[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What killed the MMO genre?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 8

File: 1503024828886.jpg (38KB, 447x444px) Image search: [Google]
1503024828886.jpg
38KB, 447x444px
What killed the MMO genre?
>>
The quality decline of WoW, along with the challenges/costs that come with making a compelling MMO world that gives you enough interesting shit to do
>>
File: 1491098373843.jpg (31KB, 480x480px) Image search: [Google]
1491098373843.jpg
31KB, 480x480px
RTS
>>
>>387630240
Free to play.
>>
>>387630240
People growing the fuck up and getting IRL jobs that pay IRL money.
>>
More fun games were released for free.
>>
gear resets
altitis
>>
File: Cxp2UlgUUAID3eh.jpg (42KB, 639x359px) Image search: [Google]
Cxp2UlgUUAID3eh.jpg
42KB, 639x359px
The slow shift from social focused design principles to instanced shitty action games with hub spaces.

If UO's Trammel patch never existed WoW would've been based off of that game rather than Everquest and the genre would still be enormous.
>>
It's a genre based around trying to hook you on one particular game with daily and weekly activities. If you're an MMO fan, you already have an MMO you play.

How could the genre get some crazy popular new entry when everyone was already settled into sinking their time into stuff like Wow? Add to this that most new mmos stuck rigidly to the genre format and failed to be different enough to make someone want to quit their current mmo.
>>
>>387630240
>Time gates
>Lockouts
>"Raid culture"
>Focus on the DPS/Heal/Tank "Trinity" class balance
>The lack of creativity to break out of the standard WoW formula whereas games that came before are still considered a massive success (Anarchy, Nexus, Everquest, Maplestory, Ragnarok, Ultima, Lineage, Runescape, EVE)
>Focus on "MUH STORY" over an interesting game.
Pick any
>>
>>387630240
>chosen one story
>individualist mentality pandering
>no sense of community
>bound items
>bad pvp systems
>>
WoW because nobody wanted to make anything different from them
Chinese games that were just pure grindfests
Pay to win
>>
>>
>>387630240
Diku clones
>>
>>387630240
People growing up and not having time for shitty grind anymore
>>
Monthly fees and the idiots that defend them
>muh content
>>
No Fun Allowed min-maxing faggots killed MMOs. Nothing feels like a real world because no matter how hard devs try there will always be an optimal build, optimal gear, optimal rotations, etc. People inevitably break shit down into a formula and once that happens the game becomes a spreadsheet and statistics simulator.
>>
To kids/teenagers the internet isn't a magical place anymore because they grew up with it. Be glad you experienced the golden age of mmos.
>>
>>387632327
I like this. A large amount of people in one place dealing with the inconvenient world.

Only problem with this is that people interested in mmos have become used to the conveniences and qol of their previous games. A developer going for the inconvenient route will need to be creative and create new way things can be inconvenient, or at least dress up the old ways in a manner that makes players feel interested overcoming them.
>>
>>387630240
Casuals and micro transactions.
>>
>>387632629
Besides monthly subscriptions and f2p with microtransactions, what other methods of monitization are there? Surely there are other (hopefully better) ways you can get people to part with their money. Asking for a friend.
>>
People refined their tastes.
>>
>>387632327
Completely agree. MMOs will never be good again.
>>
>>387630240
wow became the "good enough" of the genre, making it difficult for competitors to be profitable
many tried, but since they didn't have as many man-years put into content people would always stick to wow, ensuring that other games would never get those man-years of dev time
>>
>>387632629
I'd take monthly fee over any other model in current time. Microtransactions with skins and other garbage account services completely ruin MMOs.
>>
>>387632281
>WoW because nobody wanted to make anything different from them

Maybe because anything different from WoW that is made dies instantly. Just take a look at GW2, the whole premise of that game was being different from the standard MMO and it turned out to have the worst combat ever and is now just an ERP hovel.

And then you can look at FFXIV a game in which the lead developer is quoted on numerous occasions in saying that he wants to make a copy of WoW but with chocobos. And its the second most popular MMO behind WoW.
>>
File: Blizzard_Entertainment_Logo.svg.png (95KB, 1200x630px) Image search: [Google]
Blizzard_Entertainment_Logo.svg.png
95KB, 1200x630px
>>387630240
THE ICE AGE
>>
>>387630240

Competing online games. Xbox live etc
>>
File: arnold_kindergarten_cop_no2.jpg (72KB, 600x379px) Image search: [Google]
arnold_kindergarten_cop_no2.jpg
72KB, 600x379px
>>387634761
Fucking kek I read this in Arnies Voice.
>>
>>387632327
There's really not much to say. There won't be any dev willing to take the risk of the inconvenience route. MMO are doomed.
>>
>>387630240
Everything trying to be a WoW clone.
>>
>>387630240
The only good ones becoming shit and then a ton of worthless shit trying to copy the good ones that turned to shit.

>>387634954
Who wouldn't?
>>
>>387634761
I can never unhear THE ICE AGE every time someone asked what killed x
>>
>>387635021
>There won't be any dev willing to take the risk of the inconvenience route
>pantheon
>camelot unchained
but sure
>>
File: trexdog.jpg (328KB, 2048x2048px) Image search: [Google]
trexdog.jpg
328KB, 2048x2048px
>>387630529
>>
>>387632452
That's not what ruined the MMO genre, that's what ruined it for you. And desu, you're not trying hard enough.
>>
File: 1344047432432.jpg (44KB, 500x333px) Image search: [Google]
1344047432432.jpg
44KB, 500x333px
>>387635037
>Who wouldn't?

Didn't see the OP, so I guess that made it more funny to me. But if I were to answer your rhetoric question: I could thing of a few ppl or groups.
>>
WOW becoming the big dog, then proceeded to turn the entire genre into shit
Thread posts: 38
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.