[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Paid mods are good thing. Prove me wrong.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 11

File: 18j1dn2nc7nbojpg.jpg (15KB, 320x180px) Image search: [Google]
18j1dn2nc7nbojpg.jpg
15KB, 320x180px
I had never understood the backslash against paid mods. Ofc I am not talking about horse balls or tits armor but there are many high quality mods, well deserved the payment. It's a free market at the end, you'll pay what you want and modders will provide what they want free. But also it's a great motivation for people to become modders, try avant-garde stuff e.g. experimental A.I. mods, get paid and mod more. Also saying mods should be free because it is the things are and it works fine is not a sound argument.
>>
>>387884261
Paid mods had be structure as take free stuff from community and sell it.

Yes paid mods as dlc,microtransations,pre orders or kickstarter good in theory in practice ...
>>
>>387884261
Really depends. If Bethesda takes thier time and hand selected modders then officially supports those mods. Then yes it will be good.

I think most people are worried its going to be a cash grab though. I have 180 mods on my skyrim right now. If i have to spend money on mods and its still a buggy mess that takes hours to fix Im going to be pissed. If we get Dlc quality mods that are easliy installed and run smooth I would happly pay for that.
>>
File: Skeever Bait.png (158KB, 625x626px) Image search: [Google]
Skeever Bait.png
158KB, 625x626px
>>387884261
>it's a free market
>where you don't actually have access to anything on the engine outside of what limited creation kit they provided for you
>where you don't actually have other options except to just not get it at all because the niche is, well, niche and they've ridden said niche into the drain from riding the high on morrowind
>where the community mods are what sustain the game into popularity, that you could already donate for
>where "that's the way things are" not being a "sound argument" in a mother fucking free market
>>
Funding to art and culture is always a good thing, but unless you have a system to stop exploitation of the content producers it's horrible. All you'll get is those who are the best at being bastards selling the hard work of others and giving nothing back which is a sure fire way to spiral into a wasteland of low quality derivative works.
>>
They're worth what they're worth.
If people are willing to pay for mods then modes can charge for their mods. But people aren't willing to pay for mods so they're worth shit. As a cheap bastard myself I hope people don't begin to agree with you op
It's a free market though
>>
Reminder that the maker of the only popular Doom mod has a Patreon.
Enjoy paying for a random mod, a wad and GZDoom, only for finding out that GZDoom broke that certain mod, because of Graz Zahl.
>>
There's nothing inherently wrong with paid mods as a thing, but it has to be curated due to thievery and mod incompatibility/support and you can't have Bethesda and fucking Valve taking most of the cut.
>>
>>387884261
Big problem is dependencies. Imagine SkyUI and SKSE becoming paid mods, so now you have to purchase a mod that allows you to use another mod which may also use resources from a third mod that needs a fourth mod to launch.
Everything would have to be its own isolated instance to compensate or otherwise wind up becoming a fractured mess. Overhaul mods and the "high quality mods" you mention would no longer exist, being replaced by hundreds of basic cashgrab reskins flooding what has now become a marketplace instead of a modding scene.
>>
>>387884261
People are against it because of how huge a cut Valve and the developer would take and how unscrupulous developers could take advantage of it.

Take Bethesda for example, notorious for releasing games that are buggy and missing features. Well with paid mods, they could release an unfinished game and let the modders fix it and add things while sitting back and taking a huge cut of the profits. You may say "just don't buy the game then" but people will and they'll buy the mods that make the game into what should've have been there from day 1.

Its like day 1 dlc but the developer doesn't even have to make the content themselves.
>>
File: download (8).jpg (6KB, 194x260px) Image search: [Google]
download (8).jpg
6KB, 194x260px
>>387889740
>Bethesta has modders convention
>Shortly after skse and skyui for SE get delayed
>bethesta announces creation club

Post your face when skse SE $9.99 and Ski ui SE 5.99 on creation club.
>>
File: 1501581419874.jpg (5KB, 201x200px) Image search: [Google]
1501581419874.jpg
5KB, 201x200px
>>387887716
>Video game mods
>Art and culture
>>
>>387884261
They aren't free.
>>
>>387890190
Paid skse would never happen because the mods they are selling would have to be super easy to use and install. Your average user would just look at the mods and think "wait I have to buy some other thing that does something to be able to buy this other mod? nah I'll just go play something else"
>>
>>387890279
sorry grandpa picture frames and stills aren't the only form of art anymore
>>
File: 43534534.png (232KB, 1052x736px) Image search: [Google]
43534534.png
232KB, 1052x736px
>>387889345
Fucking Graf Zahl
>>
File: chrome (44).jpg (24KB, 391x257px) Image search: [Google]
chrome (44).jpg
24KB, 391x257px
>>387884261
People's defense is just that game development is about love and that mod devs don't need to be paid and that the world moves on sunshine and rainbows.
Sure there are mods that do things for free same like volunteers, however they have this weird expectation that all mod devs should do this. The world isn't a free place, sure doing things for free shows love to it, but trying to make a living doesn't mean the love isn't there too.
>>
At the end of the day it's about Bethesda profiting of half-assing their games so that the fans can make content to make it feel a bit less half-assed

Support paid mods and you support games being released increasingly more hollow and shit to support the "mods will fix it!" philosophy
>>
File: 1485245406268.png (174KB, 1040x3205px) Image search: [Google]
1485245406268.png
174KB, 1040x3205px
>>
>>387891014
>implying modding itself doesn't already do this
Modding is cancer
>>
>>387891803
>5 todd coins have been deposited into your account
>>
>>387891913
More than modders will ever get, lmao.
>>
>>387891979
I mod the original Doom and I'm not in it for the money, I just want to make fun shit I want to play, and for others to play.
Modding for money is dumb.
>>
Demanding money for something people are used to get for free never works. Thus the only way to make paid mods work is to allow customers to get something of value that they wouldn't have gotten previously just by downloading free mods.
>>
>>387892382
>what is water?
>what is food when the land was declared the resident's lord property and nobody but them was allowed to hunt?
>what is, fuck, what is DAMN NEAR EVERYTHING at this point

History proves you wrong time and time again
>>
File: 1298976074732.jpg (50KB, 345x300px) Image search: [Google]
1298976074732.jpg
50KB, 345x300px
>>387892612
>necessities vs luxury goods
>>
>>387892612
>what is water?
Yeah sure, I can just head over to the nearest lake to get my water for free. You know why I don't? Because I can pay a tiny sum for the convenience of not having to carry a water tank back and forth for hours every day, i.e. I get something of extra value by paying for water.
>what is food when the land was declared the resident's lord property and nobody but them was allowed to hunt?
Okay sorry, I should have specified I was talking in the context of a modern free market economy, not feudalism.
>>
>>387892919
>Yeah sure, I can just head over to the nearest lake to get my water for free.
You can't though. It's illegal. That water doesn't belong to you, and does not belong to nobody either.
Same with wood, you can't just go to the nearest forest and start chopping, the trees do not belong to you, and neither do they belong to everyone.
They ALL belong to the current lord, and in turn they belong to the vassal that controls the lord and in turn they belong to the king that control the vassal.
The fact you substituted lord, vassal and king for mayor, president and whatever is inbetween makes no difference. You still have to get explicit permission from them in order to be allowed to obtain some of such resources behind a form of payment, wether it's regular taxes that you already pay or additional fees you pay for being conceded the privilege.
>>
>>387893232
That's not in the context of the free market.
>>
>>387893347
That's not the point. The point is that they can make what was once free a "premium item" that cost extra, and you'll begrudgingly accept it in the end.
>>
>>387884261
>It's a free market at the end, you'll pay what you want and modders will provide what they want free.

it's not. You're lying at the benevolence of the Dev's / Pubs not to screw you over
>>
>>387884261
I agree, Isle of Mara was a very high quality mod.
>>
File: 1468406391975.jpg (50KB, 533x300px) Image search: [Google]
1468406391975.jpg
50KB, 533x300px
They could have just taken the most popular mods, packed them up into a 'Community DLC' pack, and offered it for whatever, say $9.99
Modders get 80/90% of the money. That way people can still give something to the modders, modders are still incentives to make good mods and the people that want it for free can still just go to the slight hassle of installing the packs individually as per usual.
>>
>>387884261
lots of modders are just hobbyists with no business sense. they are going to be preyed upon, exploited, scammed, and driven out of the market if the modding scene becomes too lucrative, leaving only the people who don't give a shit about the games and are only in it for a quick buck
>>
>>387884261

Since when did trying to monetize something make the field more creative?
>>
>>387889976
Literally this. It's paid DLC glitch fixes.
>>
>>387884261
What a corporate cuck you are. Paid mods are called DLCs you cocksucker. Mods are exactly born as a fanmade content created out of passion, it's a community made of sharing and love for the game.

You wanna maked me pay for a mod? Good, Bethesda buys the mod, works on it to optimize it and then sells it to me as DLC. But if they just take a mod, slap in the store and take half of the profit without doing anything then that's just disgusting. You brainwashed fucktards will try to make me pay even to breath.
>>
File: it you.jpg (43KB, 570x587px) Image search: [Google]
it you.jpg
43KB, 570x587px
>>387884261
Mods are based on community collaboration, people make free tools, converters, exporters/importers and all sorts of software based on the notion that you're gonna be using it to make shit for free.
When you start using software somebody made for community collaboration and use it to make money, that shit's scummy.

t. retard who's never been around mod tools
>>
>>387890885
It actually does. Take your favorite hobby and then go maje money with and build your life on it. Go do it, i swear. It will be goooood.
>>
Oh I don't mind the concept of paid mods, I mind that Valve is just trying to make it happen so they can get 30% of all mods sales and makes a shitload of money while doing absolutely nothing, again.
>>
I fully support the Bethesda Create Club. Only idiots would not.
>>
Mods are more of a hobby, made for free because they love making mods.
>>
>>387884261
>great motivation for people to become modders
no thanks I prefer modders who knows modding over retards looking fir a quick buck, if you think your mod deserve money then put in donate button
>>
File: 1503020381256.jpg (38KB, 480x480px) Image search: [Google]
1503020381256.jpg
38KB, 480x480px
>>387884261
Stop
Nobody is going to make enough money to quit their day job and spend more time on the mod

You bring money into it, and you're just doing to complicate and divide communities of hobbyists that just want to make something that they and others can enjoy
Thread posts: 44
Thread images: 11

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.