[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Terraria vs. Starbound

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 76
Thread images: 12

File: 1503250392947.jpg (17KB, 510x288px) Image search: [Google]
1503250392947.jpg
17KB, 510x288px
Which one did it better?
>>
did starbound stop sucking
>>
>>387758424
No, don't let the chucklefish shills convince you otherwise.
>>
>>387758480
t. Terraria shill
>>
not this thread again
>>
>>387758424
Depends on how you look at it as "sucking". Shitty, hamfisted story with gay plotline and forced OC's? You bet.
>>
>>387758770
Is the sandbox stuff fun at least? Can I blow through the hamfisted story, and then just play it as an exploration/building game?
>>
>>387758848
Once you've seen a couple planet's you've seen them all, and unlike Terraria where you can summon any boss or event at your leisure you need to force yourself to go through the shit story mode to unlock missions.
>>
>>387758550
>waah my shitty, poorly made ripoff of a game that was still alive and kicking that only got any traction at all due to calling itself a "spiritual succcessor" was an unpopular, garbage piece of shit that came very close to dying in early access because the creators are shit with money and even worse at making a game
>but if you don't like it you're a Terraria shill
kys.
>>
>>387758981
Man, that's depressing. This game could've been a lay-up. Terraria was one of the few games my gf played co-op with me, and she loved it. Stardew Valley multiplayer might fill that void.
>>
>>387759065
You're allowed to dislike it as much as I'm allowed to dislike Terraria/prefer Starbound. In reality neither of us are shills but you seem to reject this notion.
>>
File: gHSy4hc.jpg (244KB, 1184x880px) Image search: [Google]
gHSy4hc.jpg
244KB, 1184x880px
Post Starbound builds.
>>
>>387759286
How the hell did they make the gun on the front?

Also where did that lore autist go? Post more crack theories.
>>
File: 1503281888995m.jpg (95KB, 1024x590px) Image search: [Google]
1503281888995m.jpg
95KB, 1024x590px
>>387759286
Yes indeed keep posting Starbound builds.
>>
>>387758981
But how long does it take to see a couple planets? In Terraria, eventually once you see certain things, you've seen them all too, but that's after like 20 hours.
>>
File: 1503282340248.png (743KB, 1370x910px) Image search: [Google]
1503282340248.png
743KB, 1370x910px
>>387758334
>>387758036
So what's the lore of Terraria?
>>
File: 1503281298411m.jpg (104KB, 1024x576px) Image search: [Google]
1503281298411m.jpg
104KB, 1024x576px
>>387760067
I don't agree the cultist mage was the good guy because why would that seal have Moonlords face? I do agree that the pillars are the twisted souls of the long dead heroes however.
>>
>>387759968
Whoa, this looks so good.
>>
>>387759832
>How the hell did they make the gun on the front?
literally just tin or copper blocks and different platform types
>>
>>387760009
After 20 hours in Starbound it's all the same shit really, the diversity that actually matters beyond visual flair is very small and most interesting places are more of a bother than not.

Towns for example can look really nice and there's a lot of different types, but this is never really great because of how obnoxious they are to navigate and interact with, imagine going through the dungeon in Terraria but all the mobs close every door they go through, but at least there's more visual variety :^)

Having cascading soil be textured as sand, sludge, slime or bones is again a nice visual touch but it does nothing for actual interactive variety, which Starbound really lacks, in Terraria as you go underground the different areas are very distinct, going through the underground jungle is very different from going through the caves or the desert. In Starbound every cave is exactly the same with only different textured/colored blocks broken up by the occasional building (not really different from the derelict huts or jungle shrines in Terraria, but again, more visual variety at least)
>>
>>387760370
>Pillars were the bodies/souls of the dead heroes used to seal the soul of Moonlord/Cthulu
>Cultist ritual corrupts them
>Breaking each pillar weakens the seal on Moonlord/Cthulu which is why you're assailed by headaches and such on breaking each one
>Breaking the final one unseals the remains of the slain god
>You put him down for good?
>>
File: XHPFYWt.jpg (664KB, 3087x1010px) Image search: [Google]
XHPFYWt.jpg
664KB, 3087x1010px
Still waiting for those Starbound builds.
>>
>>387761285
IM WORKING ON IT OKAY GIVE ME TIME Gave up working on it actually, game made me grind for silver/gold/titanium mats 40+ hours if I wanted to finish, fuck that noise
>>
>>387761548
It's only 40+ hours, anon. Don't you want to finish your build?
>>
>>387761114
Wew, when did Terraria have such deepest lore?
>shattering each pillar weakens the seal that tethers the wounded cosmic God however fragments of each hero is released allowing the present hero to forge their weapons and armor in the hope of a chance to stop the encroaching end.
>>
>Terraria bosses require specific situations and/or items to summon bosses
>Real sense of character progression as you gear up
>Starbound Beta required you to build boss summoning items to fight the boss on your turf
>Starbound now requires you to fight bosses in really shitty "arenas" after speedrunning through really bad dungeon designs
>Can't even speedrun them because there's shit in the way
>Gearing up takes minutes, doesn't feel good

Starbound's beta was 10/10. Everything was going in the right direction until they fired the pedo and moved to London. Then everything spiraled to shit.
>>
>>387759968
Holy shit, anywhere I can download this map?
>>
>>387762101
>fired the pedo
Haven't paid attention to all of Chucklefucks dives but what is this?
>>
>"The sands of time are flowing. And well, you are not aging very gracefully."
The fuck did that hippie bimbo mean by this?
>>
>>387762492
With all the draining shit you put your body through you may end up being a shrunken, wrinkly old man with arthritis and a limp.
>>
>>387762308
Fairly certain that Bartwe guy was a pedo. Or one of the other devs, I forget. Someone "left" Chucklefish, and it was later found in a thread that they were a pedo. It's good to get rid of degenerate trash, but the game's quality started nosediving by then.
>>
>>387760009
Not very long, if you follow basic tier progression (which the story does as well) it ends at Volcanic planets. What stops you from entering stronger planets is some kind of extreme temperature or poisonous radiation, and you need something to bypass it. No planets in the game are as diverse as Earth.

The underground 'biomes' you see can be found in almost any planet, just with different minerals.
>>
File: jedi shit.webm (2MB, 854x512px) Image search: [Google]
jedi shit.webm
2MB, 854x512px
Has there ever been a game with so much wasted potential as Starbound? The game gives you so much shit that's nice to mess around with and so many places to explore but zero reason to do any of that shit.
>>
>>387762958
No Man's Sky
>>
>>387762958
>Penguin follower
You'd be better off having a pet cactus. Penguins are so bad as crew members.
>>
>>387763087
In my experience every crew member is garbage, melee dudes all just run in hit twice and get fucked and range dudes shooting very rarely for trivial damage.
>>
File: latest[1].jpg (44KB, 480x263px) Image search: [Google]
latest[1].jpg
44KB, 480x263px
>>387762958
>>
>>387763252
The medics are okay, because they actually prioritize bandaging you asap. Everyone else though is worthless.
>>
>>387763087
The only members that aren't shit are the ones that give you boosters.
>>
>>387763316
This, Starbound Nu-males Sky and TORtanic were the ultimate failures if modern gaming.
>>
>>387759968
If those doors don't have teleporters that lead to the indoor sections of those houses then this is SHIT
>>
>>387763319
No, the medics will just randomly heal you for a worthless amount every now and then, they don't actually prioritize shit.
>>
>>387759968
All flash and no fury.
>>
>>387758334
I've only p,ayed Starbound, but as a fan of exploration games, SB could have done much better. Almost everything worthwhile are underground, and most planets are only surface-deep in variety. There are no good incentive to explore the more interesting parts.
IIRC, vanilla also locks certain biomes to certain difficulty levels, so you'll be seeing the same shit per level progression rather than every other planet, and max level stuff are barren wastelands which are even more boring to explore.
The modding community has some great stuff to use, though, and makes the game real worthwhile.
>>
>>387763767
What are some good mods then? All I saw was trash.
>>
>>387763478
battleborn and evolve senpai
>>
>>387763031
>Advertised as "Go around space doing fuck all: The Game"
>Turns out to be just that
Literally what potential?
>>
>>387763767
What other exploration games do you recommend? I've been looking for some good ones.
>>
>>387758334
I heard from some faggot that the reason why starbound went to shit is that the head dev molested a little girl or something and then they scrapped most of what was planned and memoryhole'd him.
No idea if it's true but there's no fucking way to check.
Makes you think though.

Also starbound a shit - the earlier builds of it showed promise but then they deleted all of that, whereas terraria is really complex and fleshed out, with a metric shitload of content.
>>
>>387763869
Frackin' Universe and True Space shakes up the linear rigidness the main game has with unique and varied biomes that truly gives off the feeling of an alien setting, Frackin' Races adds race-specific abilities (really shines in multiplayer), and almost any combat/weapon mods/upgrades will add more depth to the gameplay. Adding a shit ton of races will also increase the likelihood of finding unique settlements on planets too.
>>
>tfw used to unironically ERP in Starbound
With that it wins
>>
>>387764332
I've been playing a lot of Subnautica recently, if you don't have that yet I highly recommend jumping onboard right now, last of the major updates have gone through and all that's left is polishing and cleaning out the bugs for final release.
>>
File: 1503278742794.jpg (219KB, 700x1000px) Image search: [Google]
1503278742794.jpg
219KB, 700x1000px
>>387764992
But you can do so much better with Terraria.
>>
>>387764759
Cheers I'll check that out, frackin sounds great since I wanted to do more with the farming since I already played stardew valley to death and good HM games are dead as shit.

Any specific combat/weapon mods you recommend? The combat especially is insufferably tedious in this game.
>>
File: 1458855126228.png (98KB, 249x251px) Image search: [Google]
1458855126228.png
98KB, 249x251px
Where are the server
>>
>>387765032
>Jumping on right now as they're about to finish up for release
Just wait for the fucking release, current build has a ton of bugs and broken shit.
>>
>>387765032
>Cutefish soon
Can't wait to cook it and use it as ammunition to deter Reapers!
>>
>>387765146
>not wanting the pre-order bonus of a pet fish
>possibly cheaper price
>>
>>387758424
go pirate it and find out
>>
File: zeXekbY.png (103KB, 639x436px) Image search: [Google]
zeXekbY.png
103KB, 639x436px
>>387765417
It's not preorder bonus anymore. Everyone gets it. Though, buying it now saves you from a price hike at least.
>>
>>387765134
>>
>>387765067
It's been a while since I played so some could be outdated or have better alternatives, but
>Weapon Stats for showing DPS
>XS Mechs & ZZ Mechs
>Weapon Fusion Station
>God Dame Flamethrowers
>Tactical Weapons
And there was one where you could aim melee weapons instead of being forced to just swing forwards, but whatever I had seemed to have been removed off the workshop.
>>
terraria otherworld WHEN
>>
I have played both a lot over the years and I enjoyed playing them. However, starbound in its current state is bland and boring, useless quests and no real challange, it's bland and shallow, I will probably never play it again. Terraria on the other hand I know I will play again, there is nothing quite like starting a fresh character and building a comfy wooden house.
>>
>>387760067
loretist here, I appreciate you saving my chart. Recap
>moonlord is the undead aspect of cthulhu, created from the cultists' failed summoning
>each celestial pillar represents an aspect of the higher power, corresponding to the four dungeon types in the game (they also look like demon altars)
>the three regular dungeons are associated with the lunar cult, the lihzahrd temple is connected with the sun (its antithesis)
>corruption and crimson are two manifestations of cthulhu, the former being its essence and the latter its physical decaying form
don't know about this "original hero" theory that's being tossed around, but this is my take on it.

so, yeah, hope that helps add context...I never did bother to finish that thing
>>
>>387762958
Minecraft
>>
>>387766970
I thought the moonlord was cthulhu's brother?
>>
>>387758334

>>387758334
Terarria. I'd rather have 1 random map done well than infinite random maps done like shit.

Which sucks because I thought beta starbound was neat. But the release update made it stupid simple in places where you'd like it to be complex, and stupid complex where you'd like it to be simple. It was perfectly fine in beta but they actually took steps backward for the release. It boggles my mind to think why they would change what they did.
>>
File: 1393761578897.jpg (190KB, 1000x1200px) Image search: [Google]
1393761578897.jpg
190KB, 1000x1200px
Played Starbound on release - it was okay, but not even close to as good as Terraria. I wasn't too upset though, considering everyone thought it was abandonware for years, and I had already fallen for the pre-order scam when it first got announced

I heard the modding scene for it is really good though. If I were to play through it again, what are the best overhaul mods (or just mods in general) to run with it?
>>
>>387760067
Moon Lord is a failed attempt to recreate Cthulhu by some Cultists who appear in a heavily corrupted world. The Corruption/Crimson are the spilled remains of the original Cthulhu, which may have been slain long before by another powerful hero. His brain and eye contain enough power beyond his full body that they still function. The Wall of Flesh is parts of his corpse that sank through the ground into hell. When that's defeated, the remains shoot back through the world, leaving part of it hallowed and more of it corrupted/crimson.

Also, I just made that all up, there's no actual hard lore outside of the Cultists being the ones who summon Moon Lord.
>>
It aint so bad, I hope Chucklefuck uses some of the money they got with Stardew Valley to add more stuff to It in the future.
Game just needs more variety and to get rid of the story campaing because holy shit does It suck...
>>
>>387767435
Starbound is kind of stuck. In order for starbound to be good they would have to reduced the map to just one solar system, so they can fully flesh out each planet. It would also be more interesting to see the planets generation work in the same way corruption and crimson biomes are determined for your world in terraria.
>>
>>387763478
>all the big failures have something to do with space
>>
>>387768196
>Single solar system with each planet gated behind load screens, sort of like Minecraft's Nether. Server has to be able to handle up to nine active planets, though.
>Each planet gets its own random generation based on planet type. "Earth" gets the diverse stuff, hot planets are deserts and hellish landscapes, cold planets are frozen tundras with ice and hidden oceans, etc
>Colors randomized as well. Red ice planets, ice blue hot planets, pink earth with a yellow sky, etc
>Life finds a way on every planet
>Horrible comet swings by planets in a pattern, dropping tentacle monsters that corrupt the land
>Ultimate goal is to cleanse all of your system's planets and destroy the comet
>Multiplayer lets you visit your friends' solar systems

Even if it was boring monsters like now, I'd be so much more happy with this sort of thing.
>>
>>387768835
Alright time for someone to make it a mod or another game. Dump issues with this idea.
>>
>>387766737
Fucking this. I keep wanting to start up Starbound and build a kickass base or collect tile types but than remember that there's no reason to build a base, the absolutely shit story, the bland combat, the bad progression system, and so on.
Thread posts: 76
Thread images: 12

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.