[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What do you think the next big thing is?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

File: IMG_0336.jpg (375KB, 1280x1184px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0336.jpg
375KB, 1280x1184px
I feel like everything has become stale and derivative. So many genres are just sequels, reboots or flat out pandering to 90s/00s nostalgia.

This era had some breakthrough games that were classics not because they were the best very game, but because they brought something new to the table.

Some fond memories for me include:
> Wolf3D & Doom for the birth of FPS
> DN3D & Leisure Suit Larry for bringing smut to gaming
> Final Fantasy bringing JRPG to the west
> Baldurs Gate for bringing DnD to the PC, and setting the standard for CRPGs
> Red Alert/Warcraft for strategy
> Sims for living a fantasy life and killing people
> GTA Vice City for big open world feel and story telling
> Minecraft for creating stuff
> L4D for cooperative killin'
> COD/CS:GO for killin' each other.

I'm struggling to see what the next big thing is. What do you think?
>>
>>387669146
everything is gray, dull, and suffering from here on out
>>
Early access survival games are the new big thing though they're going to start dying out soon.

Maybe someone will do something new with strategy games.
>>
Either someone figures out that the next console needs to play games(games that are made for play and not for gimmick) and little to nothing else or the industry dies. That's my guess.
>>
>>387669513
I was going to ask how they were going to die out, but then I realized you said early access "survival"

yeah I agree. Survival is dying. early access is not dying though.
>>
At this rate Battle Royale/Free for alls are going to get more attention now that streamerbait is more important to marketing than ever before + PUBG creeping to surpass mobashit. Hero shooter fad died way faster than I imagined and I'm honestly glad to see the mobabubble pop finally.
>>
it seems like everyone is banking for VR
>>
>>387669949
Hero shooter fad died because Overwatch was the only passable game in the genre and even that got incredibly stale.
>>
>>387669949
>>387670164
"Hero shooters" died because the focus was on the shitty characters instead of the "asymmetrical multiplayer".
>>
>>387670690
>asymmetrical multiplayer
something like that would actually take effort to balance and people couldn't dump 500 hours exclusively on one character, so they'd leave
>>
>>387669146
VR/AR once it really becomes accessible to everyone and actual games are made for it.
>>
>>387669146
Games going back to their roots and failing to hit the point on why the old games were good. Eg nudoom.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.