[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

remember when this game came out? remember when it was awful?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 3

remember when this game came out?
remember when it was awful?
remeber when /v/ vehemently defended it like the second coming?
remember when it kill the series?
remember how it was all your fucking fault?
>>
>>387680861
>listening to /v/'s opinion on anything

It's almost like you want to be an idiot
>>
Yes, I do remember.
But it is still all Frictional's fault for butchering and streamlining their games all the time. OG Amnesia was already trash compared to Penumbras, and AMFP was nothing but a walking-simified Amnesia-lite
>>
I remember when it came out.
It wasn't awful, we had lots of awesome threads discussing it. I was among the few people who posted the first screenshots here on the game.
It's no The Dark Descent.
>>
>>387680861
>remeber when /v/ vehemently defended it like the second coming?

No?
>>
As much as I hated the gameplay of amnesia, and how some of that carries over to SOMA
SOMA is still a really good game.

Sorry, I know that was pretty off-topic, but it's the same guys that made amnesia
>>
>>387680861
yes
yes
no
no
no
>>
>>387680984
It wasn't made by Frictional, they just published it. The dev was The Chinese Room aka the people behind Dear Ester.
>>
>>387680861

I dont
Because /v/ fucking hate it
>>
>>387681125
DEAR ESTER WAS ABSOLUTE FUCKING GARBAGE AND YHE DEVS NEED TO BE EXECUTED
>>
>>387680861
>remember when this game came out?
Yes.
>remember when it was awful?
It was very disappointing, yes.
No. Because that never happened you fucking retard. /v/ was already throwing absolute shit-fits about it months before it even came out because it developed by the people who developed Dear Esther.
Nobody was defending it. Everybody absolutely hated it. Actually, the hate was frankly disproportional to how bad the game was, but that is not unsurprising given the context.
>remember when it kill the series?
No, because it was not planned to be a series. Frictional has been talking about making Soma very much since original Amnesia came out. Machine for Pigs was a fun little spin-off they tried while the actual studio was going on with their work that turned out not working.
>remember how it was all your fucking fault?- 7 posts shown.
Ahahahaha what?

I have better question OP:
Why the fuck would you be lying like this?
Why the fuck would you be claiming that /v/ defended this game when it was a fucking textbook example of /v/ going absolutely off the rails with anger and angst about how it's shit?

And why would pretend there was a "series" in the making?
What is the fucking point of being this absolutely, disgustingly dishonest?
>>
>>387681125
Ah yes, now I remember that too.
It was already a target of jokes because of that. Either way, F let their IP get raped harder, and the end result affected even their game design
>>
>>387681271
>What is the fucking point of being this absolutely, disgustingly dishonest?
I just like to troll /v/ hahahaha
>>
>>387681254
fuck i hated that thing so much
>>
>>387681654
>>387681254
Why?
I mean I get what it's just not interesting and worth while for most people, but why the everliving fuck would you actually fucking hate it?

I get why people were mad about Machine for Pigs, since that was presented as a sequel to Amnesia, and that comes with certain expectations and implications that were sure as fuck not lived up to, but Dear Esther?
>>
>>387681754
BECAUSE NO ONE SHOULD DEV A GAME LIKE THAT THERE IS NO POSSIBILITY OF IT BEING ANY GOOD NO MATTER HOW MUCH YOU POLISH IT IF ThERE IS NO COMBAT TJAT GAME IS SHIT
>>
>>387681878
... I honestly can't tell if this is irony/mocking/falseflagging or actually serious. Man, either I'm just going brain-dead, or this board is going to hell.
>>
>>387681921
He is kinda right though, they made a game without gameplay, they made a broken movie that only plays if you hit the w in your keyboard and it's not even a good movie, it's just boring vague exposition.
>>
File: 1498970059680.jpg (174KB, 900x900px) Image search: [Google]
1498970059680.jpg
174KB, 900x900px
>>387680861
Yeah, it was pretty lackluster, but it was The Chinese Room's fault and i don't remember it being defended.
And i don't think it killed Amnesia as a series either because the original studio never planned it to be a series. The Dark Descent is still great, and Frictional simply chose to move on to other thing, namely SOMA, which is terrific.
>>
>>387682021
Sure, it's a bit of a dead end experiment in game narrative. But... so what? I mean so are fucking VN's and people don't throw tantrums over them. Games experiment and and fool around and some of that does not pan out very well and Dear Esther was one of those cases.
Again: I completely understand why you would not enjoy it. I kinda did but then again I also enjoy Pathologic so there might be something genuinely weird about me.

My question is not "why people did not enjoy Dear Esther", that seems to be so trivial that it does not need to be asked.

My question is why would anyone HATE it.
>>
>>387681921
>either I'm just going brain-dead, or this board is going to hell.
Or possibly both.

I mean, the guy has a point saying Dear Esther is pretty shit, but yeah, getting that mad at a videogame like that is an exercise in futility. It's not like it was a massive success or that it changed the panorama in terms of game development and design.

They just tried to do something different and it wasn't very good.
>>
>>387682152
>My question is why would anyone HATE it.

Because it's fun. Hating things is fun in my opinion.
>>
>>387681125
I still don't understand how people didn't see the obvious red flag
>>
>>387682258
>Hating things is fun in my opinion.
You are genuinely, seriously mentally ill. I know that you will probably think I'm completely overreacting, but this is an absolutely terrible attitude to cultivate, that will make you into a genuinely awful person that actual corrupts everything you'll participate in. Ask any psychologist, anyone who has a bit of experience with what resentment and bitterness does to people.
People like you already genuinely destroyed this board. And it's not going to get better. It will eventually start turning against you to.
>>
>>387680861
It was good.
>>
>>387682758
it was shit
>>
>>387680861

What was bad about it? Literally like all other Frictional games, even if they didn't develop it.
>>
>>387680861
It's better than the first one. But the first one was so bad that isn't saying anything.
>>
>>387680861
It was a walking simulator with great writing and voice acting, if it didn't had the Amnesia name in it people would've probably liked it a lot more.
>>
>>387680861
>remember when it was awful?
Yeah
Not at all. It got a lot of shit here on releae, and it was all justifited.
>>
the biggest problem with the game was that they put it under the Amnesia banner.
they could called it only AMFP and it would be more successful.
the game itself was fantastic. well...it wasnt really a game but more like a journey.

But still, this "5 hour walking sim" made me more exited and invested then every new "OPEN AAA FPS/TP ARPG" that we get every 2 weeks and call it "GOTY".
>>
>>387683383
no the biggwst problem is a ahiity interactive movie being called a game its trash absolute shit it has no gameplay and it doesnt deserve to exist
>>
>>387683660
You really are one angry, deranged little fuck, aren't you?
>>
The game has some great writing but the overall gameplay is near non existent
I've actually considered porting over the assests from Machine for Pigs over to the new HPL engine and redesigning the levels just for a bit of fun
>>
The problem with walking simulators isnt that walking simulators themselves suck, theres a place for them, the problem is when you sacrifice gameplay for story and atmosphere then that story and atmosphere better be fucking amazing.

And most walking simulators fail because devs just think they're taking the easy way to success and they dont bring that quality you need to make up for the sacrifices.

AMFP, at least in my opinion, delivered.
>>
>>387683857
i just dont want to see gameplay die and think that there is no room for games that dont have it if you want to make a movie make a fucking movie
>>
>>387680861

I liked it.
>>
>>387683995
then you are part if the cancer killing games
>>
>>387683949
Yes: that is what I'm saying: you are a deranged insecure little fuck who reacts with extreme hostility to the notion that not everything will follow you personal wishes and preferences, which you literally see as an attack or threat to yourself: regardless of context or rationality.
>>
No, I don't. I know I made a couple hate threads and people mostly agreed.
As a huge fan Penumbra and Dark Descent I was very disappointed. It was like walking through a haunted house.
>>
>>387683660
And who exactly are you to determine which is a game and which is not?
to say that this game has no gameplay what so ever is like saying that P&C games has no gameplay because there is no WASD.
>>
>>387684087
the only thing im i swcure about is having nothong to do necause everything is a ducking walking sim now with 0 challenge i should never EVER be able to finish a game in an afternoon there should be a 24 hour requirment
>>
File: 1416867839570.png (203KB, 361x361px) Image search: [Google]
1416867839570.png
203KB, 361x361px
>>387680861
>entire premise is navigating a gigantic human meat processor
>you never see any of it happen
>when you finally reach the center of the map with the giant meat grinder, you end up in some fucking tesla coil maze instead
>>
>>387684240
Still not sure if you are trolling or genuinely mentally retarded...
>>
>>387684347
what is retarded about wanting there to only be good games and no garbage like tacoma dear ester a machine for pigs or gone home?
>>
>>387684423
I guess your favorite game right now is DS3.
And you would consider Borderlands 1 a classic at this point of lame sex pursuit life of yours.
>>
>>387684423
>what is retarded about wanting there to only be good games
Well, everything, really.
So first of all: it's absolutely retarded that you even assume that you can be a reliable judge of what is good and what isn't.
Second of all, it's retarded to want only good products in a free market.
Third it's retarded to get mad that niche products not fitting your own personal, subjective taste exist.

Your taste most likely isn't good either. Even if it is decent in some respects, it's definitely going to be weak on others. And this is market driven by giving people options to experiment and provide for niches. If that ACTUALLY MAKES YOU MAD, then you are: by very strict definition of the word, mentally ill and unfit or incapable of living and dealing with contemporary society.
>>
>>387684682
my taste is fine peoole who like this kind of horseshit are actually ruining gaming with their shit
>>
>>387684870
See the fucking delusion?
>>
>>387680861
>remember when /v/ vehemently defended it like the second coming?
Quite the opposite.
>>
>>387682419
Imagine being a huge fan of Penumbra except for the 3rd one of course and loving Amnesia despite being a significantly different. Now imagine wanting to experience their next game with a little spoilers as possible, essentially going in blind. I don't remember where I got this idea but, for some reason I thought the Chink Room was just doing the visual design of AMFP and even though Dear Ester was just a walking simulator, the caves were amazingly well designed.

I bought the game day one and I have never been burned so bad by a game before or since. Really learned my lesson on getting hyped
>>
GOAT OST and voiceacting though

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zTQ3lZPOJ7Y

Hope Jessica Curry gets work outsde of Chinese Room, because as a studio they just seem lost.
>>
I don't remember defending it. I was pretty disappointed in it. I liked Dear Esther and all previous Amnesia games, so I thought for sure I'd like this too.
>>
>>387688731
Same here. I thought Dear Esther was alright (although I only payed a dollar for it in a humble bundle).
However, what wasn't OK was how The Chinese Room tried to turn Amnesia into Dear Esther by removing all of the real horror mechanics.
>>
>>387681605
lol xD fuck off retard.
>>
>>387680861
>when /v/ vehemently defended it like the second coming?
This is bait
Thread posts: 56
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.