[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Seriously, why the hell is this kind of shit allowed on steam?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 3

Seriously, why the hell is this kind of shit allowed on steam?
>>
You supported steam, you supported drm, everyone told you it's a slippery slope and now this is what you get.
I'm still a pirate regardless of drm so I don't give a shit, but you deserve a "good job" for your valiant efforts and donations.
>>
>>387964919
This isn't really a steam thing though, it's on the publisher.
>>
>>387965182
Oh ok, so you'll suck one cock but not the other?
You accepted one, you opened the door for the other.
>>
>WAHHHHH WHY WON'T THEY LET ME SHARE THIS GAME WITH EVERYONE I KNOW FOR FREEEE WAAAAAAAAAHHHHHH
Companies need to make money for the games they work hard to develop, fucking retard.
>>
What games uses that drm anyways? Legitly curious.
>>
>>387965818
The North American version of Anno 1404
http://store.steampowered.com/app/33210/Dawn_of_Discovery/

Buy it on GOG or pirate
>>
I can make you and everyone mad, OP. It just takes 4 letters.

GFWL
>>
>>387965678
reddit
>>
>>387965984
Games for Windows live doesn't make me angry.
>>
>>387965865
Oh Ubisoft, why are you so shit?
>>
>>387964804
you don't have 3 machines and you likely won't within the next decade at least. even if you do what are the chances you like this game SO much that you need it installed on four machines simultaneously?

youre complaining about nothing
>>
File: really blasts your brain mass.png (23KB, 240x240px) Image search: [Google]
really blasts your brain mass.png
23KB, 240x240px
>>387965367
hes not wrong. steamworks is the steam drm, and they offered it intially only so the first few people would actually jump on board and sell their games on steam itself. its completely optional and it even costs you LESS if you specify no drm. people are literally paying steam extra to have drm, and this is somehow steams fault? its not like drm didnt exist before and people didnt pay groups for their drm.

its funny to note that not even valve has steamworks on half life 2. their own major ip, and they dont even bother with a drm system they own and could use completely free essentially.
>>
>>387966467
Steam itself by virtue of requiring you to authenticate cd keys for it's products is a form of drm.
>>
>>387966268
The "3 machines limit" runs into the Ship of Theseus problem, where if you do something like say, switching a graphics card, it may count as a new machine.
I've found this ancient article detailing it:
>>
>>387966669
accidentally submitted post before Ctrl+V:
https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/01/16/ubisofts-activations-monitor-hardware-changes/
>>
>>387966638
Could you not make this argument for GoG as well?
By having to authenticate that you are a user that owns a particular library of games (by logging in), you are using DRM.
I don't think many people have a problem with this particular form of DRM, it's DRM that actually affects games after they have been downloaded that matters.
>>
>>387966669
>>387966726
wtf thats fucking bullshit. Also if I buy one game with DRM and then in a span of 10 years I'll buy 3 pre builds its over for me?
>>
>>387966893
Not even "pre builds", if you make a component change that the DRM finds egregious enough, it will consume an activation.
I believe most schemes of this nature force you to de-activate a game on a particular machine before giving you an activation back.
And yes, it's fucking horseshit, which is why almost no games use this shit (even back in the day when everyone and their mother was coming out with a new DRM scheme).
>>
>>387966856
>Could you not make this argument for GoG as well?
Correct.
However to a lesser extent (being able to make copies, being able to put it on other computers without drm involvement, never needing to re-authenticate), there really is no excuse for this type of evil plaguing pc gaming.
>>
>>387966638
only publishers that ask you. an example of this is you could go to a friends house, copy his copy of ftl from the steam directory, take it home and paste it into the same folder structure on a pc that has NEVER had steam, and hit play. viola. half life 2 is the same way.
>>
>>387967252
>copy his copy of ftl from the steam directory
Correct, but the progenitor of the original copy will always have to download and install steam before being allowed to play the game, at which point you're punishing the only customer in the chain.
>>
>>387967387
And a GOG customer needs to go to GOG to get it.

And a nintendo customer needs to go to walmart to get his game... I fail to see how going to a store is a punishment
>>
File: 1503106223733.png (188KB, 310x288px) Image search: [Google]
1503106223733.png
188KB, 310x288px
>>387964804
maybe you are forgetting Op that it is a 3 machine activation limit (per month) though it isn't stated as such in the steam window
>>
>>387966856
Not that guy but GoG doesn't really have any authentication on the games itself. You may have to authenticate yourself to download the install file but once it's on your system there's no longer any checks. Steam games, however, do require you to log into steam before running them. Not all of them mind you but a good number of them will give you a "Please Login to Steam" error box when the client isn't active.
>>
>>387964804
Rockstar used to do that as well. Quite shit really
>>
>>387966669
>>387966726
that's not the dev's fault. "machine" usually refers to CPU and no one changes CPUs unless they're rebuilding. if you're a serious PC gamer i doubt you're rebuilding your whole shit every few years, you're upgrading parts here and there
>>
>>387967467
>And a GOG customer needs to go to GOG to get it.
You don't need to install any gog bullshit to get a gog game.
And I already said that it was unacceptable because yes, requiring an account to download games is already drm.
>>
>>387967526
> but GoG doesn't really have any authentication on the games itself.
Sure, but that's not what we're talking about here.
We're just talking about downloading the game.
>>
>>387967665
>And I already said that it was unacceptable because yes, requiring an account to download games is already drm.
How else do you buy it...
>>
>>387967761
You pay money, and get it.
Either in a store, online, or even via email link. Nothing should be between your purchase of the game and playing it, especially software or authentication. A single .exe delivered however the fuck you want, no login required.
>>
>>387966856
>Could you not make this argument for GoG as well?
No, unless you're a retard. That's like arguing that every piece of paid software always has DRM because it requires authentication to buy with a credit card. No you fuckheads that's not what "DRM" means. DRM is about what you can do with the software AFTER you get it onto your computer, whether that's via download (most normal these days) or via some physical media. If you can do whatever the fuck you want with no dev imposed synthetic restrictions (if it's proprietary software there will probably be legal restrictions depending on jurisdiction) then the software doesn't have DRM.

So no, the fact that GOG only lets people who bought it download it is not at all DRM, that's just GOG's own service survivability. Bandwidth and storage isn't free. GOG doesn't stop you from sticking it on a disk and passing it around or uploading it to a torrent or whatever by technical means, but they can't afford to run freeleech themselves obviously.

Some Steam stuff has no DRM, but lots does, as in online-required or it must be "activated" or whatever.
>>
>hey, Billy just got the new linkin park CD and he's burning copies for everybody, you just have to give him a blank CD and he'll burn you one!
>hey Susanne, got any blank cassettes? The new Eagles single is about to play on the radio and I want to make sure I record it!
>wait, you actually pay for movies? You know you can just install Kodi on a firestick and watch literally everything for free, right?

You're all gibsmedats. You're a bunch of niggers but instead of DEM PROGRAMZ you want free entertainment. This is what happens when you're raised in comfort with the expectation that the things you want should come to you without delay. You have a sense of entitlement.
>>
>>387968023
>DRM is about what you can do with the software AFTER you get it onto your computer
That's more or less my point though, having to verify that you own a game to Steam before downloading it is no different than verifying to GoG that you own it before downloading it.
AFTER it's downloaded, obviously any restrictions are DRM.
>>
>>387967954
Stop being a faggot. You can go download a GOG game off of TPB or whatever because it's not GOG paying for the bandwidth and storage. They only offer the convenience of getting it direct from them to their own customers, and so they need to know who their own customers are. That's not DRM, that's just a delivery service. Just like if FedEx required you to sign for a package containing software it's not DRM on the software either you fucking autist.
>>
>>387968041
>>hey, Billy just got the new linkin park CD and he's burning copies for everybody, you just have to give him a blank CD and he'll burn you one!
High school for me was like that except instead of music it was movies.
>>
>>387968205
>Just like if FedEx required you to sign for a package containing software it's not DRM on the software either you fucking autist.
Ofcourse it's not because that's part of completing your purcahse. Once it's in your hands it's 100% yours to do whatever you want with.
It's not a bullshit steam game where you get a box with a piece of paper in it that says "fuck you, punch this into steam you baboon"
>>
>>387968342
>buying physical codes for digital redemption on steam
why?
>>
>>387968041
funny you mention niggers. Do you know americucks pay taxes to feed niggers? LMAO
>his country has welfare program for niggers
DOUBLE KEK
>>
>>387968173
>having to verify that you own a game to Steam before downloading it is no different than verifying to GoG that you own it before downloading it.
But the point other anons were making was that a lot of Steam games require authentication to RUN, not to download. Steam has DRM-free stuff too, and in that case it's like GOG, there's nothing wrong with Steam only offering a download to someone who has bought it.

But Steam also has lots of games that require authentication on the games themselves. After you download if you copied onto a thumbdrive and brought it somewhere with no Internet and tried to run it, it wouldn't work. No GOG game ever does that. You get an installer. You can then do whatever you want with it.

As a practical matter that can be really handy for some of us I'll add. I'm in Amerikkkastan which means the absolute best available internet at home is shitty 5Mbps ADSL. With GOG I can download a bunch of vidya at work at 100 Mbps, stick it on a USB drive and bring it home and it's fine even if the net is down entirely. Steam is sometimes cool with that but very often not.
>>
>>387968541
>other anons
I only responded to one anon, who was claiming that saying that verifying to steam that he owned a game before downloading it was DRM (which would make GoG's platform also DRM).

You are, as you have been for last 20 times you said it, correct about Steam games usually requiring authentication before playing, rather than just downloading, but that was never something I said was false.
>>
>>387968041
Nope, I just want the thing I paid for to work.
>>
>>387968023
>Being smart
GTFO back to wherever you came from newfag. Retards only on 4cuck.
>>
>>387968726
Downloading doesn't matter.
Thread posts: 44
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.