[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

"Optimization"

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 3

File: 1424800134147.jpg (25KB, 600x451px) Image search: [Google]
1424800134147.jpg
25KB, 600x451px
Why is "optimization" always the calling card of poorfags who believe they can play whatever they want, maxed out, at 60+ fps on a toaster? They always blame devs, but the moment you ask for a speccy they hide or post one they took from a previous thread.
>>
>>387692902
Yep. That's why Steam reviews are garbage. Shitters with shit computers.
>>
File: Ainsley.png (315KB, 400x380px) Image search: [Google]
Ainsley.png
315KB, 400x380px
99% of /v/ are tech illiterate and know jack shit about how optimization a videogame even works
>>
>>387693615
Every optimization complaint I have ever seen on Steam that gets dumped in droves was justified. XCOM 2 ran like absolute garbage even on high end machines, it's clearly the fucking truth when the developers also spent time with War of The Chosen improving performance so the game doesn't shit itself when an explosion happens.
>>
>>387692902
>play the forest
>unity meme
>overheats a little, but 60 fps at all settings
>subnautica
>unity meme
>stutters for every single thing it has to load on screen

Really makes my QPUs align
>>
>>387692902
we wouldn't call them out so much if some wackjob in his spare time shits out a mod that fixes 99% of the problems a few days post release
>>
>>387692902
But a large quantity of vidya, toaster or no toaster, are optimized like shit even on low ass settings.
>>
>>387693758
How can anybody tell without looking at code? Besides when it's obvioust stuff like indieshit running on ue or unity, one can't tell it's unoptimized or just shit by design and doing better requires rewriting whole fucking game.
>>
>>387693758
feels good to be in the top 1%
>>
>>387692902
Tell me Ark is optimized
>>
File: 250px-558Crustle.png (59KB, 250x250px) Image search: [Google]
250px-558Crustle.png
59KB, 250x250px
>>387692902
but games are badly optmized
just think about the meaning of the word
with the tech they have now they should be able to make everything better but holy shit they dont
>>
When I could play mgsv on my Intel HD graphic 4000, dare I say the game is optimized?
>>
>>387694274
that's not what optimization means
>implying they have infinite budget to work on game engine
>implying they have infinite deadline to work on game engine
>>
>>387694429
What's with Japanese game engies running so well on any machine?

It's as if they put more time and effort into making sure it runs well.....
>>
Yeah, you tell em, man!

My $2000 Rig runs everything fine. I hate poor people
>>
>>387692902
Optimization is important -- not just in new games, but older ones too. Crysis Warhead, for example, is really poorly optimized. It spikes my CPU to almost max usage while I can play shit like MGSV on very high settings just fine.

Optimization is certainly a term misused by poorfags, but I think a lot of games are lacking a proper sense of optimization. Doom 4, for example, misuses the megatexture system that John Carmack came up with, where instead of using just one mega texture and plastering it across places to save ram, and increase rendering speed, they use it for fucking EVERYTHING. EVERYTHING is a fucking megatexture now.

So yeah, optimization is rather important, because if your engine isn't optimized properly, you get shit like MechWarrior 3's modern PC performance, Crysis Warhead, FarCry 2, and more. It's not just about not being able to play shit on weaker hardware, it's about being able to play it *period.*
>>
>>387694561
Yeah, back when I had my shittop with C2d cpu and GeForce 210m (in 2010~2014) , the 2 memorial games I got to play were Metal Gear Rising and Binary Domain. Apparently jap is well aware of their average jap pc players having toaster machines so they tend to put extra effort into optimization
>>
>>387694462
>>387694274
>>387692902
This is an extreme case but yes games can be shitly optimized. Don't tell me you've never run a flash game before that at some point, despite looking like shit, manages to screech down to 17 FPS when running? That's poorly optimized. If you more than fill the minimum requirements for a game, and shit still gets lag lower than expected frame rates, that poor optimization.

Remember console's are pretty underpowered compared to normal rig set up, so if it's working fine on a console but not a default rig something's wrong.
>>
>>387694854
the big AAA devs have to know how to WORKFLOW optimization, they gotta focus on the important things like the enemy AI scripting etc
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.