[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

MorningWood

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 80
Thread images: 9

File: darkwood.jpg (165KB, 1440x810px) Image search: [Google]
darkwood.jpg
165KB, 1440x810px
So apparently final version of Darkwood was released a few days ago. Is it any good?

I like horror games, but dislike the "tower defence" gameplay which so many similar indi games feature. Does darkwood have this crap or can you just freely explore and progress whithout doing any boring crap?
>>
Quite good. Really terryfing atmosphere
>>
bump for intresting
>>
If you like RNG shit you might like it. I found the uncertainty a bit too nerve racking
>>
It is a seriously good game dude. I can't really think of another game to compare it to, except maybe Zomboid.
>>
How long is the game approximately?
>>
File: BOOOOOYY.jpg (6KB, 250x240px) Image search: [Google]
BOOOOOYY.jpg
6KB, 250x240px
>this entire thread
>>
>>387794845
What the fuck did you mean by "tower defence gameplay"?
>>
Man, this game is sooooo good!!! I bought it earlier in Steam and, woah, what a blast! Really, my GOTY of the year! Tbh baka senpai
>>
take it from someone with 50+ hours on record. its pretty great if you like surreal horror that might make you go 'euuh'. it doesn't hold your hand that much so go in expecting to get stuffed.
>>
>>387794845
Nights are fucking scary. Also game is hard unless you are playing on normal which you shouldn't. Play on hard it gives you 4 lives. You can pirate it if you are unsure about purchase.
>>
Omg you fucking shills stop fucking discussing a game I didn't like. Youre all fucking shills
>>
Just finished the prolouge. I shit myself at "Come closer..."
>>
>>387798661
>What the fuck did you mean by "tower defence gameplay"?
Google it lazy fegget.
Basically games where you have to collect resources and fortify your base to survive enemy attack waves. Then reapeat.
>>
>>387794845
No, you don't build fancy towers and traps. You hole yourself up in a corner of the room and hope to god that whatever outside doesn't notice you.

>>387797292
There's no RNG except for locations, resource placements and enemy spawn.

>>387798372
Probably about 10 hours for your first run, maybe 2-3 hours if you know how to speed run?
>>
>>387800029
Also known as: base building.
>>
I read on steamforums that the game is still very buggy and can corrupt your savegame. And since there is basically one save, you're fucked. Better wait for few more patches i guess
>>
>>387800029
Your "defense" in this game consists on turning on the lights, barricading the doors/windows and asking all the horrible things outside really politely to stay away.
>>
>>387800082
>No, you don't build fancy towers and traps. You hole yourself up in a corner of the room and hope to god that whatever outside doesn't notice you.
Do yo have to do it often? Is it mandatory?
Can't you just follow the story and progress without staying in one place?
>>
>>387794845
So far it seems good, but it feels like a game that is going to stop being fun once people figure out all the mechanics.
So far I have only two problems with the game. You can get stuck on objects, there was this one narrow hallway with a cupboard. I tried to pull it out so I could get past it, but got stuck in a position where I couldn't move it forwards or backwards. I had to shimmy the cupboard for a minute to get trough when you could easily just squeeze past it.
Another problem is that there doesn't seem to be a way to tell time, at least not from I've seen. You only know that it's getting dark when the lighting goes orange. I'd rather just have a clock, or some button that allows your character to look up and guess what time it is.
>>
>>387800298
You do it every night and the game forces you to move on by slowly dwindling resources. If you know enough about the game, you can skip the first hideout and go straight into the next hideout and moveup a tier.

>>387800383
You get a watch later as loot or you can buy them from vendors.
>>
I played it a couple years ago. Is it significantly better since then?
>>
>tfw nighttime
>tfw focus is always gasoline so i can power the lamps
>>
Protip:
Enable Vsync if you dont want to fry your GF-Card!

The game has RSSP (Really Shitty Slav Programming) and will try to render at maximum framesrate possible, by trying to 100% tax your GPU.
The game was running at 900+ fps on my GF970 and the gpu temp reached 85C°
>>
>>387799263
>50+ hrs on record
Does this game has any progression/story?
Can it be finished?
Or is it just a never ending open world game, where you have to survive countless nights?
>>
>>387801359
There is a story that can be rushed to the end of, if that is how you want to do things.
>>
More games should have this kind of a darkness mechanic. Ever since I was a kid and games weren't nearly as advanced as they are now, I always wanted to play a game where you would have to really worry about the darkness and use any light sources you can.
When I was a kid I was afraid of the dark and there were times when the lights would go out and all I had to keep away the dark was some candles. The idea was that the more light I have the safer I am and the more darkness there is the more things could be hiding there. Shit's scary.
>>
>>387798372
About 15-20 hours if you rush. There is easily 40-50 if you take your time with it.
>>
>>387801359
there is a story, im pretty sure it can be finished, haven't gotten there yet, and you can survive as many nights as you can. i'd recommend stocking up before countinuing down the story though, the game favors the patient.
>>
>>387794845

I've been playing this for several months, probably since Christmas. Never beaten the game or its content, but I can safely say it's been one of the most original and spooky games I have played in many many years. Most spooky games do absolutely nothing for me- but Darkwood sucks you in.

The only way to really progress the story is to know and learn about the characters and lore. There are multiple endings- and fates of characters can swing wildly depending on the choices you take. There is never a moment when you realize you're making a major choice, either- it all just sorts of happens, and there's no constant save-states to figure out the best way to go. It's good for multiple playthroughs due to this.
>>
Does the game get more difficult the longer you take or can I progress at my own pace?
>>
How do I know when its time to barricade myself in? I cant see no timer in game...
Im an hour in and died once (killed by a dead deer). After dead i spawned back to life at "safehouse". So there are no consequences to dying? I then just respawn and can continue from where i died without losing anything?
>>
>>387801851
You're playing on the easiest difficulty.
>>
>>387801851
You can lose items afaik
>>
>>387801935
I'm playing it on "normal".
So there is no punishment for dead on normal?
>>
>>387802110
you lose some items and if you die during the night, you get no rep for trading
>>
>>387802110
Pretty much. You can lose an item and that's about it.
These faggots should fix the ''normal'' mode. It's retarded that you have to choose between no challenge whatsoever and permadeath.
Regular save points would have been ok.
>>
What is the benefits of lights at night? I'm on day 6, and only used the lights on the first night... Having no lights seems to draw way less attention, if I'm quiet I rarely get attacked.
>>
>>387802873
Ghosts will eat your ass after your first upgrade.
>>
>>387803316
upgrade of what?
can you level up like in RPG?
>>
>>387803662
Use the stove to turn things like mushrooms into an injection to level up.
The main character doesn't need to eat or drink, so all edibles should probably be just used for leveling.
>>
>>387803662
Cook in the oven. You get skills from there. Put mushrooms and meat there. You get one skill (get more vision cone the first) and one disadvantage (shadows will damage you sometimes in the dark)
>>
>>387803662
Check the oven, you can level yourself up by using mushrooms to concoct a vaccine that will offer you bonus perks.
How are you on day 6 and didn't catch this?
>>
File: Known issues.png (113KB, 839x966px) Image search: [Google]
Known issues.png
113KB, 839x966px
>>387801132
Also save your savegame, since v1.00 tends to corrupt savefiles for some ppl:
%USERPROFILE%\AppData\LocalLow\Acid Wizard Studio\Darkwood
>>
>>387803952
>>387803909
>>387803853
Dunno i was just roaming around collecting stuff...
>>
>>387801851
>How do I know when its time to barricade myself in? I cant see no timer in game...
You can buy a watch for 300 rep. But when dawn comes, everything looks orange, so go to your house
>>
>>387804829
Ok tnx 4 info.
Also anyone got the Indiegogo code for the first crate?
>>
>>387803316
Then wouldn't it be beneficial to never upgrade?
>>
When this game wa sin alpha or beta 1-2 years ago i found the nights to be kinda boring if nothing happens. How well is it now? More input shills pls, i still wonnt buy your game but maybe ill pirate it and if i like it, maybe say some nice things about it
>>
Is there permadeath?
>>
File: 20170820181419_1.jpg (200KB, 1600x900px) Image search: [Google]
20170820181419_1.jpg
200KB, 1600x900px
>>387804990

Injecting yourself is the only way to unlock certain dream sequences- which provide, at times, essential plot information and can also provide you actual items to use when you wake up from the dream. There are also certain bonuses- 360 degree vision and the ability to make all attacking enemies flee in terror, that are really quite useful.

You can, of course, totally beat the game without ever injecting mushrooms once. You lose out on a lot of plot info, some items you can get, and abilities- but you also never have any negative issues to worry about. It's considered a 'hard' run to not inject at all.

>>387805229

Hard and Nightmare mode is Permadeath. Hard is 4 lives, Nightmare is Ironman run.

>>387805048

Almost every night has new sequences, sounds, appearances, and is just generally really polished. Yes, you are stuck in your home, but they've done that so you can experience lots of weirder shit in those settings. The first couple of nights are still boring and tension building but shit pops off from there. I won't describe what, exactly- but they assault all your senses.
>>
>>387805229
kys and find out
>>
>>387805229
Normal difficulty - no permadeath, you lose an item when you die and have a harder time trading shit
Hard difficulty - 4 lives, then game ogre
Nightmare - 1 life, proper permadeath
>>
How does the random generation work? I've looked up footage of other people playing the game and they all have a different start, but I've restarted the game and I have the same exact house layout and map.
>>
File: 20170820194928_1.jpg (204KB, 1600x900px) Image search: [Google]
20170820194928_1.jpg
204KB, 1600x900px
Also, is it just me, or is the doctor an absolute hack fraud who is intentionally trying to kill everybody?
>>
>>387806190

Restart again, it'll be different. Sometimes you get 'lucky' and you get the same hideout configuration. The items you get in locations, where those locations are, etc.. will almost always be randomized. Some are 'hard coded' like the Brook, the Wedding, etc.. in certain areas for obvious reasons, but everything else changes.

I've gone to the Brook and gotten a Flashlight, and on my next playthrough it was just a couple of flares. I've gotten 4 shotgun shells in one Tank Crate, and that same tank crate in another game file had pistol parts instead.
>>
>>387802362
There is hard with 4 lives. The fuck you talking about?
>>
>>387806315
hey man what else you gonna do when people start splitting down the middle and forming teeth in the wound
>>
So apparently the swamp introduces a bunch of bullshit enemies? What can I expect?
>>
>>387806315
>pour petroleum over the nuts
Thats sick
>>
>>387801132
Fuck no wonder I was getting constant 'Graphics card has crashed and recovered' errors from windows when i played the game.
Shame to as the game has atmosphere and I like that shit.
>>
I want to fuck the chicken lady!
>>
File: g.jpg (59KB, 633x758px) Image search: [Google]
g.jpg
59KB, 633x758px
Who is knocking on the doors in the middle of the night? Stop
>>
>>387810647
Open it. You might not die :)
>>
I'm having shit performance/fps with the game, anyone else experiencing this?
>>
>>387810647

The patterned knocking is just polite neighbors coming to visit.
>>
>>387809314

Bring as much ammo and matches as you can. Cook only meat, and use the mushrooms to make flammable gas bottles.
>>
File: 124.jpg (67KB, 709x765px) Image search: [Google]
124.jpg
67KB, 709x765px
>We've been waiting for you
>want to dance?
>want to dance?
>want to dance?
>>
File: 20170817190211_1.jpg (167KB, 1600x900px) Image search: [Google]
20170817190211_1.jpg
167KB, 1600x900px
>>387812492

I fucked up and never opened the door. I'm only on day 7 though, can I still expect a friendly knock and an invitation??
>>
>>387812721
I just found the invitation on the floor in the morning.
>>
>tfw fighting a chomper for the first time

Jesus fucking Christ please tell me this is the only bullshit enemy in the game.
>>
>>387813405

There's technically 3 kinds of them, too. So enjoy that- each of them have slightly different attack patterns.

Apparently there are unique and really fucking hard enemies in Chapter 2
>>
>>387801757
Guys pls answer
>>
>>387814115
I think the game favors the slow approach. The only issue you have to worry about is gas since there's a finite amount on the map, but you can buy gas from the traders so maybe it's not an issue.
>>
>>387801757
you can progress at your own pace, but its gets harder and harder, depending in what area you are
(having a gun in old woods/chapter 2 is mandatory)
>>
>>387801132
I have to wonder what shitty kind of airflow you people have in your case. My GPU can run for hours at 100% no problem.
>>
>>387814746
>My GPU can run for hours at 100% no problem.
Mine can too, but that not the point here, dumbass. Just because a gpu can run at 100%, doens't mean it should without a reason.
>>
>>387795753
>Really terryfing atmosphere
Uhh how... It's a top down game, how is there anything scary about that. There aren't even any jump scares.
>>
>>387815789
ebin bait sir :DD
>>
>>387815789
you poor soul
i pity you
Thread posts: 80
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.