[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Steam controller

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 1

File: 448189_gen_b.png (38KB, 270x270px) Image search: [Google]
448189_gen_b.png
38KB, 270x270px
Do any of you use the Steam Controller for public multiplayer games? Such as R6 Siege.

I'm playing through Half Life 2 with this thing right now and there's no disadvantage at all for me versus a mouse. Since I'm a fingertip grip with a mouse, I don't move the mouse physically far across the pad.

This is similar to the Steam controller where your thumb has limited travel, but combined with low acceleration you can do a 180 turn while still maintaining accuracy, then line up a headshot with the gyro.
>>
>>387690302
>Do any of you use the Steam Controller for public multiplayer games? Such as R6 Siege.
Are you joking?
>>
>>387690537
not him but why does it matter? those games all have performance based matchmaking, so no matter what he can still find games with players with similar capability
>>
>playing FPS with a controller
the absolute state of nu/v/
>>
>>387690638
>not him but why does it matter?
Don't you want to win?
>>
>>387690729
read the rest of my post
>>
>>387690302
I haven't played competitive multiplayer games with it, but I've played lots of single player or co-op games with it and not suffered any.
I'm sure it could handle itself vs players with mice, one of the best FPS players I knew back in the Quake 3 days played with a trackball which is essentially what the Steam Controller is doing.

Mainly use it when I get tired of sitting in my computer chair and want to kick back on the couch. Also helps that I've got a nice big 40" monitor.
>>
>>387690302
i've tried but havent spent enough time for my hands and brain to get used to it. Cant to FPS yet, just sidescrollers
>>
How could anyone buy this shit? The controls are inferior compared to an Xbox controller and it's cheaper too.
>>
>>387690805
>The controls are inferior compared to an Xbox controller
in what ways specifically?
>>
>>387690537
>Are you joking?

If someone is as effective with the SC as with a mouse why not use it online?

The SC is akin to a thumb trackball + gyro
>>
>>387690805
Steam Controller is frequently $35, last I checked that made it the cheapest wireless controller around, and it has configuration options and extra actions that just aren't possible with a normal Xbox pad.
>>
>>387690805
>How could anyone buy this shit? The controls are inferior compared to an Xbox controller and it's cheaper too.

How are the controls inferior to an Xbone pad?

It's possible to map every Arma 3 command to the SC with room to spare
>>
>>387690904
>If someone is as effective with the SC as with a mouse
This literally will never happen.
>>
Finger tip grip doesn't have much to do with what sens you use, I use fingertip grip and play on a mid to low sens. This is going to sound like I'm being a cunt but fuck it, if you genuinely 'don't move the mouse much' you probably are using a sense which is far to high to actually aim well. You are probably thinking 'nah I'm awesome' but my money would be on no... you're not. Turn down your mouse sens and learn to aim again, you won't ever go to back to playing an fps game on pc.
>>
>>387690904
>The SC is akin to a thumb trackball + gyro
This is a complete fantasy you conjured out of intense buyer's remorse. I wonder if you actually own one, or have ever tried one. Or if you've ever used a trackball.
>>
>>387691052
he says he aims with the gyro my mate
>>
>>387691056
>This is a complete fantasy you conjured out of intense buyer's remorse. I wonder if you actually own one, or have ever tried one. Or if you've ever used a trackball.

I use my SC for games and to control my PC, outputting to a big TV.

There isn't a better wireless mouse / media controller on the market than the SC. The trackpad is perfect for moving the cursor and the on screen keyboard for typing is as good as any awkward physical mini keyboard.

I bought it on sale and it's the best bang for buck PC peripheral I have.
>>
>>387691056
I've used a trackball, I've used a Steam controller. You do have to set the SC to trackball mode instead of the default thumbstick emulation in most games but once you do it works very well.
>>
>>387691052

I think for most people, fingertip grip implies the mouse is moving less across the mousepad than a palm grip
>>
>2 years later and steam controller owners are still trying to justify their purchase
It's terrible, get over it.
>>
I slapped together a profile for Valve games (primarily TF2). Having fun with the trackball low friction spinning characters, but using the gyro is a little tricky.
>>
>>387690302
It's a great controller.
>>
>>387691682
The only real weakness of the controller is handled by having a cheap SNES pad, which is something you should have anyway if you're wanting to do some retro gaming.
Xbox pads aren't that good for that either.
>>
Its shit.

Best controller for PC is the Xbox 1 white version
>>
>>387691682
This. I'm pretty sure most steam controllers that's been sold are taking dust now.
>>
>>387691419
does it work easily for windows desktop or more just for big picture?
>>
>>387690302
>Such as R6 Siege
tried once on ranked. Maybe its ok on casual, but it was too stressful for me with the SC. You really do have a disadvantage playing against mouse and keyboard with it. Would not recommend.

Then again I never really got warm with playing fps´s with the steam controller, even single player ones
Thread posts: 28
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.