[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why do people hate RNG? unless the universe has some inherent

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1

File: 1476989271403.jpg (1MB, 4030x4096px) Image search: [Google]
1476989271403.jpg
1MB, 4030x4096px
Why do people hate RNG? unless the universe has some inherent mathematical bias against you (which it doesnt, you retard), RNG mechanics will pretty much always work in your favor eventually. Only brainlets oppose RNG in games.
>>
>eventually
nobody's got time for that
>>
>>387794008
People think everything should be about "skill" alone in vidya even though 99% of the real world has some level of luck involved.
>>
rng is my favorite video game """""mechanic"""""
>>
RNG = reee nigger gitgud
>>
>>387794008
RNG is a waste of time.
I'd rather turn in 3 mystery boxes in game for the item I want rather than having a small chance of getting the thing I'm after.
>>
>>387794008
>Why do people hate RNG?
Looking at pubg player count and retention, they really dont
they can attribute all of their successes to their individual skill and all of their failures on not finding 'that' because of RNG
The only place it doesn't make sense is single player in which you have no clear way to modify the chances in your favor
>>
>>387794008
There's good and bad implementation of RNG, you retard.
>>
most people aren't aware that control is an illusion
>>
Cosmetics behind RNG is stupid though. Especially when doubles get you nothing or a pitiful amount of in game cash in return.
Just let me pick the one I want.
>>
>>387796450
It's frustrating but it's an excellent way to make money. If people stopped paying for them then devs would stop putting them in their games.
>>
RNG might work if the system really does offer enough possible options to mitigate for the lack of your ability to predict the outcome reliably. That means basically that an RNG system only works if your game is really fundamentally allowing you to implement risk-management strategies reliably.

Sadly... not a lot of games really do that. And what is worse, for some utterly retarded reason (I actually know the reason, I just don't want to bloat the post too much), RNG is being exceptionally popular in combination with HIGH RISK gameplay mechanics: such as permadeath in Rogue-likes or Iron-Man centered strategies.
Yet those games rarely offer sufficient space for risk management. And that - to me - is infuriating.

People like to have control. Sometimes, it's fun to deprive them of art of the control on lower-level, so they could exercise control on higher order. Such as having a random crit mechanic that just may kill your soldier based on a fucking dice-roll in X-com - taking away your ability to prevent that death, BUT forcing you to exercise control on higher level - such as having multiple well-medium soliders rather than betting everything on one highly developed, so that the loss of one does not affect your chance to survive critically.

But it's a very difficult balance to maintain and I personally found very few games that would do so. And if you fuck it up, you'll end up making the player feel like he is being punished for things he does not have agency for. And that is very annoying. It feels like the game does not play fair.
>>
>>387794008
RNG is really important for some video game genres IMO. RNG is a gaming element that decreases predictability of a gaming process. It often offers variety and crucial for a lot of games. Obvious example would be a card game, it is core of a game. Also, in shooters, it is just intuitive to have a random, or semirandom bullet spread pattern.
>>
>>387796873
>Rogue-likes
>Yet those games rarely offer sufficient space for risk management
You never played a proper roguelike, have you?
>>
>>387797401
Does Rogue classify as "proper rogue-like"? Because if it does, then yes. I did.
But I'm not really looking for another genre-obsessed autist going on tirades about it, so I'm going to stop you right now and say: I don't care what you have to say here at all.
>>
>>387797652
Rogue was pretty crude. All I'm saying that some modern (but proper) roguelikes (Brogue and Sil come to mind) have ample space for risk management.
>>
>>387797953
Risk management done very well in dingeon crawl stone soup
>>
>>387798371
Yes and no, in my opinion. First, because damage variance was to high (at least when I played it, it's been some time), and second because most risk management strategies in DCSS were terribly boring (stairdancing, retreating as soon as you saw an enemy as to avoid aggroing the rest of its posse).
>>
>>387794008
Low quality bait, anon. Are you even trying?
>>
>play FTL for the first time
>run into hardcore mantis aliens in first few moves
>never play again
Fuck RNG for the most part
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.