[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why the overabundance of armoured knights?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 6

File: ds2-1418310781.jpg (493KB, 1920x1200px) Image search: [Google]
ds2-1418310781.jpg
493KB, 1920x1200px
Why the overabundance of armoured knights?
>>
>>387938579
The original director fucked the game up so bad, they had to call in another director to fix it. Publishers being publishers still wanted it released by a certain time, so they probably had to not go too crazy with enemy design and instead work with the skeletons and rigging they had.

It's the #1 reason a lot of things are "disconnected" or "unpolished." I'd be curious to what quality of game Miyazaki would have come up with given the full length of development time, because DS2 was pretty good.
>>
>>387938579
Because people love human boss fights over monsters even though they're playing a D&Dish fantasy game where fighting imaginative monsters should be the main appeal over fighting humans so they replaced every monster boss fights with human boss fights because fuck fantasy and imagination people love human boss fights.

Artorias is the worst thing that happened to the Souls series. Prove me wrong.
>>
>>387938839
>It's the #1 reason a lot of things are "disconnected" or "unpolished."

No that was actually the devs scramblilng to get a PS4 game running on PS3. THEN the previous director's asshattery.
>>
>>387938579
Because the game is meant to be more challenging than the first.
>>
Bloodborne has an overabundance of beasts that flail at you, yet no one complains about it.
>>
>>387939483
Probably because a). those beasts were awesome; and b). the point of the game.

Dark Souls 1 had a great mix of both humans and monsters. So to see a sequel lean heavily to one side of those is a weird a choice of direction.
>>
>>387938579
It's safe.
DaS 2 is a filler cashgrab while 3 couldn't be delivered thanks to Bloodborne development.
The fact everything you did in 2 has no repercussion whatsoever and is never adressed in 3 tells you how important this game is to the series.
>>
>>387938579
It's a theme. Lordran was the land of the old Lords, a land filled with monsters and abominations detached from civilization. Thus, the enemies and bosses reflect that: either monsters of legend or the deformed reflection of a being's former self. Legends, and things that once WERE something.

Drangleic, on the other hand, follows the theme of a dying kingdom desperately trying to get away from the effects of the undead curse. Most of its prominent maps are castles, fortresses, things tied with nobility. Places like Tseldora are meant to represent the lower castes of this society. They're not as detached as Lordran's foes because they're still in the way towards total decay.

Lothric would be the link between Lordran and Drangleic in a circular narrative, the progression between "the falling kingdom" and "the things that once were and now are detached and part of legends and myths" in the sense of it being an already a place that's fallen from grace, but not as detached as Lordran. It takes place in a freshly lost empire.

Maybe I'm looking too much into it, but that's at least my take on it as I played them.
>>
>>387939713
While theyre cool to look at, the fights against humanoid bosses are very often more fun to play.
>>
>>387939989
That's not really the fault of DaS2 itself so much as From listening to the fanbase and trying to pretend that it didn't exist.
>>
>>387940409
It is though. Reincarnation of ancient souls? Deus Ex Machina to cure the curse? Becoming an immortal tree-thing? That was not in sync to the series. The whole point is that we are doomed and there's no escape except accept it or delay it.
>>
File: 1407269312027.jpg (48KB, 417x510px) Image search: [Google]
1407269312027.jpg
48KB, 417x510px
>>387938579
>>387939713
number of humanoid bosses vs total bosses
>DaS1: 5/26 ~19%
>DaS2: 11/38 ~29%

is this difference truly so enourmous that it breaks the game?
>>
>>387938839
>The original director fucked the game up so bad, they had to call in another director to fix it.
Didn't this happen with Devil May Cry 2? Why do they keep doing this?

>director makes a successful and popular game
>replace him
Why?
>>
>>387941553
That's bosses, though. Not the other NPCs or enemies. Nor do the monster bosses in DaS2 have the creativity of DaS2 or BB.
>>
>>387941553
Yes because numbers don't tell the whole story.
It just doesn't feel good fighting or getting to them. It's not only quantity but quality as well, just feels generic in comparison.
>>
>>387941853
>Nor do the monster bosses in DaS2 have the creativity of DaS1* or BB.**
I hate making typos.
>>
>>387941186
None of that stuff didn't not 'sync' with the rest of the series when it was only the second game in the series. That just makes you sound like you're mad that they actually gave you a semi-decent ending in DaS2 if you worked hard enough for it, which was hardly a deus ex machina btw.
>>
>>387938579
B team isn't very creative.
>>
I don't hate armoured humanoid bosses but i really hate how samey and awfully shitty they feel in DS2. Like, in DS3 two humanoid bosses are absolutely different. Homoprinces jump around with nothen personnel teleport and launch attacks from multiple sides simultaneously, Pontiff creates a synchronised Stand and completely changes his moveset when it's present, Dancer has all sorts of weird unpredictable moves, grabs, aoe attacks.
In DS2 humanoids feel like total samefags. All of them just have a grab, multihit, lunge and some sort of projectile or aoe. Once you've learned how to deal with one, you basically don't even need to re-learn, you will fuck all of them just by hugging their ass. Even fabled Fume is just so fucking boring compared to best bosses of DS3 like Gael or SoC it's incredible why he's still held in lists of good bosses. Don't even get me about ivory king, aside from presentation he has like 3 moves and feels like shittier Gwyn.
>>
>>387941980
I'm not even saying this thinking about 3.
When i finished 2, i immediately thought "This doesn't feel right".
The whole idea that we are repeating the same mistakes of the past is ok. But souls are being ressurected? No, that was new and make little sense since you burn them in the fire.
And trying to break the cicle is an interesting idea to go for. But since the very first intro from 1: "the flame will fade and only embers will remain".
Gwyn quest is about not accepting the inevitable. If the inevitable become "evitable", it loses the whole meaning.
So while the idea of trying to break is not condemnable in itself, actually accomplishing it is and goes against the theme in these games.
>>
>>387941865
well then the proper complaint should be that the bosses are bad, not that they're humanoid

>>387941853
is that supposed to be a joke?
tell me what kind of enemies you fight throughout most of the asylum, undead burg and parish, depths, blighttown, sen's fortress, anor londo, ariamis, archives, catacombs, tomb of giants and most of oolacile?
sometimes they got funny heads or are just bones, but most enemies you fight in DaS1 are humanoid characters using melee weapons just like in 2
>>
>>387942552
>Homoprinces jump around with nothen personnel teleport and launch attacks from multiple sides simultaneously, Pontiff creates a synchronised Stand and completely changes his moveset when it's present, Dancer has all sorts of weird unpredictable moves, grabs, aoe attacks.
That's in idea, but in practice, they all feel very similar. You're too easily impressed by visuals. Only SoC feels different compared to the others and that's because each of his forms in phase 1 have require a different mindset to approach. Even then, in phase 2 he just becomes like all the other bosses.
>>
>>387942660
Even IF that's the idea of the first game, there's nothing that says the second game has to have the exact same theme. The fact that there was so much extra effort involved in making even such an imperfect cure as the crown was there as a small glimmer of hope. I don't see anything wrong with that or anything else you talk of.
>>
>>387938579
Probably because fighting big knights in armor is common in the series.

>>387941853
This is just wrong.
>>
>>387938579
creative bankruptcy
considering how/much DS1 borrows from DeS, we should've seen it coming. Plus they gotta crank these games out, creative ideas be damned
>>
>>387942971
You don't see anything wrong with the crown? You never stopped to wonder why it works? Do you really see any sense in a crown that out of nowhere cures a curse that basically defines the human condition in these games?
>>
File: xgwG8DL.png (138KB, 250x258px) Image search: [Google]
xgwG8DL.png
138KB, 250x258px
>>387939483
>beast souls
>too many beasts
>>
>>387943294
How does it come out of nowhere when not only was it something Vendrick had used every resource he had to even gain a concept of it, but you have to go through three whole other kingdoms for? Sounds like there is literally no way such a thing could ever exist that would make you happy, which is why we are at an impasse.
>>
>>387942552
Every since humanoid boss in DaS3 breaks down to this:
>1st phase is needless padding you can sleep through.
>2nd phase is chain roll through their combo and then hit them.

Also, comparing Ruin Sentinels to Fume Knight, Ivory King, or Sir Alonne just makes you look retarded. There's an intrinsic difference between most of DaS2's bosses, enough that they require different strategies to be effective against. The Pursuer and The Looking Glass Knight.

Meanwhile Dancer and Pontiff are virtually the exact same fight in that all you do is roll until they stop sperging out, then hit them, repeat. The only mechanical difference between the two of them is that Dancer cann't be parried and Pontiff can, which makes her fight moderately more difficult.

The only two fights that truely stand out are Nameless King and Sister Friede, but 3rd phase Friede largely has the same problem is that she just twirls around non-stop most of the time.
>>
>>387941553
The thing is that in DaS1, out of those humanoid boss fights, only 2 of them were actual 1v1s, the rest all are centered around some sort of gimmick (invisibility, kiting a duo around and being covered by pillars, running inside a long corridor and using pillars for cover, chaotic ambush inside a small room, etc.) In DaS2 and DaS3, there are a ton of humanoid boss fights that are just 1v1s without any sort of trick to them.
>>
>>387942964
>That's in idea, but in practice, they all feel very similar
No, they really not. Each major boss has a distinct feel to him. In DS2 i could totally mistake Dragonrider and Pursuer for example, they require absolutely the same tactics.
>>
>>387943607
>Meanwhile Dancer and Pontiff are virtually the exact same fight
Your hypocrisy is baffling. Pontiff is all about massive multihit combos, later with his Stand on. Dancer is all about weird as shit movement and unpredictable attacks.

And yes, i can totally compare Ruin Sentinels, Fume and Alonne. They all break down to exactly the same shit, with a massive blind spot on their backs.
>>
>>387941553
humanoid =\= armored knight
>>
>>387943574
No, we are just having different thought processes here. You're thinking that the hard works you do to get it, automatically justify it existence. While i'm saying is that there's nothing in 1 and 2 that justify it. Where it comes from? What magic is this? Can it be reproduced? Who made it? Why no one discovered it before? Who discovered it and how?
It's just there and it just works. And all the game says is that if you get it, you're cured. Even collecting the Zelda pieces had more to it. I hope you're understanding my point here.
>>
>>387943725
>No, they really not. Each major boss has a distinct feel to him.
They really don't. Like I said, you're just impressed by the visuals. That's why you feel like the fights are different even though they boil down to the same strategy, which is "learn which attack is delayed and which aren't, then spam roll+R1", because DaS3's combat system isn't slow enough to allow variability.
>>
>>387939713
Ehhh, the retard flail a lot of bosses have is my only real complaint about BB bosses since it's not just "you were slightly bumped, so take a bit of damage and get knocked prone" but instead "you collided with one pixel of this thing, so you're dead". Another general complaint is that From doesn't make their hitboxes based on direction, so you could touch an object in the direction it's moving and still take full damage.
>>
File: 1494452024327.png (127KB, 339x273px) Image search: [Google]
1494452024327.png
127KB, 339x273px
>>387939425
>challenging

>Tanimura-san, we've got a map for black gulch, what do you want to change ab--
>PITTUFARRU. Rots of pittufaru and burakku monsta.
>Okay, we've got a design for-
>Chotto matte, better idea. Aruso put there statues. Sutooun statues widdu poison. Arr area.
>But that kills the flow of the area...
>Aruso, put NPC enemies.
>Isn't this unfair?
>If you think that's unfair, jasuto wait antir they get to the faastu DLC! [raughs]
That's just an example.
Then there's optional areas for bosses in DLCs, and the fact that 90% of the encounters is you getting ambushed by 2+ enemies all the time because U WAN FAIR GEEMU? 2 BAD, HAVE GANK
>>
>>387944304
>They really don't. Like I said, you're just impressed by the visuals
I'm not even talking about visuals. When Princes launch slow homing beams of light then teleport behind you, it requires different tactics to escape compared to any other boss. When SoC starts changing his forms, you need to get used to each of them or he will trap you on careless rolls or attacks. Each humanoid boss, even shittier ones like Vordt have something distinct going on for them in general.

In DS2 i can barely make a distinction between all those samefags. They don't present absolutely anything new and usually are a just a downgrade of some DS1 boss or enemy.
>>
File: 1392813744316.jpg (27KB, 287x242px) Image search: [Google]
1392813744316.jpg
27KB, 287x242px
>>387943686
but that's a lie
there is only 5 proper 1v1 in the base game and 2 in the second dlc
there are plenty of 2v1/3v1 (ruin sentinels, double dragon riders, throne watcher/defender, ganksquad) and gimmicks like summoning players or enemies
>>
File: a25.png (542KB, 811x710px) Image search: [Google]
a25.png
542KB, 811x710px
>>387943686
Bosses in souls were always about gimmicks
Throwing miltiple bosses instead of one is not a gimmick, but a shitty design, something that DaS2 liked doing much more than any other DaS.
-Discount O&S
-Sentinels
-Gargoyles
-Dragonriders
-Elana
-Ganksquad
-Lmao 2cat
Thread posts: 41
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.