nintendo and Zelda, so I still feel a desire to voice my 2 cents here.

>There is a difference between having an unpopular opinion and being literally the only person with that opinion.
So I'm the only one here who doesn't like Uncharted or TLOU, who thinks that games should have a stable framerate, that a 60 dollar game shouldn't have 20+ dollars of DLC? Interesting.

>no further arguments, just le funny hat joke
Hmm.
>>
>>388038194
>stealth is bad
>rpgs are bad
>cinematics are bad
>dialog is bad
>any content that is not required for the final boss is bad and is poor game design
You are a living meme
>>
>>388038194
>And how is the criticism false?
The infinite food part for one, and tthen complaining about the fact they put in options that you don't need to use.
>>
>>388038464
>Flurry rush is just retarded because it's too easy and offers too much of a reward.
The same can be said of a quick time event. Different execution maybe, but similar result.

>>388038724
>want good gameplay
>get crucified

Really makes you think.
>>
>>388037858
>you got there are not dungeons, but a fortress you cannot enter
You can't enter the dungeon on the left image either because its a fucking PAINTING.

That artwork is from the early Zelda game, to sell you visual imagery that the game couldn't achieve - a promise of high adventure and exploration. Imagery which was finally realised in BotW.
>>
>>388038760
>The infinite food part for one
Oh, so the game will run out of food eventually? This is a new development.
>>
>>388038676
>Yet you avoid calling them autistic. Funny.
But he said that they were in the wrong.
>>388038781
Can you tell me what your favorite game is?
>inb4 its the Dwarf Fortress nigga.
>>
>>388021730
Why bother doing this when the normal solution is so easy a caveman could do it?
>>
>>388038882
You know exactly what I mean don't play coy. YOU can run out of food.
>>
>>388038901
>But he said that they were in the wrong.
It took me calling them out and pointing out his hypocrisy for him to admit that they were shitposting. What does that have to say?

>Can you tell me what your favorite game is?
>>388027404
>>
>>388038676
>Games like Dwarf Fortress prove that a lack of story will never harm a game,
No, they prove you can have a game without a story. They prove there are different ways to make good games, and a story can be a part, but doesn't have to be.

The following are all literally you:
>Sports like swimming prove that a lack of a ball will never harm a sport, therefore we should not have ball sports
>TV shows like Seinfeld prove that a lack of an overall narrative will never harm a series, therefore no TV show should have an overall narrative
>Wonder Woman proves that a lack of a male protagonist will never harm a superhero comic, therefore we should not have male superheroes
>Dishes like fruit salad prove that lack of meat will never harm food, so we shouldn't eat meat

You are clinically retarded. Get diagnosed. If stories were just thrown out of gaming entirely, the first company to put them back in would make tens of millions because of the demand.
>>
>>388039115
So since you can sneak in Terraria, "never run out of health because of staues and food, Terraria should be bad considering you hate BORW for almost all the shit you can do in terraria.
>>
>>388038781
>The same can be said of a quick time event.
No it can't be. A quick time event might be present for only 1 frame or it might be for 500. It's still bad because quicktime events are fundamentally bad.

"Press X button at correct timing to gain advantage during gameplay" however is a fundamental gaming building block and you could boil down hundreds of mechanics to this.

If flurry rush was 10x harder to execute, or 3x harder and gave less of a benefit, or any other balancing measure, then it would be fine. The same can't be said for QTEs.
>>
>>388038676
>Yet you avoid calling them autistic. Funny.
Semantics, but whatever. Those threads are autistic.

>dude everyone likes the game, you're in a minority, you're seething, I bet you're a salty sonyfag!
I have said none of those things. There's more than one person in this thread that is responding to your posts. The ones you've listed are shitposters, but just because someone shitpost at you doesn't make you right. And you're right, you aren't "shitposting" per se. You are posting, and they are shit, but you aren't doing it specifically to anger people, it's just a natural consequence of someone hearing such a dumb opinion.

>My viewpoints can be grounded in fact, and I've provided examples to them.
No, your viewpoints are subjective concepts about what place story has in games, but you run around claiming it as objective truth.

>It was only outsold by Tetris, which also had no story. So what can we take from this?
That story isn't needed to make a game good, but that's not your argument. Your argument is that story makes a game worse. This is where you leave the realm of rational arguments and enter into autistic tantrum territory. You ignore games with story that do well, then use games without story that do well as an example of why story is bad? Your bias is too obvious. You hate story, which is utterly subjective and nobody would care if that were the end of it, but instead you keep going and insist that story is OBJECTIVELY bad, making you an autist.

>So I'm the only one here who...
No, you're the only one here that thinks that games having story of any kind makes them bad. Can't help but notice you omitted that one from your list, almost like you know it was what I was referring to...

>no further arguments
There was a further argument though. I accused you of having a hyperinflated ego and being blind to your own biases.
>>
>>388038781
"Wanting good gameplay" is not the same as believing stealth is bad and should not exist, rpgs are bad and should not exist, cinematics are bad and should not exist, dialog is bad and should not exist, side content is bad and should not exist, and story is bad and should not exist.

Go tell someone else who says they like gameplay that what they mean is all of those things. Watch how they completely reject your view and say that's not what they meant at all because you're an autist and they're not.
>>
>>388039202
This is the best analogy for ACfag I've ever seen, this post should be incoorporated into the infographs relating to this guy's posts in the future.
>>
>>388020642
Too long to list. Would be faster to list what didn't go wrong: basically nothing.
>>
File: splatoon.jpg (128KB, 1199x1199px) Image search: [Google]
splatoon.jpg
128KB, 1199x1199px
>>388038831
>a reskinned rock is a promise of high adventure
>>
>>388039202
How is any of that wrong? Less story means less money thrown at the graphics team, the mocap team, the fellas behind the cutscenes, the writers, and all that unnecessary junk. Good games would be given priority again.

>>388039387
>So since you can sneak in Terraria
Actually you can't. Enemies know where you are the second you're on screen.

>"never run out of health because of staues and food,
You have to incur a constant cooldown when you take health foods. That one tiny detail helps to balance the whole game. Also, you can't pause the game while healing. You gotta do it on the go.

Funny how a small indie game does all this right, and it did it right 6 years before Nintendo.
>>
>>388040142
No, the entire game is. You'll find that the game captures the exhilaration of exploration rather well, it's literally unanimously raved about by everyone. Cry some more.
>>
File: my review.png (108KB, 741x1145px) Image search: [Google]
my review.png
108KB, 741x1145px
This is what went wrong.
>>
>>388039695
>Go tell someone else who says they like gameplay that what they mean is all of those things.
He's at best only half wrong, and that's if you take his words literally.

Stealth dedicated games are fine, but now it's seen as a somewhat standard feature of open world, where it's shallow, slow and OP.

RPG's are the most cancer infected genre outside non-games and open world with the absolute dumbest fans.

Cinematics, story and dialogue are window dressing that takes resources and focus away from what's important, gameplay, and are straight shit compared to any other medium.

Side content is usually bullshit to make the game feel full, instead of making the main campaign interesting and appropriately difficult, ie the only remotely challenging bosses being limited to side content, because God forbid Billy has to do something other than mash buttons to beat the game.
>>
File: pQo7e8E.jpg (43KB, 514x536px) Image search: [Google]
pQo7e8E.jpg
43KB, 514x536px
>>388040169
>How is any of that wrong?
>>
>>388038072
Buddy that was my first post in this thread, I don't know what you're talking about with moving the goalposts. I listened to /v/ hype up Vanquish as the greatest TPS ever, and left sorely disappointed.

You're mostly right about story being irrelevant - I enjoyed God Hand, after all - but Vanquish managed to take a simple concept like "retake this space station" and somehow botch the delivery, especially near the end. Burns turns evil right near the last act of the game, and once you take him down he's suddenly on your side again and kills all his own dudes with his self-destruct to let you get away. Add to that the story concludes with a clear sequel setup with Zaitsev getting away, and the fucking retarded scene with Sam getting blown out of the station while Elena cries about it and then he's suddenly on-board the ship without ANYONE noticing, like he just lets himself in the airlock or some shit.

The gunplay was NOT fantastic, especially since the upgrade system existed, as it encouraged you to hold onto weapons but punished you for actually using them, since you only get upgrade points when you're full on ammo. This means you'll probably be relegating your weapon usage to 2 or 3 guns that you want to "main" and get more upgrades for, which discourages swapping for other weapons since they'll be strictly weaker once you have a couple upgrades under your belt.

Melee is another can of worms entirely, since it operates off the same meter as your slide and your Bullet Time mechanic. There's no reason to EVER use the melee button since it removes two of your most critical tools for a relatively long time, and it's even worse that you're given no option to disable your instant-kill melee for something weaker that doesn't drain your energy. You're left with a "press x to fuck enemy" button that makes you useless for a good 5 seconds, meaning you might as well not slide toward enemies in the first place and just play like any other TPS.

(cont)
>>
>>388038072
>>388040769

(cont)
I did not say graphics, I said visuals. Vanquish looks like ass just about any way you slice it. People meme about "brown and grey shooter" shit all the time, but go Google 'vanquish' and EVERY screenshot is composed of 90% grey. It's ugly no matter which area of the game you're in.

A lot of the games you list at the end of your post are quite excellent, both God Hand and Wonderful 101 are in my top 10 favorite games. But Vanquish has too many issues to hand-wave or ignore, and it's one of the few Platinum games I don't plan on replaying. Gears of War does cover mechanics better, Splatoon does movement options better, BotW has a better Bullet-Time mechanic, dozens of games have weapons that are more diverse and more fun to use, with better upgrade systems to boot. Just because Vanquish puts all these things into a single package doesn't automatically make it good, just as you'd probably say BotW isn't good simply by having a physics engine or fire mechanics or throwable weapons or climbable walls all in the same game.
>>
>>388039401
>If flurry rush was 10x harder to execute, or 3x harder and gave less of a benefit, or any other balancing measure, then it would be fine.
Alternatively, I would just make it an ability you have to manually start, which means it has the chance for failure, you don't get invincibility frames, the game doesn't slow down, and the reward for a successful attack would feel earned.

>>388039668
>The ones you've listed are shitposters,
Yet you never called them out. You had no problem with people accusing everyone of being a "salty sonyfag". Infact, let's look back in the thread, shall we at this post >>388021329

Hmmm, not a single Zelda calling them out for being a shitposter. Really interesting.

>it's just a natural consequence of someone hearing such a dumb opinion.
What about it is dumb? Is a man not entitled to the sweat of his own opinions?

>No, your viewpoints are subjective concepts about what place story has in games, but you run around claiming it as objective truth.
It is fact that a game can survive with minimal story, and I've given proof of this. Maybe it's harder to prove that Zelda can survive without it, but I've given justification as to how it could be done.

>your argument is that story makes a game worse.
The rising cost of development time and money required for most games would argue that, yes, story is becoming too big for its britches.

>No, you're the only one here that thinks that games having story of any kind makes them bad.
Because the majority of /v/ has become infatuated with movie games. We even have people defending Uncharted and TLOU as "the best of the medium". Trust me, I'm not the illogical one in that argument.

>I accused you of having a hyperinflated ego and being blind to your own biases.
What biases exactly?
>>
>>388029567
>Posting wojack
>>
>>388041173
>not posting the second most successful meme of all time
>>
>>388039695
I genuinely think those things can be good again. I used to like RPGs. One of my favorites was Super Mario RPG. It's just that we've allowed ourselves to be clouded by a combination of brand loyalty and nostalgia goggles and we're unable to look past the game and recognize flaws. For example, if you think Final Fantasy in general is this magical flawless timeless masterpiece with no holes or gameplay problems, then I'm afraid you've been drinking too much of the Square Enix Koolaid.
>>
>>388022131

this is where your list turns to shit. Your "gripes" are fucking retarded my friend.
>>
>>388041236
I'm not really one to use overused memes.
>>
>>388041436
you can't overuse him because he has limitless potential.
>>
>>388020642
No interesting side quests
No interesting NPCs
Bare bones plot
No incentive to explore
Weapon durability becomes tedious and meaningless after a while
"You have done well to reach that shrine, now watch this cutscene for no reason that you will skip anyways"
Climb this mountain to find another apple tree puzzle, rock puzzle, korok hiding under a rock, or metal block puzzle.
Damage sponge enemies
3 common enemy types
Shallow combat system
>>
>>388040769
>I listened to /v/ hype up Vanquish as the greatest TPS ever
Because it is.

>games botching a simple story
What a shock. Again, who gives a shit, it's a fucking game. What matters is gameplay, and Vanquish hit it out of the park.

>especially since the upgrade system existed
>not playing on God Hard
It's not the game's fault you're a retarded casual.

>since you only get upgrade points when you're full on ammo
There are upgrade cubes anon.

>This means you'll probably be relegating your weapon usage to 2 or 3 guns that you want to "main"
No it doesn't. Newsflash, most upgrades don't make that big of a deal, especially when the niches of each gun are taken into account.

>since it operates off the same meter as your slide and your Bullet Time mechanic.
You sure about that?

>There's no reason to EVER use the melee button
Just stahp. You've already proved you know nothing about the game, no one will think any less of you for throwing in the towel at this point.

>You're left with a "press x to fuck enemy" button that makes you useless for a good 5 seconds
>what are guns
>what are grenades
>what is cover

>meaning you might as well not slide toward enemies in the first place
>don't get close to enemies
>where Sam is far more capable of crushing them swiftly and efficiently
?

>>388040874
>ambiguous wording
Charming.

>screenshots
Rather pay attention to the actual game, which looks great and provides important information to the user intuitively.

>Gears of War does cover mechanics better, Splatoon does movement options better, BotW has a better Bullet-Time mechanic
Blasphemy.

>Just because Vanquish puts all these things into a single package doesn't automatically make it good
No, being great does.
>>
>>388041079
>Yet you never called them out.
Not my fucking job to fucking police all shitposters on the board. And like I said, you're not a shitposter. They can be ignored, because they just want to get a rise from people. You are actually trying to make an argument, and it's a terrible one. You are not a shitposter, you are worse than a shitposter.

>What about it is dumb?
The idea that having literally any dialogue at all in a game makes it bad. That's a pretty shitty opinion right there. There are plenty of others, but that's one example.

>t is fact that a game can survive with minimal story, and I've given proof of this.
Once again, that's not your argument. Your argument is that BECAUSE a game can be good without story, then story must objectively be bad. Which is factually false. Yet whenever someone calls you out on it, you default back to "but my point is valid because Dwarf Fortress". You're running in circles here.

>The rising cost of development time and money required for most games would argue that, yes, story is becoming too big for its britches.
You know so little about the gaming industry if you honestly think that STORY is what is hiking up the cost. Graphics are where the money is being spent, not story. Writers are the lowest paid members of the staff, and VAs are so cheap that they went on strike, despite them actually being unnecessary (as the Zelda franchice has spent 20 years proving). You hate story and are using made up facts about cost to justify it, even though you have no idea what portion of the budget is being used for story. This is proof of your bias right here.

>Because the majority of /v/ has become infatuated with movie games.
Other people being retarded doesn't make your opposite extreme any less retarded. A game that is 100% story focused is basically a shitty movie, yes. You still have yet to explain how that is proof that story has no place in games at all.

>What biases exactly?
You have a bias against story.
>>
>>388020642
After finally getting around to playing this I can say with certainty that you have to be legitimately autistic to really enjoy it.
>>
>>388028426
>v/ has been BTFO and humiliated so many times that most haters just avoid these threads now.
More like people with legit complaints got tired of fanboys who's only retort is to autistic screeching on their faces so they decided to let wallow in blissful ignorance
>>
>>388029284
>90% of these are glorified fetch quests
>a castle you can't enter and a fucking shrine
Good image desu.
>>
File: foz.gif (484KB, 262x200px) Image search: [Google]
foz.gif
484KB, 262x200px
>/v/ user sees a game is popular and well liked by critics
>takes it as a personal insult and deliberately shifts his opinions on said game to defy popular opinion

I won't say the game is flawless, (hell its not much higher than an 8/10 in my books) but holy fucking shit it's so obvious when people just deliberately want to be contrarian just for the sake of it. I can name a million flaws in many of my favorite games, but i still think they're some of the best games of all time. Making a "perfect" game is nearly impossible. But I don't cherrypick a few issues and blow those out of proportion to give the impression that a game is bad, I look at shit rationally and in an unbiased way.

Jesus fucking christ, this is why retarded mindsets like neo-nazism run rampant from this website. Society tells you to act a certain way and your autism flips out and suddenly you're all about the opposite. Probably because that makes you feel significant or more intelligent, but in actual fact you're drilling ideas into your own head. It's okay to say "this game isn't perfect, and heres why", but if this game is "bad" to you then you're not thinking objectively anymore.
>>
>>388042225
>Not my fucking job to fucking police all shitposters on the board.
I didn't ask you to do that. I asked you to set your priorities straight. I'm trying to have a sensible discussion, so before you attack me for that, perhaps you could first give a sound verbal reprimanding to the guys spamming sony and nintendo wojaks and reddit meme frogs.

>You are actually trying to make an argument, and it's a terrible one. You are not a shitposter, you are worse than a shitposter.
That doesn't make a lick of sense.

>The idea that having literally any dialogue at all in a game makes it bad.
I think a game can have dialogue, but without fail when they start putting in dialogue, it doesn't stop there. Now we need more dialogue. Now we need romance. Now we need a 30 minute interlude with no gameplay. Now we need voice actors. Now we need a fancy explosion-filled action scene with very little input. And so on.It's the tumbling downward that ultimately turns what could have use into garbage.

>Your argument is that BECAUSE a game can be good without story, then story must objectively be bad. Which is factually false.
My argument there is that, if you took out the story, the game would cost less to make. You wouldn't need to pay professional voice actors. Less cutscenes means less you pay to the graphics team. You don't need more than 1 or 2 writers to make a basic Mario-tier story. The game becomes infinitely more profitable, which means you don't have to water it down for the masses just to see a return on your profit. Shoot, games like Dwarf Fort spend so little on such frills and trivialities that the dev can make the game, and update it for years, on a shoestring budget, and release it for free. What does that say about Nintendo who, despite knowing they'll make an easy profit, still wants to gouge the customer with amiibo content and DLC? And then they still cry about piracy while making record profits.
>>
>>388042225
(Continued)

>graphics are where the money is being spent, not story.
A large part of that is in cutscenes and making the game more "artistic" and "cinematic" which means making pretty set pieces that don't even help the overall game. Take away the desire to make an "experience" and replace it with the desire to make a "game" and you'll see the graphics and story budgets go through the floor. Nobody will want set pieces or voice acting or care about celebrities making their cut.

>you still have yet to explain how that is proof that story has no place in games at all.
It's a trend you can easily note. The less story a game has, the better its gameplay turns out.

>You have a bias against story.
I have a bias against elements in a game that don't make the game better.
>>
>>388043018
>I didn't ask you to do that
>perhaps you could first give a sound verbal reprimanding to the guys spamming sony and nintendo wojaks and reddit meme frogs
You literally just told me to do it, that I am not allowed to criticize you until I've dealt with them first.

>That doesn't make a lick of sense.
A shitposter is harmless, because he's just baiting for responses. He will go away once he either gets his responses or is ignored and gets bored. You, on the other hand, actually think you're right about this, so you aren't just something that goes away once ignored. Instead, you flood the threads with your shitty opinion and fallacious arguments time and time again, never changing your argument in lieu of new evidence or perspectives given to you. In fact, you go out of your way to ignore new information that harms your narrative.

>I think a game can have dialogue, but without fail when they start putting in dialogue, it doesn't stop there
Slippery slope fallacy. Zelda games have remained constant on how much story the games have in them since OoT. They added more story in SS and when people didn't like it they went back to an even MORE barebones story. You are talking out of your ass here.

>My argument there is that, if you took out the story, the game would cost less to make.
Again talking out of your ass. Money is not spent on VAs and writers, they make up so little of the budget they practically don't exist at all. Several companies literally don't even have writers, and just leave the story and dialogue to the design team, to work on when they aren't making the levels. Or even more commonly, the fucking director of the game makes the story, because he owns all the fucking employees and they are basically just tools for him to make the game he wants. Unlike you, I'm actually in the industry, I've actually seen the numbers, I know how this shit works. You think you know because you're retarded.
>>
>>388043337
(cont)

>A large part of that is in cutscenes and making the game more "artistic" and "cinematic"
False again, the graphics are where the budget goes in any regard, beyond just cutscenes. Making the game look HD is what makes it expensive, you're just using "Cinematic" as a buzzword that allows you to correlate graphics and story. In your mind, the only acceptable graphics are shitty pixel art from the 80's, and anything more advanced than that is wasting budget. And since you've sighted Dwarf Fortress and Terraria as the best games ever, You've already proven me right here. And again, this makes you a blubbering retard.

>It's a trend you can easily note. The less story a game has, the better its gameplay turns out.
Objectively false, there are games with good story and good gameplay, and there are games with no story and bad gameplay. The two are not correlated so rigidly. Both gameplay and story quality are relative to how much effort and skill were put into them.

>I have a bias against elements in a game that don't make the game better.
And since making a game better is a subjective term, you are biased towards your own personal opinions of what a good game is. Since you personally think story makes games bad, you call story "an element in a game that doesn't make it better" and expose your bias.
>>
>>388044212
>You literally just told me to do it, that I am not allowed to criticize you until I've dealt with them first.
More so that you shouldn't be quick to call me "the worst person in the thread" when I'm at least staying on topic, trying to give everyone respect, and being careful with how I articulate my points.

>You, on the other hand, actually think you're right about this, so you aren't just something that goes away once ignored
So because you disagree with me, I'm worse than someone who will go completely off topic with meme shitposting.

>Slippery slope fallacy
Not a fallacy when it's been documented over and over again with countless franchises. It ruined starfox, it destroyed Metroid for 7 years, and has left the new Zelda gimped by focusing on graphics and voice acting instead of important things, like allowing free DLC for people who already paid 60+ dollars for your game, or a stable framerate.

>Money is not spent on VAs and writers, they make up so little of the budget they practically don't exist at all.
Are you kidding? So many high profile games live off of celebrity voice work. This was a constant with bioware and gearbox for a long time. 150k an hour for people to grunt and scream hardly seems like chump change.

>Or even more commonly, the fucking director of the game makes the story, because he owns all the fucking employees and they are basically just tools for him to make the game he wants.
So he should know better than to include frilly garbage that only detracts from a game.
>>
>>388044295
>Making the game look HD is what makes it expensive, you're just using "Cinematic" as a buzzword that allows you to correlate graphics and story.
Tell me that modern games don't strive for graphics for the purpose of being "artistic" and "down to earth". Every single one strives for that high polygon count because "being too cartoony ruins my artistic vision". They go hand in hand.

>In your mind, the only acceptable graphics are shitty pixel art from the 80's, and anything more advanced than that is wasting budget. And since you've sighted Dwarf Fortress and Terraria as the best games ever
Oh, you mean two games that wasted nothing on the graphics budget and, as a result, can deliver free DLC for decades to come? Whoa, you sure showed me.

>Objectively false, there are games with good story and good gameplay
The only good story in a game is one that knows its place. One that doesn't try to take the spotlight. It's basically background noise.

>And since making a game better is a subjective term
I don't know about that. A stable 60 FPS, free DLC, a distinct lack of DRM due to the inability to care about whether pirates get your game or not since you didn't waste millions into marketing and graphics? Things like that seem kind of objective.
>>
File: 1478976454370.jpg (24KB, 350x350px) Image search: [Google]
1478976454370.jpg
24KB, 350x350px
>>388020642
Nintendo was obviously trying to use the more modern gaming trends to try something "different" than the basic Zelda formula. Unfortunately, I think that just split the fanbase in half instead.
I also believe they were listening to criticisms from people who didn't like the basic Zelda formula more so than listening to actual Zelda fans because they want to keep the series relevant to today's gamers more so than trying to appease their already established fan base. I've seen that shit happen to many franchises I've enjoyed.
>>
>>388035805
Fuck what a pretty game.
>>
>>388044721
>staying on topic, trying to give everyone respect, and being careful with how I articulate my points.
The only topic you're staying on is your own opinion on story, which isn't what the thread was about. Not that I care, after all I'm still responding to you.

>So because you disagree with me, I'm worse than someone who will go completely off topic with meme shitposting.
There are others in the thread that disagreed with me on plenty of things, but since they were either rational enough to call theirs an opinion instead of objective truth they were fine. You on the other hand continue to insist that your view is based solely in fact, which it is not. Also shitposters are irrelevant, and only retards care about them in any capacity. Telling them to stop is meaningless as it feeds into their goal in the first place. You literally cannot win against a shitposter by any means other than ignoring them.

>It ruined starfox, it destroyed Metroid for 7 years, and has left the new Zelda gimped
Starfox was ruined by slapping his franchise on an unrelated game, not by story. Metroid was not ruined, as the Prime series was critically acclaimed and is favored by plenty of Metroid fans over the originals. Once again, YOUR BIAS has led you to call something that was successful and perfectly fine bad, because it deviated from what YOU want. Same goes for BotW, which most fans of the series praise as being exactly the direction they wanted the series to go.
>>
>>388045040
>Are you kidding? So many high profile games live off of celebrity voice work.
Celebrity voice work is trash, and a waste of money. Now tell me the name of a single VA from BotW. That's right, you know none of them, because they were all literally who's paid in dimes and semen. The VA strike is retarded, because they in no way deserve more money for their trivial roles. But the fact that they are striking for more money should be proof to you that they aren't paid a lot of money, genius. Only the celeb voices are paid primo bucks, and for once we can agree that something is a bad idea.

>So he should know better than to include frilly garbage that only detracts from a game.
Once again, your own bias pouring through. Nothing objective about this statement at all.

>Tell me that modern games don't strive for graphics for the purpose of being "artistic" and "down to earth". Every single one strives for that high polygon count because "being too cartoony ruins my artistic vision". They go hand in hand.
And nowhere in that statement does story ever come up. They spend the money on the visuals because PS4 shilled hard on how important graphics are, and filled their fanbase with graphics elitists that ruin the gaming marketplace. Zelda doesn't prioritize graphics at all, a point that just a little higher up you CRITICIZED THEM FOR, once again showing your bias. Also graphics being over emphasized has nothing to do with the argument about story, and is once again you being a retard and deflecting my argument.
>>
>>388045040
>Oh, you mean two games that wasted nothing on the graphics budget and, as a result, can deliver free DLC for decades to come?
Two games that I find boring as fuck, I've played them both and no amount of free content will ever make me want to play them again. But because YOU like them, and their content, they are objectively the greatest games ever and every game for the rest of eternity should just actually be DLC for one of them. We don't need more games, we need more Terraria content. That's your argument at this point.

>The only good story in a game is one that knows its place. One that doesn't try to take the spotlight. It's basically background noise.
Subjective, AGAIN. But AGAIN you claim it as objective, because you see yourself as the arbiter of what makes games good.

end
>>
>>388046390
>>388046318
>>388046239
I'm sorry if we don't agree. There's alot I want to say, so let me take a moment to collect my thoughts.
>>
>>388046239
>The only topic you're staying on is your own opinion on story, which isn't what the thread was about.
The thread was OP asking why the game went wrong. Whether he was shitposting or not, I gave my two cents. I was on topic.

>You on the other hand continue to insist that your view is based solely in fact, which it is not
I use facts though. What about my statements has been wrong?

>Starfox was ruined by slapping his franchise on an unrelated game, not by story.
Adventures could've been a good game, but it focused on the dumb story with Krystal, and that dragged everything down. Metroid Prime was a great series, but was tarnished by Other M which destroyed the series for 7 years. And now I have to hope that Prime 4 won't be corrupted by Sakamoto's boner for cinematics.

>Same goes for BotW, which most fans of the series praise as being exactly the direction they wanted the series to go.
Popularity =/ quality

>>388046318
>Now tell me the name of a single VA from BotW. That's right, you know none of them, because they were all literally who's paid in dimes and semen
Even one penny given to them is more than they deserve. To this day I can only think of one game where voice acting actually complimented the game. That's money that could've been spent towards game optimization. With other companies it's excusable as stupidity, but Nintendo should know better.

>Once again, your own bias pouring through. Nothing objective about this statement at all.
Story does not make a game better. That's fact.

>They spend the money on the visuals because PS4 shilled hard on how important graphics are,
because they want to tell "realistic stories". Sony are the kings of cinematic experiences. Everyone here knows that.

>Zelda doesn't prioritize graphics at all,
The fact that it can't even achieve 60 FPS says otherwise.
>>
>>388045815
You're probably too young to remember but several Zelda games have split the fanbase.

Zelda II, Majora's Mask and Wind Waker - all controversial on release. Each now loved by the fanbase.

BotW is nowhere near as polarising. There's only a small minority of the genuine fanbase who don't like it, mostly because of the lack of themed dungeons.
>>
>>388020642
>mediocre rehash 27
Gee, i wonder
>>
>>388046390
>Two games that I find boring as fuck, I've played them both and no amount of free content will ever make me want to play them again.
Okay, so let me get this straight. You fancy yourself as the supreme arbiter of games that are fun and call me autistic for liking them, even though many say that Terraria and DF are quality titles. yet if I say I don't like Zelda and I list reasons why, suddenly popular opinion takes precedence.

>Subjective, AGAIN.
I can prove it though. It may not be complete fact, but I can back up what I say.
>>
File: doubt.jpg (16KB, 200x303px) Image search: [Google]
doubt.jpg
16KB, 200x303px
>>388048549
>Zelda II
>Loved
>>
>>388020725
>They made it open world.
How is returning Zelda to what it should be what went wrong?
>>
>>388048747
But it is. There's been a real resurgence in positivity about Zelda II over the past 10 years.
>>
>>388020725
not to mention the survival/crafting/generic art style that every shit game has today. we need zeldas with personality like MM and even Twilight Princess, not a game with iphone app icon colors and boring cartoon models
>>
>>388029256
more people like MM than ocarina of time. ocarina of time is for meme-tier "cake is a lie" redditor gamers who don't play videogames.
>>
>>388048964
>more people like MM than ocarina of time.
citation needed.
>>
>Someone with autistic fixation lists Minecraft, Terrarria and Dwarf Fortress as the greatest games of all time
Hmm. I wonder why.
>>
>>388048549
Plenty of people still hate WW. Also plenty of people hate MM but mainly out of spite because they see it as the fedora zelda.
>>
>>388049174
you ask most real gamers and they'll say majoras mask was the better game (because it was)

meanwhile if you ask some "totally cool nerdy trendy gamer girls!" what their favorite zelda game is 10/10 you will get oot.
>>
>>388048212
>I use facts though. What about my statements has been wrong?
All the examples of you being wrong I've already posted. Like game budgets, reasons for graphics being prioritized, the objectivity of your opinion, etc.

>Adventures could've been a good game, but it focused on the dumb story with Krystal, and that dragged everything down. Metroid Prime was a great series, but was tarnished by Other M which destroyed the series for 7 years. And now I have to hope that Prime 4 won't be corrupted by Sakamoto's boner for cinematics.
Adventures was shit from head to toe, a shitty OoT clone with some feminist furry OC as the main character, before they slapped Starfox on it and killed the franchise. Removing the story Would have just left you with a shitty game with no direction to it. Whether or not it would have made them improve the gameplay is pure conjecture.

Metroid other M was shit because they ruined Samus's character, which other games had used the story to establish. The story existing didn't make other M bad, the story being shit made it bad.

>Popularity =/ quality
We aren't talking about quality, we're talking about story affecting how good the game was. Good, being a subjective term, cannot be proven either way, which you continue to fail at understanding. The game sold well beyond expectations and is loved by the fan base, so it is a market success, the only real object metric for "good" that there really is. Whether or not YOU liked it is subjective. Removing the story wouldn't have fixed the framerate or any other gameplay criticisms you have, they are unrelated. You are pretending like all the games flaws could be solved by removing the story, which is just not true in any capacity.

>Even one penny given to them is more than they deserve.
Biased opinion back again.

>Story does not make a game better. That's fact.
No, that's opinion. That is literally opinion, and you calling it fact is what makes you autistic.
>>
>>388048615
>because they want to tell "realistic stories".
No, because they wanted to compete with PC, which was always more powerful than their systems. So they made a powerful system so they could make HD graphics that are comparable to PC graphics. The fact that they wasted all their time and money on the graphics forces them to then make shitty walking simulators based on story, not because they wanted to tell stories, but because they wanted to tote graphics. When story is the number 1 influence in a game you get shitty indie walking simulators like Gone Home. When HD is the priority you get Nathan Drake walking simulator but look over there at that FOUR KAY AICH DEE setpiece games. They are both garbage, but neither is proof that story has no place in games.

>The fact that it can't even achieve 60 FPS says otherwise.
Autism. The game world is huge and neither the Switch nor WiiU could have ever gotten that world up to 60fps unless everything looked like OG Starfox polygons.

>Okay, so let me get this straight. You fancy yourself as the supreme arbiter of games
That's what YOU do. YOU think that your taste in games is so superior to the rest of the world that literally anyone who disagrees with your taste is just wrong. I don't care what games you do or don't like, that has never been my fucking argument. My argument remains that you are not the objective measure of good games, and just because YOU dislike story does not make it objectively bad.

>I can prove it though. It may not be complete fact, but I can back up what I say.
You can't. You always just say "story is bad because I say so". You have yet to provide a single shred of evidence that story objectively makes games bad. Because it doesn't exist.
>>
>BotW defense for only argument is console warrior tripe
>The very same console warrior tripe that judgedMonster Hunter World to be awful and casualized with zero evidence because it wasn't on a nintendo system
Glad to see how easily identified who the worst posters on this board are.
You don't see people trying to defend Aloy or her game.
>>
File: 1499566044803.gif (2MB, 448x246px) Image search: [Google]
1499566044803.gif
2MB, 448x246px
>>388049737
>you ask most real gamers
>and they'll say majoras mask was the better game (because it was)
>>
>>388049792
>Like game budgets, reasons for graphics being prioritized, the objectivity of your opinion, etc.
And I retorted those. For example, if you think Sony was ONLY concerned with graphics, why would they hire professional voice actors and emphasize "diversity" and "political correctness"?

>Adventures was shit from head to toe, a shitty OoT clone with some feminist furry OC as the main character, before they slapped Starfox on it and killed the franchise
Dinosaur planet had the potential to take the adventure genre in a new direction. After all, Rare hadn't completely lost their marbles at that point. It was only when they were forced to shoehorn in Starfox that it went to hell.

>Metroid other M was shit because they ruined Samus's character, which other games had used the story to establish.
Who the heck cares about Samus's character? What's important about her is that she's a cool videogamey character who shoots the bad guys. We shouldn't need "deep character motivation" or that other stuff to like Metroid. If Other M had amazing gameplay, I think it would be much easier to ignore the retarded story, though it would also help to remove the story in the first place.

>The game sold well beyond expectations and is loved by the fan base, so it is a market success, the only real object metric for "good" that there really is.
You don't say? Interesting. Let's try using that rhetoric with people who don't like popular consoles like the PS4, for example, and I'm sure you'll get some interesting responses. "millions of flies eat shit" "drone can't think for himself" etc.

>Biased opinion back again.
It'll be biased when they give me a reason why they should stay.

>No, that's opinion
Story is uninteractive. Gameplay requires interaction. Story takes away from gameplay. I think it's a clear open and shut case as to why story doesn't ever help a game.
>>
>>388050126
greentexted like a true gamur gurl
>>
>>388049878
>No, because they wanted to compete with PC, which was always more powerful than their systems.
Why would they want that, though? What endgame is there for pretty graphics? They ultimately just want to tell sob stories about war, or realistic walking simulators. What I've come to realize is that games like Gone Home are no different from games like Uncharted. One just had a bigger budget to work with.

>The game world is huge and neither the Switch nor WiiU could have ever gotten that world up to 60fps unless everything looked like OG Starfox polygons.
And what would be wrong with that? I thought you guys didn't care much for realistic graphics? Is going retro suddenly uncool?

>That's what YOU do. YOU think that your taste in games is so superior to the rest of the world that literally anyone who disagrees with your taste is just wrong.
If you think this is what I do, then why do you do the exact same thing? "oh Zelda is popular and well liked, that means it's objectively good, because normie opinion has never been wrong before". You rely on bandwagoning as if popularity makes something good.

>You always just say "story is bad because I say so"
Because games with less story are objectively better than games with more story. Whether it's price to gameplay ratios, performance, DLC prices, or general code comparisons, the lesser story always wins.
>>
>do cardio for 40 minutes
>come back
>argument still going
>could have done it several times over
really puts into perspective how much of a waste of time this is
>>
>>388050579
>First point
Why are you bringing in Diversity and PC culture to the argument, those have nothing to do with story. Also to answer the question, they did it to appeal to a market that they retardedly thought was interested in games.

>Dinosaur planet had the potential to take the adventure genre in a new direction.
No it didn't, it had the potential to introduce Zelda fans to the furry fetish. And yeah, adding in Starfox and forcing dev windows that were unreasonable made the game a flop. Once again, nowhere in that statement does the story make the game a failure.

>Who the heck cares about Samus's character?
Lots of people. Which is why THE BABY is now a fucking meme, because they liked her character before other M ruined it. Once again, you place yourself in this position above everyone else where you believe your opinions on the game to be fact.

>Shitposters disagree with you so you're wrong
ok.

>It'll be biased when they give me a reason why they should stay.
because people like them. Because people who buy games enjoy them. Because once again YOU are not the only person who plays games, so making games that only appeal to you would be the death of the industry.
>>
>>388050969

>Story is uninteractive. Gameplay requires interaction. Story takes away from gameplay. I think it's a clear open and shut case as to why story doesn't ever help a game.
Story and gameplay are not mutually exclusive, you do not have to lose gameplay to include story. You create a false dichotomy between them and then assert that story is bad because gameplay is needed. If it were true that having story objectively hurts gameplay you would have a point. But that isn't true, so you're full of shit.

>And what would be wrong with that? I thought you guys didn't care much for realistic graphics? Is going retro suddenly uncool?
And once again you prove yourself to be a massive retard, who wants games to look like polygons from the 80s just to get 60fps.

>Zelda is popular and well liked, that means it's objectively good
No, Zelda is popular and well liked, so it is therefore not objectively bad. It is objectively successful. It is subjectively good to people who like it and subjectively bad to people who dislike it. You are incapable of differentiating between these concepts.

>Because games with less story are objectively better than games with more story
Life Of Black Tiger has no story.

>>388051545
I'm at work for another 15 minutes, I've just been killing the time while I'm stuck at the desk.
>>
>>388051665
>Why are you bringing in Diversity and PC culture to the argument,
They tie into why games are having increasingly bloated stories. They want to try and catch an audience that doesn't care about good game design. They just want the cinematic crowd. It's part of understanding why the industry has gone to hell so much.

>Once again, nowhere in that statement does the story make the game a failure.
Miyamoto had a big hand in the project, and he's infamous for being very stingy about how you portray nintendo characters. They couldn't take risks or go outside the safe zone that Miyamoto wanted for Starfox. So the story had to be chopped down and neutered, which ultimately hurt the gameplay. Shucks, it's why Andross came back for no reason whatsoever. The final result did have a bunch of bad problems, but story was definitely a big part of it.

>they liked her character before other M ruined it.
Her character? Before Other M it was just a robot suit going around killing monsters. Which was perfect. Samus didn't need to break down and cry or have emotional moments. And anytime Zero Mission and Fusion tried shoving this garbage in, it only soured the games. People should be more upset by them throwing out time tested gameplay conventions for unskippable cutscenes and hallways that don't let you backtrack. The biggest tragedy of Other M was that they took a videogame character and put her in a damn movie.

>because people like them
People don't know what's good for them, so their attitude on this is hard to take. I at least articulate my thoughts on the matter, instead of blindly following corporate hype.
>>
File: 1440148783443.jpg (488KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
1440148783443.jpg
488KB, 1280x720px
>this thread
This is some next level autistm, my dudes. I've also noticed how BotW is usually being shat on by a vocal minority that consists of AC fag, pokeybarneyfag and that one autist who constantly brings up AssCreed and how being able to climb whatever you want is supposedly a bad mechanic.
Rly makes u think innit?
>>
>>388052176
>And anytime Zero Mission and Fusion tried shoving this garbage in, it only soured the games
Those are two of the most beloved games in the franchise, and great examples of story done well in video games. You're a retard.

>People don't know what's good for them
And there we have it. You have literally admitted to thinking you know better than everyone else. There's nothing left to argue past this point, really. End of the day you will never get your way because there will always be people that like what you don't like, and they will always be a bigger market for game devs than you. But hey, at least you have Dwarf Fortress.

>>388052391
Don't forget Horizonfag. Although he may be the one that brought up AC towers all the time too. If not we can just call that guy towerfag or something.

Anyway I'm off work and done with this shitty thread.
>>
>>388051753
>Story and gameplay are not mutually exclusive, you do not have to lose gameplay to include story.
The only possible way for this to happen is if the story is told THROUGH the gameplay. That is something I would accept with open arms. It's something the original Zelda got right that BOTW failed miserably at. BOTW tried having too much story, but then said "it's okay, it's all optional". The problem is that they forgot to put content in its place for people who don't want anything to do with the retarded story. Letting me kill ganon from the get-go just makes me not want to play the rest of the game, because I have no reason to. I don't care if I didn't "get the true ending" because doing that makes the final boss worse. If I may bring up an example, Hollow Knight did this perfectly. The "true" ending makes the final boss even harder, and that's how it should be. You earn your better ending with blood and sweat. With Zelda, Ganon bends over and dies and you get a participation award for being a special snowflake.

>who wants games to look like polygons from the 80s just to get 60fps.
Performance and gameplay smoothness will always trump graphics.

>No, Zelda is popular and well liked, so it is therefore not objectively bad.
That doesn't excuse it from having flaws, nor does that shield it from criticism. You should know that every time someone tried to criticize the game, they were met with "keep silent, sonybro, BOTW will win the award for best game ever made". So if you want the freedom to like the game, you're gonna have to suck it up when people disagree.

>Life Of Black Tiger has no story.
And I'd probably take it over breath of the wild.
>>
Literally nothing except for some gripes that have the chance to be corrected with the next game. Christ I cannot believe /v/ now actually and unironically believes Breath of the Wild is a bad game.
>>
>>388052541
>Those are two of the most beloved games in the franchise,
Hold up there amiigo. Until Other M came around, Fusion was the red headed step child, being only one step above the original Metroid 2. And for good reason. It started many of Other M's cancerous practices.

>You have literally admitted to thinking you know better than everyone else.
As opposed to you who thinks that Zelda is objectively perfect and "only those salty sonybros would argue otherwise". Yeesh, at least I'm being respectful, while you gallavant around calling me a faggot, nigger, sonytard, and a host of other names. I don't recall stooping to such ad hominem, so I don't understand such toxic backlash.

I think that's overall my main issue here. You want the freedom to parade around Zelda like it's a perfect game all because you personally like it, and it's successful and has a high metacritic. But if someone uses this against you and, oh I don't know, implies that Uncharted 4 is better than Arms or Splatoon, you would go crazy. You would shout at the top of your lungs, even though by your logic he is objectively correct. higher metacritic scores and higher sales are on his side. So you can't have your cake and eat it too.
>>
>>388020795
you're telling a human to recreate humanity, it won't happen until we are outpaced by machines, until then it'll be lacking every time. the game sucks. stick stick with human art.
>>
>>388020795
people say open world is dead because its not open, its slightly less linear. humans won't make open for humans. we don't have enough time in the day
>>
>>388052981
>so I don't understand such toxic backlash.
It's because your autistic mindset is so far removed from a reasonable person's, yet you project it onto them and won't stop. It's frustrating. And you will infect thread after thread trying to force your disordered opinions onto neurotypical people. Being "respectful" while being absolutely insane won't make you much better.

Until genetic therapy comes around you won't understand why stories shouldn't be removed from gaming. Just go play your fucking minecraft.
>>
>>388020642
you made this thread
>>
>>388053518
>It's because your autistic mindset is so far removed from a reasonable person's, yet you project it onto them and won't stop
I'm asking for something so basic that no human being should have problems dealing with it: a little less story, a little less dialogue, emphasis on gameplay over graphics. How is this so hard?
>>
>>388052981
Lucky for you I have desktop notifications enabled so I saw your responses. Plus I'm waiting for my stove to heat up so I have some time.

>And I'd probably take it over breath of the wild.
There is no coming back from autism this bad.

>As opposed to you who thinks that Zelda is objectively perfect and "only those salty sonybros would argue otherwise".
Literally never said this. In fact, in this VERY THREAD, I criticized the game. I said the weapon drop system was an excuse to pad the game world with interactions, while having one of every weapon that could be upgraded at a blacksmith would have been better. In my responses to you, I have repeatedly stated that I don't mind people criticizing this game. I don't even care that you dislike it. The issue repeatedly becomes that you think that because you dislike it that it is OBJECTIVELY bad. Which it is not. There is no objective measure for how "good" a game is. So the game is not objectively good or bad. It was objectively SUCCESSFUL. By that measure, if you said Uncharted was more successful than splatoon or arms, I would agree. If you said it was better, I would disagree, but I wouldn't really care to get in an argument over it because it's subjective at the end of the day and you're entitled to that opinion.

You continue to spout bullshit about how objectively correct you are about story in games, and whenever someone criticizes your shitty arguments, you fall back behind "MUH ZELDA DEFENSE FORCE, YOU JUST CAN'T HANDLE MY REASONABLE CRITICISMS!!!!" You are a sperg and my timer in the kitchen is going off, so I'm out.
>>
>>388027708
Halo Reach
>>
>>388053518
>Just go play your fucking minecraft.
>Minecraft, one of the most successful games ever made, that has virtually zero intrusive over-arching story

Aren't you just proving his point?
>>
>>388053862
No. >>388039202
>>
>>388053734
>There is no coming back from autism this bad.
Yes, it's autism to disagree with a corporate overlord.

>Literally never said this.
It's hard to believe this amongst the majority of posts here, considering that most are praising the game as literal perfection. I have no reason to believe you sadly.

>The issue repeatedly becomes that you think that because you dislike it that it is OBJECTIVELY bad.
Because it has objective flaws. These must be addressed. Whether you think it destroys the game or not is subjective, but the issues plaguing the game are not.

>You continue to spout bullshit about how objectively correct you are about story in games,
I believe that what I say is fact because every time someone has an opportunity to present a counter argument, it literally works against them. When they say "sex appeal doesn't hurt a game" I simply point them to the hundreds of thousands of Zelda BRAP masturbation threads for fetish fuel. I ask to be linked to a non-shitpost zelda thread, and people scoff. And if your game is incapable of discussion without porn and shitposting, how can you say it is a perfect game where story and fanservice don't hurt it? The fanbase should be more willing to accept criticism if they think I'm such a bad person.
>>
>>388054186
All I see are a bunch of shitty, malformed comparisons. There's a pretty strong correlation between the absence of an intrusive story, like the ones in most AAA Western games, and the quality of the game itself.

Most of the most beloved games from the NES and SNES had virtually no story and just let the player play the game. Quality started taking a nosedive in the PSX era when developers thought they were competent writers and started shoehorning their bad stories into games that were fine without them.

Nine times out of ten games are better off without a major story. The one time out of ten is the exception that proves the rule.
>>
>>388054636
>now there are two of them
I'm not going to argue much longer with autists. They are perfectly fine comparisons for the argument that stories should be removed from games entirely, which is what this autist believes. He thinks RPGs simply should not exist. He is probably aware that he has autism, he has probably been diagnosed since he was three years old.

I don't know what you consider a "major" story. I agree that most games can be made worse with a "major" story if "major" means there are 20 hours of cinematics to 40 hours of gameplay. I don't agree if it means a story on BoTW's level, which is thin already.
>>
>>388055453
And after the garbage that we've been peddled, you honestly think it's without reason that some people will hate story in video games? After Dragon Age, Borderlands, Final Fantacy XV, final Fantasy 13, Uncharted, TLOU, The Order 1886, Depression Quest, Gone Home, Fez, Braid, and a myriad of other titles, it's so unbelievable that someone will say "nope, I'm done."

Sure you can argue that "oh Zelda does it better though." You know who else used that excuse? Dragon Age: Inquisition. You couldn't complain about the absolutely ass-backwards story and terrible characters because it boasted an impressive 200+ hours of gameplay. So you couldn't complain, right? except that wasn't the case at all.
>>
>>388055962
I dropped Dragon Age five minutes into 2. And Mass Effect was already shitty in the first game if you ask me. People who stuck with Bioware after that deserved what they got.

Outright hating stories in games makes you an autist no matter how much trauma you've suffered.

Also, what fucking story ruined Braid? Have you played it? The story is just the typical 2deep4u ambiguous mess where the developer is like "dude, maybe it means one thing, maybe it means different things depending on who you are... maybe it, like, means something that can't be put into words". It barely even exists. It's practically an optional story. And that developer fucking hates BoTW and Japanese games in general. He'd probably feel right at home with this autist because I imagine he has similar views on stories.
>>
>>388056468
>Also, what fucking story ruined Braid? Have you played it?
I have played it. It's barebones pretentious 5deep6me garbage designed to skirt off of its "artistic themes" with barely any gameplay in it. The game was bad precisely because the dev wanted to be this artsy fartsy snob who thinks games need to have "deep story". I can practically imagine the dev sniffing his own farts as he subverts the problematic "princess rescue story" and then throws something in about the atomic bomb and cis white male privilege. If a competent dev had been put in his place, we'd have less words and pretentious poetry reading segments, and far better gameplay.
>>
>>388056731
It is literally just gameplay with maybe 1 minute of story.
>>
I dont think it's a bad game but it has some glaring flaws that have been mentioned hundreds of times in these threads and yet praise it as a messiah of some sort
>>
>>388056881
It's barebones gameplay. Basically if you took Mario, added a time gimmick, and remove all challenge and difficulty from it. Also, take out the ability to die because that's problematic, add in a bunch of secrets that do nothing to make the game better and literally requires 12 hours of grinding, and just for the tip of the iceberg, let's have some pretentious music in the background.
>>
>>388020642
Story at the expense of a completely open world
>>
>>388057105
No, it actually has some interesting gameplay for a small puzzle game. It shouldn't even be brought up to act like stories are ruining gaming but if it is, it should be as an example of how games without stories can be good
>>
>>388057568
The time gimmick gets old fast and half the mechanics aren't even that interesting to use. The other half just feels like filler to extend the game length.
>>
>>388020642
Aperture Science was in charge of building the shrines. Also, the enemies are the same everywhere you go.
>>
File: 5da.jpg (301KB, 810x732px) Image search: [Google]
5da.jpg
301KB, 810x732px
>>388025247
>>388034346
Wow, great arguments.
Fucking morons.
>>
>>388048872
They forgot to add interesting locations and characters.
>>
>>388038904
speedrunner autism
Thread posts: 419
Thread images: 48

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.