[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why the hell do people prefer still prefer the genesis games?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 3

File: 6198MTEH1CL.jpg (79KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
6198MTEH1CL.jpg
79KB, 500x500px
Why the hell do people prefer still prefer the genesis games? Nostalgia? If you ask me, sonic rush series and advance series are the best sonic games.
>>
Try bringing an actual argument with you next time you want to start a debate.
>>
>>387992492
Sonic manchildren fans will never admit it, but i'm with you, OP
>>
>>387992492
that's because the Advance/Rush games are simpler in design and objective. Not easier mind you, but the challenge lies more with memorization that reaction and exploration as with the Genesis ones.

Autistic faggots like the memorization element more.
>>
Most people enjoy seeing what's ahead of them in a game about going fast.
>>
Advance is a good game but you are delusional if you think it's somewhere near 2 and 3 in terms of level design.
Also the momentum is still there but it's severely gimped because the "jap kids can't into sonic" mentality was already there.
Not even considering advance 2 and 3, they are simply shit. Rush is so different I feel we are talking about a completely different game.
>>
Sonic doesn't belong on a handheld.
>>
>>387995053
Fuck you, nigger.
>>
>>387995219
most of those games are mediocre and the ones that aren't have superior master system ports.
>>
>>387992492

Sonic Advance is mechanically decent but aesthetically bankrupt. None of the levels have any strong visual identity and the music is unlistenable even by the GBA's standards. GBA audio could be pushed to brilliance in the hands of a miracle worker (Golden Sun), or shine on its own merits pushing chiptune with the occasional orchestral flourish (Mega Man Battle Network) but the vast, vast majority of GBA games sound like ass and Sonic Advance is one of the worst offenders

>w-when was the last time you played it

Yesterday
>>
>>387995410
Hey, asshole:
If Coca-Cola Kid had a legit master system port (i.e.no tectoy shit) I would play the fuck out of it.
>>
>>387995669
Audio on the GBA took time out of the CPU, so it's usually games which didn't have a whole lot of action (e.g. RPGs) which could afford to have good music.
>>
>>387995815
Fucking Nintendo.
>>
>>387995815

Oh cool, I didn't know that. That explains a lot though, especially because other GBA games with strong audio that came to mind were Yggdra Union/Riviera and Advance Wars
>>
When will sonic fans learn that SA2B was the pinnicle of the series?
>>
GBA screen 2small
>>
>>387996013
When you learn that Adventure 1 was better. And that both games were janky as fuck and fairly mediocre design-wise.
>>
>>387995669
Okay but the genesis games look even worse.
>>
>>387995898
I think the Megaman Zero series had good music, but the samples were pretty grainy and there was a fair bit of slowdown in the first game.
The sound improved a lot in the DS port, that had very crisp audio.
>>
>>387996262
How were they janky? I've seen people speed run SA2B. That's literally what the games were designed for. It's just most people are too stupid to learn the mechanics. The only mechanic that sonic fans understand is the d-pad moves you in certain directions
>>
File: hydro.jpg (463KB, 1680x1050px) Image search: [Google]
hydro.jpg
463KB, 1680x1050px
>>387996264
>Okay but the genesis games look even worse.
They're certainly older, but nothing I'd call looking "worse".
>>
>>387996425
I need to check out the DS ports. I'm a huge fan of the series on GBA and it did have some cool tunes, but they were held back by the hardware
>>
You can experience the only good thing about Rush by simply looking up "Sonic Rush OST" on Youtube.
>>
>>387992492
Watch out, guys, we've got a hold-right-to-winner over here.
>>
>>387996737
It's a solid port, but I hope you weren't hoping for any major improvements. The screen space hasn't been widened at all since the GBA, I found that to be a significant problem. But everything's there, even Zero 3 mod cards.

ZX and ZXA are also pretty good if you haven't tried them.
>>
>>387996603
>How were they janky?
Try riding that rock snake in 1. Or just walking through certain terrains. Rail grinding in 2 was also far from perfect.
Of course you eventually learn to work around that, but that's not an argument. I'm sure there's videos of people speedrunning Bubsy 3D on YouTube.
>>
>>387996425
Not him, but I got a fucking story I gotta get out of me.

Ironically, I personally am offput a bit by the DS collection's audio. Mostly because it doesn't sound how I remember it sounding on a GBA, not even through an GBA emulator.

Even on youtube, you can tell the difference.
GBA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U384FdwoSmg
DS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5KrwIO09hw4

It's like that scene in American Graffiti where the music is playing low-quality on the speakers, but it changes to be crystal clear, because that's how the characters "hear" it in their heads.
Except the total fucking reverse for me, because I spent hours playing with the fucking GBA version on a pre-SP GBA, so my ears and nostalgia end up preferring that lower-quality sound and it throws me off when it isn't like that. Really though, the difference is subtle, but for whatever reason, it's just noticeable enough for me. Anyways, that's it for my grandpa rant.
>>
>>387997051
Your not getting the point. The game let you move at a fast enough speed so that your brain didn't have a fast enough time to process your next action unless you learned it through muscle memories. This is the intent of sonic games, and can be achieved in SA2B. Busy is so slow that you have more than enough time to consciously process your moments in a speed run. So, you so far have provided no valid critics for the game
>>
>>387992492
Personally speaking? The Advances had some of the worst Special Stages in the entire franchise for me, not to mention shitty entry methods. This might seem like a small thing but for someone who always aims for all emeralds, I found it to be a definite game-killer. Not to mention a lot of smaller things I enjoyed about the classics, such as Super Sonic, Knuckles having some exclusive acts/bosses and so on. The Advance's regressed from the S3K in a lot of ways, doing away with stuff that should have become standard like elemental shields, act transitions, mini-bosses and so on. Not to mention, not a single Dimps game to my knowledge comes close to having a level count that rivals S3K or even Sonic 2

None of this is a deal-breaker for me - I really like Advance, Advance 2 and Rush (fuck Advance 3) - but it does stop the handheld titles from coming close to S3K and Mania.
>>
>>387996941

I love ZX, Advent was a bit harder to get into. I don't remember liking the boss fights as much and the boss forms weren't as fun to use as the Biometals
Thread posts: 30
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.