[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What happened to Fantasy RPGs?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

You'd think that with the success of Skyrim and GoT there'd be all over the place but the only decent recent release has been TW3.
>>
Fantasy is notoriously difficult to do well without falling into the trap of making something eerily similar to previous popular works. It's even less forgiving than science fiction in this regard.
>>
>>387852229
Good rpgs require a ton of writing and design, you can't just pump them out in one year.

So, you'd think a giant multinational corporation like EA, Activision, or Ubisoft would be on these trends. Nope, they're retarded, greedy and lazy.
>>
Fucking good GoT RPG when?
It doesn't have to stick to any script to account for the books/show storylines. Just take the Ice and Fire universe and go buckwild making a game.

The first game was supposedly very poorly made, and the next best thing is a fucking Telltale series (which I admit I did enjoy)
>>
>>387852979
Warband Mod.
>>
>>387852678
ubisoft is too busy shitting out asshitty creed games every 6 months or so
>>
>>387852979
>Telltale series (which I admit I did enjoy)

It was pretty fucking bad mate, there's a reason they haven't made a sequel after all this time. ASoIaF would work well as an MMO but that genre is cursed.
>>
What games let me lose all narrative focus toward the end game and have asspulls out of fucking nowhere?

hard mode no Dark Souls
>>
File: 1499475597616.jpg (299KB, 890x737px) Image search: [Google]
1499475597616.jpg
299KB, 890x737px
>>387852229
fuck fantasy

when are we going to get more authentic medieval RPGs with historically accurate combat?
>>
>>387852229
Recently was worldbuilding wave now everyone is riding the dick of survival/arena competitive games
>>
>>387852229
Good rpgs take effort. Why do that when you can just pump out flavor of the month crap that's not even finished for a quick easy profit.
>>
>>387852229
I'm interested to see what the new Atlus IP will be. I'm also hopeful for something else from the guys who made I Am Setsuna last year. But those would both be JRPGs, not sure about western
>>
>>387852678

They've tried and failed.

EA with Fagon Age: Bitchquisition, Activision just sucks off WoW's tit, Ubisoft shitting out another Heroes of Might and Magic
>>
>>387855105
Depends, is "historically accurate combat" code for clunky, simulation shit? Or do you just want better weapon variety?
>>
>>387855774
Those games are High Fantasy which is DBZ tier, that's why they aren't selling well.
>>
>>387852979
It will happen at some point.
>>
GoT killed fantasy, it's only appropriate it die out in every genre.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.