[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

N64 Fan Psychology Thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 6

Yesterday there was a thread about how people came by OoT for the first time. Many had a similar story. They were young and pointed it out to their parents, or their parents wanted it and they inherited it, etc. Now, OoT is (arguably) the best game ever, but I find these stories hard to believe, i.e. that there are so many firsthand owners of a game that sold 8 million copies in '98 and browse /v/ still. Understandably, some pointed out 8 million was a huge number in the days when the industry was still niche. But that only makes it more hard to believe. At least PS1 sold 102 million so there is bound to be some overlap between /v/ and Sony fans. But N64 only sold 32 million in total. What are you first-gen N64 bros doing? What do you play these days? Do you still go back and play your N64? What games have """"aged""" the worse in your opinion?

(Editor's note: There's no such thing as "aging" in games. Only "reevaluating" under a new POV.)
>>
File: 1409698930117.jpg (41KB, 551x551px) Image search: [Google]
1409698930117.jpg
41KB, 551x551px
>>387638864
>>
I don't really play my old N64 anymore because it's better to emulate than play fucking PAL games

I do own a JP N64 and OoT 1.1 but my PAL CRT displays it black and white which is kinda annoying too
>>
File: tiny-bio.png (511KB, 787x518px) Image search: [Google]
tiny-bio.png
511KB, 787x518px
I mostly just play n64 games nowadays.
Still have Mine's connected.
>>
>>387639045
Weeb brainlet
>>
File: 1457895267818.jpg (53KB, 500x383px) Image search: [Google]
1457895267818.jpg
53KB, 500x383px
>>387638864
>(Editor's note: There's no such thing as "aging" in games. Only "reevaluating" under a new POV.)
>>
>>387639136
Yeah but you're not a firsthand owner right? You just bought those on eBay to speedrun like I almost have before, no?

>>387639147
How would you rank the Rare games?
>>
>>387638864
Most of the PS1 owners were normies that don't care enough about video games to go on /v/.
>>
>>387638864
This is one odd post boy
>>
>>387639321
Dude I'm 30, I bought my OoT for 500 Finnish marks when it released here.
>>
File: no more kitty.webm (103KB, 398x398px) Image search: [Google]
no more kitty.webm
103KB, 398x398px
>>387638864
>What are you first-gen N64 bros doing?
Indulging other hobbies and still enjoying vidya

> What do you play these days?
Haven't long beat Witcher 3 (fantastic game) and am currently playing through Nier: Automata (fantastic game)

>Do you still go back and play your N64?
Not as often as I like due to current living arrangements but it's still pretty frequent. Got Duke Zero Hour for Christmas last year so that was a good Christmas.

>What games have """"aged""" the worse in your opinion?
I honestly can't answer this because I still enjoy all my games as much as I did when I first got them.
>>
>>387639323
Probably true, but 4chan is mainstream nowadays.

>>387639361
I've wanted to dig into the minds of the people who saved the N64 for a long time now (American fans). Nintendo was about to die if the N64 hadn't done so well. It could almost be said that Rare (due to Goldeneye) saved Nintendo and by extension the industry. I mean could you imagine no OoT? No MM? No Super Smash Bros? No Operation Winback (and thus no RE4 etc.)?

It was all because of American devs and fans in the end.
>>
>>387638864
Well, I'm here. I was born in 1978, was at university during the N64 era and owned both the system and a copy of OoT (just the grey cartridge, though). I sold my N64 and all its games about seven or eight years ago, along my NES and Dreamcast and pretty respectable collection of games I'd accumulated up to that point.

I didn't own another console until the 360, while I also got rid of about four years ago before I left to go travelling. Last year I got back into gaming and bought a New 3DS XL, which I still own and play on. It's my only console now.

Right now I'm playing through as many of the Metroid games as I can ahead of Samus Returns next month. I've finished the first three and am now playing through Federation Force.

Incidentally, I don't think any of the N64 games really aged that well in their original form. Before I sold my N64 I turned it on to visit the games one last time and everything looked like a big, blurry mess. I love the 3D remake of OoT on the 3DS but doubt I could ever go back to the original.
>>
>>387639586
>Nintendo was about to die if the N64 hadn't done so well
Why do you think this? Nintendo was unstoppable up to that point with the NES, SNES and Game Boy. They'd only really just stumbled for the first time with the Virtual Boy.

There's no way Nintendo was on the ropes at the time the N64 appeared.
>>
I play my Switch and 3DS nowadays. I mostly go back to SNES if I want to play older games, I think that was the best console. If I'm in the mood for N64, typically I'll dig out Bomberman 64 and play it again. That was the best N64 game IMO
>>
>>387639321
That's hard to say because every game has their own appeal.
3D Collectathons
Kazooie>DK64>Conker>Tooie
Shooters
Perfect Dark>Goldeneye
Racing
Diddy Kong Racing>Mickey's Speedway USA
Misc
Jet Force Gemini>Blast Corps>Killer Instinct Gold
Multiplayer
Conker>Goldeneye/PD>DK64>DKR>KIG>Tooie>MSUSA>JFG
>>
>>387639586
Actually I forgot Rare was British back then, but still, American fans saved the system.

>>387639589
OoT3D is actually very similar to the original. It's MM3D that really upped the polish/production value. And personally Metroid Prime 3 is the best shooter of all. But Prime 1 still has the best ambience of any vidya
>>
>>387639270

That's literally correct, though. His only mistake is thinking he needs to point out something so obvious.
>>
>>387639983
I'm really eager to play through the Prime games and am hoping there'll be an HD re-release for the Switch, however unlikely that may be. I also want to play through the GBA games and am hoping those make it to the 3DS or Switch at some point. inb4 just emulate them you retard
>>
>>387639790
I say that because Nintendo cancelled Zelda 64DD which means it was a big deal in my opinion that N64 wasn't so hot in Japan. Miyamoto even said something like "But we're not worried because the system is doing well in America." when asked if the (what would be year-long) delay for OoT was a cause for concern for the system's longevity or some such.
>>
>>387638864
>introduced to many children
>grew up to play frequently
>small group became autists and joined this site
What's so hard to believe?
>>
>>387638864
Playing PC games.
Sold my N64 with no regrets.
Mario 64. Was an important step forward in 3D platformers for sure, but still feels trash by modern standards.
>>
>>387640351
If you look at the numbers, it's clear that Nintendo's big success with the Nintendo 64 was in America. 5.54 million in Japan, 20.63 million in America, 6.75 million other. They were never about to die, though. They were still pulling in profits, including from the massively success of Pokemon and Game Boy. Only time they've lost money was during the early 3DS and Wii U years, and that was pretty minor.
>>
>>387640351
Contrary to what some would have you believe, Zelda and Metroid were never as big of a deal in Japan as they were in the West. BotW is the first Zelda game to go massive in Japan, which may be because of its position as the one big launch title.

>>387640994
>Only time they've lost money was during the early 3DS and Wii U years, and that was pretty minor.
Didn't they go from being able to sustain a billion yen loss each year for 50 years to 12?
>>
File: Consolidated Balance Sheet.jpg (183KB, 1050x728px) Image search: [Google]
Consolidated Balance Sheet.jpg
183KB, 1050x728px
>>387641181
The amount they lost was not very big compared to the profits they were making yearly until then. They started profiting enough to regain the loss afterwards.
>>
>>387638864
It was a big name game on a big name system from a big name company. Most people born around roughly 1992 or earlier probably played it when it was a current gen game. Copies sold means nothing. People played at friends' houses. People borrowed games from friends. People bought second hand. And most significantly, people rented. 8 million copies floating around was more than enough to grant access to almost the entire gaming community in one way or another. And there are plenty of 80s and early 90s kids around /v/, even some 70s. I was born in '86 and rented it right when it came out. Incidentally, found it boring and never bothered buying it or renting it again. Probably should give it a second shot some time.
>>
>>387638864
I first played OoT on the Gamecube. It was fun but I liked Majora's Mask more.
>>
>>387638864
Yeah, really fucking hard to believe that a handful out of 8 million would be browsing this board ...
>>
>>387638864
Sometimes I forget how new and young the average /v/ user is, but then I see posts like these talking about not even 20 fucking years ago like it's some mythical time whose people he's only heard about and never actually met.
>>
>>387645202
Fellow '86fag here, bought it launch week and loved it. Tried the 3DS rerelease and hated it.
>>
> they think aging isn't real
> hindsight is 20/20
Easy to judge a games quality in the future when the platform is better understood rather than during it's release and you have games to compare as well
>>
>>387638864
My older brother rented it when I was like 7-8, so 2000-2001, then he bought MM a bit later, and then later bought OoT. He's only a year older than me, so I guess he heard about it from friends. Or just saw the cover and thought it looked cool, I'm not sure.
>>
Owned an N64 when I was about 4, used it through most of elementary school and it was sold when I got my Wii when I turned 10.
Got a bunch of games for it like SM64, Wayne Gretzky's 3D Hockey (which was fucking dope), Rayman 2, some baseball game, Mario Party 3 and Starfox
I knew at least 5 people who owned Ocarina OP and your mathematical count is incredibly autistic
Thread posts: 33
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.