[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/v/, do you think videogames make you enjoy other hobbies less?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 4

File: 1501145075546.jpg (6KB, 240x209px) Image search: [Google]
1501145075546.jpg
6KB, 240x209px
/v/, do you think videogames make you enjoy other hobbies less?

Vidya is pretty fucking great if you look at it as a whole, you can find games as simple or as complex as you want, from so many genres that just about anyone can find something they can enjoy.

But from personal experience most other hobbies can't seem to compete. They can't hook you as easily even if you keep at them for a long time. Some hobbies might produce something more tangible, but the value of that is subjective. No new games seem to be fun anymore and no other hobbies can hold my attention, send help.
>>
They don't make other hobbies less fun, but I'd rather play a game than do those hobbies despite enjoying them.
>>
Dunno m8, I find it easier to get lost in a good book. Videogames are more about mindlessly wasting time and distracting yourself from suicidal mood.
>>
Videogames make other hobbies seem alot better because more often than not your accoplishing something in real life when you do them. I dont think consumption of media is really a hobby anyway.
>>
other hobbies made me enjoy video games less actually. i was interested by like 3 games at e3, and the only one i remember is The Last Night. it sucks because i really really love this medium but i hate how little people do with it
>>
>>387804151
>I dont think consumption of media is really a hobby anyway.

Then surely reading isnt a hobby?
>>
File: 442.png (94KB, 475x539px) Image search: [Google]
442.png
94KB, 475x539px
vidya cant really compete with creating something yourself. I see it more like a timekiller at this point.
>>
File: 1496527749800.jpg (272KB, 449x449px) Image search: [Google]
1496527749800.jpg
272KB, 449x449px
>>387804362
Same.

I'm getting more enjoyment out of working on 3d modeling and animating than I do with most video games now. A game has to either have had my attention for a long while, or has to have mechanics in it that continue to be fun.

Otherwise, drawing/3d/animating is a nice hobby, and I have something to show for it at the end, instead of just a few more hours tacked onto my steam hour count and another achievement on the page.
>>
I think so. But if you really push yourself to pursue hobbies where you aren't connected to a screen, I think you'll find the results of said hobby much more rewarding than a game.
>>
>>387803990

This is what I've been feeling, but I just don't have the motivation to do something else other than vegetate after work.
>>
>>387804151
>>387804362
>>387805457
>>387805581
>>387805686
t. brainwashed drones
BUT M-MUH PRODUCTION
>>
Consuming media isnt a hobby. Writing is a hobby, making music is a hobby, etc etc

Basically a hobby is something you have to make. /lit/fags need to get out of their high horses
>>
>>387805836

I understand what you're getting at, but what happens if you don't enjoy games anymore, and you have these ideas in your head you'd want to explore, but you simply can't enjoy or at least keep at whatever activities they involve?
>>
I just went camping with no games and realized it fucking sucks. I think as you get older certain things become more fun than games. I stopped for awhile in my teens because I became way more interested in fucking girls, for instance.
>>
File: 441.png (56KB, 300x354px) Image search: [Google]
441.png
56KB, 300x354px
>>387805836
>preferring to create but still enjoying vidya to kill time = brainwashed
>>
>>387805836
Enjoy turning 30 with nothing to show for it.

You can still create and enjoy games, but at that point you might as well learn how to create something you want to play, then at least have something that is your own.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.