[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

dragon quest vii, which I am currently not digging.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 86
Thread images: 14

File: look at this retard.png (2MB, 1291x727px) Image search: [Google]
look at this retard.png
2MB, 1291x727px
>Go deliver a book to some old man
>Go find the prince
>Go into four identical crypts and watch a cutscene as you push two buttons in each one (okay, I get it, can we move on now?)
>Now offer up the four macguffins to four statues and slow identical cutscenes play for each statue (really, can we MOVE ON NOW?)
I'm an hour in and I've done nothing but boring fucking errands with not a puzzle or a combat encounter in sight. What the fuck is the meaning of this pointless bullshit? This busywork? How do people LOVE this series?

inb4 "Oh It gets better 20hours in" Explain why the fuck the game is so genuinely terrible right now then
inb4 "Oh that's, uhm, that's The Bad One, you want this other DQ instead..." Then why the fuck do you shitheads recommend it and what lapse happened at Squeenix to permit such a low quality entry?
>>
Also what's up with the writing? Is it meant to be ironically generic and bland, or is it just boring localizers?
>>
>>387653942
DQVII is a slow paced game, it takes its time to familiarize you with its world and characters. I definitely don't think it's a good entry point for newcomers to the series for that reason (it's a DQ for fans who can't get enough DQ), but it does a great job of building itself up through small arcs, which combine into one of the most truly grandiose adventures in games.
>>
>>387653942
I took a break once jobs finally became available which was like a year ago. Keep in mind that was after 30 hours of gameplay. It's a weird game. I plan to finish it someday.
>>
Update: I finally have the privilege of fighting some slimes. The fight consisted of closing my eyes and hammering the confirm button until it finally ended. So to summarize: Dragon Quest VII takes one hour and 20 minutes to build up to fight of "Mash A". Super Mario Bros, a game that came out 15 years earlier (or 32 years earlier, however way it pleases you to spin it), takes five seconds to build up to a fight of "Press A within a time window". Truly this is the thinking man's genre.
I also dislike how the game throws Yes or No prompts at me. I don't understand why they'd even bother. They're insulting.
Final Fantasy VII came out three/twenty years before DQ7 and it had a much more interesting opening hour and a half with much quicker combat. That game was super tolerable. I guess that's what I deserve when I listen to Kotaku https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LcfCkOJTckI

>>387654812
Sounds like the perfect first game to port to 3DS.
>>
>>387655943
>Sounds like the perfect first game to port to 3DS.
it was the next game in line to be ported, 1-3 were on GBC and 4-6 were on DS. Also, it sounds like DQ is just not the series for you.
>>
>>387656376
No shit it's not for me, I'm just trying to understand how anyone from any background can find this https://youtu.be/ahL8JEPowFQ?t=3m30s (from 3:30 to 13:20) to be even slightly fun or interesting. I am serious. Watch the gameplay. Why should this be in the game? What purpose does it serve? I can't be buildup because it does the opposite, it just turns me off and makes me disinterested in what follows. Who finds this interesting and how?
>>
>>387653942
>an hour into a JRPG from back when they were thickest

Brah
>>
>>387656921
>Final Fantasy VII came out three/twenty years before DQ7
oops
>>
I think you're just an impatient faggot OP.
>>
>>387656987
right, guess OP would read like

>all i've done is run around a factory with some nigger and two fuckboys i quit, i dont care about planting this bomb

lol
>>
>>387656763
it's simplistic, but I think giving the player agency to perform the ritual themselves creates a sense of wonder that can lead to investment
>>
>>387657458
Give up on this asshole. It's turned to shitposting bait at this point.

Dragon Quest fans don't bother here.
>>
>>387657447
I don't remember the bombing run taking the length of Toy Story to complete.

>>387657458
In that case why not make it twenty little crypts with forty little switches you have to press? It seems like pointless filler to me. I'm not being challenged, I'm not absorbing interesting art or music, I'm not thinking about some dialogue or laughing at jokes. I'm just walking up to a tombstone. Cutscene. Entering a crypt and walking to a button. Cutscene. I walk to the other button. Cutscene. I walk up to the item. Doing it once would be like, okay, whatever. Doing it four times? And the second set of crypts is in a different part of the island? Do you think this is good?
>>
I don't get it, you obviously knew the game was a slow starter but you still made a thread about it?

To reiterate this for the thousandth time. Yes, the game has a really slow start but once it gets going, its a solid JRPG.

If you can't power through the beginning to get to the meat of the game then one has to wonder why youre playing JRPGS in the first place.
>>
>>387658257
Okay, then at what hour does the game become interesting and what is the meaning of the hours leading up to it? The first hour of errands just screams wasteful to me. Character wasn't built, world wasn't really established, everything is as sickeningly flat here at the 90 minute mark as it was at the 10 minute mark. I just don't think the game is using its time wisely.
btw I watched A Space Odyssey from start to finish and at no point was I bored so don't bullshit me with some stock "lole u have ADHD u can't comprehendable a slow pace" response. (Although if you wanted to be clever, you could reply to this post by copy and pasting the part wrapped in quotes, you know, as a clever joke.)
>>
Kingdom Hearts 2 would give you an aneurysm.
>>
>>387655943
>>387656376
>port
It's a remake, you fucking dunces.
>>
>>387659097
Probably, but I played it at launch when I was a kid so nostalgia clouds my vision. Though KH2's intro is a major pain in the ass. A huge tease. At least that game has something sorta interesting going on right off the bat though with the bizarre "They took our _____" thing. KH2 has a whole host of issues though and the intro doesn't build very meaningfully into the rest of the game, so it's all for naught.

>>387659190
We're being condescending.
>>
>>387657874
it's playing off of the heritage of dragon quest, where there are recurring instances of legendary armor that the player must collect. the game is setting itself up so that the cast "enters the world" of dragon quest, so to speak. also, no dragon quest game has ever started as bombastically as a final fantasy, it's just not the style of the series. if you feel like it's wasting your time, just drop it and play something else.
>>
>>387659426
>We were being retarded on purpose
Okay, faggot.
>>
File: dq8ps2_wallpaper_001.jpg (833KB, 1152x864px) Image search: [Google]
dq8ps2_wallpaper_001.jpg
833KB, 1152x864px
The only good DQ game
>>
>>387653942
/v/ memed me into buying this game, you niggers sure got me good but i'm not falling for the DQ meme ever again.
>>
>>387659780
>Babby's first Dragon Quest
i bet you love tales of symphonia, too
>>
>>387655886
>jobs unlocked after 30 hours

nigga the fuck
>>
>>387659780
this one is almost as slow as VII. it's very good though, and being able to speed up battles on the 3DS version is a huge improvement.
>>
>>387659906
>Its popular therefore its babby's first Dragon Quest
>>
>>387653942
>I'm an hour in
OK, problem diagnosed already. It has a pretty damn slow start and only starts being good after 2 or 3 hours. Even then, it only gets to its very best even further in.

Yeah. That's a problem. I'd recommend you stick with it if you like the other games though.
>>
>tfw ordered a 3DS

The thought of playing DQ 3-9 on one handheld is making my dick hard
>>
I find it extremely concerning that no one even attempted to make a counter-argument to that youtube clip of the crypts and the switches beyond "but they all do it". >>387660079 What exactly happens two and three hours in that makes the first hour suddenly retroactively make sense? Or will you agree that the game is just downright bad at the start? This isn't even a Deus Ex situation where the first level happens to be weak, because on replay I can appreciate Liberty Island despite its shortcomings. You guys seem to just be like, "Oh, well, it sucks, but then it doesn't suck. No I won't go into any more detail as to why and how it gets better."
>>
>>387660262
You can also play DQ1 and 2 via SNES VC inject of the English translation romhack. It's easier than it sounds. Not that you'd ever want to play 1 or 2, they've got nothing going on. Strange how all epic legendary JRPG series-- DQ, FF, and BoF, probably more, all of them have really bad first two entries that are just shockingly shallow.
>>
In the original PS1 version, those four crypts actually have puzzles inside of them, they're mini-dungeons, it's not just pressing a button. For some reason they changed it for the 3DS remake. Now it takes an hour instead of two to get to the first battle.

I liked some DQ games, but this one wasn't that good imo. It's really slow, easy and long, so the music becomes really repetitive (and it's not even that good to begin with, we're stuck with shitty midis while japan got the orchestra ost).
>>
>>387660570
>What exactly happens two and three hours in that makes the first hour suddenly retroactively make sense?
The game starts proper. The first few hours pretty much serve only to establish the setting, and the pacing sucks shit. The game steadily builds momentum and gets better over time, though.
>>
>>387653942
>1 hour out of over 70 and he's already on /v/ bitching
Go back to you smartphone games
Also it was my first DQ it's in no way a bad first DQ unless you have ADHD.
Literally disgusting OP
>>
>>387660062
Yeah, that's pretty much it. I'm glad you understand so I don't have to call you a retarde for an hour in some circular argument.
>>
>>387653942
You have a shit attention span, JRPGs aren't the genre for you.
>>
>>387659780
I loved IV-VII but for some reason just didn't care for VIII. I'm not sure why, either. Maybe my expectations were too high.
>>
>>387659780
7 is actually way better than this.
>>
>>387660869
DQ and ff have the excuse of being 30 years old and trying to break into eastern market with casual RPGs. Capcom's excuse is basically bof was their first rpg, though 2 is actually really impressive it's time and arguably a good game held back by a shit translation.

DQ and ff1 are fine though. Sequels are flawed as fuck but original games are fine.
>>
>>387660984
What are the puzzles? Sokobans or something?
>>
Because JRPGs are a wholly trash genre
>>
File: 1601804538200.png (143KB, 579x3264px) Image search: [Google]
1601804538200.png
143KB, 579x3264px
>>387661845
Where have I heard that before?
>>
>>387653942
If you don't like it now you probably won't like it at all. I've enjoyed the other Dragon Quest games that I've played but I found this one incredibly bland. Not bad but bland. You're doing the same thing through the entire game.
>>
>>387661487
Agreed, VIII feels so much slower then any of the other DQ game. Trying to play the ps2 version is impossible for me, battles feel slow as fuck compared to any other DQ. I think itbhas to do with the fact you always have to watch the attack animations.
>>
>>387653942
I was about 60 hours in and the game was still sending me on errands. Literally every part of the game up to where I quit made me visit everywhere two or three times usually just with small changes and half the time you aren't allowed to use Zoom. Fuck going through the same dungeon again right after completing it just to find a single key item.
>>
I recommend dropping it if you haven't already. DQVII is the granddaddy of "it gets good 20 hours in!" Don't let it turn you off to the whole series, though. I liked IV, and VIII is probably one of my all time favorites, but I hated VII.
>>
File: 10587695.gif (12KB, 256x192px) Image search: [Google]
10587695.gif
12KB, 256x192px
>>387653942
Silly OP, DQVII is for those who have played the series for some time and want just pure Dragon Quest with nothing added for a long period of time. It's hit or miss for even veterans but since they're more experienced in backing their DQ opinions you'll naturally think DQVII is great, despite every thread explicitly stating that it should not be an introductory game.
>>
>>387661487
most DQ games have a good way on setting the main character in the beginning of their journey
but 8 just puts you in already as an advanturer
>>
>>387659930
well i got there this afternoon at just over 20, but it is a pretty big ways into the game
>>
File: 1.webm (2MB, 640x352px) Image search: [Google]
1.webm
2MB, 640x352px
commencing dump
>>
File: 2.webm (2MB, 640x352px) Image search: [Google]
2.webm
2MB, 640x352px
>>387667045
>>
File: 3.webm (2MB, 640x352px) Image search: [Google]
3.webm
2MB, 640x352px
>>
File: 4.webm (1MB, 640x352px) Image search: [Google]
4.webm
1MB, 640x352px
>>387667153
>>
File: 5.webm (2MB, 640x352px) Image search: [Google]
5.webm
2MB, 640x352px
>>387667225
>>
File: 6.webm (3MB, 640x352px) Image search: [Google]
6.webm
3MB, 640x352px
>>387667297
slime-chan a qt
>>
Give opinions
VI>V>IV>IX>VII>III>I>II
>>
>>387662102
Read it halfway, it's just cyclical anti-weeb sentiment and slightly racist rhetoric.
>>
>>387667395
VII > III > IV > V > IX > VIII > I > VI > II
>>
>>387662102
>And off they went to do what the Japanese do best
did the writer's ancestors get buttfucked in nanking or something?
>>
>>387666514
>>387663087
These could both have something to do with it. Thinking about it more, I didn't care too much for the skill point system too.
>>
>>387654223

I haven't played the English version's, so I don't know what it's like, but the Nip writing isn't the best I've ever seen.
>>
Is DQ 8 3DS faster paced and what not? Genuinely curious.
>>
>>387669614
It is.
>>
>>387669813
I always thought 8 looked like one of the best games. I picked up 7 and I think I put like 10 hours in. I like it but it's very slow and I can see sorta what OP is saying. Was thinking of just grabbing 8 and trying that out. Not sure though if I should throw down the cash.
>>
>>387653942
You got memed on. DQ3 is much faster paced if you still want to try the series.
>>
>>387653942

Don't fall for the Dragon Quest meme.

There's a reason this shit never took off in the West like it did in Japan.
>>
>>387670339
it's not super hard to be faster paced than dq7 though
honestly if you want to get in the series i would start with one of the earlier games. 8 is a decent starting point but i'd say 3 or 5 are better.
>>
>>387653942

dragon quest epitomizes everything that is wrong with jrpgs

you don't "role play" you play a fucking role in the story as the controller of a stupid retard character with stupid retarded teammates that always fulfill some dumb archetype. The only jrpg that i like is the fire emblem series that only escapes the typical retardation by making me interested in the story, which all JRPGS generally fail to do, stop calling them ROLEPLAYING GAMES THEY'RE "LET ME TELL YOU A STORY" games, they're not FUCKING RPGS. YOU DONT PLAY A GODDAMN ROLE.
>>
File: DHoAPgzU0AAi35-.jpg (430KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
DHoAPgzU0AAi35-.jpg
430KB, 1920x1080px
I'm 80 hours into XI and Im starting to feel the burn. Luckily Im almost done.
>>
>complaining that one of the longest video games ever created is slow
Wew
>>
File: 1445827111480.png (192KB, 501x445px) Image search: [Google]
1445827111480.png
192KB, 501x445px
>>387662102

>icycalm
>>
>tfw marathon the series
>get to VII
>the attacks aren't first person anymore

I'm absolutely loving it, I don't know what your problem is, OP.
>>
>>387671582

I marathoned I-IX two years ago. It was fun, I loved VII.
>>
>>387671753
It really is. I should've done this sooner. I and II were a bit hard to get through in my opinion, but they made III so much more enjoyable. IV-VI is just a good time.
>>
>>387671025
Fire Emblem is a Tactics game, so you don't like any JRPGs.
>>
>>387671025

>you don't "role play"
>you play a fucking role
>YOU DONT PLAY A GODDAMN ROLE.

Okay.
>>
>>387657447
you have your first fight literally after the opening cinematic
>>
>>387660869
You have to remember that prior to DQ1 was shit like Ultima. And Ultima was just plain stupid in retrospect. DQ was the first top-down, story-driven, stat-based console game that took itself seriously ever.

Ever.

Credit where credit is due, man. Sure it's nothing special now, but back then it was mind-blowing.
>>
VII 3ds was my first DQ played to completion. It was fine.
>>
Yeah, uh, no offense, but you should probably kill yourself.
>>
>>387672161

the only "role" you play is the fucking puppetmaster and that's not even a role

it's a controlling aspect
>>
>>387653942
Stay away from dragon quest games all of them are pretty slow starts but end up grabbing you to where you can't put it down later in the game the game is setting up a story but you can't see that.

just stray from RPGs in fact you sound like you have the patience of a small child.
>>
>>387662102
I stopped reading after one paragraph. I get it. This person doesn't like Japanese people. I'm not sitting through the rest of the drivel to explain away everything else based on this prejudice.
>>
>>387670851
I'm beginning to think this. I generally like JRPGs, I tried to get into Dragon Quest, because you know, it's a classic and this huuuge thing in Japan. But I just can't really understand what they see in it. I'm also playing DQ7 right now, 14 hours in, I'm at the island with the robots, but I got up to this point through massive pauses, sometimes I dropped the game for months. I don't really hate it, but it definitely isn't very good either. The whole game system and the story is way too simplistic for my tastes, and it doesn't help that as OP said, it's very much padded with pointless shit, slowing the game down. At this rate it will take forever to finish.
>>
Play DQ 5.
>>
DQ7 is my favorite Dragon Quest game. Opening idea slow but never really effected my enjoyment. Once these ball starts moving is a almost nonstop rollercoaster. Going fun fun adventure to heartbreak sadness. It's a special game that holds no punches unlike many JRPGs.
Thread posts: 86
Thread images: 14

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.