[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Should it be delayed?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 229
Thread images: 29

File: sonic_forces.jpg (51KB, 1024x713px) Image search: [Google]
sonic_forces.jpg
51KB, 1024x713px
Should it be delayed?
>>
>>387944803
yes
>>
The game is flawed on a fundamental level. So no, a delay isn't going to fix much.

They'd be better off going ahead and releasing the game in its current state so it can receive a lukewarm-at-best reaction, then Sonic Team will be shamed by being outclassed by the Mania team and we never get another game like Forces again.
>>
What is it people have against Forces? Looks good to me.
>>
honestly its better to have it delayed so they can polish it and fix some bugs in case. we saw how 06 and rise of lyric turned out
>>
It should be cancelled.
>>
>>387945197
It seems confused in its approach, I think this is why people are miffed.

SEGA should have just made a full on boost game, and if they needed that retro appeal, do a mania with Adventure-onward.
>>
>>387945279

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ToI7emaQgg

This seems to be the problem for most people.
>>
File: sonic_thumbs_up.png (116KB, 300x464px) Image search: [Google]
sonic_thumbs_up.png
116KB, 300x464px
>>387944803
Nothing is going to save it. It will bomb and get rated in the low 70s to high 60s. Sega will push all development resources onto the mobile platform increasing the brand there and abandon console development for years. Enjoy Mania because it's not happening again for a good fucking long time.
>>
>>387945893
Mania could be released to mobile and digital distribution.
>>
>>387945893
Won't the Avatar make it sell?
>>
>>387944803
Why? They would have to completely overhaul the game in order for it to be decent.
>>
>>387945769
>Expecting compelxity in tutorial stage

Same shit happened with Generations. The problem here is that for some reason SEGA refuses to show us past the first stages, so everything looks simplistic as shit.

I wanna see at least 1 or 2 later levels and if they are bad I'll gladly put my foot in my mouth.
>>
>>387945769
So is forces trying to do the same shtick as Mania? Will there be more remixed levels from past games?
>>
AHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAAAAAAAA
https://youtu.be/8ToI7emaQgg
>>
can we just take a moment to acknowedge how fucking annoying sonics jumping sound is? once you notice it the games become unplayable. is there a way to switch it off in the newer games? why does it even exist in the fucking first place
>>
>>387946625
When it has less complexity than the first level of the first game of the series, then it kind of is a bad sign. This looks like a first stage you'd expect from a Game Gear Sonic game.
>>
>>387946784

Probably, seeing how it mentions Chemical Plant Zone during one of the Avatar stages
>>
>>387945279
i will buy/pirate this, after generations, im xoecting more of the same, hopefully it will be modable abd i be wbke to swap them shitty greenhill textured for generations,

my only gripe is the boost bar (so far) wish they would make sa3
>>
>>387947651
I really, REALLY hope we are not getting Chemical Plant again if they do the retro level route. It was neat in Generations, OKish in Mania, and would be overdone bullshit in Forces (I am still mad that Green Hill is getting remade for the 5th time and not something like Angel Island or even Emerald Hill).

That, and the physics look stiff and the level design looks bland as fuck right now. I am really worried for Forces at the moment, and I get the feeling it won't be much better then Lost World.
>>
Delaying it won't help it's quality, But it will help it's reviews i think.
>>
>>387946625
>Expecting compelxity in tutorial stage
Mania's tutorial stage is ten times more complex, and it's a budget, digital-only title.
>>
File: 1451874249252.png (114KB, 512x512px) Image search: [Google]
1451874249252.png
114KB, 512x512px
>>387948037
What would make an Emerald Hill HD remake different from a Green Hill HD remake? besides music, since clearly keeping the same music wasn't a concern for Forces's Green Hill.
>>
what would you do if Forces outsells Mania?
>>
4th gameplay style for forces just confirmed, "Tag Team" levels. Sonic and the Custom Hero team up together for these levels
>>
>>387948037
>I really, REALLY hope we are not getting Chemical Plant again if they do the retro level route.
Considering Forces' Green Hill literally reuses some assets from Generations, I'd be surprised if they didn't do the same for Chemical Plant.
>>
>>387948450
Forces will definitely outsell Mania, especially since Mania has no physical release. What's more important, though, is which one will end up being more profitable. Since Mania was developed with a considerably smaller budget, it doesn't need to outsell Forces to be considered a larger success.
>>
>>387944803
I haven't seen a cancerous fanbase wish a game bomb so hard to make a statement since Fire Emblem Fates.
>>
File: 1497568550734.png (311KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
1497568550734.png
311KB, 1024x768px
>>387945279
Classicfags think it's a competition between Forces and Mania. They're literally saying it's going to be as bad as 06. It's a lot of over exaggeration.
>>
>>387948993
While I do wish Sonic Forces turns out to be decent, most of the stuff shown so far points to the game not playing all that well anon.

I was hyped as fuck for Mania and it turned out amazing, but everything I have seen from Forces is telling me to wait and see how badly they fuck it up.

That, and Sonic Team has been ass for years and SoJ has been literal cancer for the company for years and years.
>>
>>387947132
>>387948287

I am aware of that, I'm just giving it the benefit of the doubt only because we have only see the first stages.

If later stages turn out to be just as dismall I'll gladly admit this was a mistake. I just feel nobody is telling SEGA they advertisement so far has been shit too.
>>
>>387948993
But the cancerous parts of the Sonic fanbase DON'T want Forces to fail. They care more about tone, plot, and character interaction in Sonc games and don't see any issue with its gameplay since they'll claim "it's the same as Generations, I don't see what's so bad about it?"

People who want Forces to fail just want more quality games like Mania.
>>
>>387949153
Is this why the classicfags overblow Sonic's problems out of the water?
>>
>>387949419
I don't want Forces to fail because I don't want SEGA to go away from Sonic Forces.
>>
>>387949419
And how exactly does Forces failing mean you get more shit like Mania? Mania being successful is what will get you faggots more Mania. It's not a competition especially since the same people aren't even working on both projects. Forces failing just means they're going to reinvent the wheel again in 3-4 years like they did with 06 to Unleashed.
>>
File: speedhighway'.webm (3MB, 720x576px) Image search: [Google]
speedhighway'.webm
3MB, 720x576px
>>387949475
Yes. They don't even play the games they shit on.
>>
>>387949350
>If later stages turn out to be just as dismall I'll gladly admit this was a mistake.
The director for the game is the same guy who directed Colors and Lost World. The level design isn't going to get any more complex than it is now, and if it somehow does, it'll just be filled with more straight lines, boosters, and blocky platforming.
>>
>>387946625

It's not just the reuse of the stage theme. Look how stiff it looks. Listen to that fucking music. Compare it to Mania

That's the issue
>>
>>387949705
Colors and Lost World were both great. That's a good sign.
>>
>>387949872
Colors was good. Lost World was hot garbage though in every way.
>>
Are you worried it will be buggy? Or the same shit we've seen over and over? Because if it's the latter, what makes it any different from repetitive Mario games?
>>
>>387944803
delay it a year to add chao garden
>>
>>387949960
I enjoyed it, I loved the first three worlds.
>>
>>387949987
>what makes it any different from repetitive Mario games?

I mean 64, Sunshine, Galaxy, World, and Odyssey are pretty far removed from each other
>>
>>387947028
I'm sure there will be a way to turn all sounds down in a single setting so you can hear more of that ear-grating music
>>
>>387945769

They have considerably slowed Sonic down for retarded critics complaining about speed for years.

It doesn't look as bad as Sonic 4 though where momentum was completely borked. For the love of God, Sega - don't listen to the critics - listen to the loyal fans.
>>
>>387950413
What about all the people proclaiming Sonic is finally good again?
>>
>>387949576
>I don't want SEGA to go away from Sonic Forces.
Gross.

>>387949654
>And how exactly does Forces failing mean you get more shit like Mania?
Because the head of Sonic Team recently stated that the direction the future of the series is taken in depends on how Mania and Forces perform. If Mania is a success and Forces fails, then it'll demonstrate how incompetent Sonic Team is compared to a group of indie developers and will hopefully have an effect on the mentality involved with designing future Sonic games.

Forces is being designed as a game that is trying to pander to several groups at once. We don't need more games like that, we need more focused ones like Mania. This isn't some "modern vs classic" shit, I'm just tired of almost every new Sonic game falling into the"good enough" range.
>>
>>387950707
I meant to say I don't want SEGA to go away from Modern Sonic.
>>
>>387945279
The general public doesn't really hate it just not blown away from it like with Mania
>>
>>387949872
No, it isn't. It's a clear sign that Forces' level design is going to be very generic and a considerable step down from that featured in Generations. What they've shown off is already very telling.

Raise your standards.
>>
>>387950665

Sonic was always cool.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IGUboLZx3Tk
>>
>>387950707
To be fair, Sonic Mania was a fairly safe game to make since it borrows its design from the classic Megadrive titles.
>>
>>387945279
Classic Sonic looks bad. I'm willing to give Boost and Avatar more of a shot, we've only seen early game stuff.
>>
>>387945769

Sonic Mania has confirmed that this is pretty much a prologue level.
>>
>>387950795
Blame Sonic Team for that then. If the modern design continues to be associated with mediocre titles, and the classic with good titles, then it would make no sense for Sega to keep holding onto a version of Sonic that as a reputation among casuals that is ruined beyond repair.

I bet you if Sonic Team doesn't straighten up in the next few years, either classic Sonic will be getting even more focus than he is now, or they'll just hit the soft reboot button and redesign Sonic again with a more classic-esque look.
>>
File: 1502043477095.gif (975KB, 400x225px) Image search: [Google]
1502043477095.gif
975KB, 400x225px
>>387945769
WHY IS GREEN HILL ZONE IN EVERY FUCKING SONIC GAME
WHY
IT HAS NEVER BEEN A GOOD STAGE AND EMERALD HILL'S MUSIC IS SUPERIOR
FUCKING
STOP
THIS
>>
>>387951023
>Sonic Mania was a fairly safe game to make
Sega didn't think so. In fact, the head of Sonic Team was shocked at the overwhelming positive reception Mania received on its initial reveal. He didn't think people would be so welcoming to a classic focused title.
>>
>>387945279
2D sections still look like shit
>>
>>387951495
I honestly wouldn't be too torn up if they tried something new with 3D sonic outside of boost mode and wisps.

I liked Sonic Colors and Generations, but I feel like the gameplay is way too limited and on-rails at times. I am not saying go back to the way the Adventure games were, but I don't think Sonic Team has been doing all that great of a job lately.
>>
>>387950961
But Colors was really well received by fans, and many are now proclaiming that Sonic Lost World was misunderstood.

I am not even memeing about it, I played Sonic Colors and Sonic Lost World a fair bit. I am even replaying Lost World and remembering the challenge of getting the Red Rings.

I don't get a lot of the complaints for that game, barring the horrible gimmick levels, spotty parkour system, and confusing homing attack mechanics.
>>
File: Cyclone v Speed Star.png (363KB, 1089x333px) Image search: [Google]
Cyclone v Speed Star.png
363KB, 1089x333px
Which Sonic has the cooler car?
>>
>>387951893
So Sonic Lost World?
You can basically ignore Wisps in that game.
>>
>>387952128
>Sonic overcompensating
>>
You 3D Sonic fans are up shit creek.

No critics like the Adventure games. Adventure 1 and 2 have been retroactively deemed bad games - they might as well be seen as being more similar to Bubsy 3D than Mario 64.

Sonic '06 was a FAILED attempt at making Adventure 3. The message is clear to critics - anything that stinks of Adventure is bad for the franchise.

The only way a 3D Sonic is going to get a good reception is only if it's a Colors or Generations boost style game.
>>
>>387949654
>Forces failing just means they're going to reinvent the wheel again in 3-4 years like they did with 06 to Unleashed.
It's not like Sonic Team is doing anything interesting with the boost formula in Forces outside of more sidescrolling sections and boost hallways. I'd say throw it out and try something else, preferably something like in Adventure 1.
>>
>>387952128
I don't understand why Sonic needs a car. He can already run as fast as a car. What's next, Tails needing a plane?? Haha so silly.
>>
File: header.jpg (11KB, 460x215px) Image search: [Google]
header.jpg
11KB, 460x215px
>>387952270
>>
>>387952343
Same reason Sonic has a plane. He could just run over the ocean but sometimes he just wants to take it easy.
>>
>>387952246
But the games sold well even with their rerelease
>>
File: memlord.png (611KB, 610x830px) Image search: [Google]
memlord.png
611KB, 610x830px
I'm looking forward to Forces and even I hope it fails along with every other boostshit game so Sonic Team will stop being stubborn fucking nimrods and just make Adventure 3, which is the game that everyone wants.
>inb4Sonic'06
>>
>>387951893
>I honestly wouldn't be too torn up if they tried something new with 3D sonic outside of boost mode and wisps.
I think that's what a lot of people want at this point, even if it takes another four years of development.
>>
>>387951893
The problems with the Sonic parts of the Adventure games were mainly glitches and less of a focus on momentum and wider level design (despite both of those still being present) so they very well should go back to how the Adventure games were as long as they're determined to actually focus on the game and tighten it up. Lost World had some good concepts like actually having parkour as a much more active movement tool, but the level design is exactly what Sonic should never ever be.
>>
>>387952560
I think the tube levels were a great idea, I even like Desert Ruin Act 1s open areas.
>>
>>387952343
>I don't understand why Sonic needs a car. He can already run as fast as a car.
To make it fair.
>>
The true problem is that the Boost formula worked because it was simple, and because it worked people gave it high praise, and because it got high praise SEGA stuck with it.

Had SEGA stuck with Adventure or Lost World formula I think people would have changed their opinion.
>>
>>387952067
>But Colors was really well received by fans
Yeah, keyword being "was", and that's mostly because it was the first Sonic game in years to not have a lot of bullshit tied to its gameplay outside the Wisps. Since it's not 2010 anymore, a lot of people have been viewing it on its own merits and are concluding that it's really just a decent-at-best game with Mega Man platforming.

>and many are now proclaiming that Sonic Lost World was misunderstood
I've seen this a couple times, but they never explain how it's misunderstood. I think it's more likely that they just can't handle liking a game that most people view as being mediocre.
>>
>>387945192
fpbp
>>
>>387953061
Does that mean Mania's reception could become worse over time?
>>
>>387952374
I said more like Adventure 1, not a bastard child between Mario Galaxy and DKC.
>>
>>387944803
It should be cancelled.
>>
>>387953226
It was more like Adventure 1 than Forces.
>>
>>387953161
I hope so since it did so little new or inventive. Half the gimmicks they added were done in other 2d games.
>>
>>387952859

The boost formula can be cool. Not my preferred Sonic, or even 3D Sonic, but I'd still buy it if they were actually improving anything.

Instead we got a majority 2D game with 2 other playstyles hogging dev time that aren't really good on their own. Classic Sonic showing what a piece of shit it is thanks to Mania blowing Sonic Team the fuck out, and a donutsteel which is basically a gimped Sonic with a shitty gadget that does 2 underwhelming things. Plus Big Blue himself looks watered down compared to Generations. They might as well not even have 3D sections if they're not going to do anything with them. I didn't spy a single unique level gimmick, or anything resembling an alternate path.
>>
>>387953161
I highly doubt it. Sonic Unleashed, Colors, and Generations are good games for a playthrough and not much more. There's no staying power, and they're quite shallow.

Mania i've already gone through 4 times and I easily see myself revisiting it down the road. It's a game designed to be replayed, like the classics.
>>
>>387953356
Sonic Colors was designed to be replayed too it even had an arcadey Egg Shuttle mode too.
>>
>>387953356
So a game's staying power is based upon whether you like it.
>>
>>387953285
They should have at least scrapped Classic Sonic, they must be completely humiliated to still have him now that Mania's made his involvement in Forces completely redundant.
>>
>>387953507
That is a good point. I don't really go back to it sadly though. Maybe I should one of these days.
>>
>>387944803
A delay just to make it possible to make Sonichu or Coldsteel for the hell of it though it'd require a huge overhaul of the creator
>>
>>387952343
Because cars are WAY PAST COOL!
>>
>>387953161
Maybe slightly, but considering even casuals who claim "Sonic was never good" are praising Mania, I think Mania succeeded in being a good game in general instead of just being a good game for Sonic fans.

Mania is probably going to be the game everyone points to asking "why couldn't you do it more like this?" whenever Sonic Team releases their latest experiment if the devs aren't allowed to make another game soon.
>>
File: 1500807805336.jpg (84KB, 475x483px) Image search: [Google]
1500807805336.jpg
84KB, 475x483px
>nigger Sonic wasn't a thing in Mania
A RIVER IN A DRY LAND
>>
>>387953289
That really doesn't mean anything at all.
>>
So does Iizuka have full control over how his games are made or does he get a lot of mandates from corporate SEGA?
>>
>>387953904
I imagine Iizuka and his team come up with ideas for games, then submit them to corporate Sega who sometimes greenlights them with pointers on what demographic they should aim for, what popular trends they should try and include, etc.
>>
>less than 3 months for the game to be released
>the only modern sonic stage shown until now is not even full stage, just a tutorial stage of a ruined city

They don't even hype the game at all. Sure, making the character is awesome for some, but fuck, show the damn gameplay, show some stage to blow our minds like Rooftop did with Unleashed.
Hell, even Generations by now had a freaking demo with Green Hill and we already knew about the Eras.

>>387947651
Nah. Chemical Zone was mentioned because it was obvious link between Forces and Mania.
If we are getting remixed or remaked stages, it will be Generations 2 with zones that didn't got to that game without eras limitations
>>
File: gameland.jpg (251KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
gameland.jpg
251KB, 1280x720px
The very core concept of Forces is a mistake and will prove to be its downfall.

Sonic Mania is doing as well as it is because it is embodying the very essence of 2D Sonic that people liked in the first place, distilling it and refining it while throwing new twists in along the way. Clearly, this is the route SEGA should've taken with boost Sonic - taking what worked about Unleashed, Colors and Generations and trying to expand upon that gameplay. Instead what we've got is a sidestep. Sega still doesn't seem confident (or capable) enough to let the boost gameplay shine in its own right, so instead of pouring resources into improving and polishing it, they're pouring those resources into other gameplay modes and spreading it thin.

The next step after Generations should've been to focus on Boost Sonic, axe the alternate modes, make more levels like Generations' Seaside Hill and City Escape, and add a number of replayability-enhancing features like 2P racing (a la SA2B), time trials, ghost replays, unlockable stages a la Game Land, and alternate characters that play SIMILARLY to Sonic (instead of just being their own thing). Basically, every addition they make to the boost formula should ADD to the formula, rather than sidestepping it, as the Classic Sonic and OC gameplay styles do.

Boost games should be boost games and classic games should be classic games. Forces is trying to do both (and then some) but doesn't look like it's doing anything particularly well. The boost stages look less interesting than those in Unleashed/Gens and the classic stages are getting absolutely eclipsed by Mania. So what's the point of it even existing? It doesn't seem terrible, it just seems largely pointless.
>>
>>387951714
Palmtree Panic is the GOAT tropical starter stage tbqh
>>
>>387954947
And yet this is like the third time they've made this same mistake.
>>
I know people think if Mania is a bigger success we'll get more games like that but what if SEGA just makes shitty classic style sequels with its own team?
>>
>Fanbase fighting

Why? Mania was phenomenal and a great throwback for classic fans, and Forces is literally going to be the best modern day sonic since Adventure 2.

Cant we just get along? I'm hyped as fuck for both.
>>
>>387955267
Iizuka is the living embodiment of the fabled monkey paw. He'll continue to "fix" the Sonic series' problems in ways that introduce more problems or re-introduce old ones. Spreading the development time between playstyles didn't work back in the Adventures and it looks even less appealing now, even if one of the alternate gameplay styles is a cheap imitation of classic Sonic designed to win over nostalgiafag game reviewers
>>
File: 1456995225693.jpg (74KB, 640x479px) Image search: [Google]
1456995225693.jpg
74KB, 640x479px
Lets be honest. You won't want more classic sonic. Mania is a one time catch-all, its something special and unique because it rides out on past nostalgia with fine tuned gameplay and nice changes. A project like that only hits you once. If mania gets a sequel, you'll complain like NSMB getting a sequel. It'll get old fast, dull and you'll lose interest in it and whine about nothing original happening.

Sonic needs to constantly evolve as a series and it needs to say fuck off to its cancerous fanbase and what they want. The only way the series will stay afloat is doing what mario does, which is franchising and monopolizing the market as a major icon of the medium. .

For the one person that wants Sonic3K HD, 100 others would rather get something new and interesting.
>>
>>387955574
>Sonic designed to win over nostalgiafag game reviewers

It's not going to work now that Mania exists.
>>
>>387951714
At least it's pretty good in Mania.
>>
>>387954947
>Forces is trying to do both (and then some) but doesn't look like it's doing anything particularly well. The boost stages look less interesting than those in Unleashed/Gens and the classic stages are getting absolutely eclipsed by Mania
this is my problem with Forces too. I don't mind alternate playstyles but SA1 and 2 at the very least had unique experiences. Boost Sonic in Forces just looks like a worse Colors, classic looks like a less polished Generations classic, and the original character just looks like Wisp gameplay but with the boost omitted. Other than the character creator and the cheesy plot, what does this game have that I can't just get a better version of elsewhere?
>>
>>387951714
WHY IS WORLD 1-1 IN EVERY FUCKING MARIO GAME
WHY
IT HAS NEVER BEEN A GOOD STAGE AND WORLD 2-1'S MUSIC IS SUPERIOR
FUCKING
STOP
THIS
>>
>>387945769
Man this looks cheap. I think it's the lighting that makes it look so bad
>>
>>387956009
You say that as if it's not a valid complaint. 1-1 is shit.
>>
I miss the sense of scale in Unleashed. Too bad it ate up all of Sega's money with it's budget
>>
>>387955428
>Forces is literally going to be the best modern day sonic since Adventure 2
It doesn't even look better than Generations.
>>
>>387955428
>Forces is literally going to be the best modern day sonic since Adventure 2

lol

And this is coming from someone who really liked Generations. Not only does Forces not look like it improves upon it, it looks fucking worse in every single way
>>
>>387955756

I would pay for a Mania with all new levels every few years. But I would like to see where they could take Classic style when not limited to shooting for Genesis/CD/32x/Saturn style.
>>
>>387955756

No one here is saying 'only make retro Genesis/Saturn styled Sonic titles'. People here want 3D Sonic. They just want it to not be ass
>>
>>387955276
>what if SEGA just makes shitty classic style sequels with its own team?
I don't see why Sega would do that when they can keep using the Mania team as a way to push the "We're doing what no other publisher has done and hired fans to make quality games for a franchise they care about!" marketing angle like they did with Mania.

Also I'm sure the Mania team probably work on cheaper paychecks than Sonic Team does.
>>
Mania was perfect. let it stay as a one time testament to the time Sega did something right.
>>
>>387956009
World 1-1 is only in like three or four Mario games and it's usually some side thing like the battle stage in NSMBWii, the e-Reader stage in SMA4 (along with 1-2, 1-4, and 2-2) and the DLC stage in NSMB2.
>>
>>387955756
I'd happily take more classic Sonic. Sure, Mania reveled in nostalgia, but it also did plenty of new stuff in the Act 2's and the original zones were all brilliant (fuck the haters I like Titanic Monarch). Not to mention there are a lot of new quality of life features such as in the time attack, and the unlockables are neat too. The Special Stages are some of the best I've played in the series and having some Knuckles' exclusive levels again is a nice touch.

I don't think this is the "future" of Sonic but if Mania 2 has a greater portion of new content (more unlockables, boss rush mode? more new zones than old, etc) I don't see why they couldn't run a Mania sub-series concurrently with the main series, as they used to do back in the Gamecube/PS2 days when they would have the 3D branch of the franchise and the 2D Advance branch of the franchise.

I'm firmly of the opinion that Sonic should operate as two different branches, with one branch having more 2D classic content like Mania (but with less remix levels) and the other branch solely focusing on refining the boost gameplay, or turning it into something new, without alternate gameplay styles taking the focus away.
>>
>>387945560
Boost is garbage.
>>
I'd be more excited for forces if classic sonic wasnt in it.
>>
>>387949658
>tfw I can hear all the music and sounds
HELP ME I WANNA GET OFF THIS WILD RIDE
>>
>>387955428
>2 over 1
>shitting on the boost levels in Unleashed and Gens but liking the ones in Colors
>>
>>387952343
>What's next, Tails needing a plane??
But the Tornado is Sonic's. Or at least, it was.
>>
>>387957104
What? I hate both unleashed and colors, where on earth did you pull that from?
>>
File: 1481139107828.gif (804KB, 1307x734px) Image search: [Google]
1481139107828.gif
804KB, 1307x734px
>>387957234
>>
>>387956962
Boost is fine. Rush was a good game.
>>
>>387957578
I'm actually just pedantic.
>>
>>387957649
Rush wasn't that good. Sonic Advance 2 had the better boost.
>>
>>387957726
Rush was my second favorite DS game. I thoroughly enjoyed the stylish flow and tricks of the game.
>>
>>387957673
At least you're honest.
>>
>>387957837
I don't care.
>>
>>387957886
That doesn't matter.
>>
>>387957973
It does. Fuck off.
>>
>>387958040
It doesn't. In a discussion, if someone says, "I don't care," then they should fuck off or start posting their own opinions.
>>
>>387958130
What matters is that shallow, substanceless gameplay like boostshit has no place outside of a special stage.
>>
>>387957726
Sonic Advance 2's boost mode was fantastic because it was absolutely nothing like any future rendition of boost. Also tricks in that game were excellent and one of the best new additions there has ever been, as well as said boost mode.
>>
I for one think sonic should be divided into several core franchises like Nintendo did with mario.

Sonic
>Classic 2D running gameplay
Modern sonic
>3D platforming gameplay
Tails
>Ace combat style dogfighting and multiplayer
Knuckles
>Tower defense Master emerald protection
Robotnik
>Evil genius business simulator where you buy and scrap badniks and set up defenses to keep sonic and co out so you can build your themepark
Chaotix
>Point and click detective adventures ala sam and max
Shadow
>Edgy gun shooter for the pre-teens
>>
>>387946936

it can't be THAT hard to replicate the 2d physics in 3d can it?

was blast processing too far ahead of its time?
>>
>>387958434
Blast Processing is impossible to describe in its ingenuity.
>>
>>387958434
it is when you use fucking unity
>>
>>387958349
>Tower defense Master emerald protection
Kind of reminds me of Gemcraft or Cursed Treasure: Don't Touch My Gems.
>>
File: 1431503090277.png (55KB, 166x224px) Image search: [Google]
1431503090277.png
55KB, 166x224px
If Donkey kong can have 13 games, why can't knuckles even have 1?
>>
>>387958349
>Chaotix
>>Point and click detective adventures ala sam and max
I was thinking of this the other day. I'd be cool with something like that as a one off.
>>
>>387944803
I'll never understand why they're not making it play like Adventure (and without Chao Garden).

>>387954957
This.
>>
File: Iizuka The Idiot.jpg (19KB, 478x359px) Image search: [Google]
Iizuka The Idiot.jpg
19KB, 478x359px
>>387958629
Because if Chaotix sold badly, then any game featuring Knuckles will sell badly!
>>
>>387958686
Because the last time they tried "Sonic adventure 3" It was so questionable the Sega officially changed the name before release to "Sonic the hedgehog" to salvage any chance of ever even hoping to give adventure a future.
>>
>>387958434
It isn't, Sonic Team just doesn't try because they don't think anyone cares.
>>
Why are Sonic Team so incapable of learning from past successes (and more importantly past failures)?

Forces doesn't need the extra gameplay styles. Much like Mania combines the best parts of 2, CD and 3K's gameplay into a coherent and new package, the next iteration in boost should combine the best parts (not zones but gameplay and concepts) of Rush, Unleashed and Generations into something new and exciting. Instead it just seems like they don't know what to do with boost Sonic so they've gone back to the Adventure era formula of throwing literally everything at the wall and seeing what sticks, except that doesn't even work as well without something like the Chao Garden to glue all of the incongruent gameplay elements together.
>>
Sonic and Mario are national gaming icons. They could have ten consecutive bad games and people would still buy them out of brand recognition alone.

See: Past 10 years of sonic
>>
>>387945769
The backgrounds are so fucking bland and distracting at the same time.
>>
>>387958860
>Because the last time they tried "Sonic adventure 3" It was so questionable the Sega officially changed the name before release to "Sonic the hedgehog"
Sonic Unleashed was actually the last time they tried to develop a Sonic Adventure 3. It was referred to as SA3 during development but Sega decided to change the title to Sonic World Adventure (or Unleashed in the west) when they they realized the game didn't share much with the first two Adventure titles.
>>
It looks like generations, which I liked, what's the problem?
>>
They should get Hideki Naganuma back to compose another Sonic soundtrack. A 3D boost title with music like what Rush had would be a dream come true
>>
>>387959206
>>387958860
>>387958686

It astounds me how laughably lost Sega is at making another adventure title when the first 2 were just clusterfucks of ideas thrown together in hopes to make a cohesive narritive. Its unbelievably simple.

>Make 6 characters or 3 stories
>Reuse the same level for all 6 characters with slight changes due to gameplay mechanics
>Make campy stupid cutscenes and try to make your plot as serious as possible
>Add a chao garden. Its not like you're making harvest moon Sega

Suddenly, Millions of dollars for minimal effort... Wow!
>>
>>387959472
Thats because Rush's OST is JSRF lite.
>>
What's the best Sonic game to start with in this franchise? Is Sonic Mania a good one start with?
>>
>>387944803
Critically speaking, there's no way Forces is going to review as highly as Mania has. With that being said it'll probably sell well regardless so I don't see much point in delaying it now. Might as well release it, get lukewarm reviews and good multiplat sales, and then go back to the drawing board to reflect on why Mania was a good idea and Forces was a flawed one.
>>
>>387959775
No. Its a great game but its great because it plays off 1, 2, 3 K, and CD. Play those first, in that order, then play Mania.
>>
Should they try again with the Lost World gameplay and try to refine that?
>>
File: fix.png (662KB, 1470x1262px) Image search: [Google]
fix.png
662KB, 1470x1262px
>>387959775
3 and knuckles
Sonic CD
Sonic Rush
Sonic Mania

Ignore everything else thats ever existed.
>>
>>387959592
>Suddenly, Millions of dollars for minimal effort... Wow!
I never realized how easy it is to make games. You should be a game designer!
>>
>>387949658
Is that a mod?
Because all these years I never knew you could run on that building.
>>
>>387948037
It already got name dropped in footage. You bet your ass Chemical Plant is happening.
>>
>>387959775
Part of the appeal of Sonic Mania is that it takes locales you're already familiar with and subverts them in ways you would never expect, especially with the new and unique (relatively speaking to the rest of 2D Sonic) boss encounters. You could easily play Sonic Mania with a blind eye and enjoy it, but I think the experience is almost built in a way that ASSUMES you've played all the classic games already, so I'd say it's better if you at least have a go at the classic titles before trying Mania.
>>
File: fix.png (181KB, 1470x1262px) Image search: [Google]
fix.png
181KB, 1470x1262px
>>387960042
fixed it
>>
>>387960042
>Secret Rings in Okay
This will never not bother me.
>>
>>387960042
I'd add the Master System Sonic games to that list. Especially 1, 2 and Chaos.
>>
>>387960042
How is Colors for the DS better than on the Wii?
>>
>>387960042
I'd say Sonic Advance 1 belongs on your list as much as Rush does
>>
>>387960383
Colors DS is literally rush 3 minus blaze. Same engine, same mechanics but with wisps in 2D.
>>
>>387946784
>as Mania
you mean generations
>>
>>387960042

Man, I LOVED Sonic battle, wish I had someone else to play with, tho, but the story mode was pretty solid and way better than what other "fighting games" have ever done, in fact, Fightan games that want to add some story or single player element should take a look at this game at least, not perfect but very entertaining desu
>>
File: fix 2.png (316KB, 1470x1262px) Image search: [Google]
fix 2.png
316KB, 1470x1262px
>>387960336
fixed it for you
>>
>>387959947
If they were to "fix" Lost World's gameplay it would end looking completely different anyway. They might as well try something completely new.

I always thought a 3D game that focused on gaining speed by performing tricks using the environment would be cool. Like a mix between Advance 2, Rush, and Jet Set Radio. Or maybe try to properly translate classic gameplay into 3D for once. We certainly have the technology for it now compared to the Dreamcast days.
>>
>>387960557
>Sonic Mania
>Good
lolno
>>
>>387960557
Classic Sonic Fags need to be launched into an active volcano.
>>
>>387960645
You're right, it's amazing.
>>
File: 1490657207443.png (167KB, 312x376px) Image search: [Google]
1490657207443.png
167KB, 312x376px
>>387960042
>any sonic game
>good
cmon now....
>>
File: sonic was never good.png (41KB, 1470x1262px) Image search: [Google]
sonic was never good.png
41KB, 1470x1262px
Actual fix here
>>
>>387945560
they wont make a full boost game because the game would be too short.
>>
>>387953161
Mania will be viewed less-positively if future Sonic games are better than Mania to the point that standards improve. And honestly if that happens it would definitely be a good thing.
>>
>>387960743
Its shit
>>
>>387960914
It's the second best Sonic game.
>>
>>387960963
Thats not saying much
>>
>It's been nearly a decade since we had a Sonic game that was just all-new zones with no throwbacks and no "it's literally just Green Hill/Casino Night" Chinese knock-off zones
I hate this

Throw whatever shit you want into Forces but please can we just get new zone line-ups in the future. A Mania 2 with all new zones and a boost game with all new zones is all I need from the Sonic franchise.
>>
>>387953815
>he hasn't unlocked Nigger Sonic
How shit are you? I bet you don't have Super Sonic God Super Sonic either.
>>
>>387961018
In the company of 3&K, it is.
>>
>>387961090
Its not when 3&K is shit too
>>
>>387955756
>You won't want more classic sonic.
Why wouldn't I? I enjoy classic Sonic enough that I play ROMhacks of the games so I can get more content.
I don't think they should pump out yearly sequels to Mania but it was a good thing and I would absolutely buy another one in 3-4 years.
>>
>>387945769
>Be sonic team
>Be unable to make a fun sonic level with multiple branches splitting paths that doesn't look boring as shit.
What did they mean by this.
>>
File: 1500703213577.png (311KB, 412x305px) Image search: [Google]
1500703213577.png
311KB, 412x305px
>>387961158
>>
Taxman you went TOOOOOO FAAAAAAAR!
>>
File: 1503455466953.png (37KB, 1470x1262px) Image search: [Google]
1503455466953.png
37KB, 1470x1262px
REAL fix coming up, boys, don't even try to contest it.
>>
>>387961019
>Sonic colors literally had the most "original" zones to date
>Tropical amusement park
>Underwater japanese garden
>Lightbridge in the heavens
>Rollercoaster ride
>Construction zone
>T-that doesnt count
>>
>>387961158
Really dedicated to that bait, aren't you.
>>
>>387958434
It's just a tech demo but I think Utopia has great physics.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XBZgk8gJc6g
>>
>>387961639
>M-MUST BE BAIT
Fucking autists really can't accept that their shit series was never ever good and will never be
>>
>>387961449
>T-that doesnt count
Did you miss the part where he said it's been nearly a decade since that level of creativity? Colors came out in 2010.
>>
>>387961874
7 years isn't 'Nearly a decade" idiot
>>
>>387961449
That was still 7 years ago though
>>
File: 1475031525291.png (352KB, 450x499px) Image search: [Google]
1475031525291.png
352KB, 450x499px
>>387961946
>7 years isn't 'Nearly a decade" idiot
Uh, yes, it is. It's three years off from being a decade.
>>
>>387961946
No need to take it so literally my autistic friend, I just didnt remember specific release dates

My point is still the same - it's been far too long since we've had actual creative stages. I've just about had it with brown checkerboards by now.
>>
>>387945769
The music is shit tier, Jesus Christ I hope it gets better.
>>
>>387959947
As much as I want 3D Sonic to have platforming again, I think they should just stick to one thing. Problem is, they won't make one thing without attaching 2 other things too it.
>>
>>387945769
The physics are so fucked.
>>
>>387953797
Most 2D Sonic games before Sonic 4 were well received in general.

Even the Rush series was attractive to casuals.
>>
>>387949658
>Sonic Forces thread
>Brings up SA an actual GOOD game

Pathetic and sad.
>>
>>387962614
You're right, but those games were released before the whole "Sonic was never good" thing started. I think the fact that Mania wasn't faced with constant "classic Sonic is fundamentally flawed" criticisms is a testament to its quality, showing that at its base it's actually just a really good platformer instead of being considered "good for a Sonic game" like Colors or Generations.
>>
>>387960336
>>387960557

>sonic cd
>good

loooooooooooooooooooooooooooooool
>>
File: georgeiizuka.jpg (19KB, 300x400px) Image search: [Google]
georgeiizuka.jpg
19KB, 300x400px
>>387961360
TOO FAAAAAR
>>
File: 1421282453508.png (46KB, 180x234px) Image search: [Google]
1421282453508.png
46KB, 180x234px
>>387960042
>no Spinball in Okay games
>>
>>387955756
I would like them to build off concepts from the Advance series.
>>
File: file.png (62KB, 461x283px) Image search: [Google]
file.png
62KB, 461x283px
look at these coins
>>
File: 12.jpg (70KB, 800x610px) Image search: [Google]
12.jpg
70KB, 800x610px
>SEGA caves and lets you have your classic Sonic game in the style of the older games.
>It comes out really good.
>Still sit around and complain about the Sonic game that's clearly aimed at younger audiences.
>>
>>387965195
this. if forces does well they can invest some of that money into Mania 2.
>>
>>387954947
>The next step after Generations should've been to focus on Boost Sonic, axe the alternate modes
The budget would have to be tremendous. Even Unleashed with all the money they put into it, they had to pad it out with the Werehog to make the game longer than a few hours.
>>
>>387946625
Hell, forget Mania, Generations had a way better Green Hill Zone than that.
>>
>>387959592
>reuse the same level for each character
I don't think we played the same SA2.
>>
>>387965195
I would like to see a classic Sonic game aimed at a younger audience.
>>
>>387965195
Why can't Sonic games aimed at younger audiences be really good too? Why can't people just have standards?
>>
>>387965914
Not everyone thinks the Modern games are bad. I love Unleashed for the amount of care that was put into it.
>>
>>387960056

And that is why so many people think Sonic Adventure is a bad game.

They don't know the first thing about how to play it or how much crazy shit you can do, even if they've finished it, because they had the creativity of a factory worker and just ran down the easiest, most obvious and handholdy path the whole time.
>>
>>387966061
>Not everyone thinks the Modern games are bad.
Did I say they were bad? Why are you being so weirdly defensive.

I just want all Sonic games to be on the same level of quality as Mania. I don't see what's so offensive about that.
>>
>>387961832
Only one with autism is the one trying to shit up the thread. Takes a lot of autism, friendio :^)
>>
File: 20170822_204711.jpg (152KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
20170822_204711.jpg
152KB, 640x480px
Lance Corporal Chandler reporting for duty, Sonic!
>>
>>387945279
>Looks good to me.
If it looks like anything but "mediocre" you might want to play more video games.
>>
>>387967098
He actually looks like a normal standup guy in that crudely drawn army outfit.
>>
File: WHERE IS MY WIFES SON.jpg (37KB, 377x354px) Image search: [Google]
WHERE IS MY WIFES SON.jpg
37KB, 377x354px
>>387952205
I'd overcompensate if my penis was non-existent too probably

They should reintroduce the "goggles" monitor from Sonic 1 Beta, add a helmet to the image, and it gives Sonic a little Crazy Frog dick for the rest of the stage
Thread posts: 229
Thread images: 29

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.