[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Holy Trinity Thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 185
Thread images: 47

File: holytrinity.jpg (130KB, 758x855px) Image search: [Google]
holytrinity.jpg
130KB, 758x855px
What do you main and why?

Personal question: Do you actually enjoy playing a healer/support role? Is it rewarding? Why is it more enjoyable than the other?
>>
I main healer because there is always a party spot available and no one else can ever play healer properly.

While tank hits macros and DPS smashes every key on the keyboard.
>>
I prefer classes that primarily focus on support and buffs and not healing. Too bad they're all but dead now and the majority of games just combine it into the healer class.
>>
File: 1467312266373.png (16KB, 300x310px) Image search: [Google]
1467312266373.png
16KB, 300x310px
>Legitimately like healing
>Shoehorned into "XDDD Healslut XD" stereotype
>>
>>387920681
Okay, that sounds like WoW, right?
What about other games? Do you still automatically go for the healer, or is it something you pick only out of necessity or special bonuses (like fast queue times and "because nobody else does it properly")?
>>
Tank, because literally everyone needs a solid tank. I'll admit I fuck up, but I always get things done at a perfect level, and the difference between a good tank and a great tank can be the difference in hard content and easy content.
>>
>>387920861
It's universal.
>>
File: 1411717001182.gif (152KB, 500x516px) Image search: [Google]
1411717001182.gif
152KB, 500x516px
Healer, because I like knowing I'm the most important person in the group and everyone relies on me, cherishes me and protects me.

In my dreams. It's because I'm a masochist who likes the insufferable pain I experience as a healer because everyone is so incompetent.
>>
The worst thing as a healer is when nobody is taking much damage at all. Possible because of other support characters buffing, etc.
Because you feel like you're not needed. So, you need your team to be either slightly incompetent or taking on foes much stronger than them for it to be fun.

But yes, in those situations, where you knew if you weren't there, everyone would be dead, or at the very least having to be much slower or more cautious, yeah that can be fun, certainly.
>>
Okay, you guys who responded as healer mains, but what do you do at times where nobody is online or around to kill stuff for you? Do you just run around in circles until somebody comes to your aid?
The main reason I personally have a hard time going back to healing, is that I'll only feel useful in a group. On my own I'm a nobody; even if I won't go down because I heal myself up, I also spend years attacking one enemy or can't kill it at all?
>>
>>387920861
Games that aren't WoW don't have Lifegrip, which is the only reason I main a healer at all.
>>
File: 1459114405432.jpg (103KB, 736x736px) Image search: [Google]
1459114405432.jpg
103KB, 736x736px
>>387920526
Dps is for kids and K/D autists
Healer is for girlfriends
Tanks is for master race. Specifically dive tanks so I can bully enemy snipers.

wher'e my tank bros at?
>>
>>387921513
FFXIV has lifegrip now, pretty sure SWTOR has lifegrip too.
>>
>>387920526
None of them. Tank, Healer, and DPS are gay and fucking outplayed to the point of blandness. Straight up hybrid/support characters is the way to go.

Especially love any MMO that has a Shaman/Mystic class where you basically are a buff/debuff god to ridiculous proportions, curse enemies, call on animal spirits, contact the spirit world to retrieve dead player souls or guide them to their bodies, and calling ancestral winds to signal directions.

It's like a whole other personality way out of league compared to the triad.
>>
>>387921502
Play DPS for quests, and healer for instances
>>
>>387920526
DPS with off-tanking potential and small heal spells just in case.
>>
File: download_20170718_094555.jpg (144KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
download_20170718_094555.jpg
144KB, 1920x1080px
>>387920526
back when i did play mmo games i would usually main tank and switch off with my husband for healing when either of us got tired of the role for a while. it kept things from getting stale too quickly
>>
File: blush.jpg (56KB, 680x383px) Image search: [Google]
blush.jpg
56KB, 680x383px
Healer because I like boys.
>>
>>387920526
I prefer dps with some support (not healing) stuff.
Ideal group should be like this:
Tank
Healer
DPS
DPS
Support with short time buffs from damage dealing abilities. With buffs should deal as much damage as pure dps without buffs.
>>
>Tank fucks up
>Wipe
>healer fucks up
>Wipe
>DPS fucks up
>Shit just takes slightly longer

I'd like to try tank more but you're not allowed to be a tank without knowing the content before you even attempt it. So I stick to DPS now.

healer was also fun back before WoW invented match making. When healers were a rarity
>>
>>387920526
>Try playing any MMO
>Hate it
I wanna love MMO's so badly there is so much content and so many builds wich is usually what I look for in a game. But I just cant stand playing them
>>
All roles feel the same.

If i tank i run into retard dps or heals that get the group into trouble.
If i heal i run into retard tanks and dps that get the group into trouble.
If i dps i run into retard tanks and heals that get the group into trouble.

It doesnt change from game to game and the only difference is what direction the enemy is facing and whether my 4 buttons hurt things or heal things and sometimes both.
>>
File: 1453150585621.png (75KB, 350x407px) Image search: [Google]
1453150585621.png
75KB, 350x407px
>>387921039
If you don't need to heal at that moment in time, you just contribute to DPS. It becomes hilarious if you actually manage to out-DPS an actual DPS by the end of the instance.
>>
>>387920526
Some games make healing/support roles pretty fun.

I remember being a support Ritualist or healer Rit or Monk in the OG Guild Wars was pretty damn entertaining.

>>387921882
Debuff/punishment/disruption in general is fun as hell. Interrupt/energy denial Mesmer or curses Necromancer were my jam for sure. You don't necessarily do a lot of damage or heal anyone but you can sure fuck with the ability of your enemies to do things.
>>
File: 1402180914094.jpg (419KB, 865x612px) Image search: [Google]
1402180914094.jpg
419KB, 865x612px
DPS because I play mage classes and they only get to be DPS. The most satisfying thing to me is wearing pointy hats and causing explosions.
Sometimes I heal but it's not as appealing to me. I'd probably be interested in tanking, but I'd like to see a mage tank work in some game one day.
>>
I did all but I enjoyed healer the most out of necessity because I could compensate for shitty groups in that role. Group doesn't have the damage to beat it before enrage is about the only thing I can't control as a healer but even then could save cds for that moment by being better during the normal phases and also apply small amounts of damage. I liked tank the most because I can compensate for bad healers and bad damage by being better at my rotation than other tanks and timing cds/buffs/self heals. You also aren't helpless as a tank and control the tempo of what people do and when, your word and actions are law. Overall there's just more interesting dynamics in those two roles and tanking there is so much to optimize and be the best at.
>>
File: header.jpg (109KB, 460x215px) Image search: [Google]
header.jpg
109KB, 460x215px
>>387920526
Not really MMO related, but i play Medic in SQUAD for the bullshit (eg. the converstations, the sometimes suicidal healing and reving and of course the soldier-butt touching) and beacuse you can almost never get kicked as a medic
>>
>>387922540
Earth ele tank in GW was a thing for a while. Running stone striker (all damage you take becomes earth damage) + mantra of earth (reduces earth damage you take and you get energy every time you take earth damage) plus a few of earth magic's many armor boost spells meant you took very little damage, although you'd get flattened if stuff could remove enough enchantments from you so it was a little risky.

I used to run that combo with Shockwave as my elite to fuck up enemy martial DPS, especially assassins. They'd run in thinking I'd be a nice squishy target only to find I take virtually no damage, I'm immune to critical hits (which also fucks up assassins' energy management) and that I can do shitloads of PBAoE damage that also blinds them.
>>
>>387922719
>Not really MMO related
Oh, yeah, despite the picture I posted the OP with, I actually intended for this thread to discuss ANY genre of game, as long as it contains support roles. Like MOBAs.
>>
DPS generally feels the most fulfilling to gear since every upgrade is some increase to dps while tank and healer gearing doesnt feel like you can track your direct improvement as much
>>
>>387922540
>mage tank
RIFT
>>
>there'll never be a fourth control role focusing on debuf and CC-management, breaking down defenses and immobilizing targets so dps can burn through them faster while interrupting ranged enemies and silencing enemy spellcasters that try to do the same to your party
>>
>>387922074
fag
>>
>>387920526

Healer/support only in coop centric content so i just go for tank most of the time to solo pve. Healer is probably the most fun i had in party based rpgs. It feels so satisfying outperforming pve dps
>>
>>387920526
I don't believe in maining that's why I gear all my roles equally in FFXIV. One day I feel like being a Samurai and the next day I want to be a Dark Knight.
>>
>>387923172
Please be nice. At least I'm honest about who I am.
>>
File: xL2qm3L[1].png (147KB, 435x367px) Image search: [Google]
xL2qm3L[1].png
147KB, 435x367px
>>387923245
dicksucking fruitcake

better?
>>
>>387922985
Thats what I kinda figured
>>
>>387923343
Much better, thank you.
>>
File: Tanking.jpg (135KB, 525x700px) Image search: [Google]
Tanking.jpg
135KB, 525x700px
>>387920526
I always fucking loved tanking. For many reasons, actually.
First and foremost I love being a beefy motherfucker.
Second, tanks are usually in high demand and "tanking gear" tends to have no overlap with "anything else" gear, so I get to have everything my way and eat my cake, too.
I also like analyzing boss battles, dungeons, etc, finding some neat trick, and explaining it to other people. Or just explaining the mechanics of the fight to someone who's new.
>>
>>387923013
I took a look at that. It looked like a generic non-magic tank.
Is the game dead? Whenever I went to check on it it looked dead as fuck.
>>387922830
That sounds pretty great.
>was a thing for a while
Did something change?

Sometimes I try and fuck about in TESO since everyone can wear heavy armor and register as whatever role they want, and you can now use frost staves to tank, but it's super sub-optimal with clumsy fucking taunting, none of the utility 1h/s brings, and lacking a set piece because staves are two-handed weapons. I hope they eventually get their shit together, maybe even revert frost staff to a dps weapon and introduce alteration staff instead.
>>
File: wc.jpg (56KB, 600x800px) Image search: [Google]
wc.jpg
56KB, 600x800px
>>387920526
I've always gone with some kind of support/healer, usually because it was always easiest to find a party/clan, where there were always 20 edgy dagger wielding teenagers. That being said, last time I played MMO was like 9 years ago, with Lineage 2. I can imagine now with casualisation of MMO, there are plenty of grill healers.

>pic related
My fav character in Lineage 2 Orc Shaman/Warcryer, very often I've been going with Human Cleric/Bishop
>>
File: IMG_1307.jpg (386KB, 800x913px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1307.jpg
386KB, 800x913px
>>387920526
I always liked pure buffing and then engaging in the Melee with everyone else. The kind of buffs that are broken in their own right like speeding up attack speed by a shit ton and having it last like 5 minutes on top of a bunch of other shit. Which wouldn't really be fair, but most of your own power and ability to combat comes from the buffs, so for you it's okay, but hit your teammates with that stuff and your naturally quick assassin buddy is suddenly like sanic for the next 5 minutes.

But not. One. Single heal.
>>
File: Leave_it_to_me.png (677KB, 764x1045px) Image search: [Google]
Leave_it_to_me.png
677KB, 764x1045px
>>387920526
Tank because I love taking in huge damage and dishing out even bigger damage.
But if it's needed I'll go healer instead. Playing healer is okay but not as fun as tanks.
DPS never clicked with me.
>>
>>387923067
Again, Mesmer or Necromancer in GW can fill that role. Mesmer has tons of interrupts and energy denial skills, while Necros can focus heavily on debuffs/conditions or on punishment spells that cause negative effects for their opponent whenever they perform a certain type of action, like casting spells, attacking, or even moving.

Hell you can even focus on control/interrupt as some martial classes. Rangers have quite a few interrupt skills, and a Paragon running Stunning Strike with the right build can pretty much shut a mage down completely by constantly maintaining Daze.
>>
>>387923234
why? are you autistic
>>
File: YMCfwxP[3].png (13KB, 308x364px) Image search: [Google]
YMCfwxP[3].png
13KB, 308x364px
>>387923506
good
now go on with your business of groping balls you lala homo boy
>>
>>387923938
Yessir!
>>
>>387920526
I used to be a healfag when I played MMOs. It was fun to me. It had party perks. Although the downside to those partyperks was party perks. Meaning you were always stuck in parties, no soloing.

Tank would have been my other choice. But I stuck to healer because you didn't need perfect gear. If you didn't have good gear as tank/DPS you were thrown out quickly. Healers get a pass on that shit.
>>
>>387923594
I don't know if anything changed, I haven't been on in a long time. I'm actually going to get back into it I think, that game was fun as hell and the range of builds was pretty awesome.
>>
Tank

Most tanks pull too slow or don't know how the boss fight works.
>>
Strinth > Degsderity
>>
>>
>>387921018
>healers most important meme
>they're literally just dps without the constant need to avoid drawing aggro
>never have to deal with enemy units like tanks
>always protected and never blamed if shit goes wrong

Healers are literally the affirmative action hires of videogames.
>>
File: Shrug.jpg (9KB, 512x323px) Image search: [Google]
Shrug.jpg
9KB, 512x323px
>>387923067
Not anymore or ever unfortunately.

The reason why support classes died is because MMOs have gotten to a point where it's emulating action orientated adventures running through mini dungeon instances from beginning to end, instead of camping and working your way through party strengths.

There is no point in having that class that buffs since you can get the players to do that themselves, debuffs, or crowd controls putting certain enemies to sleep, because this new generation of players HATES going at a slow pace.

Now it's all about all the classes being apart of the TRIAD with personable "playstyles".

You want to be that DPS who:
>Shoots from afar?
>Gets up close?
>Explodes many enemies at once?

You want to be that tank who:
>Has a lot of armor?
>Has maximum dodge/parry?
>Has the ability to eat direct damage?

Want to be a healer who:
>Heals over time?
>Heals directly for a lot of HP?
>Steals enemies HP and gives to party members?

Kind of shitty to be honest. Support classes are the shit.
>>
File: combat rogue.png (688KB, 636x806px) Image search: [Google]
combat rogue.png
688KB, 636x806px
>>387920526
http://www.playbuzz.com/coltondunn10/which-rpg-class-are-you
Try this.
>>
File: 1499164291227.jpg (379KB, 1111x597px) Image search: [Google]
1499164291227.jpg
379KB, 1111x597px
>>387924517
>this is what DPS players actually believe
>>
File: 1489973512099.jpg (25KB, 405x418px) Image search: [Google]
1489973512099.jpg
25KB, 405x418px
>mfw you can be all three at once
>>
>>387924545
Healers can fuck up a dungeon though. An aoe heal when your tank isn't ready is the end of your run.

There are many games where healer becomes obsolete near the end. Tanks are so beefy and DPS so strong they melt mobs and can live off consumables.

Depends on the game.
>>
>>387923912
I don't get it, what's wrong with playing more than one role?
>>
>>387924517
If the tank's threat level is 9999% why does the DPS have to watch his own threat?
>>
I hate DPS only classes. I usually Tank or Heal depending on what the group needs or how I'm feeling. Every once in a while I'll go DPS if I'm burned out on those roles.
>>
File: character-art-meme.jpg (55KB, 441x540px) Image search: [Google]
character-art-meme.jpg
55KB, 441x540px
>>387924940
>DDO

No other MMO lets you multiclass as a Fighter/Rogue/Wizard.

MMO's have no fucking freedom or trust in their players these days
>>
>>387925965
>see a DDO ad
>oh neat, looks like this game is still ali
>featuring wil wheaton
into the fucking trash
>>
healer, i just like healing i guess? when i first started playing wow in 2005 none of my friends wanted to heal so i just did it for our little group to run dungeons while leveling. got used to it i guess
>>
>>387922540
>TFW never played D&D and healer mages were common every where else
>Touch any mmo and healing is something only faith cucks can do despite the fact that mages can literally bend time
>>
>>387921645
What is this Overwatch you fag?
>>
>>387922101
>Shit just takes slightly longer

In certain MMOs (Aion comes to my mind), you have a time limit where the final boss will wipe the entire party. So, if the DPS fucks up, it can lead to wipe too
>>
>>387927954
Only really applies to high difficulty setting raiding
>>
Tank. I like being in the mosh pit and being the star. I like destroying shit, too, so I usually play the more berserker or aggressive style tank (main warrior in XIV, even after stormblood shit on us). To me it's less about traditional 'protect muh party' shit and more about tanking in such a way that I can be the wall, the self-healer and some of the damage simultaneously.
>>
What is a good co-op game with class dynamics like in the OP? Most of the well knows co-op ARPGs in the market just give you different flavors of DPS classes with no actual support class.
>>
File: damn son.jpg (103KB, 640x640px) Image search: [Google]
damn son.jpg
103KB, 640x640px
>>387920526
I legitimately liked playing Shaman in WoW
The way he depended on DoT heals instead of instants, also buffing... felt comfy man. Too bad these times won't come back
>>
>>387928772
>When you throw earth shield on someone then go take a shower but get called the best healer on the server.
>>
I like to be a tanky control class. Although certain spellcasting roles intrigue me as well.
>>
File: aint even mad.jpg (71KB, 528x396px) Image search: [Google]
aint even mad.jpg
71KB, 528x396px
>>387921018
>insufferable pain
>healer
If you think just playing as a healer and seeing people be generally stupid is suffering then you've never played another role to a halfway decent level and for your sake I implore you to keep it that way. There is literally no worse pain in an MMO than watching some fucktard play your main role when you're not playing it. I used to think Tanking was the easiest shit when I only played Tanks and I got so tired of shit-tier DPS that I decided I'd let the braindead retards stick to tanking while I did the big dick damage, and then I saw how easily the average MMO player could fuck up as a Tank and I scrambled back to it. Even now when I play the other roles to get a feel for how they play so I can better play around their strengths and weaknesses I fucking cry every time I see some retardo tank spin the boss like a merry-go-round for no reason, eat every super attack without popping a cooldown, sitting in an AoE because he thinks as MT he's the primary heal target so its fine, not pulling the boss out of ground aids so the DPS can hit positionals/never miss without eating a quarter of their health every half second in damage, do their AoE threat move on a single target or do their ST threat move on each mob one by one, or even pop their super defensive CD right off the bat for no fucking reason. Every little thing you think is super easy on your role you'll learn is actually the most difficult thing on the fucking planet and it'll make you tear your balls off in frustration.
FUCK.
>>
I appreciate healing and tanking but I enjoy the competitiveness and depth of the dps classes. There's always the challenge of trying to do the most damage in the group. If there is a heal/dps hybrid class then that's usually my go to. (Cleric, Paladin, Monk...)
>>
>>387929315
Tell me you want more from game after hard day anon
Tell me that right into my eyes
>>
File: BloodDK770.png (715KB, 770x481px) Image search: [Google]
BloodDK770.png
715KB, 770x481px
>>387920526
soloing without pet which means tanks with health leech/self-heal
>>
>>387929896
>Be healer
>Get blood tank
>Leave party

They've gotten better now but by god were they shit for a long time and mostly because no one knew how to play them
>>
File: 5436324.jpg (465KB, 1642x1654px) Image search: [Google]
5436324.jpg
465KB, 1642x1654px
Tank. It's not the funnest or most complicated role by any means but goddamn it feels amazing to be the vanguard of the party and leading them to victory, I can't get enough of it.
>>
Tank, because the mechanics are usually fun and you get your own time facing down the boss which always feels exiting. If tank mechanics are bad then a rogue archtype class
>>
File: 4.jpg (24KB, 311x333px) Image search: [Google]
4.jpg
24KB, 311x333px
>>387930441
>That moment when you sit back and just take it all in
>Everyone else is either at range or hiding behind the boss
>Meanwhile you are nose to nose with the fucking boss like he aint shit
>YOU are the main character.
>>
File: 6694699.jpg (15KB, 200x192px) Image search: [Google]
6694699.jpg
15KB, 200x192px
I do Healer/Support, because people love healers who know their shit. especially healers who are good enough to let things get risky to speed up things and still keep everyone alive. bonus points for dishing out ridiculous buffs that Amps the groups effectiveness up.

And yes, healer/support is enjoyable because it can make all the difference in a fight. it also let me learn patience when it comes to other people's behavior. Ive seen some things...
>>
I like healing because it allows me to punish stupid players.

>you stood in bad after I explicitly yelled for you to get out?
>enjoy your corpse run
>>
>>387931949
>Be paladin
>Pick up the healing when our Healer becomes a whiny cunt.
>Finish content no wipes
>>
>>387932684
>not running dungeons as a tank/healer pair and shit-talking the dps in voice chat
>>
>>387932839
I wouldn't be playing MMOs if I had friends
>>
>>387922159

yes, it's an old system, we need something better
>>
>>387920681
Any shitter can do a good enough job as a healer to keep a party alive. There is ZERO difference between having a barely decent healer vs a great healer on the time it take to clear stuff.

Now that is totally the opposite for tank and dps, great ones will speed up runs tenfold...
>>
>>387933548
The difference between a good healer and a bad healer typically comes in the form of how often they can DPS

Difference between a good DPS and a bad DPS is if they stand in the right spot

Different between a good tank and a bad tank is knowing the fight. Nothing more.

There is no skill in MMOS
>>
>>387920526
I pefer a pet based debuff/buff class and battlefield management. Necromancers, summoners and alike. So of the holy trinity I'd go for a healer.
>>
File: sigmund-freud-photo[1].jpg (52KB, 330x363px) Image search: [Google]
sigmund-freud-photo[1].jpg
52KB, 330x363px
There are two kinds of people who play healer: those who crave to serve others, and those who crave to see others dependent on them.
Which kind are you?
>>
File: IMG_1218.jpg (261KB, 752x1061px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1218.jpg
261KB, 752x1061px
>>387920526
Paladin
>Best hybrid and ethic driven class.
>Usually has best off-heals in tbe game
>Guardian was OP in GW2 just as Prot Paladin was OP in WoW
>Not wanting to smash your opponent in the face with a giant hammer.
>>
>>387932684
Finally someone who gets it.
>>
>>387935735
>Guardian was OP in GW2
Hello 2012
>>
>>387920526
I actually do main healer classes. They are always in demand, and I feel pretty chill watching life bars and trying to keep them up. It's just fun. If you are good at it, it's one of the few things people will thank you for.
>>
>>387920526
Tank, really the best way to experience any new mechanics and it's extremely casualized in most games now. Also heavy armour and the biggest weapons are always the best looking equipment.
>>
>>387936643
Guardian is currently the highest direct damage dealer in the game
>>
>>387922159
You are the only constant in your own failing pugs.
>>
>>387920526
I play healer because the point of MMOs is the social aspect. Female healers get a social monopoly on cliques and are master manipulators, going so far as to destroy entire guilds if they so desired.
>>
>>387920526

I main tank partly because I have a friend who I play MMO's together with who goes healer and partly because I just like tanking. Playing together as a tank and healer dup works out really well because you can usually tackle harder content if there's any out in the overworld and when looking for a group all you really need is dps which are easy to find. We've been doing the tank and healer duo for 7-8 years or so and it's always worked out great.
>>
>>387921039
>The worst thing as a healer is when nobody is taking much damage at all. Possible because of other support characters buffing, etc.
>Because you feel like you're not needed.

>he doesn't play a healer with extra moves to DPS with

kys
>>
>>387933548
This, its all just pressing the same sequence of buttons and moving a bit. PVP is a different story, but a raid could be done by a fucking bot.
>>
>>387921039
The best thing is to be a healer in a skilled static.
>your party members do not need you very often because they know not to take a million damage like retards do
>you are part of the static though and they won't run dungeons without you, so you can roll on loot without guilt, even if you weren't needed too much in the run
>>
>>387937706
This. Call it arrogance but if you're constantly judging everyone else to be retarded then your job is to babysit the retards and if they fuck everything up it's your fault as the responsible adult in the group. This is how it always has been and always will be. If you're not the guy babysitting the retards then you're the retard with some other guy babysitting you.
>>
>>387922101
>I'd like to try tank more but you're not allowed to be a tank without knowing the content before you even attempt it. So I stick to DPS now.
Story of my life...
>>
>>387920526
Tank because FF14's party system is 1 tank, 1 healer, 2 DPS. One of my bros really wanted to Red Mage, and the other can't be trusted to do anything but DPS. Besides it makes que times faster and the tank classes looked funner and would've been the classes I would've chosen anyway.
>>
>>387920526
need bard class
>>
>>387933548
If you've got it on farm, sure. Great healers make a huge difference over barely decent ones when you're actually doing content that you care about.

Also the difference they make in pugs is like night and day.
>>
Healer, because I found it tends to be the most 'reactive' class.
DPS? Just follow your rotation and deal with mechanics.
Tank? Just follow your rotation, adjust for big hits and deal with mechanics.
Healer? If anyone else in your party fucks up, you have to readjust your plan on the fly to save them without screwing over the tanks too badly, all without burning too much mana and still being prepared for upcoming mechanics.

I expect Tank/DPS roles got slightly more interesting in endgame raids, but I never managed to stick with an MMO long enough to play with competent parties.
>>
>>387924625
Cool salt. Nice deflection, too.
>>
each part of the "trinity" has different mechanics. each is neccasary. i know that the damage and aggro wont be properly applied if people arent getting healed. you're helping the team move forward and you all get there together. also, healing requires reaction to events as opposed to dps that has to blow their wrists out slamming as many combos as they can every possible second to eek out as much dps as they can or else they're baaaaad
>>
>>387938842
this. support roles give game depth.
>>
>>387923067
>we'll never get an mmo based on dnd 4e roles
>>
>>387939882
We did, it was called DnD 4e.
>>
>>387939958
I could never convince any of the 3.5 diehards to even consider maybe thinking about considering reading the player's handbook so one of those 'm's certainly doesn't apply.
>>
>>387939618
You tend to find that tanks and Melee DPS have to manage positioning and the DPS especially have to suffer their survivability. At least a fuck-ton more than healers and Ranged DPS
Tanks kite the boss to minimise damage to the group and try to keep the hazards in the area as low as possible for the Melee DPS and themselves to lessen the burden on healers.

A person that's good at their role will always find their class to be more reactive.
>>
>>387940202
That's where the O comes in.

But yes, online games suck. I also wish I managed to convince my group to give 4e a chance.
>>
Healer/support due to a combination of not liking tanking, not liking rotation based dps, most people sucking at the roles, and actual enjoyment of said roles.

>>387920835
I hate this shit.
Especially since most MMOs don't have nice gear options for male healers.

>>387921039
That's what dps options are for.
>>
File: 1497330024388.jpg (169KB, 758x840px) Image search: [Google]
1497330024388.jpg
169KB, 758x840px
>>387920526
Posting this every thread
>>
>>387923067
This is basically the tank's role in pvp.
>>
File: 1447369647052.png (67KB, 200x318px) Image search: [Google]
1447369647052.png
67KB, 200x318px
>>387940620
>that dps
>>
>>387933901
>There is no skill in MMOS
>just described the skills in simple terms it takes

If it was true that MMOs were skillless, everyone would be great at them, and that's demonstrably not true at all.
>>
File: 1503198665095.png (112KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
1503198665095.png
112KB, 500x500px
>>387920526
>healer
>using the caduceus - a symbol of commerce - instead of the Rod of Asclepius
>>
>>387941172
>wanting to be healed by snakefuckers instead of alchemists
>>
>>387933548
The difference between a good and bad healer is how active they can keep.
Whether it's helping with a mechanic, dpsing, or healing, a healer should always be active.

>>387933901
There are a lot of factors in a healers ability to dps.
As "skilled" as I consider myself, if the tank is poorly geared or sucks at managing cooldowns, I can't dps much.
>>
Who /tankslut/ here?
>>
>>387942054
Doesn't exist
>>
>>387920526
Tank and raid lead.

With regards to healer, it's actually fair fun to heal and raid lead. That said, I don't really like being a healer.

Tanking is fun as you can call the shots in most cases, and it's nice to play a critical role.
>>
>>387920526
I love both Tank and Healer roles because they usually have the most fun mechanics and interactions
>>
>>387942138
Wrong
>>
File: world-warcraft-troll-shaman[1].jpg (196KB, 1680x1050px) Image search: [Google]
world-warcraft-troll-shaman[1].jpg
196KB, 1680x1050px
>>387920526
Healer is the best if you wanna get into guild
>there's very few tank spots per raid, and you have to be geared up your eyeballs
>that means tank's are guildmasters or their friends
>also their are enslaved to the guild, having 100% attendance mandatory
>DPS are dime a dozen, horrendous queue times, rat race between disposable players, flavor of the month galore
>there are more healer spots per raid than there's players willing to do the job
>whack-a-mole is more engaging than DPS and tank rotations
>you can leave DPS to die if they annoy you
>>
Tank, unless theres a good vampiric dps option
I just like having lots of health
>>
>>387942864
>leaving team mates to die cause baby can't get along
You have a severe lack of control in your life.
>>
>>387943239
>not queuing with 3 friends and griefing the random noob mercilessly

You probably don't gank people either, goody two shoes
>>
>>387941508
They both have snakes on them.
>>
>>387920526
>What do you main and why?
Jack of all trades.
Because the guy who has a good-enough answer for everything is much better than the guy who has an overkill answer for one thing.
>>
Tank, they have the coolest armor and in almost any MMO are the best for soloing
>>
File: eowsb.png (2MB, 1117x1432px) Image search: [Google]
eowsb.png
2MB, 1117x1432px
>>387920526
Healer. It turns me on when the group gives me special treatment and when the tank yells at me.
>>
File: Adachi chair.jpg (346KB, 800x954px) Image search: [Google]
Adachi chair.jpg
346KB, 800x954px
>>387920526
I prefer Tank 'cause it makes me feel important and I'm cool with playing Healer 'cause I know I'm needed.
DPS is just waiting around for ages while knowing how utterly expendable you are.
>>
>>387944627
In my guild healers bullied the warrior tank into quitting the game. Not a big loss, DK and Paladin were much better than him
>>
>>387944627
Source.
>>
File: 1503427704661.jpg (248KB, 758x855px) Image search: [Google]
1503427704661.jpg
248KB, 758x855px
Fixed.
>>
>>387944627
It's really disappointing that people are like this.
>>
>>387938842
>>387945002
>>
>>387945002
The only thing bards can tank is shoving their lute up their asses.
>>
DPS main here, they usually have the most varied playstyles and are more fun to play
>>
File: e09.png (502KB, 600x384px) Image search: [Google]
e09.png
502KB, 600x384px
>>387946881
And we are good at it.
In all seriousness I love being the jack of all trades support class, doing buffs/debuffs healing and confusing/manipulate enemies. If there is music or at least musical insturment themed weapons in the process, better.
>>
>>387940620
>Tfw I know what hentai comic that girl is from

I can't do this anymore...
>>
>>387948274
Stop posting.
>>
File: Vlcsnap-2014-04-24-11h41m43s47.png (240KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
Vlcsnap-2014-04-24-11h41m43s47.png
240KB, 640x480px
>>387920526
>Trying healer for once
>DPS speeds through monster killing so fast they don't even have time to do any damage to party
>Useless entire time
>>
>>387948274
If you don't know where all of them are from, you haven't been here long enough.
>>
DPS. I'm an easy going kinda guy so I prefer to hang back in the back lines and do damage from afar. Alternatively I like supports that focus on debuffs and DoT's.
>>
>>387920526
Crowd Control is the best. Dishing out stuns, roots drags, knockbacks.

Anybody can DPS, anybody who can healslut, anybody can press taunt every 3 seconds.
>>
>>387921018
>>387920835
Literally just heal tank.

If DPS draw agro that is between them and the tank and almost always the DPS's fault for using a taunt ability. PVP is different, you just deny kills to the enemy.
>>
>>387920526

Well from Vanilla WoW to Wotlk I was (warlock then death knight) dps then I quit the game for a while came back mid cataclysm.

I don't know if my time away from the game change me, just got older, or maybe it was how damage numbers became so extravagant hitting for 600 damage and critting for 1500 feels a lot different than hitting for 300,000 and critting for 500,000. Plus I got tired of obsessing over the damage meters when raiding.

So I switch to tank and really enjoyed it,but sadly I just couldn't get interested in WoW Legion(especially after being burned by WoD) I tried it out for a month and the questing was so boring I wanted to rip my eyes out...and it is required to do ALL the questing just to fly around the broken isle fuck that shit.
>>
>>387922159
DPS can only really fuck up by either dying or pulling enemies they weren't supposed to pull. (tank usually responsible for pulls)
>>
>>387922540
Mage gets roots and stuns
>>
>>387920526
DPS because they always have cooler abilities and it's relaxing when i know that the group won't wipe if i mess up a single time
>>
>>387924517
nice bait
>>
>>387928342
Proper tank even when you're just a threat holder is about dragging and holding all the enemies into where their area effect shit is worthless and your team is awesome.
>>
>>387928608
MOBA/ASSFAGGOTS tend to do it just as well as MMOs.

All with the bonus of being PvP so it isn't just bots and taunt management. PVP taunts tend to be a an input block that forces basic attacks on the taunter.
>>
Childhood is idolizing DPS, adulthood is realizing tanking makes more sense
this is what PVE carebears actually believe
>>
>>387920526
I enjoy healing, but only if it's a game/class where I have to actively work to protect/buff my allies. Too many MMOs are just about spamming heals and dodging AOEs.
>>
>>387938724
>not tanking anyways
>implying "learning content" is hard
>>
>>387943239
>not letting suicidal DPS face their mistakes
Healer focuses tank because failed tank = wipe. Lose of one of three DPS isn't very important.

Let the DPS die and sit there and then everyone sees their empty health bar after the fight and knows they can't handle themselves.

You are publicly shaming a DPS by letting them die.
>>
>>387948579
play something more difficult.

Play a dungeon where providing a rez midfight is valid.
>>
>>387950838
PvP tanks use stuns, roots and taunts to force agro.
>>
File: bane-wallpaper.jpg (2MB, 1900x1201px) Image search: [Google]
bane-wallpaper.jpg
2MB, 1900x1201px
>>387920526
>liking any of the 3
Disabling is my thing. Fuck the tirinity.
>>
File: isleep.jpg (75KB, 960x539px) Image search: [Google]
isleep.jpg
75KB, 960x539px
>>387920526
I like playing tank because i enjoy protecting the healer and like being in the front and it's comfy
>>
>>387920526
I wish more mmos would have pure buff/debuff classes. Sure maybe give them a standard DoT and HoT but otherwise binds silences paralyzes etc
>>
>>387952714
Crowd control
Damage amplification/reduction
>>
The only time I've had fun playing support was when I played Paladins
>>
>>387942198
in my experience it's better to play a low-effort but high dps ranged class while raidleading, the amount of control you give up is easily gained in total awareness
>>
File: 1424653415.png (405KB, 474x453px) Image search: [Google]
1424653415.png
405KB, 474x453px
>>387920526
Healer in Tera-esque action combat, DPS in tab-targeting. There's something really satisfying about maxing out a brand new toon in 2 or 3 hours spamming dungeons and doling out multi-target focus heals bound to my scroll wheel in less than a second, but something about healing and tanking in any other combat system just doesn't click with me much as I want to be useful.
>>
File: 1499360358412.jpg (28KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
1499360358412.jpg
28KB, 600x600px
>main beast mastery hunter
>literally just stand in the back and press 2-3 buttons
>always top 3 dps
dps in WoW is a fucking joke now but im still enjoying this shit
>>
Only MMO I enjoyed playing support in was Rift, but you essentially play some combo of dps/heal with the flexibility to do both somewhat well depending on the situation.
>>
>>387920526
Prefer tanking but most DPS are so amazingly bad at their job I usual end up as a DPS instead.
>>
>>387954250
I wish I could go back, honestly, but Legion is too rng-based. Legendaries, warforging, keystones, might as well be playing D3.
>>
File: currentmood.png (322KB, 591x716px) Image search: [Google]
currentmood.png
322KB, 591x716px
>>387920526
I enjoy playing healer in games that permit it but my friends dont appreciate me keeping them alive.
Like when we would play Warframe I used Trinity Prime and would EV so they would be at max energy
As soon as I saw someone without a shield (excluding my friend that played Inaros) or at low health I would hit 4 a few times and heal everyone and give them damage immunity for some time
Then of course at the end when we start talking about shit we did that helped us win (like "man good thing I could use that Frost shield and slow everyone down) I would point out my healing and energy vampire and everybody says they didnt notice it or that they didnt need it
>>
>>387920526
I've never really played a tank role before, so I decided to start a tank warrior in WoW and while it's a bunch of fun a lot of the times, it really bugs me to see DPS just run off and pull a bunch of enemies at the start of a dungeon when I would like to see how well the group works so I know what sort of rate of enemies I can pull, or pull bosses while I'm waiting for other party members to catch up which is usually at most like 5 seconds, I once had a healer just pull a boss under these circumstances, so I just let the boss kill them and then everyone just killed the boss and they got super butthurt. I know the game is incredibly easy while levelling these days and I haven't had any wipes from people doing either of these things, and are usually doing it just to speed through another run of a boring dungeon, but I would at least like to see some challenge to the pre-endgame dungeons so people aren't just running off all the time and stick together a little bit.
>>
>>387920526
I like playing healer because it's almost impossible to force a "rotation" into it and I find rotations super boring. When played right a healer pretty much directs the flow of the dungeon. Do well and we can pull more with fewer breaks, etc. I like it socially too because I can kind of be the intermediary in any group drama (in games that aren't shit and don't have a dungeon finder) or be a dick to someone who isn't pulling their weight. Healsluts are cancerous.
>>
>>387920526
Healer main in FF14 because dungeon queue times are abyssmal as a DPS and end-level raids are always looking for healers.

Healer main in Overwatch because nobody will judge a mercy that can't aim.

I don't have much of a problem with the trinity, but I wish that utility was considered to be a part of support. Pyro & Engineer were my favorite classes because their utility came form fucking with the enemy.
>>
I usually prefer either healer or tank. DPS can be fun occasionally but the fact that the main thing to it is trying to optimize your damage as much as possible just doesn't engage me. I like having something else to worry about along with damage, like keeping aggro/managing defensive abilities as a tank, or keeping retards alive as a healer.
>>
>>387920526
dps, I always pick the class I think is coolest and wont settle until I top charts with it
Thread posts: 185
Thread images: 47

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.