[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So what is up with people suggesting regular headphones over

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 6

File: 518Kly7aaaL._SY355_.jpg (18KB, 328x355px) Image search: [Google]
518Kly7aaaL._SY355_.jpg
18KB, 328x355px
So what is up with people suggesting regular headphones over surround sound? I started with a Sony Pulse Elite, then due to bad build quality, had to replace it with a Sennheiser Game Zero. I decided to spend the extra cash because everyone kept insisting that surround sound is snake oil. I went from being able to pinpoint other players with my eyes closed to not even being able to tell if they are in front of me or behind me. Are all of you delusional due to wanting your headphones of choice to be better than it actually is, or has this been some epic trolling that everyone partakes in?

Hopefully I can sell my Game Zeroes for a decent price as to not lose much. Hopefully shouldn't be that hard seeing as I got them for $150.
>>
headphones are stereo, any of them advertising 7.1/5.1 surround sound are cheap shit marketed to the "gamer" crowd

you bought a shitty closed back headset that probably has little to no soundstage. buy a decent pair of open back cans like the SHP9500 and you'll be able to hear directional sound much better
>>
>>387935821
Audiophiles hate surround sound headphones because it's a compromise on sound quality.

Everyone wants to be an audiophile so they can wear their headphones in society without looking like a neckbeard while still looking like a twat
>>
>>387936207
I've tried on open back ones too and they sounded the same. I take evidence over shitty bragging.

>>387936306
If they compromise sound quality, then I couldn't really tell much with the Pulse Elite. Plus I'd rather have better location over quality considering I'm using them for vidya for a reason. Looking like a douche doesn't make the game experience any better, especially since I don't wear headphones to be part of a crowd to begin with.
>>
Music and most sound is stereo and a great sounding pair a professional headphones with good sound stage is a good investment for almost every situation. Surround sound headphones are a gamer meme and isn't worth sacrificing fidelity and build quality for a feature that will mostly go unused and adds almost nothing.

That being said nobody cares if you want to use a shitty surround sounds gam3r headset, go ahead
>>
>>387938821
This is exactly what I'm talking about. With video cards, CPU's, and so forth, we care about real life performance over what fictitious numbers are given to us.

Why is it then that you guys think real life results should be tossed to the side in favor of your fictitious numbers?

>muh super secret headphones are clearly better than those that don't perform the same way due to muh super secret sauce
I've tried out different ones and it all comes down to the same result. Sure they may sound great with an awesome sound card for playing your shitty music. This is /v/, so why are you in here spewing /mu/ style philosophy? Your shit don't apply. Learn what a meme is. You are the only ones spewing memes with your headphones that are shitty for playing games.
>>
>>387939598

Why are you so determined to defend gaymur headsets? They're either overpriced ( Astros ) or complete shit ( Triton, Turtles, etc )

A modest pair of headphones and a clip on mic is superior. Deal with it.

t. owner of gaymur headsets and headphones alike
>>
>>387939598
Just go use your headset bud, if you can't hear a different or care about the build then why does it matter? Just use what you want.

>fictitious numbers
what kind of brainlet term is this
>Why is it then that you guys think real life results should be tossed to the side
>why should my personal anecdotal evidence be tossed to the side in favor of actual facts and readings
>>
>>387939856
>actual facts and readings
Technical specs don't determine real life performance. Being on /v/, you should know that by now but I guess somehow you don't.

>>387939823
Which "gaymur" headset am I defending? Those brands that you listed are the type of brands I was trying to avoid.
>>
Gaymen headsets are a scam to begin with, pairing cheap shitty drivers with cheap shitty microphones for a premium

Surround Sound headsets cram a bunch of smaller, shittier drivers into the same space and charge even more for the privilege.

People aren't suggesting you get a shitty gaymen headset like Sennheiser whatever-the-fucks, they're telling you to get GOOD HEADPHONES.
>>
>>387935821
I listen to a lot of music and thus got this.
>>
>>387935821

The Game Zero or Game One are the best you can do for a headset. The headphones themselves are basically HD 558s with a mic attached. Very good quality and very comfortable.

My Game One was the same price as an HD 558 w/ Mod Mic when I got it.
>>
>>387940543
>Technical specs don't determine real life performance.
neither does your anecdotal evidence friendo
>>
Are you plugging headphones straight into your computer or using an amp?
>>
>>387940615
I had a pair of these, replaced the cups with velour ones from Beyerdynamic since earpad "leather" falls apart after a few months.
>>
>>387940615
I got these, they're eh, vocals are low.
I didn't know it doubled as a headset, as well. You get a little mic that plugs into the side.
>>
File: 2017-08-12 21.57.55.jpg (684KB, 2981x1676px) Image search: [Google]
2017-08-12 21.57.55.jpg
684KB, 2981x1676px
>>387939823
HyperX wins again baby!
>>
>>387940835
So your argument is that it doesn't matter what people can actually tell by using the headphones as long as you have technical specs that says yours is better because "muh anecdotal evidence meme"? Do you even listen to yourself?
>>
>>387940863
I plug them strait into my devices, just like I did with my Pulse Elite. Shouldn't it be an equal comparison.
>>
>>387935821
>2013+4
>buying memeheisers
Why don't you just get a pair of Beats™ by Dre you fucking pussy?
>>
>>387941038
how much pussy do you pull?
>>
>using headphones to play games
>not buying a decent 5.1/7.1 system

Doesn't even matter what headphones you buy they're all shit compared to the real deal
>>
>>387941038
I tried these before, they sounded like muffled ass
>>
>>387941091
i have these and the sound quality through the controller sounds really shit compared to when i use the xbox controller on pc or on xbox. maybe it has something to do with bluetooth vs that wifi tech they use on the xbox one
>>
>>387941758
I'm in a hotel at least half of the year. A surround sound system is useful when at home, but how does that help me the rest of the time?
>>
>>387941162
So your argument is that because you in particular can't hear a difference in *some* higher quality headphones when others can, all facts, technical specs, and everyone else's experiences are bullshit and don't count? Do you even read what you type? Why do you think your experience counts for more than mine, especially when mine is actually backed by facts?
>>
>>387935821
Wait, I was pretty sure those Sennheiser Game ONE and ZERO were not surround, no gimmicks, just focusing on raw sound performance, specially the Game ONE because it's an open cup.
What are you talking about?
>>
>>387942216
>when others can
So tell me what you thought of the Sony Pulse Elite.
>>
>>387942091
I use them with my PS4 and they are better than my shit T.V. speakers. When plugged into my PC there is a huge difference.
>>
>>387941162
Anecdotal evidence means what applies to you doesn't necessarily apply to everyone else.
Facts and spreadsheet are more reliable that whatever bullshit a random anon on /v/ decides to rant about.
>>
>>387942273
>What are you talking about?
I tried out them both and ended up buying the Game Zero. It sounded fine in the store, but it just doesn't seem to compare to my Pulse Elite's for playing games, specifically for locating things by noise.
>>
>>387942609
>Facts and spreadsheet are more reliable
>2017
I bet you frequent vgchartz on a normal basis too don't you?
>>
>>387941749
I got them for conventions. better then lugging around a cumbersome blue tooth speaker.
>>
For gaming I always recommend people get 7.1.
I don't think you actually gain any real "advantage" in games like competitive shooters, but it's more accurate which makes it more immersive.
For music obviously you'd want audiophile stuff, but games don't need that at all, not even if the music is good,the surround is so much more rewarding.
>>
So has anyone tried anything like the Siberia 800's? Have you guys even tried the Pulse Elite, since that is the headset you guys are saying are complete shit to begin with? I wouldn't mind some actual opinions, if of course you guys aren't all talk and have actually tried the headsets you claim are shit.
>>
>>387942357
Never tried it since I have no interest in them. But since you value peoples opinions so much I'll give you one. I have a friend who absolutely swore by gaming headsets and wouldn't listen to me or my other friends who both use real headphones (my other friends all switched the same way, as did I). He had been through several surround sound headsets in the $300 range and didn't have a problem with it, thinking we were just full of shit and placebo. One day I finally brought my headphones over to his house (which were half the price) and did some listening comparisons. At the end he conceded that I was right and the sound was much better. I also checked out his, willing to also concede if they did sound better (which I could believe since they were double the price), but they didn't at all. Sure they sounded ok, but the sound was a lot less clear than my much cheaper pair of headphones.

Again, if it doesn't matter to you and you value the surround sound, use them all you want.
>>
>>387942769
Weird, I was aiming for the game one because my current headphone is dying. I'll def check it in a store now...
>>
>>387943503
Okay so the lesson here is my opinion can't be valuable while yours can because while I have tried the headsets in question, you haven't? I mean fuck, how do you even consider yourself a reasonable person?

Maybe stereo headsets beat surround 9 times out of 10, and I just got a lucky set that sounds pretty good. Rather than learning the truth, you guys go on and on about how your "facts" are more important, and rather than trying a headset for yourself, everything I say HAS to be false. For fucks sake...

>>387943186
This is pretty much the point I've tried to make, which people persuaded me out of into getting the Sennheisers instead. I don't care about the overall sound quality. Hearing something better won't change how I play the game, but hearing the position a bit better does. If you are using 1 headset for multiple reasons, then the surround sound may not be the way to go, but clearly that didn't apply to me and no one could ignore that long enough to suggest something that may actually work for me.

>>387943975
Honestly, don't listen to anyone's opinion on here. If you have a chance to test any of them out, do so. If you can test them on the thing you plan on using them with, even better.
>>
File: 1360385134671.jpg (50KB, 456x628px) Image search: [Google]
1360385134671.jpg
50KB, 456x628px
>>387935821
>So what is up with people suggesting regular headphones over surround sound?

You are fucking retarded please delete this thread
>>
The 7.1 "snake oil" is complicated.

In an ideal world games should do proper sound mapping and be able to do perfect bi-aural positioning, the issue is that they don't, often there isn't even a headphone specific setup.

The 7.1 shit is a crutch to try and make up for that fact.
>>
>>387945326
Doesn't sound too complicated to me. Sounds like stereo fags ignore real life results in favor of whats on paper. Its nice to know why it doesn't work out in their favor though. You should never make a judgement call based on developers not being lazy. I mean the cell was supposed to be superior in a perfect world yet kept getting blown the fuck out by the Xbox 360.
>>
>>387944750
>Okay so the lesson here is my opinion can't be valuable while yours can because while I have tried the headsets in question, you haven't?
No you fucking idiot, I'm stooping to your level since you only value opinions and don't give any weight to facts, like i said: >But since you value peoples opinions so much I'll give you one.

>Maybe stereo headsets beat surround 9 times out of 10, and I just got a lucky set that sounds pretty good.
Yes I agree. When people recommend headphones they do so because MOST OF THE TIME they are better than any headset you will get. That doesn't mean its impossible to be the other way around. To answer your OP question specifically, people recommend headphones because headphones compared to surround sound headset in the same price range will generally sound much better. This is because the headsets typically use cheaper drivers since they require more and are marketed towards people who don't have an ear for sound quality and don't care. Therefore, since surround sound is limited use, they recommend you get more bang for your buck with stereo headphones.

And once again for the last time
USE WHATEVER YOU LIKE
>>
File: 1503328062047.jpg (148KB, 1468x1004px) Image search: [Google]
1503328062047.jpg
148KB, 1468x1004px
>>387941758
This desu.

shitty bait thread
>>
>>387944750
surround headsets are stereo too they just software. Which you can get with headphones.
>>
This thread is embarrassing. /v/ is useless for recommendations because of guys like OP and >>387943186 who don't know what the fuck they're talking about.
>>
>>387946991
>I don't care how they sound as long as i have technical specs to suck my dick

This >>387945326 anon has a better clue about what is going on than you do. Fuck off.
>>
>not buying open back sennheiser 598's for great price/performance with a modmic for VOIP if you need it
>not using a virtual 5.1/7.1 surround sound on audiophile headsets for your games and turning it off when you want.

I can bring my sennheisers to work using an aux cable and just take off my mic in a second and leave it at home plugged into my PC for when I return. Sound fidelity in games is ok but virtualized surround sound really puts you into the action and can give you near pinpoint directional data. I specifically use a soundcard that has dolby headphone which I can upscale to 7.1, but there are software and DACs that can do that too.
>>
>>387947678
Is there a solution like this that is usable for things like a PS4 too?
>>
>>387946991
It is, OP should try this on /g/ to see how it goes.
>>
>>387948010
There's a few like the Mixamp pro line of mixers that take surround audio over optical and process it for headphones.

Don't buy the garbage headsets that can come bundled with them though, you're better getting a decent pair of headphones+modmic or headset elsewhere to use with one.
>>
>>387935821
If you want surround, get a 7.1 gaming headset
if you want quality, don't
everyone should be able to make this choice without following memes
>>
>>387935821
I think I've actually seen someone on /hpg/ say good things about the pulse elite
>>
>>387949198
Yeah, I would still have them if they didn't fall to pieces. After about a year or two they start breaking at around the top of the ear piece.
>>
>>387949000
or the better version of things get a mixamp or equivalent and pair it with a good pair of real headphones.

You get the virtual 7.1 if you feed it that but then can just swap over to stereo when you want nice clean audio for things where quality is more important.
>>
>>387950072
What do you recommend for an amp?
>>
>>387943461

All I know about the 800s is the mic quality is complete shit. It stopped me buying a pair when they were on sale for £120
Thread posts: 56
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.