[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why don't games have cheat codes anymore?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

File: ubkngrbgbh8phpsy3rtf.jpg (104KB, 1024x576px) Image search: [Google]
ubkngrbgbh8phpsy3rtf.jpg
104KB, 1024x576px
Why don't games have cheat codes anymore?
>>
They do, they're just called pre-order bonuses.
>>
Cheat codes give you advantage. At this point Developers want that this advantage would rather come from items they could sell as DLC
>>
>>387904119
They still exist. You just have to pay for them now.
>>
theyre locked in amiibos
>>
File: 1281146141043.jpg (116KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
1281146141043.jpg
116KB, 1024x768px
>>387904119
Because you can sell them as DLC
>>
>>387904119
it's called the easy difficulty option
>>
>>387904119
They are too easy already.
>>
>>387904119
Because videogame magazines don't sell anymore
>>
>>387904338
it's called the normal difficulty option
>>
>>387904170
Don't know what are you pre-ordering but I never got anything that wasn't either purely cosmetic or outclassed by freely available gear like 15 minutes in game.
>>
>>387904376
This. Cheat codes only existed so developers could test their impossible to beat games. Developers dont need them now, so they dont make them at all.
>>
>>387904274
This and games nowadays are way easier than they used to be.
>>
>>387904119
Konami code works in MGR.
>>
>>387904119
Some games allow you to turn on cheats when you finish them.
Like some Silent Hill games have Hyperblaster as a reward.
>>
>>387904119
Actual answer:

1. Because studios actually have separate debug builds from release builds now.

2. Debug console eliminates the need for button input cheats.

3. You can just compile a debug build for testers instead of having to code button input cheats.
>>
>>387904967
But what about simpler, fun cheats, like bighead mode? I miss bighead mode
>>
>>387904967
NO ITS BCUZ MODREN VIDYA GAEMS SUKK !!
>>
>>387905370

Ah yeah. Those probably died out because of the modern development culture of some triple-A games.

For some companies for instance, no manpower hour is usually allocated to that shit anymore, and if you want to do it yourself, you'd likely have to defend how it adds "value" to your game, since you're spending time coding/designing something that won't bring extra cash. They could probably get sold as DLC though or marketed as free DLC, which leads me to my 2nd point.

I think there are still companies out there that let their devs allocate manpower hour for "fun" stuff post-launch, but it's rarely ever a secret now and marketing tends to hype up that kind of shit for good boy points with the consumerbase.

Finally, concepts like realism, cohesion and immersion etc. are front and center right now, and less of the wacky, cartoony stuff, which might also help explain why we get less of that shit.

The reason will definitely vary per game though.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.